• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

Mahadev

Dante said:
29e1yqs.jpg

This scene made my jaw drop.

Looks like artwork.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol Ill start gifing like crazy as soon as I can.
F5 F5 F5

Nooreo

Very impressive I especially liked the quality of the voice chat
However that whole battle was scripted :(

"I NEED MEDIC! "

"I got you"

"THX BUDDY"

:lol :lol :lol

Dever

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
For New Page:

http://i34.tinypic.com/v7uwbs.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/29e1yqs.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/28wf2c5.jpg[/IMG

[URL="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hhy9_killzone-2-online-multiplayer-trail"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6hhy9_killzone-2-online-multiplayer-trail[/URL][/QUOTE]

...oh, it's the brown level now.

Just kidding! Trailer looks awesome.

gantz85

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
And here we go....

7ty0.gif

The physics work they put in for sparkles and ambers is awesome detail. I remember watching one of the gameplay vids where the player was traversing through something like a trough/bunker-like area and the rain of dust/sparkle coming down AND sliding down the surface following its incline was very, very impressive. For some reason.

bosx2

Banned
ok, I just came home from games convention and here is my experience with killzone 2
The sony booth was cool and and had really nice killzone wallpapers like this one:

ok I went sthraight to the free controller and restarted the level, loading times were pretty bad, but I did not see any other loadings during the whole level ( had the feeling it streamed the whole level instead of preloading everything). Ok first time I saw killzone realtime playing, I was a bit shocked, it looked greyish and really weak black levels . But the other monitors where better, so it could have been the monitor or settings my monitor had.
Ok here I started: I tested every button and bam, it played really smooth. The animations were fantastic and I tried the cover with the handgun, WOAH, very nice blur effect when you cover and aim and zoom, it looked sooo CGI quality! loved it, I shot a few guys here and there and noticed how fluid the animation were and how the different hitboxes reacted to the guy. It looked so awesome when I pumped a bullet in the arm of the guy, he moved back of the impact, another shot in the right arm, another step backwards and bam bam bam.. hope you understand. Once he felt down, the blood was not prerendered! It had the feeling of some physic based blood, LOVED IT!
After some intense fights, which were tougher than I thought it would be, I tried to knock down a few guys with the melee attack. Man that looks awesome! when you hit someone, its a mix out of blur, super crisp images and super fluid animations. impressed me and had the most fun...
I went to the outside of the level and tons of explosions and lighting effects. Liked how crisp the textures and models look from the distance. You can notice tiny details from far away (on the tank for example).
I´m tired right now, so I stop here, but overall I am happy and killzone meets my expectations.

Like:
- smooth framerate
- fantastic animations
- incredible good usage of different blurs, makes it looks like cgi/movie
- cover system works very good
- very detailed player/vehicle/weapon models
- lighting engine is out of this world

Disliked:
- feels scripted
- levels too static
- some textures are very low qualy

here 2 shots I made (the TV is really crappy or atleast the birghtness/contrast settings):

the weapon on that player model was extremely detailed and look fantastic! AWESOME

No45

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906862p1.html?RSSwhen2008-09-01_042200&RSSid=906862

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it details the classes (Sounds very TF2).

the classes in Killzone 2 aren't as rigid as those in other games, so if you choose to play as a Scout you're not necessarily limited to just those skills. Instead you're free to mix and match to some extent, taking a class's primary ability and mixing it with another's secondary. So, for example, if you choose to be a Scout but take the engineer's secondary skill it's possible to slowly sneak over to the enemy base without being seen, thanks to the cloak suit, and then place a sentry gun that makes mincemeat of the bad guys as soon as they appear.

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's the same picture, just that the right one is painted over. Concept most likely.

ofcourse, it looks out of place in that picture (new part looks like a photo) . but in the other screens it looks fine (also new model)

Norml

Here is what it says-

Whereas the AI team got to work on the brains, the visual team focused mostly on the aesthetics of the Assault Trooper. Roy: "Besides a huge overhaul on the animation code, which makes the Assault Trooper move more fluently and realistic than before, we took a good look at the facemask and decided we could spice it up by adding details that would give it a sharper, more aggressive look. It proved quite a challenge, as we obviously couldn't just go out and create a whole new bad-ass looking character from scratch, but the added detail on the facemask really made a big difference in the overall appearance of the character. It showed that the devil can literally be in the details!"

http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=The+Assault+Trooper&kz_news_page=0

Whereas the AI team got to work on the brains, the visual team focused mostly on the aesthetics of the Assault Trooper. Roy: "Besides a huge overhaul on the animation code, which makes the Assault Trooper move more fluently and realistic than before, we took a good look at the facemask and decided we could spice it up by adding details that would give it a sharper, more aggressive look. It proved quite a challenge, as we obviously couldn't just go out and create a whole new bad-ass looking character from scratch, but the added detail on the facemask really made a big difference in the overall appearance of the character. It showed that the devil can literally be in the details!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

^ For all those wishing that the enemies would move quicker/faster.

RiverBed

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
is this official? :puke

1zqsz93.jpg

some new screens at the site too.
no because the upper half of the image (with Helghast) is taken from the PSP or PS2 game cover or art- unless they are re-using it.

Hypothetical here, just for discussion's sake:

If Guerrilla Games has a hit on their hands with KZ2, what do you want to see them work on next?

Killzone 3 is the obvious choice, but would you like to see them try something different?

IMO, I guess I'd like to see them work on KZ3, simply because these past few years have probably been a huge investment in terms of the tech, animation, etc. You'd hate to have some of that go to waste on a totally different game. KZ3 should release much sooner as a consequence of getting most of the issues ironed out and polished with KZ2, so you could be looking at a 2010/2011 release date.

No45

Killzone 3, with an equal graphical leap from 2 to 3 that we've seen from 1 to 2. And don't rush them, three years into the life of the PS4 should be just fine.

Killzone: Liberation 2 in the meantime would be great. :D

Looking back through their catalogue there's not much to go on really.

JimiNutz

Banned
No45 said:
Killzone 3, with an equal graphical leap from 2 to 3 that we've seen from 1 to 2. And don't rush them, three years into the life of the PS4 should be just fine.

Killzone: Liberation 2 in the meantime would be great. :D

Looking back through their catalogue there's not much to go on really.

Yeah I'd like to see them roll out a couple of decent shooters first before trying their hands at anything else.
I hope the engine that Killzone2 runs on is used by other Sony devs though.

ypo

I like the round goggles better. It looks more "empty" and "soulless." The added details are great big improvement on the tube.

Kittonwy

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Hypothetical here, just for discussion's sake:

If Guerrilla Games has a hit on their hands with KZ2, what do you want to see them work on next?

Killzone 3 is the obvious choice, but would you like to see them try something different?

IMO, I guess I'd like to see them work on KZ3, simply because these past few years have probably been a huge investment in terms of the tech, animation, etc. You'd hate to have some of that go to waste on a totally different game. KZ3 should release much sooner as a consequence of getting most of the issues ironed out and polished with KZ2, so you could be looking at a 2010/2011 release date.

Killzone 3 finish teh fight.
Indifferent2.gif

thuway

Norml said:

I really like the new mask, it would be nice to see more of the suit taking a similar approach. The charcoal tone is meh, but the blacker contrast makes it pop. Another thing I'd like to see is the eyes change color. If you could shoot off the oxygen mask and have gas shoot up into the air that would make my head explode.

Killzone 2, as long as the textures improve (and they nail the gameplay), will be my GOTFOREVER.

thuway said:
I really like the new mask, it would be nice to see more of the suit taking a similar approach. The charcoal tone is meh, but the blacker contrast makes it pop. Another thing I'd like to see is the eyes change color. If you could shoot off the oxygen mask and have gas shoot up into the air that would make my head explode.

Killzone 2, as long as the textures improve (and they nail the gameplay), will be my GOTFOREVER.
@ the bold

Like Resistance?

JimiNutz

Banned
thuway said:
If you could shoot off the oxygen mask and have gas shoot up into the air that would make my head explode.

You know what would be better?
If you could shoot of the mask thus causing the Helghast's head to explode :D

Top Bottom