• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar's verse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

Thanks for being respectful about it.

I thought the King of New York thing was a Biggie reference.

It could have been, but it's rap and K.Dot isn't stupid so at best I thought it had a double meaning. He's basically saying he runs the whole thing. But regardless, K.O.N.Y. talk is always going to be tough talk, more so when the artist is from Cali.

So the guy makes the equivalent of a Pop-GAF post about calling people out and taking their core fans and this is some huge event in hip-hop? Is it because Americans have an obsession with celebrities and icons and any perceived slight is some sort of news event? I could hit the character limit with Ford's "Who gives a shit?" GIF and not cover my confusion over this. Is hip-hop this sad?

The king of New York thing is the part that a lot of people are noting. But even bigger is the fact that he challenged his contemporaries, calling them out and saying he's point blank better.

There's a feeling among many rap fans that the new guys are less competitive than the old rappers. A lot of these guys are just content with making their money and carving out a little space for themselves in the rap game. A lot of these guys (not all) are just happy being one of the guys, but not necessarily top dog (no pun intended). A verse like this will bring back some of the heated lyrical competition (friendly, not like Death Row vs. East Coast) and as a result the quality of lyrical hip hop will rise.

That's why people are excited.

jaypah

The king of New York thing is the part that a lot of people are noting. But even bigger is the fact that he challenged his contemporaries, calling them out and saying he's point blank better.

There's a feeling among many rap fans that the new guys are less competitive than the old rappers. A lot of these guys are just content with making their money and carving out a little space for themselves in the rap game. A lot of these guys (not all) are just happy being one of the guys, but not necessarily top dog (no pun intended). A verse like this will bring back some of the heated lyrical competition (friendly, not like Death Row vs. East Coast) and as a result the quality of lyrical hip hop will rise.

Well said. I know I'm excited!

So you follow AJ Marechal too:

Gou0r57.jpg

Nah, but hopefully she's a genius so that way I can say "great minds think alike."

(not familiar with this lady. I probably should be?)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This makes a lot more sense to me. Good post.

DrBo42

I'm sorry, you called rap sorry and came at King Kendrick with a comparison to pop-GAF. Shit can't be taken lightly.

Also, it's pretty obvious why this has the hype it does if you understand anything about the rap game currently. Everybody is friends. Him saying this is a competition is a big deal. I'm not saying it's the best verse ever, but it's hot.

Come on man, you know it's true. If Koodo could rap you could do a find and replace core fans with stans and names with various pop artists and it would be the same. It's a good verse and I'm not debating the thread-worthiness of it, obviously a lot of people want to talk about it. But there's no substance to his call out, it's essentially a light ribbing. When that's a big deal, rap is pretty sorry compared to the past.

Good post. I guess I can understand why people could be excited for where this might go.

Jesus Christ. Shut the fuck up. He called people out. He had no reason to do so. He's one of the biggest names in rap/music right now, across all bases essentially. He named names. He dropped a good ass verse. People talk about these things.

We've had so many people come in and call rap "sorry". Rap is better than it has been in a long time.

The truth.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Come on man, you know it's true. If Koodo could rap you could do a find and replace core fans with stans and names with various pop artists and it would be the same. It's a good verse and I'm not debating the thread-worthiness of it, obviously a lot of people want to talk about it. But there's no substance to his call out, it's essentially a light ribbing. When that's a big deal, rap is pretty sorry compared to the past.

Good post. I guess I can understand why people could be excited for where this might go.

I question your knowledge of rap's history and competitive nature if you think this is "sorry compared to the past." There were always cases of rappers beefing who hated each other, but there is a much, much storied history of cats trading verses back and forth. This is wholly in keeping in line with the mythical past that some seem have elevated to ludicrous levels. It doesn't help that we've seen how destructive real beef can be (Pac/Big) and how lame and manufactured 90 percent of it is (50 v world whenever a G-Unit project was upcoming).

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
hip hop fans are hungry for some beef. Kendrick gave us tofu, but we've convinced ourselves it's real meat.

Great analogy here. Being a member of old GAF this is exactly what it feels like. Kendrick is hot but the whole rap game has changed now. 15 years ago this would have been very different, and was. After reading a bit of this thread without listening to the track I expected some "Hit em' up" type ether. The verse was hot by today's standards but I'm a bit disappointed.

I came in here to hate on wacky lupe's reactions to the verse but he dropped this truth bomb on y'all so jay stans can take this
That's stupid. No run of production with roc-a-fella who knows where he ends up. Without Kanye, Jay is rocking Just Blaze classics and what? Not trying to emulate kanye now? So.

jaypah

It's a big deal because Kendrick said it. He's a major artist right now but the reason he's a major artist is because he doesn't make an album full of "I kill people fuck hoes and sell dope". His stuff has nice concepts and GKMC was crack. So for a rapper who can bring substance to the game to call out contemporaries...It's a cool thing and worth chatting about if you love hip-hop. Plus he spazzed out on that verse so there's that too.

overcast

Like WW said, hip-hop in the 90's was immaculate. The comparisons to it are a joke now. There is more variety than ever in hip-hop. The genre is growing and people still have to compare it to decades ago.

Who cares if this is no hit em up, why does that matter? It's fun, it's ballsy, and it's dope. We don't need beef. Competition sounds good.

Great analogy here. Being a member of old GAF this is exactly what it feels like. Kendrick is hot but the whole rap game has changed now. 15 years ago this would have been very different, and was. After reading a bit of this thread without listening to the track I expected some "Hit em' up" type ether. The verse was hot by today's standards but I'm a bit disappointed.

Hit Em Up level disses are for when you have a serious beef with a particular person, not when you just telling everyone to step their game up.

Earlier in the thread I referenced "Stomp", which was the last relevant beef I can remember. If you haven't heard it before give it a listen. Here's the video's description

Young Buck had a song entitled "Stomp" which features fellow southern rappers T.I. and Ludacris. T.I. recorded a verse, which contained a line that Young Buck considered to be a subliminal diss towards Ludacris "Me gettin' beat down?/That's ludicrous/". Young Buck spoke to Ludacris about the verse, to maintain his neutrality in the beef. Ludacris then recorded the verse that can be found on the album. T.I's record company wanted Ludacris to change his verse before they sanctioned it but Ludacris refused and T.I. was therefore replaced by Game on the album version.
In this version, I mixed the two versions, the one with T.I. and and the other one with The Game.

of course nothing compares to Tupac's Hit em Up like you mentioned.

edit: oh, and fast forward to 3:10 if you want to start at T.I's verse. Ludacris' response follows with that ether

jaypah

Hit Em Up level disses are for when you have a serious beef with a particular person, not when you just telling everyone to step their game up.

Exactly. Plus, it may not have been 15 years ago more like 10 or 11, but Nas went on the radio and did this exact same thing with Dip-Set and others. Only difference is this kid didn't do it in an interview, he did it in the middle of a nice verse. That's cool shit. Everything in the past wasn't Hit em Up and No Vaseline.

If you show a starving man tofu sure as hell he'll eat it like it's the finest steak. I'm hype because shit like this hasn't happened for a while. Hopsin having temper tantrums doesn't count.

Its not a diss record, its a challenge to all of his contemporaries. In an era where rappers hide behind social media and drop subliminals left and right this is a breath of fresh air.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Earlier in the thread I referenced "Stomp", which was the last relevant beef I can remember. If you haven't heard it before give it a listen. Here's the video's description

of course nothing compares to Tupac's Hit em Up like you mentioned.

edit: oh, and fast forward to 3:10 if you want to start at T.I's verse. Ludacris' response follows with that ether

Yeah, I don't think anything will compare to Hit em' Up especially in this rap era. I understand Kendrick wasn't going after an individual but rather the whole game and good on him for doing so. He's the hottest out there right now. All I'm saying is he coulda went harder. It was like "Hey no offense guys, I really like you all, BUT..."

Hopefully it'll spark some real creativity and conceptual responses. If anyone can help elevate hip hop out of the money/hoes/cars shit it's gonna be him with a call out like this. Maybe he does go harder if everyone stays content with typing shit out on twitter instead of getting in the booth.

CRS

Yeah because popular hip-hop just started being about money, clothes, and hoes. And those topics being mentioned doesn't mean the song will be bad either.

At one point, brief but definitely real, there wasn't a rapper on the planet who had a better delivery than Luda.

There were better lyrically, most definitely. Technically, too. But Ludacris would get over solely on how he spit his verses. Always entertaining.

Luda is heavily slept on lyrically. Dude has absolute amazing wordplay when he wants to and he makes it seem effortless.

Young Buck's was supposed to be that dude... :(

Only G-Unit member to have his first two albums go platinum besides 50. I haven't even listen to the second album. But his first album was amazing af.

At one point, brief but definitely real, there wasn't a rapper on the planet who had a better delivery than Luda.

There were better lyrically, most definitely. Technically, too. But Ludacris would get over solely on how he spit his verses. Always entertaining.

(Sigh) Listens to Saturday.

Dereck

Nope, don't do that. Don't remind me of old Ludacris, it always leads to me remembering how bad he turns out in the end.

zychi

Banned

Luda was the man, then he became a daddy, and was content making average rhymes. Everytime he releases a new song/mixtape I have high hopes, but its been over for awhile with him :/

THRILLH0

Banned
Would have been better if he didn't pussy out on Jay-Z, Andre, Nas and Em.

"Yo I'm better than all you bitches! uh, uh except for you guys, you are cool mkay"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom