• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Amada and Koromaru confirmed as playable in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Tabby

Can't believe we're getting Ken but not FeMC, make her canon already damn it.

He looks grown up. Now I don't have to feel bad about beating the crap out of him

Westlo

Koromaru has a hoodie? WTF

Swagmaru
banderas.png

Man, I don't even care about the Thing Ken does in P3 that everyone else hates, I just didn't like him as a character. (Though he's merely average when it comes to kids in video games--he's better than Karol in Vesperia and mf'in Hope in FFXIII, for example.) That said, the new design isn't bad. Didn't think he'd turn into a pretty-boy type, though.

Curious: so do all their moves use Koromaru's persona? And if so, is that an implication that Ken doesn't have a persona anymore? (Didn't the no-longer-canon Trinity Soul anime establish that kind of thing could happen when you get older?) Or are there other screenshots I'm missing?

FluxWaveZ

Curious: so do all their moves use Koromaru's persona? And if so, is that an implication that Ken doesn't have a persona anymore? (Didn't the no-longer-canon Trinity Soul anime establish that kind of thing could happen when you get older?) Or are there other screenshots I'm missing?

No, look closer to the first gameplay screenshot. Kala-Nemi is the Persona in the small TV under Ken's portrait. The Famitsu article also states that Kala-Nemi and Cerberus are represented in battle.

Nice, Ken's makeover/growth helps make me forget how much of a dick he was. Let's hope this doesn't turn like Anakin in the prequel movies where he goes from unlikable know-it-all brat to absolutely insufferable jerk.
Koro is great.

Korigama

Man, I don't even care about the Thing Ken does in P3 that everyone else hates, I just didn't like him as a character. (Though he's merely average when it comes to kids in video games--he's better than Karol in Vesperia and mf'in Hope in FFXIII, for example.) That said, the new design isn't bad. Didn't think he'd turn into a pretty-boy type, though.

That has a lot to do with why it's not canonical.

bonercop

Ken's redesign is a bit boring compared to the ridiculous looks Mitsuru, Akihiko, Junpei and Yukari are sporting. I think I might even prefer his goofy 3-layer look in P3.

I like the Koromaru part of this arrangment, tho.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I should also mention that it's stated that they both fight as one, alongside each other.

AW YEAH GURL. KEN IS THE CARL OF P4U.

Which means I can't use him for the salt. :(

P3 spoilers
He gets a very likable character killed.

That said, I'll give him a fair shot.

Except that likable character would've been dead anyway? Running with Strega and all that for a bit. Besides, he's only in the game for what... 5 hours before his death?

I'm digging it overall, especially Koro wearing Kens old hoodie, but man his hair is feminine. Will he be voiced by someone else now that puberty hit him?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Koromaru!!!

I love dogs in real life, and Koromaru was an awesome in-game dog. Every single time, no matter what games P3, P3:FES, and P3P, I maxed out his social link.

.... Ken looks kind of scary. Kind of like "I'm going to touch you all over your no-nos" scary...

That said, I haven't played P4A, is the story mode enough to carry the game if that's all I purchase it for? Is Ultimax a continuation of it's story? A sequel?

As in, if I want to play the games for the story, would I have to buy and play P4A first? Or will Ultimax have all of the story elements from P4A?

FluxWaveZ

That said, I haven't played P4A, is the story mode enough to carry the game if that's all I purchase it for? Is Ultimax a continuation of it's story? A sequel?

As in, if I want to play the games for the story, would I have to buy and play P4A first? Or will Ultimax have all of the story elements from P4A?

P4A is the official sequel to Persona 4. It has a repetitive 20 hour story mode which details what the P3 and P4 cast (mostly the former) have been up to since the end of their respective games.

Ultimax is the sequel to Persona 4 Arena that takes place directly after the first game ends. It will have a voluminous story mode split between what is currently known as Episode P3 and Episode P4, conveying arcs depicting the perspective of the casts they pertain to. There is a story chapter by the name of P-GP that might summarize the events of the first game.

P4A is the official sequel to Persona 4. It has a repetitive 20 hour story mode which details what the P3 and P4 cast (mostly the former) have been up to since the end of their respective games.

Ultimax is the sequel to Persona 4 Arena that takes place directly after the first game ends. It will have a voluminous story mode split between what is currently known as Episode P3 and Episode P4, conveying arcs depicting the perspective of the casts they pertain to. There is a story chapter by the name of P-GP that might summarize the events of the first game.

Thank you very much, this is what I wanted to know. Might have to see if I can find P4A for a decent price then.

alstein

.... Ken looks kind of scary. Kind of like "I'm going to touch you all over your no-nos" scary...

Unknown, but P4A is a fighting game, you don't really get a whole lot of story with it. More than most fighting games, but it's not a story game.

My big concern right now is that they'll make all these new chars DLC on top of a $60 game. $60+ no char DLC= happy.

P4A has been on sale quite a few times this year- seen it as low as $7.50

FluxWaveZ

Unknown, but P4A is a fighting game, you don't really get a whole lot of story with it. More than most fighting games, but it's not a story game.

Did you play P4A's story mode? I think most would argue that it has too much story (as in, directed poorly and padded out where it could have been 50% shorter).

I'd argue that the game's as much about its mechanics as its narrative, which was Atlus' goal with the whole thing.

Isn't Ken still too young to be in high school? I assumed he was 10-11 in P3.

He would be 13 in P4AU. Famitsu article states that he is in eighth grade.

Did you play P4A's story mode? I think most would argue that it has too much story (as in, directed poorly and padded out where it could have been 50% shorter).

I'd argue that the game's as much about its mechanics as its narrative, which was Atlus' goal with the whole thing.

Too much text, not enough actual plot, way too much repetition and confusion with nothing in the TV world adding up from story mode to story mode. P4A Ultimax being split into just two big stories, P3 and P4, will surely improve most of my gripes with P4A's story.

Giving every character their own story mode for the sake of not leaving anyone out/variety made it rather confusing on what ACTUALLY happened in P4A. I mean the general story I get, but Im looking forward to that recap thing to explain what was actually canon in the first game.

Shoulda just done like MK and have a story mode where you take control over certain characters throughout one story.

Givong every character their own story mode for the sake of not leaving anyone out/variety made it rather confusing on what ACTUALLY happened in P4A. I mean the general story I get, but Im looking forward to that recap thing to explain what was actually canon in the first game.

Shoulda just done like MK and have a story mode where you take control over certain characters throughout one story.

They are fixing this in P4A Ultimax, there is just two stories, P3 and P4

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I see that. Makes me optimistic then. Hopefully they'll be a third one that ties the two together at the end. (Knowing ASW I'm assuming that'll be the case anyways)

Yeah, I'm also really looking forward to the P-GP chapter to know exactly how things went down in P4A, and it's likely there'll be a final chapter after both Episode P3 and Episode P4 are done.
I'm guessing slot one is for P-GP. Slot two is for Episode P3. Slot three is there, Episode P4. The last one could be a final chapter. There was also the pre-order DLC in Japan which was revealed to be an epilogue story which details some things that happen after the end of Ultimax.

Ken has sure grown lol.

Still never liked him but Koromaru is awesome.

Man looks like we have seen everyone from SEES.....except Minato ;____;

Top Bottom