• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: SolForge A F2P CCG by the creators of Magic [Ended, $429K funded]

Forever

Banned
Doesn't look like they're gonna make it unless something wacky happens on the last day from someone with a lot of money (or a fake pledge where the developers repay someone to help reach the goal).

The required $/day has been increasing daily and currently its a over $5000.

Huh? Is this your first Kickstarter? They're over 50% at the halfway mark, they're almost guaranteed to make it.

While we're here, new video interview that includes the latest build of the game; all the cards have art and there's drag and drop functionality.

Also anyone who pledges $25 or more by midnight tomorrow gets a second free starter deck.

Raxum

Huh? Is this your first Kickstarter? They're over 50% at the halfway mark, they're almost guaranteed to make it.

While we're here, new video interview that includes the latest build of the game; all the cards have art and there's drag and drop functionality.

Also anyone who pledges $25 or more by midnight tomorrow gets a second free starter deck.

This made me pledge, I thought I'd missed that promotion, and was meaning to pledge $25 to it anyway, but I just put my $25 into it. Really looking forward to actually playing this game. and $25 is pretty cheap for all the card packs you get.

Edit: My only gripe is that android is a stretch goal, but ability to play it on PC will keep me going for the moment. I don't have any iOS devices, but play lots on the PC.

Kuga

First Kickstarter donation I've ever made. Digital-only TCGs have so much potential if they're done right; hopefully these folks can make it work well. From a competitive standpoint, most of the designers being serious card game veterans makes me feel that the game mechanics and balance will be in good hands. In for $100.

I went to kickstarter and put all my money in it. Now I just have to wait for cards to come out.

If this is basically like a cheaper version of Magic Online I am totally onboard with this.

Raxum

I can definitely see myself upgrading to the $60 tier, I just hope they keep their prices reasonable for the online store. I know they've said they will, it's just a concern of mine.

Forever

Banned
They're doing a great job of maintaining momentum:

dailypledges.png

They've got the PAX demonstration next week too, the timing is perfect. They might hit the first stretch goal.

Unf unf unf unf unf.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Real bummer if they don't hit the Android stretch goal. I swear if they just announced Android it would more than justify the commitment in terms of increased pledges. Co-op mode sounds cool too but at this rate seems unlikely. :/

Karak

Real bummer if they don't hit the Android stretch goal. I swear if they just announced Android it would more than justify the commitment in terms of increased pledges. Co-op mode sounds cool too but at this rate seems unlikely. :/

Same here. Totally feel the same. Also animated cards. I am a sucker for that shit.

ultron87

This looks *great*, looks like it's got about as much depth as an asyncronous game can get. I might have to bump up my pledge from $25 to $60.

It seems like the only kind of things they won't be able to do is counterspell type abilities (or at least non-automatic counters) and anything that requires a response to opponent actions.

As a couple other notes, the guy who walked me through the demo at Gen Con said that most games are going to last until the "Level 3" phase (so 8+ turns I think) and that the Level 3 cards are designed such that a few swings with them should end the game in one way or another. But it is possible to build a super aggressive deck that might win before that. They are also going to make cards that play with the "2 card limit per turn thing".

My only worry right now is that getting lucky and drawing into your higher level dudes earlier on in the Level 2 and Level 3 phases is going to be too much of an advantage.

Kuga

As a couple other notes, the guy who walked me through the demo at Gen Con said that most games are going to last until the "Level 3" phase (so 8+ turns I think) and that the Level 3 cards are designed such that a few swings with them should end the game in one way or another. But it is possible to build a super aggressive deck that might win before that. They are also going to make cards that play with the "2 card limit per turn thing".

My only worry right now is that getting lucky and drawing into your higher level dudes earlier on in the Level 2 and Level 3 phases is going to be too much of an advantage.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Perhaps there will be options for adjusting life points. Hell, maybe even adjust monster attack power since everything is basically pre-alpha.

Just saw this for the first time now thanks to this thread being bumped. Looks good. May be the first Kickstarter I actually put in for.

Hopefully they put the co-op raid mode in eventually, even if they don't make the stretch goal for it to be at launch as co-op card and board games are a severely underutilized genre.

Forever

Banned
Just saw this for the first time now thanks to this thread being bumped. Looks good. May be the first Kickstarter I actually put in for.

Hopefully they put the co-op raid mode in eventually, even if they don't make the stretch goal for it to be at launch as co-op card and board games are a severely underutilized genre.

I have a feeling that the ending spike will let them hit the first stretch goal, and Android development will follow some time after release. It might be a long while before we see coop.

gazele

Banned
Super excited for this but I feel like F2P games have a harder sell on kickstarter seeing as it can be used sort of like a pre-order system

Forever

Banned
Super excited for this but I feel like F2P games have a harder sell on kickstarter seeing as it can be used sort of like a pre-order system

Look at the rewards, you can get booster packs, starter decks, and store credit all at a discount.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gaah I hope it picks up some big hype at Pax. Considering the pedigree and the videos and comparing to other KS it's kind of shockingly low.

gazele

Banned
Look at the rewards, you can get booster packs, starter decks, and store credit all at a discount.

