• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Arbiter

Pretty surprised by the responses here. I would have been really interested how they would fit master chief in this game and would get a lot buzz from casual fighting fans while I couldn't care less about playing an enemy from Halo. To each their own I guess.

The Flash

Banned
Pretty surprised by the responses here. I would have been really interested how they would fit master chief in this game and would get a lot buzz from casual fighting fans while I coudln't care less about playing an enemy from Halo. To each their own I guess.

Have you played Halo?

Warxard

Banned
Pretty surprised by the responses here. I would have been really interested how they would fit master chief in this game and would get a lot buzz from casual fighting fans while I couldn't care less about playing an enemy from Halo. To each their own I guess.

So

Have you played Halo 2, 3, and 5

.la1n

Looks good, they translated the character over well. Will be fun having a stage with a battle going on the background as well.

Dai101

Banned
KI still has the worst cheesiest music though.

AbeOik6.jpg

Shooting covenant elites? I believe so. And they all look the same too me.
Arbiter is one of the main characters in the series. You play as him through half of Halo 2, he accompanies you throughout almost the entirety of Halo 3 as a major protagonist and ally, and he plays a huge role throughout Halo 5.

Zeta Oni

The trailer is great, but you can't exactly blame fans for being at least a little disappointed it's not Keith David.

i mean, only if you expected Iron Galaxy to throw up some Kieth David money.

Killer Instinct is great, but its not exactly Halo status in terms of budget.

Until it is, I heard this VA placed first in a kieth david sound alike contest, which Keith David was in and only placed third.

Kieth David.

Edit : What a great sounding name.

I bought a HORI Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa for the Xbox One just for KI and will be eventually getting season 3 so this is not a subtle troll attempt on the game. It's one of my favorites released so far this gen. I just personally preferred if they went from the Halo universe, they would have gotten Master Chief.

I don't think this is a bad choice either, and I don't want to derail the thread going on about my personal preferences on what should be included.

Delt31

I can sort of give you Battle Toad. But if I was unaware of Halo I wouldn't question Arbiter as a KI character at all. He fits in just fine next to Glacius and Fulgore.

I agree that on the surface he would fit but the character comes with so much else b/c of his history that it overshadows the game he's in. KI is a great franchise and doesn't need to cash it in like this. It actually devalues a great game imo.

DedValve

Banned
I agree that on the surface he would fit but the character comes with so much else b/c of his history that it overshadows the game he's in. KI is a great franchise and doesn't need to cash it in like this. It actually devalues a great game imo.

I personally am more excited than ever to play as Arbiter. And its not like I play Killer Instinct for its story or lore although what they do put in there is greatly appreciated.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No Keith David?

Gargolas-.gif

But the actor on display here (Is it Kevin Michael Richardson?) still sounds great on his own, and has similar gravitas to his voice.

I like how he pulled out his Rifle for the air juggling, and the sticky grenade seems to be less of a damage dealer, and more of a stun / pace control ability. He should have great range with all those Plasma blade normals. Looking very good so far, can't wait to find out his in-depth traits.

I mean... that's like calling Sheredder "some bad guy" in Ninja Turtles, or thinking Vergil is just a random boss fight in Devil May Cry.

He's not just "an enemy", he's a character that rivals the Master Chief in importance to the franchise. One of the first things people said when the new Glacius design was revealed for 2013 KI was "Hey, he looks like a Halo Elite! LET'S GET ARBITER HERE TOO!"

The fact they went with a popular character that fits, and not just a popular character for the sake of the name, simply raises respect levels. I'm not the biggest Halo fan, but I've always wanted to do more with a Plasma blade than a few swipes and that victory uppercut. And getting that iconic Halo-chanting into a fighting game's music is also much appreciated.

AlStrong

Wonder if the renderer improvements are a result of tech sharing with 343i.

edit:

Are the background action events new for the game?

The Flash

Banned
Pretty good. Doesn't have the Sanwa parts that traditional high end sticks but I did my research before hand and read the kuro buttons are just as good and I don't feel quality difference.

Would it be something that you'd recommend to someone new to arcade sticks?

Zeta Oni

Actually, checking imdb for Kieth David suggests it might be more of a schedule conflict scenario, as his 2016 looks fully packed

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Actually, checking imdb for Kieth David suggests it might be more of a schedule conflict scenario, as his 2016 looks fully packed

It's not schedule, it's a different character, crafted for KI specifically, incorporating aspects of multiple elites/arbiters, just like the DOA4 Spartan.

mcrommert

Banned
It's not schedule, it's a different character, crafted for KI specifically, incorporating aspects of multiple elites/arbiters, just like the DOA4 Spartan.

Please don't tell me that...but I guess then it's easier to unite a more vague archetype story with ki than the arbiter we know

FyreWulff

Please don't tell me that...but I guess then it's easier to unite a more vague archetype story with ki than the arbiter we know

It's consistent with DoA4 Nicole. Actual characters stay in the first person shooters. Anyone in other games is a character specifically justified to exist in said game.

We've also had another Arbiter in games already, for Halo Wars, and this voice sounds like the midpoint between Thel and Warsbiter.

Would it be something that you'd recommend to someone new to arcade sticks?

I'm not a stick aficionado but from using it I think it is a good choice. Especially on Xbox One since it's really the only option besides the KI Mad Catz stick that is out of production and goes for three times as much. I guess you can get a PS3/PS4 stick where you will have more options and a cronusmax adapter. I didn't get an adapter for my other sticks because I heard some mixed things about cronusmax and titan one, plus I just wanted something where I could plug in my Xbox One and know it will work.

Top Bottom