• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

Tormentoso said:
In you case i think you were complaining about the same thing to much,it was the AI if i am not mistaken.

Yea Killzone 2 is the only game that if a thread is made about it that has nothing to do with the AI or Colors or whatever it always gets brought up.Like this thread is about it's online portion and if you look back you will see what happened in this thread. I've seen other threads about this game turn out the same way and it just gets tiresome.

zoukka

Now I'm trolling? You guys have made these threads like fortresses where intruders get molten lead poured on them and shit. Did I fucking ever say the guy is a good guy? Hmm... let's see. No.

Did I already state that the lack of colour FITS the fucking game? Let's see... um yes. That doesn't mean I troll if I say that a little colour here and there would do the game good. Apparently Guerilla am gods and there's nothing to improve here... well you better get used to the bitching because it's perfectly justified.

I had the excact same complaints about the original Killzone back in the days. Lack of colour, poor AI and simple level-design. Future will show if they learned anything from there.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
zoukka said:
Now I'm trolling? You guys have made these threads like fortresses where intruders get molten lead poured on them and shit. Did I fucking ever say the guy is a good guy? Hmm... let's see. No.

Did I already state that the lack of colour FITS the fucking game? Let's see... um yes. That doesn't mean I troll if I say that a little colour here and there would do the game good. Apparently Guerilla am gods and there's nothing to improve here... well you better get used to the bitching because it's perfectly justified.

I had the excact same complaints about the original Killzone back in the days. Lack of colour, poor AI and simple level-design. Future will show if they learned anything from there.

I told you man just leave it alone. The hand full of people that are constantly in here ar ethe definition of fanboy. Like I said I got your post... you weren't even complaining. The thing is you had a hint of negativity so people go nuts.

I want his game to be great, and right now it's seriously one of my most anticipated games ever, right behind or tied with LBP, but from all these negative previews I'm getting nervous. Reason being? I'm not a blind fanboy and I realize there is no anti-sony anti-killzone conspiracy. Hopefully any issues are ironed out.

And no, by this I don't mean color. I mean from the preview it says the controls aren't tight or smooth at all, and COD4 amongst other games blows it away. It's not the first preview to say that... so maybe you should stop discrediting EVERYTHING anyone says about the game.

travisbickle said:
But you're not listening to what people are saying.

The picture you've posted of "real life" battle, take out the sky and what have you got, GREEN, different shades of green, but still just fucking green; green environment (trees, plants, grass, vegetation) green uniforms (hats, shirts, trousers, boots) you've got a green fuckin' stretcher.

Now look at the picture of Killzone you criticize for not being "real life", it's grey like your pic is green but you can distinguish everything by the subtle differences in shading, that's REALISM, the soldiers get given clothing and equipment that fits best with the environment, but due to the attetion to detail in killzone every part of his uniform looks different, they're not painting the guy grey. Same with the environment it's grey because it's some industrial waste land, but they don't paint everything the same grey, it's all highly detailed and easily definable. Uncharted didn't look good because it was green, it looked good because it was highly detailed and used shades of colour to create a very realistic World.

I've just seen you're using the back-handed compliments from the review as arguements that the writer's a good guy. Yep, that's good trolling tactics.

Spot on man.

In fact i wonder how any one can even say that about Killzone2,how is not been real to life,and i just have to wonder how real to life is in this moment in time a battle in another planet,is a game not real life to begin with,i say it now and say it again people are trying to find the smallest thing to complain about Killzone2 because the game has great potential.

Forsete

Gold Member
msdstc said:
I'll send you a million dollars if you can point out where I said that in my post. I like the graphics/color pallete, and everything so keep your fanboy bullshit to yourself.

You guys are just putting up damage control and once again I hate to say it, but it's definitely something to be at least a little nervous about. Yeah there are plenty of other levels and lets hope that those are amazing, which is what I really want for this game.

I thought you were talking about colours here. If not, sorry.

zoukka said:

You questioned the realism the game is obviously going for, saying it fails because in real life there is colour, you made the rod for your back, you can't change your arguement.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tormentoso said:
Spot on man.

In fact i wonder how any one can even say that about Killzone2,how is not been real to life,and i just have to wonder how real to life is in this moment in time a battle in another planet,is a game not real life to begin with,i say it now and say it again people are trying to find the smallest thing to complain about Killzone2 because the game has great potential.

He didn't say he wants KZ to look like that picture. What he said is, not all "war torn" areas are grey, so he posted a picture to prove it.

