• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

jett

D-Member
Sony...YOU SO FUCKING STUPID. Why didn't you show this at your conference...this and Motorstorm 2, which now looks pretty sweet.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is one of the few games where the actual in-game stuff lives up to its amazing conceptual art.

Just amazing. It's friggin' awesome.

kbear

All we need to know now is about the leveling system and ranks... assuming there is one. I know some people don't like the +10 xp stuff in COD4 and Battlefield Bad Company, but I just think it's so damn satisfying and rewarding. If they implement something similar to that, I'll be ecstatic. In BFBC, you get points for dropping med kits and repairing vehicles as the support class... shit like that really gives people an incentive to help out their team. You get the same amount for healing a teammate as killing someone (+10)

iceatcs

13.jpg

I love this one, so details and OMG light.

slider

The cloaking effect (from TTP's posted pic on the last page) looks pretty slick.

Sci-fi fantasies realised for many. I know I'll be making a "zoooumm" sound as it kicks in.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
jett said:
Sony...YOU SO FUCKING STUPID. Why didn't you show this at your conference...this and Motorstorm 2, which now looks pretty sweet.

Hmmm they should have but it really isnt that important, i mean its gonna get the same amount of publicity as if they showed it at the confrence............ people only want them to show it there so they can tout there "Who WON E3" awards....... and meh to them awesome stuff over the 3 days is what E3 should be about not an hour long confrence and them MEH for the rest of it.

-viper-

Banned
raYne said:
We knew it had blood for a long time now. So that's not exactly new.
Should've made my post a little clearer - everyone assumed the blood was heavily toned down, but seeing the blood effects and splatter on the floor seems to suggest otherwise.

Raistlin

drknite said:
One of the Sony guys that was on G4 about 45 minutes ago was going through a KZ2 demo mentioned that new Killzone info would spill over each day of E3. Why not all at once?

Keeps it at the top of daily site posts/info.

Much easier to catch peoples attention that way

xaosslug

jett said:

these games are at the point where they don't NEED Sony's conference- I had always seen conferences in general as a way to offer a platform to "get the word out" etc. - KZ2 and MS2 can stand on their own, honestly. People are gonna talk about them regardless of Sony's conference- like so. :D

btkadams

how many players?? this sounds amazing so far, i just dont want to be let down. i casually bought killzone 1 without knowing all the hype and i still didnt enjoy it that much.

-viper-

Banned
btkadams said:
how many players?? this sounds amazing so far, i just dont want to be let down. i casually bought killzone 1 without knowing all the hype and i still didnt enjoy it that much.
32 I think.

Concept17

karasu said:
The best artistic style that a shooter has ever had!

Agreed 100%.

I knew from the concept art they had some great artists with them. But seeing these models in game goes to show what kind of talent they really employ.

Absolutely stunning.

traveler

Not Wario
Graphics look amazing as expected, shooting looks intense, etc. I wouldn't kill Golem though. He is right in that the map design does look very horizontally focused and doesn't seem to feature much in the way of interesting variables to mix up the firefights. (unlike the game depicted in his avatar- a source of contention here apparently, although I don't really see why. It's perfectly feasible that one could prefer what they're seeing of Gears 2 while still considering KZ2 generic- the games are going in different directions after all.) It's still way too premature for me to pronounce any kind of judgment, though; I could just see where one might get that idea.

Badge idea is interesting, but I kinda wonder if all these ideas built on compromises are getting it. See Resistance's health system for example- in an attempt to placate (and this is assumption on my part as I can't see any other reason for it) those calling the shield system "too easy" while still including that feature of almost every modern fps, they went halfway, nullifying the whole idea behind the design of the feature (freedom to make every encounter life or death) and forcing themselves to design the levels with health packs at just the right spots as if they hadn't included the feature at all. It totally shot the design in the foot.

The whole reason I bring this is up is that I feel this mix and match your own class is a very similar design choice in that tries to please two different crowds- those who like the idea of a dedicated role to play as well as those who like the idea of customizability- and it might suffer a similar fate. (Watering down the one while still requiring all the usual concessions for the other.) But, like the map design, this is really too early a call. The concept is, at the very least, intriguing and it does do a good job of giving this game its own hallmark feature to lay claim to in the mp space.

zoukka

Actually looking at those shots it's the use of post-processing and filters and motion blur etc that makes it look so good. From technical standpoint I think it's not that special when compared to Bad Company for example.

Was the 32 players confirmed? I would settle for even less because I think KZ should approach MP with more intimate way... it somehow fits better with those visuals and the way the player moves and animates.

Raistlin

HomerSimpson-Man said:
But they sure as hell create a vibe that is thoroughly reflected and reverberated long after in gaming entertainment sector.

Not really.

The gaming information that the general community gets is based on a summary of the whole of E3, as well as specific previews for games that the mags/sites demoed.

Now for people like us, that watch every move that is made ... we end up seeing all this stuff anyway.

FirewalkR

OT:

Once again, since most people to whom this may matter are in this thread, coming next (in 10 mins or less) in IGN's Livewire, a Motorstorm 2 interview/demo:

http://livewire.ign.com/

If you want to see it check it now, lest they start early. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the mp classes remind of a mix between wolfenstein:et and call of duty 4's perk system.
i dont think you can get a better mix than that. :)

nib95

Banned
I can't believe it manages to look that good with 32 players.... :O

Best thing is, Dedicated servers on all 1st party titles baby! Lag free gaming for free w00t!!!

Clinton514

Bad_Boy said:
the mp classes remind of a mix between wolfenstein:et and call of duty 4's perk system.
i dont think you can get a better mix than that. :)
Yes! Wolfenstein ET was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video.

Evolved1

FFObsessed said:
New avatar get!

He looks so fucking awesome, like a sci-fi grim reaper!

Just about every skin looks amazing...

<---- I like this ISA dude.

My day has been made it was already going good with:

Video Service
Then R2
Then Infamous
Then Motorstorm
and now
THIS!

Ahh this has been a good week so far.

zoukka said:
Actually looking at those shots it's the use of post-processing and filters and motion blur etc that makes it look so good. From technical standpoint I think it's not that special when compared to Bad Company for example.

Because all those "post-processing fx, filters, motion blur etc" barely require a cycle from the hardware, right? *rolls eyes*

nib95

Banned
People should just ignore zoukka, the anti-Sony downplaying mantra from him is getting too predictable/common these days.

Evolved1

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Because all those "post-processing fx, filters, motion blur etc" barely require a cycle from the hardware, right? *rolls eyes*

Dude... I bet all these games look pretty damn similar in wireframe.

:lol

-viper- said:
Now all we need is confirmation of split-screen with bots and we're good to go for my 2009 GOTY.
Yes this! Including this and all of the other features in the game will make it the perfect shooter.

JimiNutz

Banned
nib95 said:
I can't believe it manages to look that good with 32 players.... :O

Best thing is, Dedicated servers on all 1st party titles baby! Lag free gaming for free w00t!!!

It's an amazing feat, really didn't expect the MP to look so damn good graphically. Dedicated Servers are a must as well, online is gonna be pretty special for KZ2.

Top Bottom