• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discotheque said:
And why does Buckethead have a problem with Jay Z and Eminem on that list but not Wayne? Are you serious? Call me when Lil Wayne makes a Reasonable Doubt.
I just saw the others and responded to those two.

I don't get the Lil Wayne craze or most dirty south rappers to be honest.
Jay/Em are definitely above him and wouldn't even put him in the running.

enzo_gt said:
This song was dope as fuck back in the day and still is. Way I Am has some crazy rhymes in it too, a really good song altogether.
Yeah it's a good song on the whole but the lyrics are ass.

The one I mentioned earlier plus "the radio won't even play my jams" just drive me up the wall.
When has Eminem had problems getting on the radio? When he submitted mixtapes before his giant record deal?

Seems like persecution for persecution's sake.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Buckethead said:
I abhor Lil Wayne.

I just saw the others and responded to those two. I don't get the Lil Wayne craze or most dirty south rappers to be honest.

The one I mentioned earlier plus "the radio won't even play my jams" just drive me up the wall.
When has Eminem had problems getting on the radio? When he submitted mixtapes before his giant record deal?

I always thought this was in reference to people calling for him to be banned from certain radio stations. This was right when Eminem blew up and controversy was highest. But I sorta see where you're coming from.

shadowcomplex said:
i must say his gift is almost scary good.
final version is amazing, kanye is a true artist
So awesome, found it on the After School Mixtape. Was one of those unofficial mixtapes, but it's also where I discovered the Get By Remix (<3 <3 <3) and the original version of Home.

..and the Through The Wire Remix. But lets just pretend that doesn't exist from now on...

Recon

Banned
Buckethead said:
I just saw the others and responded to those two.

I don't get the Lil Wayne craze or most dirty south rappers to be honest.
Jay/Em are definitely above him and wouldn't even put him in the running.

For awhile after The Slim Shady LP dropped, a lot of radio stations werent playing his stuff for various reasons. I explicitly remember this because it pissed me off at the time.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Greg said:
I enjoy Kid Cudi's new CD more.

But I also really enjoyed 808s, so my opinion is invalid.
5thSc.png

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Why did he ruin Runaway with that horrible vocal sample?

Although it doesnt have the sheer amount of potential radio hits that Late Registration had, I think Kanye might finally be getting that Grammy he wants.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Greg said:
I enjoy Kid Cudi's new CD more.

Bravo :lol

HiResDes said:
Beat is busy, as fuck, if it were slightly simpler it would bang harder...Plus minus 2 points for Nikki's spastic bullshit.
Aw man, the wreckless beat is exactly why I like it. It's one of those "don't give a fuck" kind of songs. Fits in with the dark and twistedness of the album fairly well.

Greg said:
Welcome to the club! Not sure if I like 808s more than MBDTF, leaning towards not, but it's minimalism and discipline is great stuff.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy shit, Nicki Minaj is pretty fucking awesome.
Eww. Not another one of those. :lol

Greg

Buckethead said:
Welcome to the club! Not sure if I like 808s more than MBDTF, leaning towards not, but it's minimalism and discipline is great stuff.
So far I definitely like 808s more, but maybe it just needs some more listens. I wasn't following all of his weekly releases as religiously as most people here, so 95% of this is fresh to me. And an explicit version would probably help.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait you've been on blackout too?

I want to know what you think of So Appalled, Hell of a Life, Lost in the World and especially All of the Lights.

Pimpwerx

shadowcomplex said:
fixed
a milli is NOT a song!
I hate when people say shit like that. A Milli is as much a song as Go DJ and Where You At. If you're from the South, you know that's what put Weezy on the map in the first damn place. So, no, A Milli certainly wasn't the low-point of Carter3. That song was more true to his roots than a lot of that album. Carter3 was down there with 500 Degreez in quality IMO.

IMO, Weezy's best album is still The Prefix. I can't remember how much hate that mixtape got, but he rode every notable Jay-Z beat and slayed 'em. He was on a roll during that time too, with Lilweezyana and the first Dedication (which I liked more than the last two). PEACE.

enzo_gt said:
Wait you've been on blackout too?

I want to know what you think of So Appalled, Hell of a Life, Lost in the World and especially All of the Lights.

Well, Lost In The World gets a bit ruined by the end, which I mentioned up thread. He added too too too much shit over it. So Appaled is really good, Hell Of A Life is really good, the intro to All of the Lights into All of the Lights is an amazing moment.

andymcc

Banned
Buckethead said:
I'm being a bit of an ass, but yeah it's pretty cool, I just hate it when she starts slurring/fast mumbling.

but you can understand every word she says. i don't understand. i don't really care for her as an artist, but this performance is the highlight of the song. she eviscerates Jay-Z, Kanye and Rick Ross (that goes without saying, though....).

Pimpwerx

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's what I'm saying. She pretty much Renegaded Jay and Ye on that track. :lol She did a good job on the Sweet Dreams Remix on the No Ceilings mixtape too. Girl can spit when she's not trying too hard to sound hard. PEACE.

I love the lengthier songs. Far too many albums are put out with only 12 or so, 2-3 minute tracks. Bout time we get some throw back anthem-type shit with tons of different verses. Gives me a total "Triumph" vibe. Eminem is also good at putting lengthy tracks on his albums. More rappers should follow this idea.

HiResDes

Pimpwerx said:
I hate when people say shit like that. A Milli is as much a song as Go DJ and Where You At. If you're from the South, you know that's what put Weezy on the map in the first damn place. So, no, A Milli certainly wasn't the low-point of Carter3. That song was more true to his roots than a lot of that album. Carter3 was down there with 500 Degreez in quality IMO.

IMO, Weezy's best album is still The Prefix. I can't remember how much hate that mixtape got, but he rode every notable Jay-Z beat and slayed 'em. He was on a roll during that time too, with Lilweezyana and the first Dedication (which I liked more than the last two). PEACE.

I think Weezyaveli is his best mixtape, although that might actually be a compilation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
I think Weezyaveli is his best mixtape, although that might actually be a compilation.
:lol 2pac is rolling in his grave over this bs. Just at the sound of this reminds me of this I watched earlier today @ 3:59 :lol :lol :lol Baracka Flocka Flames!

I fucking hate Nicki Minaj, but I can't be mad at:
Go Hard (Remix)
Monster
Sweet Dreams off No Ceilings

Other than that, I hope her career takes a turn for the worse on 11/22, unless she stops her stupid fake barbie, purposely crafted image bullshit.

Pimpwerx

shadowcomplex said:
i must say his gift is almost scary good.
final version is amazing, kanye is a true artist
Interesting. The start gave me vibes of Life In A Movie off Freshmen Adjustment (greatest Ye beat ever?) but I didn't expect it to go New Workout Plan on me after the opening. He's versatile enough, but I really love when he remixes old songs like that. PEACE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pimpwerx said:
Interesting. The start gave me vibes of Life In A Movie off Freshmen Adjustment (greatest Ye beat ever?) but I didn't expect it to go New Workout Plan on me after the opening. He's versatile enough, but I really love when he remixes old songs like that. PEACE.
wut? Link please?

And I was thinking about that earlier today, hows about that GAF? Greatest Ye beat ever?

Such a difficult question. Some songs come to mind, in no particular order:

Never Let Me Down
Get By
Through the Wire
Diamonds from Sierra Leone
Down & Out (Cam)
Family Business
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Drive Slow
Welcome to Heartbreak
Lucifer (not a great but damn, I love this shit)
Izzo
Encore
This Way (Dilated Peoples)
Dreams (Game)

Okay that list grew unnaturally :lol

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Pimpwerx said:

first and foremost i still do not consider a mili a song as far as i am conserned it was never made. and this is coming person who loved the song "go dj"and its not like carter 3 was total shit. i liked lalala(not the album version) , comfortable, let the beat build, shoot me down...etc (also i think the last three were produced by kanye, just saying could be wrong though.) but it was what it was, and it was the start of his lazy rapping. i don't care who put what on which map, i like fucking love music and a milli was barely a song and wtf was phone home, also the album version of la la la was worse than the throw away. i know he has talent, he has shown it in the past, i just wish he would show it again.

Sebulon3k said:
that beat, damn simply amazing.
you should really look at enzo's post they way ye put the beat together was almost magical, honestly so much respect for kanye it's like he could make wine from water.

Pimpwerx

enzo_gt said:
wut? Link please?