Like I said I love the color pallete and I actually think it's really colorful, factoring in the explosions and lens flare, but if it were anymore colorful it would take away from the grittiness of it all. You guys just need to stop shitting all over anything negative about the game. You're setting yourselves up for disappointment if you can't accept there may be some flaws. I'm just saying I'm getting nervous, because there are quite a few negative previews and that pretty much outweighs the negative. It reminds me of LAIR, back when the whole lot of you would call BS on those previews.

Hell Loudninja called for me to get banned when I posted the EGM reviews of LAIR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Forsete said:
I thought you were talking about colours here. If not, sorry.

That's because you didn't even bother to read my post, like half the other people in this thread. I love the color pallete, I have since day one. I love anything about the visuals, but the colors aren't all the guy said was negative in the preview. Besides he still said it was very impressive for what it was. Either way the part of the preview that worries me is the fact that he says the controls are pretty lousy, not just compared to COD4 either. This is one of the many previews that have stated that. I also believe Snoopers impressions said the same.

gantz85

Banned
For the color arguments -- why don't we just wait for new levels to get shown?

They've promised that there are other levels showing off the natural Helghan beauty. I don't see the problem here except for posters or editors opportunistically trolling Killzone 2's single level lack of color AS AN INDICATION OF THE ENTIRE PRODUCT. It's pretty lame.

zoukka

i say it now and say it again people are trying to find the smallest thing to complain about Killzone2 because the game has great potential.

Ah you got me. I give up. I just couldn't sleep at nights knowing people had hopes for upcoming PS3-exclusives. They should award you with a medal.

I now accept my "Owned by Killzone" tag gladly.

Carry on.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tormentoso said:
Spot on man.

OMG, this is what I'm talking about. You think there is this vast anti-ps3 anti-killzone conspiracy. "this game looks so good! I can't find anything to complain about with it" oh bullshit get real here. I want this game to be great, but there are so many negative previews that I'm starting to worry. How is saying "the controls pale in comparison not only to COD4, but many other FPS" nitpicking? This is not the first preview to say this. edit- This is not nitpicking on a small obscure feature like color, controls are probably the biggest factor in making a good game.

Look I'm not saying they can't fix it, but maybe you should start taking these previews for what they are, legitimate. These people aren't trying to hate on the game intentionally. I for one as a KZ fan am getting a bit nervous, and I honestly see this game getting mediocre reviews, which matters for the game to sell well so we can get the full potential out of KZ3, and sony will be willing to give them that budget to work with again.

Forsete

Gold Member
msdstc said:
That's because you didn't even bother to read my post, like half the other people in this thread.

You are correct, I bailed out of this thread long ago because it turned to shit. I just came in to see what new stuff you guys had found wrong with the game. :)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Forsete said:
You are correct, I bailed out of this thread long ago because it turned to shit. I just came in to see what new stuff you guys had found wrong with the game. :)

I've found nothing wrong with the game :-/, this bothers the crap out of me. Why do you think of me as a troll, when I've clearly defended this game since launch? I'll fish up some E3 07 posts if you don't believe me. The fact is I stated concern about AI, and you guys thought I fished for that?

gantz85

Banned
msdstc said:
OMG, this is what I'm talking about. You think there is this vast anti-ps3 anti-killzone conspiracy. "this game looks so good! I can't find anything to complain about with it" oh bullshit get real here. I want this game to be great, but there are so many negative previews that I'm starting to worry. How is saying "the controls pale in comparison not only to COD4, but many other FPS" nitpicking? This is not the first preview to say this. edit- This is not nitpicking on a small obscure feature like color, controls are probably the biggest factor in making a good game.

Look I'm not saying they can't fix it, but maybe you should start taking these previews for what they are, legitimate. These people aren't trying to hate on the game intentionally. I for one as a KZ fan am getting a bit nervous, and I honestly see this game getting mediocre reviews, which matters for the game to sell well so we can get the full potential out of KZ3, and sony will be willing to give them that budget to work with again.

You know what's getting real? Knowing that KZ2 has at least about 4 more months of development time. Knowing that we've only seen one level of KZ2.

You know what's not real?

Saying that it's going to get mediocre reviews.
Talking about Killzone 3.

Blah blah blah. Just shut up.

Negaiido

gantz85 said:
You know what's getting real? Knowing that KZ2 has at least about 4 more months of development time. Knowing that we've only seen one level of KZ2.

Sure I want to see every level there is in the game.
Spoil me of the whole game, wait I dont want to play it anymore.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
McLovin said:
Awww.. no new pics?
-leaves-

Yeah probably no REAL new pics of like a new build or something, since I'm assuming Leipzeg will be the E3 build, however, new Gifs of online play and some hands on of online:D

Dever

Banned
gantz85 said:

We've seen two levels, not one.

msdstc said:
OMG, this is what I'm talking about. You think there is this vast anti-ps3 anti-killzone conspiracy. "this game looks so good! I can't find anything to complain about with it" oh bullshit get real here. I want this game to be great, but there are so many negative previews that I'm starting to worry.

You honestly, after reading all these previews, don't think there's some sort of slant? I don't think it's huge. There's still a little slant though. I don't think it's console bias or anything. Just that this game has a lot riding on it. There's a lot of hype behind it. All this seems to be opening the critical eye further than normal.

I mean really ... I know being concerned about the AI is valid for such a game, and I don't think you are trolling, but this game catches a lot of flack that other games don't or didn't get. Some of the things KZ2 has been criticized for are praised in other games, ala set peices COD4 style.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Fenderputty said:
You honestly, after reading all these previews, don't think there's some sort of slant? I don't think it's huge. There's still a little slant though. I don't think it's console bias or anything. Just that this game has a lot riding on it. There's a lot of hype behind it. All this seems to be opening the critical eye further than normal.

I mean really ... I know being concerned about the AI is valid for such a game, and I don't think you are trolling, but this game catches a lot of flack that other games don't or didn't get. Some of the things KZ2 has been criticized for are praised in other games, ala set peices COD4 style.

The thing is I KNOW there is Bias... but not everyone hates the ps3 like you guys seem to think. When even snoopers came in here and said the controls weren't that tight, I shrugged it off and still am, because there is still 4 months left, which seriously isn't much time at all, but w/e. Either way when 50% of reviews or close to are negative, and most of them saying there is a lack of innovation, you need to open your eyes. Seriously realize that not everyone hates this game. Take that for what it is, maybe you'll react like everyone else in this thread, or maybe you'll have some common sense about you.

edit- The best way I can put it is to think of LAIR. It's the same situation. We would get some really great previews including IGN who said something along the lines of "we may have a AAA title here", but then the other half were VERY shitty... whenever any negative previews came out, the usual suspects would call bias. how did that turn out?

Once again for the record I'm a huge KZ2 fan, check out my post history or the original reveal thread, I stayed up till 5 discussing the trailer and how amazing it was. I go on about this game forever, it's my most anticipated game. I'm getting nervous though with all the negative previews. Maybe you guys aren't and you know what that's fine. I just don't want this to be a huge dissapointment.

Killzone 2 has to be the most trolled game in existence. It's bad enough that anyone without an Xbox puts down Halo as the worst thing ever without even playing it, but Killzone 2 isn't even out yet and 99% of the ridiculous swings aimed at it isn't justifiable at all. You want to tell how people have a grudge against the PS3? Just ask them what they think of Killzone 2.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Killzone 2 has to be the most trolled game in existence. It's bad enough that anyone without an Xbox puts down Halo as the worst thing ever without even playing it, but Killzone 2 isn't even out yet and 99% of the ridiculous swings aimed at it isn't justifiable at all. You want to tell how people have a grudge against the PS3? Just ask them what they think of Killzone 2.

Once again not trying to be an ass, but show me something out of this thread so far that really proves your point. I have yet to read anything substantial besides trolls like whatshisname (deepblue I think? Elyrionx?).

andycapps

msdstc said:
The thing is I KNOW there is Bias... but not everyone hates the ps3 like you guys seem to think. When even snoopers came in here and said the controls weren't that tight, I shrugged it off and still am, because there is still 4 months left, which seriously isn't much time at all, but w/e. Either way when 50% of reviews or close to are negative, and most of them saying there is a lack of innovation, you need to open your eyes. Seriously realize that not everyone hates this game. Take that for what it is, maybe you'll react like everyone else in this thread, or maybe you'll have some common sense about you.

I totally understand what you're saying and I can understand the scepticism, particularly after the debacle that is Lair. I guess I've got cautious optimism due to how well Killzone: Liberation turned out. It showed that they knew how to make a well crafted game (one of the best on the PSP IMO) that had great graphics, gameplay, and AI. That game was brutally hard in fact (and that is what she said.. :lol ). Anyway, I think that Guerrilla simply wasn't ready for what the media was expecting of it when Killzone 1 was released and that they hit their stride with Killzone: Liberation.

I'm hoping that they'll pull together good AI, set-pieces, gameplay etc. in Killzone 2. With the amount of staff they have working on this and with the sheer amount of tech and money behind it (combined with a top AI expert that they've contracted in to work on AI) I am hoping they can get the AI part together. The rest of it I'm hoping they'll perfect in this polishing phase. But yeah, I can definitely understand some scepticism regarding this, but I am hopeful that they can get it together. The beta will be the way of telling, and dear God, please help me to get in that when it happens.

zoukka said:
Ah you got me. I give up. I just couldn't sleep at nights knowing people had hopes for upcoming PS3-exclusives. They should award you with a medal.

I now accept my "Owned by Killzone" tag gladly.

Carry on.

Man my comment wasn't even direct at you.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tormentoso said:
Man my comment wasn't even direct at you.

The point is though you reprsent all the fanboys in this thread when you say something as ridiculous (stupid is a better word, but trying not to be mean) as that. Seriously man, "this game is SO GOOD... I HAVE to think of something bad to say about it though!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" seriously man that's ridiculous. You don't honestly think that do you?

andycapps said:
I totally understand what you're saying and I can understand the scepticism, particularly after the debacle that is Lair. I guess I've got cautious optimism due to how well Killzone: Liberation turned out. It showed that they knew how to make a well crafted game (one of the best on the PSP IMO) that had great graphics, gameplay, and AI. That game was brutally hard in fact (and that is what she said.. :lol ). Anyway, I think that Guerrilla simply wasn't ready for what the media was expecting of it when Killzone 1 was released and that they hit their stride with Killzone: Liberation.

I'm hoping that they'll pull together good AI, set-pieces, gameplay etc. in Killzone 2. With the amount of staff they have working on this and with the sheer amount of tech and money behind it (combined with a top AI expert that they've contracted in to work on AI) I am hoping they can get the AI part together. The rest of it I'm hoping they'll perfect in this polishing phase. But yeah, I can definitely understand some scepticism regarding this, but I am hopeful that they can get it together. The beta will be the way of telling, and dear God, please help me to get in that when it happens.

Trust me I'm approaching with caution, but I'm still gunna play it even if it is shit, if only for the beauty. Killzone L is probably the best PSP, just so much fun, and yeah the DLC ridiculously hard. I understand where you are coming from trust me. But to completely discredit the overwhelming amount of bad previews is just silly. Snoopers himself said the controls were no good, as did this preview and several others. Here's hoping they polish this baby up nice, but 4 months is crunch time, especially considering it goes gold at least a month before release.

edit- I forgot to mention this game is still sitting at the top of my list, though I'm cautious about my hype levels getting out of control out of disappointment. I'm saying with all these negative previews I'm prepared if disappointment happens. If not I'll be ecstatic!

msdstc said:

Fristly, I already stated that the games criticism doesn't stem from console bias. I think it stems from the hype and importance of the game. I think it stems from E305. I think it stems from KZ1. I also said that I didn't think you were trolling simply because you were bringing up concerns. If there are issues with the game that need to be addressed, then I hope they address them. AI is a good example because it's something that we can see and gauge to some extent. Same with the controls. I really don't think these things are going to be a problem when all is said an done though and already think the AI looks better than critics give credit.

Innovation on the other hand is a rather lame criticism. Plenty of games don't innovate and get praise. I don't think I need to bring these games up, they've been brought up many many times. Not to mention KZ2 brings a FPS cover system to its single player and has a rather robust sounding badge system in it's MP.

If I'm capable of realizing that the game can find areas to improve upon, then you should be able to recognize that there is a lot of undeserved criticism including color and innovation and set pieces and .....

msdstc said:
Once again not trying to be an ass, but show me something out of this thread so far that really proves your point. I have yet to read anything substantial besides trolls like whatshisname (deepblue I think? Elyrionx?).

It's not directly aimed at anybody in particular but you must be mad if you think there aren't people dismissing the game over silly and asinine reasons. This thread is full of such examples and I really shouldn't have to point you out to any of them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
McLovin said:
Well for what its worth... I think the ONLINE looks awesome.

The whole game looks awesome. I think the online is absolutely incredible, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the set pieces in single player. People take things wrong in this thread. I can't wait to get my hands on single and online. The badge system sounds awesome. Sounds like TFC as a more realistic shooter.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
It's not directly aimed at anybody in particular but you must be mad if you think there aren't people dismissing the game over silly and asinine reasons. This thread is full of such examples and I really shouldn't have to point you out to any of them.

