• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketsui Deathtiny ~ Bonds Hells ~ [legendary shmup] coming to PS4 Nov.29th in Japan

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ketsui Deathtiny ~ Bonds Hells ~ (or just "Ketsui" from here on out) is a port of CAVE's 2003 shmup masterpiece. It was previous only available via the Japan-only PS3 and 360 ports (which regularly go for $50+ used), or digitally on some storefronts. This version appears to also include the IKD "arrange mode" that was only playable for one day in 2007 and again in 2018 during the Cave Matsuri event. The BGM "Virt Arrange" is an alternative soundtrack. This version also includes a 48-page booklet.

ketsui-deathtiny-kizuna-jigoku-tachi-561113.2.jpg

M2ShotTriggers will be handling this port. A shmup port by M2 is the Rolls-Royce treatment. They did phenomenal jobs with Battle Garegga, Sorcer Striker, and Dangun Feveron.

Ketsui screens below:

ketsui-7.png
ketsui-5.png
ketsui-12.png

Appears to be available for pre-order via Play-Asia but I would wait for official box art first.

Official M2 website and source of news.

This is a hard-as-nails bullet hell shmup, but I'd encourage anyone with a passing interest in the genre to give Ketsui a try.

As an aside, I love that name "Deathtiny". I image Mike Tyson as the title announcer.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

When Cave was doing Steam ports of their games I was waiting for this one (and DDP DOJ) to show up, but apparently that ship has sailed. I'll wait and see if this makes it to the west like Garegga, if not I'll import. And pray for a port of Daioujou in the meantime.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
When Cave was doing Steam ports of their games I was waiting for this one (and DDP DOJ) to show up, but apparently that ship has sailed. I'll wait and see if this makes it to the west like Garegga, if not I'll import. And pray for a port of Daioujou in the meantime.
Yeah, I'm still rocking my PS2 copy of Daioujou. That game needs to get a modern port. Most shmups need a port. The genre is sorely in need of preservation.

dirthead

Banned
One of the most overrated developers of all time IMO. Their games are all so poorly programmed. Because the developers didn't actually code their games with proper timing code, they all run at different speeds on different hardware, so virtually every version of the games are different and unbalanced. Even Cave itself couldn't get ports of their own games to run at the same speed/have the same slowdowns. Pretty embarrassing really.

It's like, PC developers got the "don't tie game logic to refresh rate" right in 1996, and these clowns were fucking it up in 2012.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One of the most overrated developers of all time IMO. Their games are all so poorly programmed. Because the developers didn't actually code their games with proper timing code, they all run at different speeds on different hardware, so virtually every version of the games are different and unbalanced. Even Cave itself couldn't get ports of their own games to run at the same speed/have the same slowdowns. Pretty embarrassing really.

It's like, PC developers got the "don't tie game logic to refresh rate" right in 1996, and these clowns were fucking it up in 2012.
They were also doing it on decades-old hardware, even in the 2000s. Not saying that excuses the technical problems, but it does help explain.

Thankfully, M2 has a track-record of properly cleaning up these old games. They include various frame control and timing options so that players can tweak those issues you mentioned on their own.

Wonko_C

I'm not exactly a hardcore STG player who strives for loop 2 no death runs, so I don't really have issues with different versions of their games not being arcade accurate. I just play them for their style, music, and they're just plain fun even when playing for survival 1CC runs. As long as I have a legal version to play that it's not emulated, I'm happy. (The music is pretty poor in MAME, I don't know if that was the same in the arcade originals).

I can see how those inconsistencies are a detriment for score chase play, though.

Last edited:

dan76

Cave were primarily arcade devs, and they pushed old hardware to the limit making fantastic arcade games. It was mainly a cost thing, but all the slowdown was intentionally there through overloading the hardware at specific points.

Porting became a secondary thing when the arcade business really started going belly up in Japan. Replicating the exact slowdown through programming is incredibly difficult. I think their arcade games are some of the best ever made, but their ports are a bit hit and miss with regards to accuracy. Good job M2 are the ones doing this because Futari was great.

Can't wait. Already got the 360 version but it always felt a bit off.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Up: box art has been revealed. Added to the OT.

Also added a bit about the inclusion of the IKD 2007 special mode. Has anyone had a chance of trying this? Apparently it's quite a legend.

dan76

Preorder is up on Amazon japan. Pretty easy to set up an account and they ship internationally. Works out at roughly £60 for the game and book.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07G8PXQ9K/

More modes than I originally thought: Arcade, Super Easy, Deathtiny, Custom and IKD 2007 Special.

I got to be honest, its one of those games I've never 1cc'd, but I did manage the arrange mode on the 360. That was a pretty good easy mode.

Akuza89

I do love a good SHMUP, i may need to look into this...

I wonder if it'll drop on the Japanese e-shop on the switch..

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Preorder is up on Amazon japan. Pretty easy to set up an account and they ship internationally. Works out at roughly £60 for the game and book.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07G8PXQ9K/

More modes than I originally thought: Arcade, Super Easy, Deathtiny, Custom and IKD 2007 Special.

I got to be honest, its one of those games I've never 1cc'd, but I did manage the arrange mode on the 360. That was a pretty good easy mode.
It's one of CAVE's harder games, so I wouldn't feel bad about failing to 1cc it. ;)

Top Bottom