• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar endorses XXXTENTACION's new album.

The fuck are you talking about? I don't know how stereotypically unoffensive you need Kendrick's music to be, but he doesn't sacrifice content while still rapping at a high level.

He has singles where the hook is "I love myself". If he was "just after the money", he'd be rapping about abusing drugs instead of putting "death to molly" in his videos when every rapper was mentioning that shit even if they didn't do it.

Fuck, seriously. The dude can be woke and still not perfectly Mr Rodgers or Obama or whatever the fuck.
I'm sorry you reduce rap down to "I love Molly" but that doesn't mean he doesn't make certain decisions due to how they affect him financially. What a terrible opinion.

I don't understand how an endorsement of a "problematic" artist, reflects anything on the quality of Kendrick's work.
Arguing that his work isn't "conscious" or trying to revoke whataver "woke" status you see him having because of that doesn't change anything.

To be clear, I don't look at Kendrick as an authority for anything, his religious views/comments are already so far out there and his interviews are so vapid that it would be ridiculous to take any political/social commentary outside of the realm of his bars seriously,but he's skilled as an artist regardless.

Also Xxtentacion (who I haven't listened to outside of this album after last night and one song prior to then) very likely didn't beat that girl as described, she lied about being pregnant, used makeup to take a blackeye/being blind, and scammed people over that on Gofundme, so cross that one off of your list of horrible things he's done.

He probably did bear her though, just not as described, so he's still terribad.

pablito

I have a hard time seperating the art and the artist, so in that way it's disappointing. But I don't really care what Kendrick listens to. His favorite artist could be Soulja Boy for all I care.

I have a hard time seperating the art and the artist, so in that way it's disappointing. But I don't really care what Kendrick listens to. His favorite artist could be Soulja Boy for all I care.

Damn, what's wrong with Soulja Boy? I haven't kept up with celebrity gossip at all.

Is Kendrick socially aware? I always thought he was like Kanye or drake where the wisdom they pretend to have is paper thin and they're really just about singing love sings and how hard they worked to get a Ferrari.

Not that his music is bad, it's quite good, I just wouldn't classify him as a thought leader of social progress in hip hop.

pablito

Damn, what's wrong with Soulja Boy? I haven't kept up with celebrity gossip at all.

Nothing. I'm just trying to say I don't care what music artists I like listen to. Kendrick could enjoy Soulja Boy and that wouldn't make me like Soulja Boy any more, or Kendrick any less.

All these guys like this X dude, Lil Uzi, Yachty, Thug and so on are all the same to me and they don't do anything for me when it comes to the music. Frankly I find it all beyond terrible and I really don't understand music nowadays or well... what we call music.

I heard plenty of tracks from all them and...
Yeah. That includes this X dude and.... well let's say I'm very surprised Kendrick seems so fond of it. But hey more power to him. It really doesn't mean much to me.

Permanently A

Is Kendrick socially aware? I always thought he was like Kanye or drake where the wisdom they pretend to have is paper thin and they're really just about singing love sings and how hard they worked to get a Ferrari.

Not that his music is bad, it's quite good, I just wouldn't classify him as a thought leader of social progress in hip hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwVCi60Ifc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PtzE95ABt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6T0ahYeaN8

show me where the ferrari and bitches are

He's socially aware sometimes yeah but the dude ain't a leader lol. Everything I've ever seen of him or heard on his records boils down to just acknowledging a problem and spouting things about God. There's also that thing where he implied black people need to respect themselves more in the wake of Ferguson. Maybe a bigger fan than me can correct me if I'm off base here with examples in his music or whatnot.

I thought he doesn't make decisions based on money? You're flip flopping.

I never said he didn't make decisions based on money. That's just living. Everyone knows he takes care of his family; brought his folks a relatively modest home, his sister a used car. He preaches taking care of your family, of course I love K.dot's decisions based on money.

I said he isn't "just after the money", quoting you and stated that he doesn't sacrifice content while rapping at a high level; giving an example in that he doesn't promote hard drugs that he doesn't even do like other rappers

Can you even just clearly state what objections you have toward Kendrick Lamar's music/career? Cause the dude is pretty inoffensive, imo

Stay losing Kendrick, keep showing your real colors.
Stay losing? Some y'all weird as fuck.

I dont support XXXTentation as an artist or a person because the dude is a piece of shit. However, some folks are able to separate the art from the artist. I do it too.

Folks like Lovecraft were questionable at best, reprehensible at worst. I'm able to separate him from his work because I enjoy it. I don't see why I'd criticize Kendrick for doing the same for stuff he enjoys.

Kendrick is strange to me. On one hand he drops one of the most thorough albums dealing with race and life in Black America in contemporary music, and then on the other hand he says some weird black Israelite stuff and endorses this guy. He's a musical genius to me, but seems to have some glaring blind spots.

Kendrick is strange to me. On one hand he drops one of the most thorough albums dealing with race and life in Black America in contemporary music, and then on the other hand he says some weird black Israelite stuff and endorses this guy. He's a musical genius to me, but seems to have some glaring blind spots.

Isn't he just appreciative of the music? I mean that should be OK. If he would come out and say he supports him as a person, yeah that wouldn't be really a good look.

Juicy Bob

I would be more than willing to look beyond my initial reaction to his music and image to actually give X a fair go if this album really is a raw and honest exploration of his emotions and inner demons.

But he's an actively bad dude who's done appalling things that are just not excusable no matter how old he is.

So sorry K-Dot - I can't put that aside and be opened minded to this guy.

Top Bottom