• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

Kittonwy

Banned
Russtic said:
Glowing eyes cliche needs to die.

They're meant to make players readable on the field, kind of like the blue glow on the backs of the good guyz.
Indifferent2.gif

Nizz

I really hope (as long as Killzone 2 is great) that Killzone 3 gets released on this gen hardware and not PS4. I don't like having to buy a new machine each time a game in the series releases. K1=PS2, K2=PS3, K3=......PS4? No thanks. Give me K3 on PS3. By the time it would release, devs (especially Sony first party) will really be going wild with what they can do with the machine. As the groundwork is laid out already (solid engine) they can refine it or push it even more.

thuway

I hope the engine is used in more titles than just Killzone 2. With such a huge amount invested, it would be a shame if this was the only game to use it.

Wollan

Will be PS3 for sure. It's kinda hard to guess where the series will go because there's so much shroud over this one. I mean, we've seen a lot of gameplay but it's all from just a tiny part of the package. Just looking at KZLiberation makes you wonder what crazy stuff we've yet to see for KZ2 (KZL had cyborgs, attack dogs, droids, boats, mechs..etc).

RiverBed

Banned
with Sony having two major shooters, they don't have to rush them both that close to each other. I want to see the Insomniac system applied to all Sony's teams- if applicable. that means I want to see a fresh new game throwin in between major installments of main franchises. many big Sony teams did something new for PS3. some may continue with those, do new ones again or go back to their previous franchise. but I would like to see fresh blood every now and then.

RiverBed said:
with Sony having two major shooters, they don't have to rush them both that close to each other. I want to see the Insomniac system applied to all Sony's teams- if applicable. that means I want to see a fresh new game throwin in between major installments of main franchises. many big Sony teams did something new for PS3. some may continue with those, do new ones again or go back to their previous franchise. but I would like to see fresh blood every now and then.

I would rather have Killzone 2 this year and R2 next holiday.

Madman

I think a horror game would fit the Killzone engine better. RPGs are usually bright and vivid, which doesn't fit well with what the engine seems to do best. A horror game with a bunch of small lights on a windy, dimly lit street seems like a better fit.

KZ2 is a massive project spanning years of development and has tons of hype riding on it.

R2 is a known quantity; it's coming from Insomniac, it's going to be feature packed, it's going to be awesome.

Killzone 2 needs to be highly polished rather than rushed. The biggest mistake of the previous game was rushing it. With Resistance 2 going to ship on time and be awesome, Killzone 2 was the logical choice to let slide.

Madman

Rapping Granny said:
Which is Killzone 2.
Yeah, they cut co-op just so they would have something to work on port release, right? Not because of time constraints and them missing their intended launch year. Totally...

JimiNutz

Banned
Madman said:
I think a horror game would fit the Killzone engine better. RPGs are usually bright and vivid, which doesn't fit well with what the engine seems to do best. A horror game with a bunch of small lights on a windy, dimly lit street seems like a better fit.

Yeah I like this idea.
Make like another Siren or a similar sort of game on this engine.
Maybe they could buck the trend though and make a dark depressing RPG instead of a bright colourful one?
Also seeing pictures of Killzone 2 with the post-Processing filters turned off shows that they probably could do a brighter game on the engine if they wanted to

ianp622

Madman said:

Who said an RPG has to be bright and vivid? (I know you said usually, but I don't think we should restrict games based on previous similar games).

Madman

ianp622 said:
Who said an RPG has to be bright and vivid? (I know you said usually, but I don't think we should restrict games based on previous similar games).
No one. But a dark, gritty RPG is not something I would be too keen on. We have enough dark and gritty games in other genres.

Madman said:
No one. But a dark, gritty RPG is not something I would be too keen on. We have enough dark and gritty games in other genres.

I'm sure something like (the original) Shadowrun or Syndicate would work really well with this engine. As far as vibes go, I definitely see a Blade Runner or even a Dark City when I look at some of the city scenes. But that is really only taking into consideration the artistic choices in KZ2 and the colour pallet they have used. I am sure that something brighter and more organic looking would also be possible as the lighting and shading tools seem pretty robust, and the post-processing filters used account for a lot of the atmosphere we experience.

RiverBed

Banned
Madman said:
an engine has nothing to do with the color, art style or atmosphere of a game. that is the art director's job. look how varied UE3 games are from gritty 'bald space marines' to Korean colorful MMOs.

Madman said:

Actually for me, a dark gritty RPG would be absolutely keen for me, especially a action horror RPG. There's enough wacky color Japanesesy effeminate-boy heroes RPGs as is! For the love of god the RPG genre needs as much push for variations as in other genres too!

Madman

RiverBed said:
an engine has nothing to do with the color, art style or atmosphere of a game. that is the art director's job. look how varied UE3 games are from gritty 'bald space marines' to Korean colorful MMOs.
I figured that the engine is being used optimally in Killzone, so it's art may be tailored to the strengths of the engine. RPGs tend to be vivid and wouldn't have much use for the engine's ability to cast lights/shadows as well as the destruction capabilities. I get what you mean though.

-viper-

Banned
RiverBed said:
You can spot an UE3 game from a mile away, and that is not a good thing.

Almost every UE3 game has the same graphical style, with the exception of Gears 2.

RiverBed

Banned
Madman said:
I figured that the engine is being used optimally in Killzone, so it's art may be tailored to the strengths of the engine. RPGs tend to be vivid and wouldn't have much use for the engine's ability to cast lights/shadows as well as the destruction capabilities. I get what you mean though.
ah, I see what you mean. it is true that some engines are built around specific genres. although you can probably make any game using any genre, it may not perform the best under the specific demands of different genres.

so maybe the KZ2 engine (why don't they release the names or at least nicknames for these?) is more suitable for fast paced action like FPSs and 3drPSs.

as for a gritty, horror RPG, I think the Shin Megami Tensi series proved there is a market for such projects. they only need to get rid of the kiddie aspects of that and viola, you got yourself one bad-ass dark RPG. I wonder if there has ever been such a game before? I can't think of any.

RiverBed

Banned
-viper- said:
You can spot an UE3 game from a mile away, and that is not a good thing.

Almost every UE3 game has the same graphical style, with the exception of Gears 2.
how so? such 'visual similarities' may be due to the popularity of Gears that a lot of other games try to capture that 'look' to get more interest. some art styles in some genres get popular that they become apparent in a lot of other games as well.
but saying that a tool has a distinct art style is like saying Photoshop has an anime feel to characters created by it whereas Corel has a more Western one. it just depends on how you use your brush, not how it is made.

RiverBed said:
how so? such 'visual similarities' may be due to the popularity of Gears that a lot of other games try to capture that 'look' to get more interest. some art styles in some genres get popular that they become apparent in a lot of other games as well.
but saying that a tool has a distinct art style is like saying Photoshop has an anime feel to characters created by it whereas Corel has a more Western one. it just depends on how you use your brush, not how it is made.
The excessive use of bumpmapping in almost, if not all, UE3.0 games is what makes them all look the same. Mirrors Edge is the first exception but that uses their own lighting engine.

Wollan

A lot of UE3 games take use of a stock texture library which is probably the main reason for why they all look alike. I also heard UE3 does this trick that it adds a second 'grain' texture to whatever object when it's really close to simulate minute details (not talking about normal or bump mapping here) which may be yet a reason for why they look similar (though I only heard about this technique in passing once, I believe Halo 1 did as well from what I've seen, probably a well known technical term for this technique).

FFVII on KZ2 engine please. Dark and gritty? Fits the bill just right. At least for some sections of the game. Like Midgar and under Junon. The KZ2 engine is probably really good at bright and vivid scenes too.

kevm3

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38548.html
'
Just imagine a Fallout-esque rpg using this engine.

Or, just shift the color palette for more brighter colors. Imagine the wide city-scapes you can create with that. Sony needs to share this engine with internal studios.

Now, as amazing as Killzone looks, Sony Santa Monica has typically been the graphical powerhouse at Sony. I cannot wait to see what they do with GOW 3 graphically.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Zedsdeadbaby said:
FFVII on KZ2 engine please. Dark and gritty? Fits the bill just right. At least for some sections of the game. Like Midgar and under Junon. The KZ2 engine is probably really good at bright and vivid scenes too.

KZ2-engine is good at rendering bright and vivid screens. In fact, it's rendering them in KZ2, the engine just adds a desaturation-filter and some other filters over the rendered image to get the look and feel the designers are aiming for.

kevm3

Just looking at the video I posted above has me salivating. The thing with RPGS is that they should be able to stuff even more detail into a scene since you don't have to take into account all of that action from a FPS. What would be really interesting is dungeons with destructible environments. For example, you could knock down a weak column and the roof above would collapse and crush an enemy below.

Sibylus

Banned
Wollan said:
A lot of UE3 games take use of a stock texture library which is probably the main reason for why they all look alike. I also heard UE3 does this trick that it adds a second 'grain' texture to whatever object when it's really close to simulate minute details (not talking about normal or bump mapping here) which may be yet a reason for why they look similar (though I only heard about this technique in passing once, I believe Halo 1 did as well from what I've seen, probably a well known technical term for this technique).
It's called detail mapping in Halo, IIRC. Basically it involves a monochromatic texture being applied over top of a diffuse texture (can be set in a shader tag).

2celvyh.jpg

You can see support for three detail maps under diffuse properties (Primary, Secondary, Micro).

Kyoufu

kevm3 said:
Now, as amazing as Killzone looks, Sony Santa Monica has typically been the graphical powerhouse at Sony. I cannot wait to see what they do with GOW 3 graphically.

But Killzone 2's budget is so big. I doubt GoW3 will impress like this has.

Kyoufu said:
But Killzone 2's budget is so big. I doubt GoW3 will impress like this has.
If the previous games were anything to go by, God of War III will be more vivid, more elaborate, and more eye-popping in scale, but it will screen-tear like a sonuvabitch, which will make it seem less polished and solid.

mr_nothin

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Sniper overpowered confirmed. It's KZ2's AWP with faster reloading and apparently easy noscope.
There's nothing wrong with the AWP (dont diss awping in css)

The sniper rifle bits remind me alot of css though!
:D :D :D

Looks awesome

Edit:
They REALLY need to fix that delayed death animation though...

Tom Penny

mr_nothin said:
There's nothing wrong with the AWP (dont diss awping in css)

The sniper rifle bits remind me alot of css though!
:D :D :D

Looks awesome

Shit is garbage. The awp you can only shoot one and then have to wait for the scope unless of course you quickscope like any good player but it takes a second or two. This is more like autosniper with AWP power. I already know what the maps are going to turn into and which is not a good thing. On top of that you get some type of tag ability.

Madman

Liabe Brave said:
If the previous games were anything to go by, God of War III will be more vivid, more elaborate, and more eye-popping in scale, but it will screen-tear like a sonuvabitch, which will make it seem less polished and solid.
If the previous games are anything to go by, GoW will run at 60 fps with occasional tearing while KZ2 will be dropping the framerate at 30 fps.

Overall, I expect GoW3 to be better looking then KZ2. But this is all OT.

Top Bottom