No I'm not mad. I've been told I'm dismissing the game over silly reasons or "nit picking", which is from people not reading posts and jumping to conclusions. I agree the game is trolled sometimes, but every game has its fair share. I'd seriously like you to point something out. Not saying I disagree with you, I'd just like an example to prove to me one thing.

Are you one of those people who thinks I'm a troll

or do you realize when there is a legitimate troll.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
McLovin said:
Wasn't the AI thing already cleared up?

Yeah it's proving itself to be very nice, looks a lot like uncharted's at this point, and it still has time left. If you haven't played uncharted the AI was brutal. They are agressive and flank as often as possible.

The whole ordeal with that was I would shit on all the previews(much like people in here) saying that the AI is toned down they can't judge from that. Somebody came in here posting conflicting reports that it was not toned down. Snoopers impressions/video comes in and it looks like shit, and he says it played shitty. I get nervous, because 5 months is not enough time to overhaul a system, I express concern and am imediately called a troll... they show a new video without the AI toned down and it looks great and up to speed. I'm branded for life as a troll still.

tha_con

Banned
msdstc said:
Yeah it's proving itself to be very nice, looks a lot like uncharted's at this point, and it still has time left. If you haven't played uncharted the AI was brutal. They are agressive and flank as often as possible.

The whole ordeal with that was I would shit on all the previews(much like people in here) saying that the AI is toned down they can't judge from that. Somebody came in here posting conflicting reports that it was not toned down. Snoopers impressions/video comes in and it looks like shit, and he says it played shitty. I get nervous, because 5 months is not enough time to overhaul a system, I express concern and am imediately called a troll... they show a new video without the AI toned down and it looks great and up to speed. I'm branded for life as a troll still.

I think it had more to do with you judging a game at a press event, when it was still in development, which has proven to be ridiculous time and time again with many a great game.

Just saying.

andycapps

msdstc said:
The whole game looks awesome. I think the online is absolutely incredible, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the set pieces in single player. People take things wrong in this thread. I can't wait to get my hands on single and online. The badge system sounds awesome. Sounds like TFC as a more realistic shooter.

No I'm not mad. I've been told I'm dismissing the game over silly reasons or "nit picking", which is from people not reading posts and jumping to conclusions. I agree the game is trolled sometimes, but every game has its fair share. I'd seriously like you to point something out. Not saying I disagree with you, I'd just like an example to prove to me one thing.

Are you one of those people who thinks I'm a troll

or do you realize when there is a legitimate troll.

I don't think you're a troll, or the other guy that's being attacked right now. Trolls to me are those that come in here (you usually see one every page or so) that pop in to mention some flamebait and then you never see them post again. They just rattle off some generic criticism of any modern shooter and you can tell they're not interested, just throwing their two cents in to stir people up.

Anyway, you're not a troll, just a concerned gamer. I'd like to see myself as the same, althought maybe a little more hopeful than you are that they can work out the issues in the next six months (pretty sure it's coming out in February of 2009). I know gold should be a month or so before release, but they still have a good 4, maybe close to 5 months to polish the heck out of it, which is what they stated their goals are at this point. They said it's pretty much done, just polish, polish, polish.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
tha_con said:
I think it had more to do with you judging a game at a press event, when it was still in development, which has proven to be ridiculous time and time again with many a great game.

Just saying.

I don't think it had to do with that, because if you read my posts you'd understand, but once again let's jump to conclusions.

What I said was. I hope it's toned down, because it doesn't look good. I literally said this next "if it's not toned down they still have time to get it fixed up, but they gotta work fast". I realized they had time left, but people overlooked that. Just saying though 5 months is not enough time to overhaul an AI system, while working out all the other bugs, which caused me some concern. Also what REALLY caused me concern was when in a stage demo the developer said the main AI system was in place and he was talking about how amazing it was. From what I saw it looked like shit so i got nervous.

antiloop

Forsete said:
msdstc is getting a tummy ache from lack of colours now? Seriously? Wow.

I checked the beginning of this thread. He said it has the best art ever.

Anyway I still don't see all the problems some of you are seeing. Nothing that's worth getting worked up about anyway. The game won't be perfect just like any other game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
antiloop said:
I checked the beginning of this thread. He said it has the best art ever.

Anyway I still don't see all the problems some of you are seeing. Nothing that's worth getting worked up about anyway. The game won't be perfect just like any other game.

Thanks man:D. I said a lot more in defense of the game too. Like how I strongly believe 8 maps is more than enough and such. Once again I'm really hyped for this game, the negative impressions are making me a bit nervous though.

methane47

zoukka said:

Did you actaully play the original Killzone? because that game had a bunch of environments... with plenty of color

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
methane47 said:
Did you actaully play the original Killzone? because that game had a bunch of environments... with plenty of color

Yeah I love the colors in the park. The game itself was pretty lousy though.

andycapps

msdstc said:
Yeah I love the colors in the park. The game itself was pretty lousy though.

Pretty mediocre, but it had potential. I think if it was on a more powerful console that it would have been much better. A lot of the things that it was criticized for could have been better if it were put out on the Xbox or Gamecube. The AI, framerate, and repetive voices were all caused by lack of power on the PS2. But yeah, mediocre game, could have been a lot better if it wasn't hamstrung by the PS2's power.

Yeah, the park was probably my favorite part. There were some really cool parts in that game, maybe I need to replay it again.... :D

lupinko

methane47 said:

Sounds like that guy didn't actually play the original Killzone.

Darkpen

Banned
Killzone 1 could've been better, and its general campaign experience was decent, but it was buggy as hell, and there were some really fucked up chokepoints.

Doubledex

Banned
Industrial-buildings-from-Trusteel-Fabrications-202049.jpg

pr016.jpg

38377.jpg

38380.jpg

Look at this shit! Everything is grey, blue, black.... colourless! WTF!
THAT'S NOT REALISTIC! KILLZONE 2 WILL SUCK! TOTALLY LIFELESS!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
New? Interview

http://www.dasgamer.com/guerilla-games-eric-boltjes-talks-up-killzone-2-multiplayer-stats/

Das Gamer: How much customization will you include for online gamers?
Eric Boltjes: What we really tried to do is make it customizable for the player, so we gave the player as many options as possible. He can make his own custom experience. So when he creates games, he gets to decide which maps he wants to play and which missions he wants to play. But it goes really deep, so you can even decide different things like how fast can you revive somebody and how many flags do I have to capture. Players have a lot of options to create their own custom games, basically.

Can you talk about the online maps?
Eric Boltjes: We have eight different maps of completely different themes. We have indoor maps. We have outdoor maps. But all of the maps are skilled, so some maps are for up to 12 players and some maps are for 24. Other maps are for 32 players, so there’s a lot of variation in different environments and the different levels we have for multiplayer

Will vehicles play any role in the online game?
Eric Boltjes: There are no vehicles in online multiplayer; however, there are vehicles in single player. We’re also planning downloadable content down the line so vehicles could become part of that.

How does that work? (Badge System)
Eric Boltjes: Each of these badges basically has two special abilities tailored towards that play style. When you take two badges together–for instance an engineer and a medic–you basically get one of each of the two abilities, and when put together you get to define your own play style. So you can really play the way you like it. That’s quite a unique feature for multiplayer online.

How do you handle online gameplay that’s balanced between seasoned veterans and newbies to the space?
Eric Boltjes: What we tried to do is make sure that every player, whether newbie or hardcore, has an easy way into the game. And then we have this whole progression system, where you are unlocking features as you play. So we really made sure that the more advanced features are slowly introduced to them as you play, while still trying to maintain what advanced users want - the really in-depth features.

How do the in-depth features work?
Eric Boltjes: Basically, Killzone online multiplayer has 12 different ranks, each unlocking new features. There are also 46 different ribbons and medals that you get for performing special features, like shooting somebody in the head five times, reviving a team member 10 times, etc. You get medals and ribbons for that and that unlocks new features, as well. What this does is the player, as he plays and progresses, learns more about the game and unlocks everything. It keeps him interested while slowly introducing him to the game.

What’s the online experience from the get-go?
Eric Boltjes: When you try to join the game in Killzone online, you have two options: Quick Join and Advanced Join. Quick Join basically makes sure that it checks your profile; it checks your rank, and we make sure you get thrown into a game with only people of similar rank. We make absolutely sure that if you’re a newbie, you don’t get thrown into a game with generals and get your ass kicked all the time. But we also have Advanced Join, which gives the player a lot of options to find the game that he wants to play. There may be a specific map that he wants to play, or a specific mission mode, anything like that. He has the option to filter that out. You can either go for the safe route, or try to find a game you want to specifically want to play yourself.

Top Bottom