• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West's last minute fashion show angers designers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Kanye West, designer of this
259FE78C00000578-2951996-Wearable_It_is_yet_to_be_seen_whether_every_day_fashion_fans_wil-a-16_1423828331058.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/entertainment/kanye-west-nyfw-feat/index.html
(CNN)Rapper Kanye West has managed to offend some folks during New York Fashion Week.

Imagine that.

The star added a last-minute show to NYFW to present his Kanye West X Adidas Originals Collection on Wednesday -- which did not endear him to some other designers. Anne Bowen told Women's Wear Daily that the move left her scrambling for other plans to launch her streetwear collection, Nomad VII by Anne Bowen, as her showing was booked as the same time as West's.

"We have been prepping for a year for this at considerable financial, labor- and commitment-cost to our company," Bowen said. "Our show date has been scheduled for months and has been on the Fashion Calendar for weeks. We went through all the proper channels to make this a reality."

West is often known to make a splash, and Bowen called him out for using his celeb status to make the bold move with the seemingly impromptu show.

"Kanye knows he is a media sensation and it is just not ethical to do this," said Bowen, who moved her show to Thursday and lodged a complaint with the Council of Fashion Designers of America Fashion Calendar. "It's like we are David and he is Goliath. We have put our heart and soul into our show, and should not be stepped on like this."
And the shade
Designer Naeem Khan is presenting his evening wear collection at the same time as the West showing and told WWD that he was not concerned about the conflict.

"I am confident that the fans of the brand and those in industry who truly appreciate the art of design and craftsmanship will come out to support us," Khan said. "I am thrilled with the new collection and we are looking forward to a great show."

DOWN

Banned
"Ethical"?

You had your time. It's Kanye's time now.
no her point is she didn't get her time because a celebrity with more money is doing a surprise show when her properly scheduled show was already set and that's stressful

I like Kanye trying at fashion but it seems a bit inconsiderately privileged to schedule a show during other people's shows without notice when those other shows may not have the money to change anything

Hoo-doo

Banned
Does the fashion world take Ye's stuff seriously in any way though?

Sure he might have stole some of their thunder, but will hardcore fashionistas care?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
That's obviously part of the art that he was trying to portray, that his clothing line represents the people whom have the tendency to make people upset.

Rembrandt

Banned
no her point is she didn't get her time because a celebrity with more money is doing a surprise show when her properly scheduled show was already set and that's stressful

I like Kanye trying at fashion but it seems a bit inconsiderately privileged to schedule a show during other people's shows without notice when those other shows may not have the money to change anything

there are tons of shows going on at the same time. she's just mad she's getting overshadowed by someone that's not a designer 100% of the time. he doesn't owe her the privilege of picking another time when numerous people aren't also.

Guevara

The one time I saw Kayne was actually at Fashion Week. Probably ~2010 or so. He just came storming through while I was on the way to another tent.

rambis

Banned
If she had to scramble to accommodate the show then I can understand the anger. But if she is just salty that she now has to compete against Ye for attention then maybe she should find another day job.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I guess the fashion industry doesn't have to adhere to the rules of competition and capitalism?

I guess these are all tax-exempt charity organizations and not businesses?

I guess it's "unethical" of Versace to sell loud handbags at exceptional markups while mom and pop handbag manufacturers suffer?

I guess the fashion industry doesn't have to adhere to the rules of competition and capitalism?

I guess these are all tax-exempt charity organizations and not businesses?

I guess it's "unethical" of Versace to sell loud handbags at exceptional markups while mom and pop handbag manufacturers suffer?

A great big 'whatever' to this complaint by the other fashion designers.

Kanye could double down and announce he's bringing his wife to his event too. Or he could play nice guy and have his wife attend the other fashion show during his.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kanye is as much a "designer" as I am an actual dragon irl. I'm not an actual dragon irl; I'm a tiger.

Nah that's just a sour grapes complaint. Would she complain about a competing show running late, which happens 99% of the time? Doubt it.

Also while kanye's stuff is lame and derivative to me it's not the only lame and derivative shit being plopped out during fashion week. Desingers worried about this line stealing focus from them; well, thems the breaks?

Kanyes fashion rants have always been stupid...dude basically feels he can use his cash and celebrity to buy his way in to the industry

Its people who have been sewing and working at that shit since they were 12

You aren't owed anything

Kyzer

Banned
Hmm... The real bad thing here is that in a sense kanye is making it hard for the little guy which was his whole thing g during his yeezus campaign rants

AJLma

They sound afraid of competition. Kanye is always talking about how the fashion industry tries to roadblock him lol.

Kanyes fashion rants have always been stupid...dude basically feels he can use his cash and celebrity to buy his way in to the industry

Its people who have been sewing and working at that shit since they were 12

You aren't owed anything

It's almost as bad as all of the fashion designers who think they can have a rap career because they know what sunglasses to wear.

lolmark

It's weird that Kanye is being accused of being unethical, when prior to signing with Adidas he blew up on Sway about not being able to break through in the fashion world. It's Kanye's time.

It's almost as bad as all of the fashion designers who think they can have a rap career because they know what sunglasses to wear.

I was going to use that example...but you can buy your way into the music industry

But you still have to have talent

It would be different if dude was humble... But he's not...and that's going to hurt you making connects

Hmm... The real bad thing here is that in a sense kanye is making it hard for the little guy which was his whole thing g during his yeezus campaign rants
Eh if you are buying from the little guy who shows during New York fashion week, you probably aren't going to buy from Kanye anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom