• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Arbiter

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I agree that on the surface he would fit but the character comes with so much else b/c of his history that it overshadows the game he's in. KI is a great franchise and doesn't need to cash it in like this. It actually devalues a great game imo.

I mean... it really doesn't. Sure having the Arbiter might be the ONLY reason some people play KI at first, but he's a cool addition, much like Ryo popping up in Fatal Fury 2 was very cool back then (which is what lead to KoF).

I could feel the devaluation more legitimately if half the cast of KI S1 was guest characters. Or if they obviously used Arbiter as a way to pull attention to a game that wasn't worth him appearing in. But 3+ years in, with him being pulled into KI traditions (Unique stage and soundtrack, with a much more robust moveset than he'd have in his own game, leading to his identity being expanded, moreso than his existence defining KI as it's own product), I can just feel good about this inclusion, no strings attached.

Plus he's one of 8 or so additions this season. I'd again be very tempted to agree with you more, if this season was all one big Halo marketing device. But it's obvious much more than that.

Nazo

Its a shame about the lack of Keith David but this VA isn't bad either.

The Arbiter's move set looks awesome! Really love that he uses sticky grenades.

Zomba13

It's consistent with DoA4 Nicole. Actual characters stay in the first person shooters. Anyone in other games is a character specifically justified to exist in said game.

Could still use the aspect of his voice combined with the looks of a made up character and the back-story of a different made up character.

Salty Hippo

That is a bad thread title.

Arbiter looks great. No idea why release this trailer now, though. If there is one thing that would have resonated with the non KI players watching the Win10 event, it was this.

clav

I don't get it. Why not go all in and put in master chief? MS owns the IP and it will get XB1 users who are not interested in fighting games to take a second look.

What would Master Chief's Instinct power be?

Arbiter makes the most sense with the cloaking ability although we don't know what the instinct is yet.

The Flash

Banned
I'm not a stick aficionado but from using it I think it is a good choice. Especially on Xbox One since it's really the only option besides the KI Mad Catz stick that is out of production and goes for three times as much. I guess you can get a PS3/PS4 stick where you will have more options and a cronusmax adapter. I didn't get an adapter for my other sticks because I heard some mixed things about cronusmax and titan one, plus I just wanted something where I could plug in my Xbox One and know it will work.

Cool. I'll definitely have to check it out. Cheers.

Arbiter looks great. No idea why release this trailer now, though. If there is one thing that would have resonated with the non KI players watching the Win10 event, it was this.

It was during a Halo tournament. They'll probably release another trailer during the Win10 event.

Pachinko

Hah, came in here to mention the lack of Keith David and the entire first page is full of people commenting on that. Sounds like Kevin Micheal Richardson (who among many roles is perhaps most recently famous for playing Shredder in the 2012 edition of ninja turtles). I could be wrong though.

Looks pretty cool and the new music composers seem to be continuing the grand tradition of epic synth music. I approve.

Max, I look forward to future trailers and I hope your computer woes are over now.

SRTtoZ

Oh god I hate when they don't get the real voice actors :/

I actually somewhat enjoyed Forward Unto Dawn until MC showed up with some scrubby voice actor. I'm sure he will be cool to have in the game at least.

Zomba13

I actually somewhat enjoyed Forward Unto Dawn until MC showed up with some scrubby voice actor. I'm sure he will be cool to have in the game at least.

That was just an amalgamation of all Master Chiefs.

To be fair, Chief is supposed to be 30 years younger.

Though also to be fair, he still sounds older than that.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
They nailed the look, moves and stage perfectly.

I didn't expect to love The Arbiter as much as I love how Rash was brought over, but they did it.

Amazing job.

Azzawon

I get the hate for the voice, but it's literally just for the trailer. Characters rarely even talk in the game unless it's for their endgame taunt or a special move, and I highly doubt Arbiter would do that in-game.

blamite

It's not schedule, it's a different character, crafted for KI specifically, incorporating aspects of multiple elites/arbiters, just like the DOA4 Spartan.

Ah yes, Ni 'Coledamee, the arbiter who mysteriously disappeared in a frak slipspace accident and no waits in a time bubble to be returned to his own time.

blamite

People not getting that Arbiter is a title not a person. Oh well.

To be fair this arbiter looks identical to Thel, who at this point is basically The Arbiter... I mean, we've seen generic arbiter armor in the past (Legends, Wars, the armor Thel got in H2), and the KI arbiter's armor is basically identical to Thel's H5 armor, which seems more like actual new armor made for his new role than a redesign like how Master Chief's armor was completely redesigneded even though it's technically the same armor from H3. So it doesn't really make sense for it to be work by a historical Arbiter.

Plus he uses the Prophet's Bane which is explicitly Thel's sword. Why would a historical Arbiter have that?

Like, does it still count as an amalgamation if the only thing that's identifiably different from a specific character is the voice?

Monocle

Damn, they nailed the look of the level, and I love the music. The Arbiter himself is looking good too. Great choice for a guest character.

Sou Da

To be fair this arbiter looks identical to Thel, who at this point is basically The Arbiter... I mean, we've seen generic arbiter armor in the past (Legends, Wars, the armor Thel got in H2), and the KI arbiter's armor is basically identical to Thel's H5 armor, which seems more like actual new armor made for his new role than a redesign like how Master Chief's armor was completely redesigneded even though it's technically the same armor from H3. So it doesn't really make sense for it to be work by a historical Arbiter.

Plus he uses the Prophet's Bane which is explicitly Thel's sword. Why would a historical Arbiter have that?

Like, does it still count as an amalgamation if the only thing that's identifiably different from a specific character is the voice?

I'm pretty sure Stinkles said there are going to be different costumes as well which would justify the voice change.

They didn't want to fuck with our Arby too much so they called it a generic. Canon folks and all. It's silly in the adult world but then again look how many people are getting twisted over a change in voice actor. It's going to be so stupid reading 150 pages about how Halo 6 sucks because Chief's voice actor is retiring. They should give Chief a Hispanic accent in the first trailer just to fuck with people.

It's not Thel. It's a blend of historical arbiters so he can wear different costumes and fight a battletoad in Chicago.
lol I find it strange how you guys can't just straight up call him Thel as if you're trying to adhere to some Halo X KI canon that doesn't exist. That is of course if you're not planning to have Fulgore in Halo 6? If it's because of his voice, then people need to get over it. Downes wasn't Master Chief in Halo Legends: The Package, after all.

Killer Halo Instinct Cinematic Universe inbound though? :b

blamite

I'm pretty sure Stinkles said there are going to be different costumes as well which would justify the voice change.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's not a Halo game, there shouldn't even be a need to consider how to justify that, imo. Certainly not to the extent of changing such an iconic voice. Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

lol I find it strange how you guys can't just straight up call him Thel as if you're trying to adhere to some Halo X KI canon that doesn't exist. That is of course if you're not planning to have Fulgore in Halo 6?

Yeah, this. It's okay to admit you just didn't want to pay for Keith David! You guys don't need to pretend there's some meta-fictional reason we're going with his non-union equivalent Señor Thelbergo instead!

I wonder if Halo Wars 2 will have a KI easter egg

What would Master Chief's Instinct power be?

Arbiter makes the most sense with the cloaking ability although we don't know what the instinct is yet.

Instant armor lock (block everything in the game, also combo breaks) then gain shield or something, throw back to how op it was in reach (ugh)/

The Flash

Banned
You may have noticed this trailer was lacking a teaser. Worry not, we will release the full version later this week. Wednesday? Wednesday

https://twitter.com/KillerInstinct/status/701580594564636672

why isn't the sword blue?

It's his Halo 5 sword. The Prophet's Bane.

rKKI6BM.jpg

Looks neat. His sword being the hideous yellow crabclaw monstrosity from 5 does not look neat though, hopefully there is a retro costume with the blue/pink/purple sword from H2. Also, yeah why the hell does he have "Arbiter Thel 'Vadam' personal energy sword" if it isn't Thel? Frankie your eyes are turning a beautiful shade of brown.

I really don't give a poop about the voice actor or which arbiter it is. It's the same deal as the spartan in doa.

Im just happy we have an Arbiter in Ki finally!!

And God damn he looks huge next to Thunder. Imagine the height difference next to Wulf.

Beyond fucking hyped!

Zomba13

"Isn't" but "is". 343 can say that this isn't Thel all they want but for all practical reasons it is Thel.

It looks like Thel, acts like Thel, Speaks (but doesn't sound like) Thel, recounts the events of Thel's life, uses Thel's weapon but is actually an amalgamation of all the rich Arbiters from history like Thel and.... That one that was in Halo Wars (that "ALL UNITS" played and loved).

Seriously though, they need to have some kind of fudal samurai armour for this one like what was in one of the Halo anime short things.

Top Bottom