• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar endorses XXXTENTACION's new album.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Chris Brown still has a career in the music industry, which is some kind of travesty to me, so the fact that this guy (never heard of him nor his music) is getting promo doesn't surprise me. Disgusting human beings.

Seesaw15

I mean Kendrick works with Dr.Dre and has done a bunch of songs with Chris Brown. If he catches some heat and retracts his endorsement I wouldn't be surprised but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Uh oh, Kendrick endorsing the literal rap anti christ.

So this is what causes hip-hop to collapse upon itself like a dying star.

Glazed

halfway through the album and im surprised it sounds the way it does given his previous output

it's not bad

Camells

Knowing how this xxxsshole guy behaves I can't bring myself to listen to anything he touched even with kdot endorsement...
I guess I don't know how to separate the person from the artist.

I thought the original intent of the OP was to put into question his taste in hip hop, I didn't know of this other dude's violent past. But a tweet can't put into perspective why Kendrick listened to the album so much... But yeah it's concerning that he doesn't at lest address the beating of a pregnant woman.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Forgive me for my ignorance, but something has been bothering me:

For as liberal as GAF is, there's a lot of talk about people doing time in jail and paying their debts to society and whatnot.
X went to prison, not jail, prison, for a year for what he did.

To my understanding, he hasn't beat any other women since then.
It's fair to acknowledge that he did a terrible thing, but is there no way that he's turned himself around and/or paid his price for doing so?

I'm not in any way trying to wipe away what he did or make it seem suddenly okay but considering that he paid the price for his actions, continuing to openly trash him seems odd.

Chris Brown never did time for his incident so that's understandable, but X was locked up for quite a while.

Is there no difference here?

Jocund

Forgive me for my ignorance, but something has been bothering me:

For as liberal as GAF is, there's a lot of talk about people doing time in jail and paying their debts to society and whatnot.
X went to prison, not jail, prison, for a year for what he did.

To my understanding, he hasn't beat any other women since then.
It's fair to acknowledge that he did a terrible thing, but is there no way that he's turned himself around and/or paid his price for doing so?
From what I understand, X went to prison for something unrelated to his beating his girlfriend. He hasn't been tried for that yet.

And considering some of his lyrics on recent features -- take, for example, these lines from Kodak's "Roll in Peace":

Last time I wifed a bitch she told the
world I beat her, huh

It doesn't exactly appear that X is all that repentant, at least not publically.

FZZ

Banned
The conclusion I have come to as of late is

Kendrick Lamar is similar to Kyrie Irving

well spoken, pseudo-intellectual who gets by his great lyricism (in Kyrie's case his great interviews) but in reality lacks the depth or emotion of say a Danny Brown (whom I don't even consider to really be an intellectual)

dude can string together amazing songs though, but Kendrick def starting to remind me more of a pseudo-intellectual

Glazed

well spoken, pseudo-intellectual who gets by his great lyricism (in Kyrie's case his great interviews) but in reality lacks the depth or emotion of say a Danny Brown (whom I don't even consider to really be an intellectual)

dude can string together amazing songs though, but Kendrick def starting to remind me more of a pseudo-intellectual
like nas

Wow this hits the nail on the head for me. Really explains why kendricks fans are the way they are too .

Moonkid

Lotsa of rappers tell stories about shitnthey didn't actually do... this sort of sounds like one of them
I could see that, doesn't change my mind over him though.
I thought it was proven that his ex was lying and was just jumped by some girls? From my understanding is why he was released
His jail-time was related to other charges as far as I can tell. Media coverage on him is pretty terrible though, I can't find any proper sources.

edit: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/offenderSearch/detail.aspx?Page=Detail&DCNumber=I53614&TypeSearch=AO

There we go.

Dram

Even if he didn't beat up his ex-girlfriend, it still looks like he's a pretty terrible person.
KLktJVE.png

Ross61

Has he ever positioned himself as an intellectual? Kind of unfair to give him that title and him not actually being one.

Kelsdesu

Hm... In this era of troll culture; I cannot be certain of the sincerity of that twit, twat err twittle. Whatever you crazy kids call it.

Sounds like an all round garbage human being but some people can separate the work from it's creators actions, I guess. The OP could do with this information, to be honest.

I really dislike the "separate art" argument when people are clearly in the wrong. By separating the two you continue to allow the person acceptance for their behavior.

Zakalwe

Banned
I really like the XXX tracks I've heard, some of them are actually great.

Kendrick is right about the music at least.

Newline

I can deny it, you can attribute that to a different taste. That whole album was depressing but that was the theme I guess, pretty boring too. Still, not for me.
Definitely has to come down to taste then. Ignoring what he's done in the past, the themes presented in this album are properly relatable to me.

Imm0rt4l

I don't know how or why Kendrick is viewed as a conscious rapper tbh. He's dope, but I think his being viewed as woke is setting the bar really low.

Top Bottom