There's good rewards for paying more than it will cost to buy (free) but the "casual" kickstarter user usually only pays the minimum to get the game, because this should be doing waayyy better based on the pedigree and the pitch

Forever

Banned
There's good rewards for paying more than it will cost to buy (free) but the "casual" kickstarter user usually only pays the minimum to get the game, because this should be doing waayyy better based on the pedigree and the pitch

I think the "problem" (which I use loosely because face it, they're going to make it and have change leftover) is that MTG fans are apparently extremely resistant to change.

The most successful Kickstarters of this ilk play off of nostalgia, scraping a million off of those who want the return of something they can no longer get. MTG, on the other hand, is still alive and well. People are still buying new expansions. They're heavily invested in it.

They don't give a shit if Richard Garfield is making something new and rad, they don't want to switch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Guaranteed Android release! Is it possible to edit the thread title or something so the Android folks can see this again?

This post has been a long time coming. The number one request we have gotten from fans and backers is to ensure we hit the Android platform. Today, we are revising our stretch goals and guaranteeing an Android release when we get funded!

Launching on an additional platform isn't easy, but we are committed to making it happen as soon as we can. Our vision with Solforge is to reach as many fans as possible- giving everyone the opportunity to enjoy this game and play wherever you are with old friends and new. The more we raise via Kickstarter, the faster we can make Android (and other requested platforms like Mac) come to life, so please donate what you can and spread the word about Solforge. But regardless of how much we raise above our goal- you have our word you'll see an Android version of SolForge in 2013.

ultron87

It almost seems like they have actually slowed down following the Android announcement. I guess we just need to hope for things to pick back up as the end approaches.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It almost seems like they have actually slowed down following the Android announcement. I guess we just need to hope for things to pick back up as the end approaches.

It was just announced yesterday and they got over $4000, which is better than the previous few days. It really just crashed over the weekend though.

Can't believe there is a possibility of this not making it.

Takuan

I didn't like what I saw in the game play demo. The auto discard, fixed draw, lack of resource control, and auto-leveling strike me as barriers to growth. As a big fan of Magic: the Gathering, I was pretty excited to hear about this when it was announced, but after having seen how it plays, I'll pass on pledging.

ultron87

I didn't like what I saw in the game play demo. The auto discard, fixed draw, lack of resource control, and auto-leveling strike me as barriers to growth. As a big fan of Magic: the Gathering, I was pretty excited to hear about this when it was announced, but after having seen how it plays, I'll pass on pledging.

They have said at points that it will be possible to manipulate almost all of those elements using various cards. They just didn't include such things in the Gen Con demo because they wanted it to be simpler.

Does nobody know about this shit or something? I figured they were an easy lock for $350k+.

The real tanking of momentum over the last few days has just scared me is all. And I really want this one to succeed.

Jhriad

Haven't been paying much attention to the Kickstarter stuff lately after pledging to several early on. Looking this over I'm a bit surprised it hasn't done better. Seems like it'd be a perfect shoo-in for the Kickstarter crowd.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does nobody know about this shit or something? I figured they were an easy lock for $350k+.

I'm guessing the business model is the issue.

Normally with a kickstarter you get a full game. Here you're getting what might end up being overpriced starter packs and booster packs, when traditionally Kickstarter is regular price or represents a savings.

They said the packs are notably cheaper than physical games, but $15 nets you 5 packs ($3 each) and the starter deck comes $10 after that, so I think that's helping to drive people away.

The other f2p game that got funded on Kickstarter was Shadowrun Online, which had to basically make a non f2p version as well to do it.

danmaku

The game looks great, I'm still not sold on the idea of cards that level up permanently, though. Sounds like grinding, and after a while everyone will have all cards leveled up, so what's the point? Making the game harder for beginners?

Anyway, I pledged and I hope they succeed. I like TCGs, but Magic has become too overwhelming, and crazy expensive.

ultron87

The game looks great, I'm still not sold on the idea of cards that level up permanently, though. Sounds like grinding, and after a while everyone will have all cards leveled up, so what's the point? Making the game harder for beginners?

They don't level up permanently. Everything starts at Level 1 each game.

IllumiNate

I have some questions..

How deep is this game? How many cards are going to be in the base set? How frequently can we expect new sets to go on sale? I see that they say there going to sell cards on there estore, which cards? are all the cards in the sets going to be for sale individually?
Any word on how trading among players works? What is the deck size that we can build? Will there be foil versions of cards inserted into packs? I see that backers get a special tournament, will they also hold other tournaments on a regular basis?

vesp

Dinked around with the pax demo and it seemed pretty cool. Same demo as gencon footage, it played pretty smooth and felt like a playdek game wether it is or not. The art is nice, like it considerably more than ascensions.

Doesn't seem like they are going to make it, does it? Maybe PAX will give them a last minute boost. Game seems pretty cool, I went in for the 60 dollar pledge.

ultron87

I upped my pledge to 100 because I really want to see them make it. 50k seems possible with a good last week surge.

Top Bottom