Livin' In A Movie

If you didn't hear that, you might not have heard some of the other tracks from that mixtape.

Arguable the best version of Home ft John Legend (instead of Coldplay dude)
Apologize
And I was thinking about that earlier today, hows about that GAF? Greatest Ye beat ever?

Never Let Me Down
Get By
Through the Wire
Down & Out (Cam)
Family Business
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Drive Slow
Welcome to Heartbreak
Izzo
Encore
Dreams (Game)

I'd add Girls, Girls, Girls pt 2. I'm a sucker for Motown or anything like it, so that song kills it for me every time. I also thought he did some instrumental track on one of Talib's albums or mixtapes that was insane. Sounded like some African beat or something. I can't remember. PEACE.

Oozer3993

enzo_gt said:
wut? Link please?

Never Let Me Down
Get By
Through the Wire
Down & Out (Cam)
Family Business
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Drive Slow
Welcome to Heartbreak
Izzo
Encore
Dreams (Game)

Talk About Our Love (Brandy)
Find Your Love (Drake)
Stronger
All of the Lights
Lost in the World
You Don't Know My Name (Alicia Keys)
Heartless
Love Lockdown
Me Against the Music (Remix) (Britney)
The Game (Common)
Testify (Common)
Everything I Love (Diddy)
Used to Love You (John Legend)
Flashing Lights
Good Life
Jesus Walks
I Wonder
Addiction
I've Been Waiting on You (Miri Ben Ari)
Brand New (Rhymefest)
This Love (Remix) (Maroon 5)
What If (Remix) (Ruben Studdard)

Wow, that's a lot lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oozer3993 said:
Find Your Love (Drake)
Stronger
All of the Lights
Lost in the World
You Don't Know My Name (Alicia Keys)
Heartless
Love Lockdown
Me Against the Music (Remix) (Britney)
The Game (Common)
Testify (Common)
Everything I Love (Diddy)
Used to Love You (John Legend)
Flashing Lights
Good Life
Jesus Walks
I Wonder
Addiction
I've Been Waiting on You (Miri Ben Ari)
Brand New (Rhymefest)
This Love (Remix) (Maroon 5)
What If (Remix) (Ruben Studdard)

Wow, that's a lot lol
Will check out some of these songs I haven't heard before!
And you reminded me,
The People (Common)

Love that.

Ashhong

shadowcomplex said:
its just my top three, i could try and order the entire album from favorite to least favorite but just picking these three was hard enough. what are your top three?

ASK FERGIE!

I have no clue what my top 3 are. If i had to choose right now though...

Lost in the World
Dark Fantasy
All of the Lights + Interlude OR Hell of a Life

In no particular order. I can't stop listening to the first two. I think AOTL inches out Hell of a Life.

Also, this album is a whole nother experience in the car. Its just so much better. The bass in Monster is ridiculously awesome too.

Haha, I always thought "Living in a Movie" was called Scary Movie. That's what I called it. Wait was that from some mixtape? I only have a few singles...Freshmen Adjustment?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Expendable. said:
Yeah, pre-LR I was addicted to Kanye. I'm glad I kind of stayed away from GOOD Friday now though.
You mean your glad you stayed away from the leaks! G.O.O.D. Fridays have been incredible. Christian Dior Denim Flow to Looking for Trouble to the Power Remix. Good shit all around.

Snakeyes

enzo_gt said:
And I was thinking about that earlier today, hows about that GAF? Greatest Ye beats ever?

Two Words
Dreams (Game)
Encore (Jay-Z)
Chi-City (Common)
Go! (Common)
Flashing Lights
Overnight Celebrity (Twista)
Diamonds
Wouldn't Get Far (Game)
The Truth (Beanie Sigel)
Poppa Was a Player (Nas)

enzo_gt said:
You mean your glad you stayed away from the leaks! G.O.O.D. Fridays have been incredible. Christian Dior Denim Flow to Looking for Trouble to the Power Remix. Good shit all around.

I loved the Power remix, but haven't heard the other two. If they aren't bonus tracks on the album, I'll grab them.

MickD

I have listened to this about 20X since the leak.

1.Dark Fantasy
2.Power
3.Blame Game or All of the Lights

Album is 10/10

Speaking of Good Fridays - Christian Dior Denim Flow is off the hook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom