• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar endorses XXXTENTACION's new album.

Spinluck

I don't know how or why Kendrick is viewed as a conscious rapper tbh. He's dope, but I think his being viewed as woke is setting the bar really low.

Kendrick used to walk that fine line, but I'd say he's pretty mainstream now. Doesn't take away from his music though.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Kendrick is right, album is good.

Being a trash human doesn't take away from a good product. I mean we can say it does but then we'd have to take a serious look at everything we use and consume on a daily basis.

Kendrick is right, album is good.

Being a trash human doesn't take away from a good product. I mean we can say it does but then we'd have to take a serious look at everything we use and consume on a daily basis.

That's on you if you want to support the album. There are other rappers that are as equally as good as X. Some of us are now getting tired of all these milkshake ducks. I can't take X wanting to help out the little man seriously when he has no problem having his fans turn on his ex gf by calling her a liar.

Ivan 3414

The sooner y'all wake up from this "Kendrick is the saviour of rap" dream the better

I don't subscribe to the "King Kendrick" school of thought but your point is only tangentially related to this thread at best. Kendrick cosigning a rapper you don't like doesn't exactly take away from his contributions to hip-hop

robotrock

Banned
KdGqQY.gif

Didn't know XXXTENTACION before but this thread got me into listening to his latest album out of couriosity...and it's fucking good. I feel a little conflicted. "Revenge" and "Save Me" are amazing.

edit: Dear god, every song on this album has been really good so far.

It's so easy to vote with your wallet. Especially when it comes to this shit, but people gonna people. Kendrick is no different. My mama still jams Step in the Name of Love.

Yea I'm not supporting XXX because I know of his history but his sound (grunge hip hop with some singing) is good. Sad that he has to be a terrible person but this is a decision I am making.

Kendrick is making his own decision but people should take him off a pedestal. His surface level wokeness isn't praise worthy nor did he ever asked for it to be praised. There are still opportunities for growth with him so it is good that he will get challenged and he has been open to accepting criticism despite not requesting it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Some of us are now getting tired of all these milkshake ducks. I can't take X wanting to help out the little man seriously when he has no problem having his fans turn on his ex gf by calling her a liar.

I mean its fun to talk about but we gotta stop putting so much stock in these celebrities outside of their products. But I guess it's up to the individual at the end of the day to vote with their wallets.

I just checked out the album. Never heard any tracks from XXX before besides that one that Drake bit. Basically it's not what I was expecting at all. I would barely even call it a rap album. There's more singing than rapping and it's more like emo rock. Not really my thing, but it does have some dark themes like Damn so I can see why it would appeal to Kendrick.

Gorillaz

I don't know how or why Kendrick is viewed as a conscious rapper tbh. He's dope, but I think his being viewed as woke is setting the bar really low.
TPAB got way too many people in there feelings out here thinking he the new civil rights leader and shit

it was actually embarrassing

GYODX

It's fucking pathetic how many people here are willing to give more leeway to a disgusting woman-beater and people who endorse him than they would give to a racist artist or even people like Gal Gadot for supporting the IDF, or Chris Pratt for being a #bluelivesmatter type.

It's fucking pathetic how many people here are willing to give more leeway to a disgusting woman-beater and people who endorse him than they would give to a racist artist or even people like Gal Gadot for supporting the IDF, or Chris Pratt for being a #bluelivesmatter type.
Women and minorites aren't people to them, not exactly breaking news.

Fuck! This picture is disturbing.

I gave the album a listen on Spotify. It's ok. Dude's not getting my support thought. I wouldn't even know how to pronounce his name lol

X-X-X-TEN-TAH-SEE-ON.

He's definitely not getting my support. Fuck him and fuck Kendrick for cosigning him.

iavi

Stay losing Kendrick, keep showing your real colors.

I don't know why any of this about Kendrick is surprising anyone. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's some horrible person for cosigning the art, but he was brought in by Dre of all people--Abuser supreme. He definitely has no qualms separating the art from the art from the artist, to say the least.

X can fuck off with that colorism bullshit as well, though.

Mutant

Hrm well.

*listens to 17*

Wait people are literally supporting a guy who beats pregnant women over this amateurish soundcloud-tier dredge? Do they think he's deep because he plays an acoustic guitar?

I don't know why any of this about Kendrick is surprising anyone. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's some horrible person for cosigning the art, but he was brought in by Dre of all people--Abuser supreme. He definitely has no qualms separating the art from the art from the artist, to say the least.

X can fuck off with that colorism bullshit as well, though.
Because people have been putting him on some profound pedestal for years, people finally realizing he's just after the money like everyone else.

allegedly

Afro

Musical taste is subjective, but I listened to some of this "17" album and and it's just really, really bad. Very tryhard and edgy, but with awful execution.

Dude said Cobain is one of his main influences. I've been playing guitar seriously for 10 years and this kid doesn't even have a fraction of Kurt's talent and Kurt wasn't even an exceptionally good guitar player (a great song writer, though).

Just makes me literally feel ill about the future of music seeing how much attention this kid is getting with such little talent/skill. However, if you enjoy XXX's stuff then I'm really happy for you because, again, music is subjective.

Owari

No lies. X is a piece of shit, but the album is very good

Is it though? I hear a lot of guitar and piano, something I don't care to hear when listening to a hiphop record.

Dude beat up a woman, wait, a pregnant woman no less?

pass.

kdot got paid off for this one fam

ethanny2

I don't think Bada$$ is mainstream, although I've been out of the loop since 2012 so...

I think he's getting there although most of his vids usually don't hit a mil views for a couple of months. His most recent album is about the racism in america and police shootings and it was kinda a radical departure from his old work because he never even claimed to be "woke" (that i know of) so if anything maybe hes getting further away from the mainstream

Because people have been putting him on some profound pedestal for years, people finally realizing he's just after the money like everyone else.

The fuck are you talking about? I don't know how stereotypically unoffensive you need Kendrick's music to be, but he doesn't sacrifice content while still rapping at a high level.

He has singles where the hook is "I love myself". If he was "just after the money", he'd be rapping about abusing drugs instead of putting "death to molly" in his videos when every rapper was mentioning that shit even if they didn't do it.

Fuck, seriously. The dude can be woke and still not perfectly Mr Rodgers or Obama or whatever the fuck.

Top Bottom