• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: SolForge A F2P CCG by the creators of Magic [Ended, $429K funded]

ultron87

Played around with the beta. Definitely still like what I see. Can't wait to build decks for for it.

One thing that concerns me: you can get super screwed by your draws in this. If you don't draw your level two and level three guys and instead get a grip of level ones a few draws in a row you are mostly boned. Especially since drawing level one guys also means you will not have level threes available later.

Or at least that is my initial impression. Entirely possible I am just not playing right. And of course some variance is expected in a card game.

Im actually very impressed, it feels very polished and some of the art is just gorgeous. As a backer, this is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting.

impirius

I've played about fifteen games on Normal so far, and they are blowouts more often than not. It will be interesting to see how they balance the game for the beta period. It's exciting to get to play this so early, and it's surprisingly polished.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've played about fifteen games on Normal so far, and they are blowouts more often than not. It will be interesting to see how they balance the game for the beta period. It's exciting to get to play this so early, and it's surprisingly polished.

Blowouts as in you are winning or just the scores aren't close? Because I've found it pretty challenging though have only had one really close game. (Thinking a lot of the balancing will come in when deckbuilding is available. Really looking forward to that especially since I supported at a pretty high level so should have tons to choose from.)

impirius

Blowouts as in you are winning or just the scores aren't close? Because I've found it pretty challenging though have only had one really close game. (Thinking a lot of the balancing will come in when deckbuilding is available. Really looking forward to that especially since I supported at a pretty high level so should have tons to choose from.)
60+ point wins either way. Grimgaunt Devourer and Echowisp III seem to be the "wreck everything" cards so far.

I had one really great 13-90 comeback from playing Scout Drone and Technomancer early. I'm hoping that's a viable long-term strategy as I love playing the long game in DBGs.

ultron87

I am so bad at this game and haven't won a game on normal. I can't think in lanes and am evaluating everything as if it was a Magic card. I also like it a lot.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Okay, I'm sold. I may actually do the pre-order bonuses for this game - just one question - can the iOS, PC, and Android versions play together or is it restricted by platform or do we know yet? I'm going to assume it's restricted, but it would be nice if it wasn't.

impirius

Okay, I'm sold. I may actually do the pre-order bonuses for this game - just one question - can the iOS, PC, and Android versions play together or is it restricted by platform or do we know yet? I'm going to assume it's restricted, but it would be nice if it wasn't.

I would be surprised if there's no cross-platform play. They already have to build out a service to keep track of your account and its associated cards. May as well use that instead of additionally tying in to Game Center, etc.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Glad it's coming to Android, I wanna give it a shot - hopefully we'll see a beta sometime in the upcoming months.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I would be surprised if there's no cross-platform play. They already have to build out a service to keep track of your account and its associated cards. May as well use that instead of additionally tying in to Game Center, etc.

That's good because I don't have an iPad right now but I would love to be able to keep the same account across all platforms and I would like to play with my friends who may not have an iPad or Android device equivalent if and whenever I may get one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Newest update mentions normal being too hard lol. It's too easy! Well if it's nerfed and hard is added which becomes the old normal, I hope there's also an insane setting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Newest update mentions normal being too hard lol. It's too easy! Well if it's nerfed and hard is added which becomes the old normal, I hope there's also an insane setting.

Well the real challenge will come when multiplayer is turned on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Don't know how many people follow this still, but they updated the PC steam beta to a newer build with local play, multiple difficulties, and a bunch more decks to choose from (if you didn't back high enough to get them, you don't have to buy them to play against them, the AI will use unbought decks if set to random).

Raxum

Anyone playing this?

Finally got in the mood to play, and built a decent Nek/Ur deck.

I've been playing this a little bit, mainly the 3 games a day for daily rewards.

Finding myself wondering if they're planning to put a trading/reselling aspect into the game. I'd like to be able to sell my excess cards for small amounts of silver or trade them to friends who don't have them. I have like 15-20 of some cards and I really don't need that many of them unless I can put them all in one deck.

Sinatar

I've been playing this a little bit, mainly the 3 games a day for daily rewards.

Finding myself wondering if they're planning to put a trading/reselling aspect into the game. I'd like to be able to sell my excess cards for small amounts of silver or trade them to friends who don't have them. I have like 15-20 of some cards and I really don't need that many of them unless I can put them all in one deck.

They said they plan to have an MMO style auction house in the game at some point as well as drafting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, bunch of us over in the iOS boardgaming thread in Community are playing it. I really enjoy the mechanics and art in the game. Definitely looking forward to more modes than just random quickplay. Only downside atm is that the packs are crazy expensive -- hope the business model doesn't limit the game too much going forward. Especially when they release expansions, which from a gameplay perspective I'm dying to see but financially I just don't see how you can keep up with getting even 2x of important Legendary cards. But they've got time to sort it out. Most importantly for right now the core game is very solid.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I just got into this today. Right off the bat, there are some things I like and some things I really don't like.

The recycling cards thing is genius. The way they level up when they go back into your deck is one of the most refreshing things I've seen a new card game do in ages, exploring that mechanic is the same reason I'm playing.

However I'm not a fan of the drawing a new hand every turn mechanic at all. Or rather, that, in conjunction with the two card play limit, in conjunction with the specific numbers on the removal cards (at least the ones you get early on, like the Witch and the Fire) has been creating this really weird dynamic. See, the removal is almost useless lategame, as a level 3 Witch or Flame never seems strong enough to take out any of their level three threats. So if you're running those cards, it pushes you into a very early aggression to take what advantage you can. But the combination of "can't attack the first turn they're played" with the new hand every turn makes this kind of aggressive strategy really really difficult. Casting down a creature, using another card to get rid of its opponent, and then hoping that next turn your opponent doesn't play a creature in that lane to chump it is, well, incredibly rare, and you can't plan to use the removal card on whatever they do play because you don't even know if you'll have it next turn. I really don't like the hand shuffling mechanic. Its making strategy very difficult for me.

Basically I'm not sure just how good the removal spells are in this game. I'm thinking of purging them from my deck and going for the more "big lategame creature" decks I'm seeing a lot of

Raxum

So I just got into this today. Right off the bat, there are some things I like and some things I really don't like.

The recycling cards thing is genius. The way they level up when they go back into your deck is one of the most refreshing things I've seen a new card game do in ages, exploring that mechanic is the same reason I'm playing.

However I'm not a fan of the drawing a new hand every turn mechanic at all. Or rather, that, in conjunction with the two card play limit, in conjunction with the specific numbers on the removal cards (at least the ones you get early on, like the Witch and the Fire) has been creating this really weird dynamic. See, the removal is almost useless lategame, as a level 3 Witch or Flame never seems strong enough to take out any of their level three threats. So if you're running those cards, it pushes you into a very early aggression to take what advantage you can. But the combination of "can't attack the first turn they're played" with the new hand every turn makes this kind of aggressive strategy really really difficult. Casting down a creature, using another card to get rid of its opponent, and then hoping that next turn your opponent doesn't play a creature in that lane to chump it is, well, incredibly rare, and you can't plan to use the removal card on whatever they do play because you don't even know if you'll have it next turn. I really don't like the hand shuffling mechanic. Its making strategy very difficult for me.

Basically I'm not sure just how good the removal spells are in this game. I'm thinking of purging them from my deck and going for the more "big lategame creature" decks I'm seeing a lot of

What I've noticed from the strategy is you go with removal and creatures that grow as you play, creatures that grow and ways to keep them alive (regen and growth spells), or ridiculously aggressive cards and removal. I was playing a deck that had 1-2 big creatures and mostly aggressive (or at the time, swiftness) creatures, with Uranti Bolt and the like and completely decimating my friends most of the time.

That said, I agree with the complaint about drawing a new hand every turn, it can make strategy very hard, but it comes down to card counting and tracking what cards you've seen so far and when you rank up. It is worthy to note that when you rank you, even cards that are on the field go back into your deck, so it's like starting with a fresh deck, but some cards are stronger. Basically, it ends up being a gamble with almost every play though.

Currently running a pure Uterra deck that draws a bit from Elf decks in magic (though nowhere near as intense). Cards that grow themselves, create saplings or treekin and upgrade those, and lots of growth spells and breakthrough. And strangely it makes for a very aggressive deck that also plays into big creatures late game. I'm actually interested to know what everyone else is building.

Feel free to add me on Steam and in game, name is Raxxum for both.

Sinatar

Well the reason they have you pitch your hand each turn is for asyncronous play. This is going to be on cell phones and the idea is you join a ton of games at once, do your turns while your own the toilet or whatever and then do your next turns the next day. By pitching your hand it lets you take your turns without any planning ahead, you just analyze the board, make the best plays you can then move on.

It's certainly not the best mechanic for a serious competitive game, but for asycronous play it's actually kinda brilliant.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think the hand shuffling with the forced attacking is what's annoying me the most. The conjunction of those two is really making it hard for me to feel like I'm having much control over what's happening on the battlefield.

Oh, also, pitting me right away against players with clearly better decks then me (their attack and health curves top out much higher then mine and like I said, the removal they give you early on is kinda useless) doesn't make me want to buy cards, it just makes me want to stop playing.

I will grant them that that one could be a beta thing though.

Minsc

Gold Member
The hand shuffling and forced attack is kinda refreshing. Remember you can really make the most of it by attacking prior or inbetween playing cards, and splitting a heavy hitter between two cards (attack and damage it, then play a card in same lane after attack so their card fights yours on their turn - hopefully killing it).

If you can purchase the Alloyin Faction Starter do it, and enjoy winning over half all your games. That starter is really OP compared to all the others, I win a bunch online vs random opponents with custom decks (more like a slaughter than a win lol), without even tweaking it.

It also has a bunch of recycling cards in it, so you'll feel less bad about not using the rest of the cards in your hand as you'll be able to discard and level them via the creatures abilities even though you can't play them.

You also get a free card or even pack of cards (i've gotten a regular pack for free even) just for logging in once a day, and another for winning a game or playing three. Not to mention you also get free silver to buy more cards with, so I feel they're being pretty generous with card acquisition for players not looking to spend that much. Also down the road we should be able to sell/forge our extra cards in to something more useful.

The aspect I really like the most is the att/health doesn't reset each turn, well health mainly. I really like that a lot more than having a 2/10 creature that regens to 2/10 every single turn if it's not killed. Shame Hex isn't like that, and uses a traditional MtG style implementation of attack/health.

Sinatar

Yea Alloyin is pretty awesome. I've been playing an Alloy/Nek deck that has been running pretty good.

All star card in that deck: Epidemic. So good.

Sinatar

Well I can confirm you can get legendaries both off the daily prize rewards and from the basic packs you buy with silver. Got 2 today from those.

JoeFu

Banned
Is this the OT for SolForge? I've been playing with a buddy and I always get destroyed, but I'm always having fun with it. Some things that bother me are mostly with the deck building UI, it's hard to tell when you get a new card, and it's hard to see what type cards are, such as Abominations and whatnot. Also the client is buggy and crashed 6 times while opening my booster packs from the kickstarter.... I get my logging in reward after I play 1 game, and my 3 games played after I play a 4th. I know this game is still early, but I'm having fun with it. Just hope they fix the client.

I have it on steam if anybody wants to add me and play me! JoeFu should be my steam name.

Top Bottom