• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"People don't buy fighting games for single player", but trophy data disagrees

PSqueak

Banned
Big fighting game fan here, just on my PS4 i have the folllowing:

Injustice
Saint Seiya: Soldier Soul
UMVC3
Street Fighter 5
KOF 14

And i can assure you i buy this game for the multiplayer.

HOWEVER! Fighting games to me are party games, these games are for passing the controller with my friends.

Reality is, your friends aren't always with you, that's why people want story modes, because when you don't have who to play with you play single player. I specially enjoyed the Story mode in Injustice and am looking forward to the sequel.

Playing online is too much unless you're a hardcore competitive player.

Checked the MKX single player ones. 53% complete the full storymode(59% stop halfway through the multi hour story), 63% visit the crypt, 64% enter practice mode, 34% don't skip the tutorial, 86% do a fatality, 84% spilled an extreme amount of blood and 72% hit someone with the old lady.

I enjoy both modes. MP is why I'm there long term but I find great enjoyment going through all the SP content in games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Smash and MK(In fact I wouldn't have even bothered with MK during the PS2 era if not for the heavy SP content).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
deserves a mention everytime this is discussed

i5XsFSj.jpg

SP content CAN help you learn a game and AI is only truly worthless if the developers aren't trying.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Many people play games to have fun. I suspect many try out online, get bodied horribly and never go back. Going back to that juggle thread, watching your character bounce around the screen while you can't do anything isn't about the least fun thing you can do in a videogame.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

i5XsFSj.jpg

SP content CAN help you learn a game and AI is only truly worthless if the developers aren't trying.

The best thing Tekken ever did was totally rip off VF4E's Arcade mode. :lol

How easy are the platinums?

Numbers could be bolstered by cheevo hunters looking for easy plats.

Obviously they're highly skill-dependent in most cases, but from what I've seen the plats in most fighters are fairly challenging.

Except Tekken's, which are piss-easy. Hell, I've got plats in T6 and TTT2.

Pompadour

i5XsFSj.jpg

This is one of the few fighting games with legitimately great single player content that taught you how to be better at the game.

jdmonmou

Part of the reason I don't buy many fighting games is because I have zero interest in ever playing people online, and next to no interest in local multiplayer. I'm bad, I know I'm bad, and I don't care to put in the time required to actually git gud against other human beings. The only fighting games I've bought with an actual intention to play are the Persona 4 Arena games and Skullgirls, the latter because I heard its tutorial mode was quite comprehensive and well suited to people who don't play a lot of fighting games.

Developers like Capcom should probably focus on developing a fun tutorial mode to make learning the deeper techniques of a fighting game fun. I would appreciate that more than a story mode. There's no fun in beating the CPU. The true joy comes from beating others.

fernoca

I'm a big fan of the genre. I buy fighting games mostly to:
-Play on my own/against CPU
-To play against friends (locally and online)

At least some include more content, to have a reason to keep playing them.

Online just varies. I just play casually, barely block, all offense. Either I lose against others or when I do win, usually results in some hate mail. Is why I enjoy taking my bikini Brad online in VF5:FS. Not many people online usually, but when finally matched...and I win..the homophobic messages are glorious. XD

So, back to play on my own. :p

BadWolf

Developers like Capcom should probably focus on developing a fun tutorial mode to make learning the deeper techniques of a fighting game fun. I would appreciate that more than a story mode. There's no fun in beating the CPU. The true joy comes from beating others.

If you look outside of Capcom then you might find what you are looking for, check out the training mode in Guilty Gear Xrd Revalator. The game teaches new players in very interesting ways.

Skilletor

Only deluded people think otherwise.

Lots of fighters have it. I personally think it's wasted resources.

Lots of people think that there are people out there that want to get better at fighting games, but really all they want to do is mash buttons, have cool shit happen on screen, and play against a friend sometimes while mashing buttons and having cool shit happen on screen.

gelf

i5XsFSj.jpg

This is the reason I even considered playing VF5 online in the first place. By then I actually felt I knew enough about VF to give it a shot. And I did alright too.

I buy fighting games, including Super Smash Bros, exclusively for singleplayer content. I don't play multiplayer games very often, and when I do, it's never with friends. Lots of fond memories of Soulcalibur II on summer afternoons playing storymode with every single character.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What people buy things for and what people end up using said thing are not necessarily the same.

This is the reason why the decision to not have UHD Blu Ray in PS4 PRO is so stupid. Data shows most people don't and won't bother with UHD BluRay, but it's still a nice future proof thing to have in your shiny new console, that partly justifies buying it.

People are buying Switches to have rooftop parties, even though that's completely unreal and kind of stupid.

Alienous

The online modes are so unapproachable that yeah, they're sort of necessary.

I've heard good things about Guilty Gear, but most fighting games provide a really boring path to competency, and I'd probably get zero value out of fighting game purchases if not for their story modes.

Eidan

I find that the narrative the OP is discussing really took off when SFV released with less single player content than Street Fighter II. People were bending over backwards trying to convince everyone that less content was the future, and the future was bright. It was pathetic.

Focusing on online play at the expense of single-player content (and more broadly, focusing on the competitive scene vs. casual players) is the quickest way to marginalize a genre. Many people just want to have fun with friends, play a couple rounds against the AI to blow off steam, or simply not deal with all the baggage that online MP comes with.

Namco seems to be doing it right with Tekken 7 by focusing on both, but even there Survival Mode and Team Battle -- both longtime modes of the series -- are MIA so far.

Alpha 3 is, in my opinion, still the undisputed king of single player content in a fighting game. Just look at the main menu of the PSP version:

VHiP8Rv.png

And there's even more hiding behind some of those modes! A remastered console port of SFA3 PSP is pretty much my dream fighting game.

EDIT: That's not the PSP version, shit. Give me a minute. Might have to take a screenshot myself.
EDIT2: Shit, you can't take screenshots of PSP games on Vita. Oh well. Just imagine that screen but with even more stuff.

Yeah. Alpha 3 is incredible for single player content.

Hyun Sai

No Shit.

People who really experienced the arcades back in the days (and not those gloating about those "good ol hardcore days") when those games first appeared know that the big majority of players only played the arcade mode. It was just an evolution of the beat them all (Final fight, Golden axe etc) for them, and I'm sure it is still now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Focusing on online play at the expense of single-player content (and more broadly, focusing on the competitive scene vs. casual players) is the quickest way to marginalize a genre. Many people just want to have fun with friends, play a couple rounds against the AI to blow off steam, or simply not deal with all the baggage that online MP comes with.

Namco seems to be doing it right with Tekken 7 by focusing on both, but even there Survival Mode and Team Battle -- both longtime modes of the series -- are MIA so far.

That's a damn shame about T7, but as long as Arcade mode is still there and still as good as it was in TTT2, I'll be happy.

No Shit.

People who really experienced the arcades back in the days (and not those gloating about those "good ol hardcore days") when those games first appeared know that the big majority of players only played the arcade mode. It was just an evolution of the beat them all (Final fight, Golden axe etc) for them, and I'm sure it is still now.

Exactly this. When I see people say there's no value to playing single player in fighting games, I wonder if they think the same thing about fighting an end-of-stage boss in a 2D beat 'em up. It's literally the same thing (unless the boss has grunts backing him up, but still). Just you versus a computer controlled opponent.

On SFV I barely ever played a ranked match, and while the trophy for that game seems to be for any online mode, what if most people just stick to casual/lobbies? Dara isn't really conclusive

There are people who don't care about the online portion of fighting games though, my brother buys nearly every fighting game and barely plays any of them online.

RangerX

Banned
I play beat em ups mainly to play against other people but still put a seriouas amount of hours into the single player modes. I Wouldn't buy a game without them.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Street Fighter V bombed for a reason.

Online has never been the meat and potatoes of a fighting game. Like...ever.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
No Shit.

there's a good interview b/w james chen and LA Akira where one of them (james, I think) goes on about how when SF2 first came out people didn't even play it against eachother, just tried to get the highest scores

Pompadour

If you look outside of Capcom then you might find what you are looking for, check out the training mode in Guilty Gear Xrd Revalator. The game teaches new players in very interesting ways.

That mode is extremely good but I don't think it helps someone learn the game that isn't committed to getting better.

Fighting games need something like the Mario 1-1 moment where Mario's path is impeded by a goomba which can only be navigated by jumping. Once the player learns to jump they see tne blinking ? block and use their jump to get closer to it.

Fighting game tutorials now are just interactive YouTube tutorials, at best. GGXrd put a barebones sidescrolling thing in their tutorial to teach the absolute basics but that's about it.

Of course, I don't even know what I'm proposing would even look like because fighting games are so incredibly complex.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Big fighting game fan here, just on my PS4 i have the folllowing:

Injustice
Saint Seiya: Soldier Soul
UMVC3
Street Fighter 5
KOF 14

And i can assure you i buy this game for the multiplayer.

