• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar endorses XXXTENTACION's new album.

Tweet here.
pH76PAb.png
Second tweet that implies he's listened to it at least 5 times.
Is this the beginning of Kendrick's downfall? Has Drake finally exacted his revenge for the subliminal disses? Or is this the work of Big Sean?

EDIT: some context:

I believe you're aware of who Kendrick Lamar is, otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread.

XXXTENTACION, or X or even XXX, is a Florida rapper who's gained a lot of attention over the past year for his music and even more for his actions outside of it. He's namely been known for the fact he beat his pregnant ex-girlfriend viciously and was subsequently temporarily jailed for it. For many people, that's become his defining action.

The reason I posted this was because Kendrick, as a rapper, has built his brand partially on being socially aware and his endorsement of a known woman beater appears at odds with that. Like someone above said, Kendrick has mentioned in his work that he struggles with doing the right thing at times, and so, I'm curious to see how people interpret his endorsement of a controversial figure.

If people are wondering what X did,
Yea, can't really disagree. I mean dude really hurt her. Shit ain't cool.

LordKasual

Banned
If there's any current rapper with an vouch worth anything, Kendrick is one of them

I'm not a fan of XXX as a person but now i'm intrigued

Ivan 3414

Kendrick is influenced by "problematic" music, created by "problematic" people, and has plenty of troubling lyrics in his own music. And he's into emo shit; at one point he said his favorite artist at the moment was Earl Sweatshirt.

People shouldn't be surprised by this turn of events.

Ignoring XXX as a person I'm sure Kendrick wouldn't endorse something if he didn't feel strong artistic emotion from it.

I'll try to listen to it with this in mind ignoring how I personally feel about the artist...

collige

Banned
Kendrick is influenced by "problematic" music, created by "problematic" people, and has plenty of troubling lyrics in his own music. And he's into emo shit; at one point he said his favorite artist at the moment was Earl Sweatshirt.

Come on, even early Earl is leagues above XXX.

TissueBox

Well, if people didn't jump the boat after Lil' Wayne then this should probably hold.

EDIT: Though really, I haven't really been keeping with this XXX fellow. I just think if anything, if K-Dot likes this record now he'd probably have liked it a while back too. Controversial artist or no. :p

for liking an album?
Not just any album, the album of a man known for allegedly beating his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

He's a controversial figure in hip-hop and I'm sure Kendrick's endorsement just adds more fuel onto the fire that hip-hop tends to protect awful men. With Kendrick's status as one of the most socially aware rappers in popular music, I'm sure people are not happy with this.

Never heard of that guy, what you mean his downfall and why?

X is a controversial figure in hip-hop today to say the least. See this thread as an example. Kendrick's endorsement of XXX also acts as a tacit acceptance of X's status as a known woman beater, which comes at odds with the persona he's cultivated of being a socially aware artist. I think he'll be scrutinized for this, though I don't know whether music media is going to make a big deal of this or not.

Earl is leagues above this dude

datbapple

Banned
Love Kendrick but dude is buggin.aint no way he should be endorsing this woman beating piece of shit. Lame ass xxx nigga beat his own girl up so bad she had blindness in one eye smh.

Kendrick is an artist whose music fully examines the duality of his own ideals juxtapose to the influence of his surroundings growing up. This is especially evident on DAMN.

I don't think anyone who is familiar with Kendrick's work would be willing to call him out on the hypocrisy/purity test tip when he doesn't hide that he's facing an internal struggle in terms of what he wants to be vs what he is.

Bry0

Have any of you actually listened to this album? I'm not surprised Kendrick likes it. I enjoyed it myself.

Why is the worthy of a thread? There's literally no explanation of why this matters in the OP.
I believe you're aware of who Kendrick Lamar is, otherwise you wouldn't be in this thread.

XXXTENTACION, or X or even XXX, is a Florida rapper who's gained a lot of attention over the past year for his music and even more for his actions outside of it. He's namely been known for the fact he beat his pregnant ex-girlfriend viciously and was subsequently temporarily jailed for it. For many people, that's become his defining action.

The reason I posted this was because Kendrick, as a rapper, has built his brand partially on being socially aware and his endorsement of a known woman beater appears at odds with that. Like someone above said, Kendrick has mentioned in his work that he struggles with doing the right thing at times, and so, I'm curious to see how people interpret his endorsement of a controversial figure.

Ivan 3414

Come on, even early Earl is leagues above XXX.

Earl is leagues above this dude

We can argue about talent but what I'm saying is Kendrick being into melancholy angsty shit shouldn't come as a shock.

Kendrick knows more about hip hop than anyone here, regardless of "taste".

Ok. But this thread is about his taste; his opinion isn't objectively correct just because he makes good albums.

see5harp

I listened to half today. Surprisingly listenable. More so than the Uzi tape which may not mean much depending on your taste.

Syder

Sounds like an all round garbage human being but some people can separate the work from it's creators actions, I guess. The OP could do with this information, to be honest.

kikiribu

It's a very good album. Judging the music based on how you feel about some of the things he's done in his personal life doesn't make the album less good. Also, calling this Kendrick's "downfall", are you serious?

see5harp

I have no problem admitting that some of the outside behavior is sus, specifically when it matches up with the lyrics in his music. I also have no problem admitting that I enjoyed what I listened to. It's a huge departure from his normal edgy aggro rap.

Maridia

Album is great. Strangely, it's almost more of a rock album than a rap album. Of course, in 2017, that's a really blurry line.

daman824

This is the guy who tweeted about throat fucking someone's underage sister right?

He also beat his pregnant girlfriend senseless. Sorry Kendrick, can't listen.

Shearie

I listened to this album today based solely on his infamy and hype from the hip hop press and I came away impressed. I really liked it. The other hip hop album released that I was personally hyped for, Lil Uzi Vert's Luv Is Rage 2, was disappointing and pretty mediocre.

Armadilo

Banned
I listened to this album today based solely on his infamy and hype from the hip hop press and I came away impressed. I really liked it. The other hip hop album released that I was personally hyped for, Lil Uzi Vert's Luv Is Rage 2, was disappointing and pretty mediocre.

Yeah lil uzi had the hype but xxx delivered

spelen

Not to minimize or endorse violence in any shape or form but ppl have to at least realize that many MANY highly respected rappers have committed some sort of reported/alleged violence particularly against women. The question is what should be done. Do a separate the art from the artist or must we put them together.

Moonkid

I feel like he could make a song about this. But yeah, jmon Kendrick. Not cool and Im sure this will disappoint a lot of his fans.

riotous

Banned
Kendrick listened to that intro while huffing his own farts and listening to DAMN backwards and was like "Yeah bro, that's deep.. 17... yeah."

(on my first listen I do like the record, but co-signing this dude is still corny)

Top Bottom