• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketsui Deathtiny, Guilty Gear Xrd, and the importance of a solid training mode

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
2018 was packed with exceptional titles, but Ketsui Deathtiny is probably the most important release that scarcely a dozen people gave a shit about.

It's important because as far as retail releases are concerned, Ketsui Deathtiny is now the best entry-point into the shmup genre due to the tools it offers the uninitiated. Not only did M2 ShotTriggers include a host of 'gadgets' that display the inner workings of game, they also included a training tool called'Bond Develop Mode'.

Bond Develop is what makes Deathtiny so important.

Let me sidetrack into Guilty Gear to demonstrate my point:

When you examine forum posts like these on NeoGAF, or if you read various reviews from gaming outlets or Amazon, or if you pay attention to the FGC itself, the praise for Guilty Gear Xrd’s training mode was hard to miss. One might argue that the excellent training tools helped make Xrd the best-selling Guilty Gear title in the franchise and one of the best-selling poverty anime fighters of all time.

maxresdefault.jpg

Friendliness toward newcomers is a problem in many skill-based, competitive genres. It is an open topic in the fighting game community -- full of passionate opinions on both ends -- about how a company should balance the desires of experienced players against the needs of potential new customers. Fighting games are hard to "get into", and so when a developer extends a hand to bring in newcomers, it's healthy for the genre as a whole. When developers aren't reaching out to the community and to newcomers, the genre can stagnate.

The shmup community faces the same problem: how can you entice new players to try shmups when the existing fanbase will loudly decry any perceived "casualization" of their genre?

Guilty Gear Xrd's training mode succeeded because it didn't dumb down any of the details. Rather, it gave players a suite of tools to learn the mechanics of the game. Whether you were a seasoned fighting game player or a newcomer, Xrd offered you a path to improve yourself.

Shmups are terrible at enticing new players. Often, a shmup will lack any kind of training mode. The handful of shmups that do include a training mode will usually only offer a sparse selection of customization options. A stage select is usually the best that can be hoped for.

Ketsui Deathtiny goes far above the low standards of its peers.

During a playthrough of Arcade mode, you will die. When you die, Ketsui Deathtiny quietly takes a "snapshot", tucking it away in the Bond Develop menu. Each snapshot begins 5 seconds before you died, and you must survive for 10 seconds. The game rewinds a few times, forcing you to complete the section a few times in a row. Players can have up to 25 Bond Develop Mode "snapshots" in their queue.

Bonus points are awarded to players who complete these Bond Develop challenges. The point value of each challenge depends on when you died in the overall run. For obvious reasons, practicing snippets from Stage 1 will not grant as many bonus points as snippets from Stage 4.

1543461827-4263090293.jpg

Why does this mundane little detail matter? Because it closely mirrors how top shmup players practice these games. When training for a 1-credit-clear (and especially when practicing a high-scoring route), players will make heavy use of save-states and training modes to minimize wasted time.

When you start a run, making an early mistake and then playing out the whole credit is very wasteful in most cases. Instead, you should practice the specific boss, level, or snippet that is giving you a hard time. As explained above, the majority of shmups do not offer these tools, so players either go without the option or they must resort to emulators that offer the tools they need.

One of the most seminal works in the shmup community -- The Full Extent of the Jam -- advocates for exactly this sort of practice technique. Grinding on a section for hours, or days, or weeks is sometimes necessary (depending on how hardcore you are) to achieve your goals in a shmup. It is not unusual for top shmup players to play their game of choice for years, so having access to good tools becomes very important if you're hoping to fast-track your own skill development.

Bond Develop Mode is a game-ification of the old practice of using savestates to learn difficult sections. Players who would otherwise never stumble across this technique now have it included in the game (and it doesn't hurt that Ketsui is one of the best shmups out there).

If you're unsure about the 5-chip distance between your ship and an enemy, there's a gadget for that. If you aren't sure where your ship's hitbox is, a visual indicator can be enabled. For a genre that tends to hide its esoterica, it is wonderful to see these details on full display.

Sadly, I think most people will ignore Deathtiny because shmups aren't everyone's cup of tea. But if you have any interest in learning the shmup genre, I highly recommend it on the merits of the 'gadgets' and the Bond Develop Mode.

---

Aside from the game on display, do you have any other examples of games where the tutorial or training mode helped you learn the deeper mechanics of the game in question?

Last edited:
The arcade challenge mode is where I've been spending most of my time. For those who don't know, it breaks the stages into 4 sections you can practice separately and then altogether. On 10 difficulties, which lets you unlock later sections for practice even if you're not that good.

It's pretty amazing because the arcade difficulty can looks virtually impossible on first glance. I surprised myself how quickly i got better at it!

Should also mention the exceptional options they've got in there as well. Apart from the difficulty settings you can adjust hitbox size, weapon power, autobomb and more. It comes with a Super Easy mode but actually you can make something far easier with the options as well. My 4yr old girl likes to play anything I've got on and the other day she managed to finish it on the "ultra easy" setting i made!