HOWEVER! Fighting games to me are party games, these games are for passing the controller with my friends.

Reality is, your friends aren't always with you, that's why people want story modes, because when you don't have who to play with you play single player. I specially enjoyed the Story mode in Injustice and am looking forward to the sequel.

Playing online is too much unless you're a hardcore competitive player.
Not at all. Matchmaking works, for the most part.

Fraeon

VF4EVO is a rare exception to the rule. Pretty much every other game has an arcade/story mode AI that either flat out cheats (by reading your inputs or having super powerful moves SNK style) or is a pushover.

That's why I'm personally not very invested in fighting game SP. Thankfully character action games do everything single player fighting game campaigns do but better and I enjoy those.

PSFan

I buy SF, MK and Smash games primarily for the single player stuff. Hardly ever play them online. Though I hope the bring the story mode back for the next Smash.

BadWolf

A great post from Professor from MMCafe on the matter:

Back in the 1990s golden years of fighting games, the general bulk of players in Japan at least for the NeoGeo scene were more interested in playing single player modes. The competitive players were around as well, but they were a minority. High-level players weren't considered celebreties, they were just oddballs.

The single player experience at the arcades were just as magical (if not more) than the competitive experience. Home consoles back then weren't that powerful so even for 2D games, you needed to hit the arcades to play them. People would crowd around to see the ending when someone was playing vs CPU and got to the boss, because back then the bosses were actually tough. People would get impressed by seeing them get beat, kind of like how you'd beat the last monster and save the princess in the slew of action games that made up the arcades up to that time.

Of course, back then it was a different time. We're talking about a time when there were maybe more arcades than convenience stores in Japan (or at least Tokyo) thanks to the fighting game boom. There were so many arcades to pick from. Some arcades would serve drinks, some had headphones on the cabs so you can listen in stereo while cutting down on the arcade's ambient noise... It was a totally different age than the current arcade scene where you're doomed to play in the handful of surviving smokey arcades that can barely rake in a profit from their loyally addicted players. The overall casual population was just so huge.

The thing with the current competitive/esports fighting game scene that really scares me is that when players mention about the yesteryears, they never talk about how there was more to the scene than just competition, and that's made the arcades and fighting games so big.

Perhaps it's because they've only known their small competitive side of fighting games, and with no one but hardcore players left in the scene any more, nobody is left to tell the other side of the tale. Perhaps I can change that when MMCafe hits the 20th anniv' mark.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not at all. Matchmaking works, for the most part.

I mean, yeah, it does. Until the online population dwindles to the point that it's just the hardcores left playing, which happens to some games much faster than you might expect (as I understand, this is pretty much KOF XIV now).

I think you also run into the problem that people in it for the local/single player are more likely to be in it for the trophies (seeing as how consistently awful online trophies are for games), and are therefore more likely to sync trophies.

MaDKaT

Single player for me. Prefer fighters with story modes. Only multi I play is local and have never have played online.

Falchion

I have no interest in playing any fighting game online outside of Super Smash Bros. When I play Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, or whatever, it's to go through the story with all the characters.

Shadoken

Ranked is Not really a Fair comparison OP. VS mode and Player Lobbies online are waaaaay more popular than Ranked. And would still be the "MP" part of the game. As a person who is pretty invested in FGs , even I do not try out Ranked for many games. But I still play with my friends,online and even finish story mode.

i5XsFSj.jpg

This game should be the standard for Fighting games. I wish Capcom would look at this game instead of MKs Cutscene based story mode.

But then again the only thing Capcom listens to is $$$ and MK made more $$$ than VF4.

Pompadour

Lots of fighters have it. I personally think it's wasted resources.

Lots of people think that there are people out there that want to get better at fighting games, but really all they want to do is mash buttons, have cool shit happen on screen, and play against a friend sometimes while mashing buttons and having cool shit happen on screen.

Honestly, this is true. Capcom could insert a coupon for a free, in person lesson from Daigo on how to play Street Fighter in every copy of V and casual players would ignore that. Accessibility is a tug of war between letting casual players pick up their controller and immediately feel like a badass vs. the competitive scene that gets satisfaction out of improving and having clear delineations between skill levels.

The Xrd tutorials are great but still feel like homework. They're mostly useful as a tool to learn odd concepts like Option Selects with the game telling you if you succeeded or not.

Top Bottom