• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar's verse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not even sure how it's even possible to believe that Wayne outdid Em. Sure it was a good verse by Wayne standards, but are you kidding me? Em went all in and made Wayne irrelevant.

UH OH HERE IT COMES GUYS

1005801_10200298883181315_967045738_n.jpg

/deceased
J5 On Em...J5 On Em...J5 On Em...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What's the last rap verse that had old head, new cats, TMZ and Phil Jackson speaking on it? We're living in magical times, fellas.

Well, assuming all these cats don't just fall back asleep after being slapped with an open palm

What's the last rap verse that had old head, new cats, TMZ and Phil Jackson speaking on it? We're living in magical times, fellas.

Well, assuming all these cats don't just fall back asleep after being slapped with an open palm

Dude fucking NBA and sports journalist are talking about it. Shit, Variety's reality TV's person was talking about the track on twitter.

I don't think anyone can directly respond to KL without looking desperate. The only way to come back at him is to prove him wrong with better music.
This is the only way to respond. If you are going into the booth just to spit a verse against this instead of creating an album then that rapper needs to get his shit together

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm more disappointed this means nothing for the south(east). Moving back to Atlanta it's still the same. Club/trap music and jingles instead of real bars.

Hey atleast they lit a fire under all the New York boys stealing our style and catch phrases.

DominoKid

Papi should've called out the other ESPN shows.

I'm more disappointed this means nothing for the south(east). Moving back to Atlanta it's still the same. Club/trap music and jingles instead of real bars.

Hey atleast they lit a fire under all the New York boys stealing our style and catch phrases.

Kendrick knows better than to claim King of the South. that's a ticket he cant punch.

Is this Pimp C's son trying to call Atlanta east coast again tho

Heel

lol love watching all these fringe and has-been weed carrying emcees try to get in on this.

Freekey Zekey, get 'em breh.

Papi should've called out the other ESPN shows.

Kendrick knows better than to claim King of the South. that's a ticket he cant punch.

Had Kenny claimed King of the South, we would have had two dozen responses out of Atlanta, Htown, and Miami by now.

New York just has Ortiz's verse and Joe Buddens having a period on Twitter.

Con_Smith

Banned
Is this Pimp C's son trying to call Atlanta east coast again tho

Nah I just like to differentiate the south because we may sound the same but cats in the A got a way different style than those in Texas. Also Pastor Troy should climb out of his hole and start teaching these Molly poppin dope boys how to spit bars not catch phrases and adlibs.

Con_Smith

Banned
Had Kenny claimed King of the South, we would have had two dozen responses out of Atlanta, Htown, and Miami by now.

New York just has Ortiz's verse and Joe Buddens having a period on Twitter.

Atlanta and H-town for sure I still remember the shot storm when T.I. was making king of the south claims. Pump C called him and Jeezy out till the day he died. Would have loved to see North Carolina get in. Maybe MEDIAN if he hasn't quit rap again.

That would probably get an amazing song from Killer Mike though.

Killer Mike already knows he don't want it.

Dramos

Read between the line folks, K.Dot didn't directly call out the rappers he mentioned. I have a feeling he wants to call the rappers he didn't.

Although it wasn't Kendrick's best verse, I have to admit it was the most emotional. Obviously this verse is important to modern Hip-Hop. Kendrink is trying to start a fire and woke up the industry, trying to bring back the core of hip-hop. I would like to see who takes this verse seriously and step up.

Joey Bada$$, Mac Miller, Tyga seem to take it seriously just to name a few.

jaypah

Read between the line folks, K.Dot didn't directly call out the rappers he mentioned. I have a feeling he wants to call the rappers he didn't.

Although it wasn't Kendrick's best verse, I have to admit it was the most emotional. Obviously this verse is important to modern Hip-Hop. Kendrink is trying to start a fire and woke up the industry, trying to bring back the core of hip-hop. I would like to see who takes this verse seriously and step up.

Joey Bada$$, Mac Miller, Tyga seem to take it seriously just to name a few.

I hate you for making me read that in Huey's voice.

FStop7

Banned

Atlanta's held hostage by 2 Chainz and Jeezy.

I'm late as fuck to this, and I can't find a decent link at all to listen to this. The Inflexwetrust link ain't workin' for me (won't let me hit play), and every youtube link I go to just ends up being some fake ass dude trying to get his 15minutes of play in.

Quick Edit-- Nvm, soon as I hit submit the next link I hit I found a proper cdq.

DrBo42

So the guy makes the equivalent of a Pop-GAF post about calling people out and taking their core fans and this is some huge event in hip-hop? Is it because Americans have an obsession with celebrities and icons and any perceived slight is some sort of news event? I could hit the character limit with Ford's "Who gives a shit?" GIF and not cover my confusion over this. Is hip-hop this sad?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So the guy makes the equivalent of a Pop-GAF post about calling people out and taking their core fans and this is some huge event in hip-hop? Is it because Americans have an obsession with celebrities and icons and any perceived slight is some sort of news event? I could hit the character limit with Ford's "Who gives a shit?" GIF and not cover my confusion over this. Is hip-hop this sad?

So basically what you are saying is that you loved the song?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'm trying to figure this out too. I guess I just don't get hip hop culture. A rapper called himself king of something and all of a sudden it's a major event. Don't all rappers do that incessantly?

I'm not trying to start some trolling BS, I'd actually like an explanation if possible. I want to understand.

DrBo42

So basically what you are saying is that you loved the song?

The production sucks and he's the only decent part of it I heard. With that said I still don't understand what the big deal is. There's no "ether" in a rich dude calling out other rich dudes.

overcast

Jesus Christ. Shut the fuck up. He called people out. He had no reason to do so. He's one of the biggest names in rap/music right now, across all bases essentially. He named names. He dropped a good ass verse. People talk about these things.

We've had so many people come in and call rap "sorry". Rap is better than it has been in a long time.

Linkhero1

glad someone's trying to stir shit up even if it wasn't much.

Jesus Christ. Shut the fuck up. He called people out. He had no reason to do so. He's one of the biggest names in rap/music right now, across all bases essentially. He named names. He dropped a good ass verse. People talk about these things.

We've had so many people come in and call rap "sorry". Rap is better than it has been in a long time.

they just jelly.

jaypah

I'm trying to figure this out too. I guess I just don't get hip hop culture. A rapper called himself king of something and all of a sudden it's a major event. Don't all rappers do that incessantly?

I'm not trying to start some trolling BS, I'd actually like an explanation if possible. I want to understand.

He's from Cali and called himself "The King of New York". NY rappers go at each other over that shit so having a guy with one "official" album under his belt say it who is from the opposite side of the country (while spazzin the rest of the verse as well) is a big deal. Besides that he basically shitted on all of the other popular rappers that he's been competing with since he came out. It's entertaining. He don't smoke crack motherfucka he sell it. Get it?

He is from Cali and he called himself the King of New York.

Beaten.

DrBo42

Thanks for being respectful about it.

He's from Cali and called himself "The King of New York". NY rappers go at each other over that shit so having a guy with one "official" album under his belt say it who is from the opposite side of the country (while spazzin the rest of the verse as well) is a big deal. Besides that he basically shitted on all of the other popular rappers that he's been competing with since he came out. It's entertaining. He don't smoke crack motherfucka he sell it. Get it?

I thought the King of New York thing was a Biggie reference.

I think this verse is resonating because it's basically reality-show shit. Which we as an audience are WAY more used to now than basic battle shit.

Kendrick didn't even really call people out. He didn't really name names, or shit on people for their skills, or lack thereof. He even makes sure to qualify his verse with a basic "no disrespect" type gesture.

What he basically said was "I'm not here to make friends. I want all of your audience."

It's really no different than someone on a reality show going into the confessional and saying "I want everyone off this show, and I want the money they'd win for my own. That's it."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I didn't know he was from Cali. I guess that makes more sense.

overcast

Thanks for being respectful about it.
I'm sorry, you called rap sorry and came at King Kendrick with a comparison to pop-GAF. Shit can't be taken lightly.

Also, it's pretty obvious why this has the hype it does if you understand anything about the rap game currently. Everybody is friends. Him saying this is a competition is a big deal. I'm not saying it's the best verse ever, but it's hot.

I think this verse is resonating because it's basically reality-show shit. Which we as an audience are WAY more used to now than basic battle shit.

Kendrick didn't even really call people out. He didn't really name names, or shit on people for their skills, or lack thereof. He even makes sure to qualify his verse with a basic "no disrespect" type gesture.

What he basically said was "I'm not here to make friends. I want all of your audience."

It's really no different than someone on a reality show going into the confessional and saying "I want everyone off this show, and I want the money they'd win for my own. That's it."

So you follow AJ Marechal too:

Gou0r57.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom