• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

DrDogg

At this point, I don't know how much I trust what DHG says in terms of how good a character is. All we heard before Spinal's release was how salty he would make people and how good he was. A month after release and few people think he's anything but the worst in the game, let alone making people salty... unless they meant the Spinal players would be salty.

I'm actually curious as to whether or not Spinal was nerfed before he was released. That would give me a bit more confidence, otherwise I don't understand some of the design decisions in the game, especially in regards to Spinal.

.la1n

I am thinking they probably toned down Spinal before release. I imagine his ability to steal meter and instinct used to be significantly better. That is the only way I can see the character making other people salty because in his current form he does not live up to that.

Not really looking forward to a Fulgore that zones as it's probably my least favorite fighting game arch type. Honestly I'll be happy if they just manage to get all these updates out and not completely break the game in the process.

derFeef

You guys know by now that I am not a competent fighting game guy, but spinal is my least favourite character to use. Which is sad because I loved that character back then. In fairness though I probably played that game all wrong as well ;)

I am under the impression they try to make the new characters from now on a tad more technical and complex.

.la1n

Spinal is pretty much a brand new character compared to KI 1 / 2 and don't feel bad feef because he is very difficult to learn, even for people who play fighting games constantly (like me.)

hwalker84

Not really looking forward to a Fulgore that zones as it's probably my least favorite fighting game arch type. Honestly I'll be happy if they just manage to get all these updates out and not completely break the game in the process.

Amen. I also don't see Fulgore making it this month. Don't they have to finish figuring out why this latest update broke the game for some people?

I'm actually curious as to whether or not Spinal was nerfed before he was released. That would give me a bit more confidence, otherwise I don't understand some of the design decisions in the game, especially in regards to Spinal.

Might have been what caused the long wait for his release.

Or it could have been multiple other issues/bugs that we don't know about lol.

So what do you all think about Fulgore being a Zoner?

I'm excited for him. I solely played as Dhalsim in SF4 and got pretty good..Never found a feeling for rushdown characters and in KI I've been using Saberwulf but it doesn't feel right..

Didn't like Glacius, so I'm happy to try another zoner out...Fulgore may be just what I'm looking for.

wtf people don't like spinal? he is by far the best character in the game!

also what is this 600 mb update about?

I too enjoy playing as Spinal. Sadira is my main, followed by Spinal.

The update patch notes:

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION PER COLOR
Players will now be able to save their favorite character-specific customizations to specific colors.

UPSELL OPTION ADDED
Players who do not own the Combo/Ultra bundles can now purchase their characters from the character select screen.

UI UPDATES
- XBOX Live renamed to “MULTIPLAYER”
- Leaderboards now located on the main menu

***GENERAL FIXES***

GAME INVITE UPDATES
If you receive game/match invites prior to the “downloading content” screen, players will be prompted AFTER the check-in.

REPLAY FIXES
The replay functionality has now been updated and fixed.

DRAW MATCHES DATA
Match stats now correctly if a match results in a DRAW when playing online.

WELL ROUNDED STATS UPDATE
Ranked “Most Well Rounded” win ration column has now been fixed to show correct data.

Blu10

Ok holy crap...I hope this is just a glitch or you really are supposed to play this like I do always playing random. I just go ten, as in 10 kp for playing 1,000 matches. I'll never get the unlocks I want with that kind of bs.

Mononoke

Banned
So I have a question, and it might be a dumb one. I'm not good at this game, I'm a button masher. I still have fun though. I bring this up, because when my friend comes over, he's having an issue that I can't replicate (and since I don't know what I'm doing, I can't figure it out).

Basically, whenever he starts to launch into a combo, his character will stop...and make a taunt. But it's not like an official taunt (he's not pressing the view button). So let's say he's playing Sabrewulf, he'll be slashing away, then his character stops, growls and starts shaking his fists violently. There is also a sound that is made whenever it happens (and this happens very quickly). Thing is, this keeps happening over and over with other characters he plays, and it's always the same thing. Character stops what they are doing, and quickly makes a gesture (and a sound goes off).

I have no fuckin idea what he's doing, or how he's causing this to happen. Like I said, I can pull off insane combos, and I can't replicate what he's doing. It's not a controller issue, because it happens on either controller he plays with. Sorry if this isn't enough info, I can't really explain it in detail well. We basically just want to have fun, and aren't taking the game seriously. But it was driving him nuts.

Blu10

So I have a question, and it might be a dumb one. I'm not good at this game, I'm a button masher. I still have fun though. I bring this up, because when my friend comes over, he's having an issue that I can't replicate (and since I don't know what I'm doing, I can't figure it out).

Basically, whenever he starts to launch into a combo, his character will stop...and make a taunt. But it's not like an official taunt (he's not pressing the view button). So let's say he's playing Sabrewulf, he'll be slashing away, then his character stops, growls and starts shaking his fists violently. There is also a sound that is made whenever it happens (and this happens very quickly). Thing is, this keeps happening over and over with other characters he plays, and it's always the same thing. Character stops what they are doing, and quickly makes a gesture (and a sound goes off).

I have no fuckin idea what he's doing, or how he's causing this to happen. Like I said, I can pull off insane combos, and I can't replicate what he's doing. It's not a controller issue, because it happens on either controller he plays with. Sorry if this isn't enough info, I can't really explain it in detail well. We basically just want to have fun, and aren't taking the game seriously. But it was driving him nuts.

He's not pushing both medium buttons at the same time is he?

He's hitting medium punch/kick and doing a counter breaker (or accidentally doing one). If you hit those buttons together mid combo and the opponent doesn't combo break it will drop the combo

derFeef

So I was playing a bit with the controller for funsies, checking the patch out and doing some KP challanges. Is it weird that I am kinda better playing with the controller now? Maybe it's just a placebo effect.

Mononoke

Banned
He's hitting medium punch/kick and doing a counter breaker (or accidentally doing one). If you hit those buttons together mid combo and the opponent doesn't combo break it will drop the combo

That sounds like it might be it. Okay, next time he's over (he's coming over tomorrow), I'll have him try this to replicate it. I appreciate the quick replies. You guys are great.

.la1n

So I was playing a bit with the controller for funsies, checking the patch out and doing some KP challanges. Is it weird that I am kinda better playing with the controller now? Maybe it's just a placebo effect.

Controller isn't nearly as bad as people perceive it as.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That sounds like it might be it. Okay, next time he's over (he's coming over tomorrow), I'll have him try this to replicate it. I appreciate the quick replies. You guys are great.

I guess this is a time where recording can come in handy.

Is it this? http://1drv.ms/1h2aJk4

As mentioned, that's a counter breaker with with mp+mk, stops a combo as it's meant to catch a combo breaker.

What are peoples thoughts on the Cronusmax? Does it cause problems? I have a PS3 stick I would like to use with this and was thinking of getting one in the future.

bumpkin

Works perfectly. I highly recommend it.
Seconded. I haven't done any testing to validate complaints of it interfering with a second controller's input, but that's inconsequential for playing solo locally or online. Being able to use my 360 Fightstick TE was a game changer.

DrDogg

He may also be pressing left or right on the left analog stick. It's MP+MK, and very easy to hit depending on how you hold the controller.

Friction

Need help guys.

I played some exhibition matches with my brother online. Weird thing is, my exhibition fight title count isn't increasing. Any idea why? I paid for mine but my bro is playing for free. Is that the reason? Can't really see why since I paid for my copy.

Thanks.

"CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION PER COLOR
Players will now be able to save their favorite character-specific customizations to specific colors."

Best news ever!!

Is Thunder going to be the free character soon?

I'm trying to complete the World Tour mode to get the free pin, but haven't run into one Thunder in quite some time. Also still need Sabrewulf..Ran into a couple, but they beat me..

I also wish replays would save any voice comments by your opponent. I'm no great player but I was kicking some kid's ass and he says, "Yeah, you're kicking my ass you fucking pussy ass bitch." Started on his second life bar and at this point I wanted to humilate him so I solely played the "throw or sweep" wakeup game with him and drained 75% of his final bar just doing one of those two moves and finished it up with my first double ultra...It was satisfying..lol

dankir

Sort of related but I listen to Video game music primarily when I'm at the gym.

Recent rotation has been Hotline Miami and Killer Instinct.

Deadlifted 400 lbs (1 rep max) to Orchids theme yesterday cuz it got me so pumped. Mick is godlike :) Can't wait to hear Fulgore's theme.

Do we have any idea who the final boss is going to be? Eyedol? Gargos? Shadow Jago?

So, I've noticed something regarding the AI in Killer Instinct.

I play Thunder primarily, and one thing I do a lot as Thunder is go for resets/ticks involving his command-throw special/shadow. Ending combos early with lights, ticking into it through medium and heavy normals, empty jumps, you know...standard stuff. The AI would pretty much consistently fall for these grab tactics consistently, I found.

Ever since the recent patch however, the AI is now consistently jumping whenever I attempt a throw reset/tick throw on "veteran" difficulty. It never used to escape these throw attempts, but now the AI backdashes, jumps, and occasionally throws out "uppercut" style moves to get out of these throw attempts with Thunder. I like this change, it keeps me on my toes.

I don't know if anybody else has experienced a jump in the AI...difficulty, for lack of a better term, but I certainly have. It's adapted!

Top Bottom