I find it funny the way you talk as if training on emu was the old days though... The old days cost money! I'd like to meet someone who got good at games like this using their wallet, but I imagine they're all homeless now!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The arcade challenge mode is where I've been spending most of my time. For those who don't know, it breaks the stages into 4 sections you can practice separately and then altogether. On 10 difficulties, which lets you unlock later sections for practice even if you're not that good.

It's pretty amazing because the arcade difficulty can looks virtually impossible on first glance. I surprised myself how quickly i got better at it!

Should also mention the exceptional options they've got in there as well. Apart from the difficulty settings you can adjust hitbox size, weapon power, autobomb and more. It comes with a Super Easy mode but actually you can make something far easier with the options as well. My 4yr old girl likes to play anything I've got on and the other day she managed to finish it on the "ultra easy" setting i made!
I'm glad at least one other GAFer played the game. Thanks for offering your own perspective and for mentioning the 'arcade challenge mode' (which I haven't messed around with, myself).

Yet another useful tool for learning the game and perfecting your run.

I find it funny the way you talk as if training on emu was the old days though... The old days cost money! I'd like to meet someone who got good at games like this using their wallet, but I imagine they're all homeless now!
There are legends surrounding some of the really good shmup players from 15+ years ago, claiming they would drop thousands of yen in arcades since there was no other way to practice. The arcades in question were always a remote candy-shop on the top of the mountain with a pristine copy of Dodonpachi hidden in the corner. Oh, and a yokai was offering advice.

Last edited:

Shifty

Congrats DunDun, this post is officially the #1 duckduckgo search result for "Ketsui Deathtiny Bond Develop". How does it feel to be the definitive resource? :messenger_tongue:

That training mode idea sounds absolutely fascinating. I love the idea of being able to visualize various distances, sizes and other metrics that exist under the hood but are usually restricted to being learned and visualized entirely by feel.

Fighting games have had hitbox / hurtbox visualization for a while, but that's relatively simple to implement since they're sets of rectangles that can be plugged into a box fill routine. I applaud any developer that goes the extra mile and actually builds a user-facing suite of tools to show the player how the game is working on a mechanical level.

Thinking in a more general sense, it would be cool to see more games take that idea of revealing the inner workings, and bake it into the core presentation using particle effects and other cues that fit within the visual design while still presenting the information in a clear-cut manner. One for the design notebook, perhaps...

There are legends surrounding some of the really good shmup players from 15+ years ago, claiming they would drop thousands of yen in arcades since there was no other way to practice. The arcades in question were always a remote candy-shop on the top of the mountain with a pristine copy of Dodonpachi hidden in the corner. Oh, and a yokai was offering advice.
Efficacy of the claims aside, that's a great mental image.

Possessed umbrellas are big into skill-based challenges.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Congrats DunDun, this post is officially the #1 duckduckgo search result for "Ketsui Deathtiny Bond Develop". How does it feel to be the definitive resource? :messenger_tongue:
I feel that's quite pathetic and it shows how niche these games really are.

That training mode idea sounds absolutely fascinating. I love the idea of being able to visualize various distances, sizes and other metrics that exist under the hood but are usually restricted to being learned and visualized entirely by feel.

Fighting games have had hitbox / hurtbox visualization for a while, but that's relatively simple to implement since they're sets of rectangles that can be plugged into a box fill routine. I applaud any developer that goes the extra mile and actually builds a user-facing suite of tools to show the player how the game is working on a mechanical level.

Thinking in a more general sense, it would be cool to see more games take that idea of revealing the inner workings, and bake it into the core presentation using particle effects and other cues that fit within the visual design while still presenting the information in a clear-cut manner. One for the design notebook, perhaps...
M2 is at the forefront of what you describe. They add a lot of "gadgets" to their games. This works really well in vertical shmups since most people will be playing it yoko and that leaves a lot of empty space on the sides.

M2's Battle Garegga port has a lot of these "gadgets". This demystifies an otherwise extremely complicated game that has all sorts of hidden trackers for bullets shot, power-ups collected, and so forth.

Wonko_C

All the host of features makes it more yummy, but I'm already a fan so I would have gotten this regardless.

I hope they bring this over to finally be able to have a legal way to play Ketsui.

theclaw135

Banned

Efficacy of the claims aside, that's a great mental image.

Possessed umbrellas are big into skill-based challenges.

It's eye opening to have data supporting just how out of touch fanatics of these genres are.
The cliche of spending hundreds on arcade sticks to find one right for you, to have any hope of getting in the door of competitive play, is totally unacceptable.

More tools to visualize input timing and make it fairer for users of (admittedly usually poor quality) console controllers would go a long way.

Last edited:

dan76

Arcade Challenge was definitely an eye opener for me as I found myself no missing and no bombing bosses that I thought were way beyond my skill level. Practising the same mini section over and over improves skill level way faster than doing complete runs, but I don't think a lot of people enjoy playing this way.

I wish there was an English patch for the game then would be perfect.

Top Bottom