• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
lupinko said:
Quiet you, you already did with your beta.

Well at least I think you were one of the people with the beta here.
Yes lucky enough to play the beta.

While the rest had to suffer and read all the details instead of witnessing it.

Guled

roMonster said:
Does anyone know if the leaked ERSB spoilers are real?

I heard about them but didn't do any research because I don't want to get spoiled.

If they are real--that's almost two months of stepping on eggshells.
there is nothing really spoilerly, its just what your mission is. Is it a spoiler to know that Snake has to destroy a metal gear in MGS1? Plus they show the thing in the trailer, how is it really considered a spoiler?

roMonster

Guled said:
there is nothing really spoilerly, its just what your mission is. Is it a spoiler to know that Snake has to destroy a metal gear in MGS1? Plus they show the thing in the trailer, how is it really considered a spoiler?

Phew, that's a relief.

KZObsessed

lupinko said:
Quiet you, you already did with your beta.

Well at least I think you were one of the people with the beta here.

I RULED THE BETA!

*snipes lupinko*

ISA BITCHES BE DROPPIN LIKE FLIES IN MA WAKE!!!

sgisrl.gif

EazyB

Banned
Does it only take a single sniper snot to take someone down or does it have to be a headshot. I was looking at some beta videos and it seem overpowered, then again they were "I'm awesome" montages so there may have been a lot more fail in between each clipped kill.

Guled

EazyB said:
Does it only take a single sniper snot to take someone down or does it have to be a headshot. I was looking at some beta videos and it seem overpowered, then again they were "I'm awesome" montages so there may have been a lot more fail in between each clipped kill.
I think it was one shot above the waist, to get to the point where you could use the sniper rifle you have to play a lot and be really good so it won't be that common. Plus you have to balance the controller to aim

-Winnie-

Arghh... I was at EB Games (Aus) today and they had dummy boxes for KZ2, but those damn PSN circles are back on the boxart. D,:
God, I hate those things with a passion.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I've been trying really hard to avoid the hype train but jeesh, this game keeps looking better and better.

I'll have to check in tomorrow for demos in my area [South FL].

BlacKMaRK

Banned
i picked up my pre-order demo card earlier today.

i went to one gamestop and they didnt know what the fuck i was talking about even tho they had a KZ2 poster right behind them that stated there was a pre-order bonus!!!

so i left with a big smile on my face because they made me laugh. i called up another gamestop, they had it. i was in and out in under 5 mins with my pre-order card:D

I guess we're going to get an official announcement on the KZ2 launch pretty soon?

Collector's Editions, Pre-order bonuses, etc...

A lot of these have already gone out, but the PS blog hasn't updated regarding it yet.

Monday perhaps?

Schrade

I just bought Killzone from Gamestop today. I made sure to get a good quality disc/case out of the used area. I missed Killzone 2 so much I just had to do something to fill the void. Man, the controls in this are somewhat similar but there's no weight and it has the "camera on a stick" feeling like every other FPS. Killzone 2 really revolutionizes FPS controls for consoles.. so awesome compared to the original.

Some other things I've noticed (in the first couple of checkpoints so far):

The audio is super compressed and non directional. All audio sounds like it's right next to you.

Everything has this hazy washed out look to it. I hope this gets better further on in the game.

The voice acting is hilariously bad as well as some of the script lines.

I'm having fun though. It's good to be seeing ISA and Helghasts again, even if they don't look as awesome as Killzone 2 ones.

I'm starting to contemplate trying to find out what format all the cut scenes are in and see if I can get a pristine collection of cutscenes. The ones on YouTube suck.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Schrade said:
I just bought Killzone from Gamestop today. I made sure to get a good quality disc/case out of the used area. I missed Killzone 2 so much I just had to do something to fill the void. Man, the controls in this are somewhat similar but there's no weight and it has the "camera on a stick" feeling like every other FPS. Killzone 2 really revolutionizes FPS controls for consoles.. so awesome compared to the original.

The audio is super compressed and non directional. All audio sounds like it's right next to you.

Everything has this hazy washed out look to it. I hope this gets better further on in the game.

I'm having fun though. It's good to be seeing ISA and Helghasts again, even if they don't look as awesome as Killzone 2 ones.

I'm starting to contemplate trying to find out what format all the cut scenes are in and see if I can get a pristine collection of cutscenes. The ones on YouTube suck.

That game is pretty much garbage. There is absolutely nothing that seperates it in terms of gameplay from the run of the mill FPS. I do like the story however. You're right about the voice acting which can be awful, but I love templar and hakkuh(sp?). I'm not a fan of rico though, he's just way over the top.

I agree with you on the sound, it sounds ridiculous, and the hazy look also adds to the games already choppiness.

ChryZ

Schrade said:

I almost finished my play through, 2 levels to go.

The assault rifles feel indeed pretty light when compared to KZ2, but you'll get more heavier gear later on.
KZ1 plays on Vekta and KZ2 on Helghan, Helghan got heavier gravity than Vekta :p

Try to set the audio to surround in the options, the default is stereo. BUT it's PS2 after all, so don't expect any wonders.

There is loads of variety in the environment with all kinds of fake HDR effects and scattered light stuff. The poor PS2 is quite often at its limit, but it's manageable since the gameplay is so slow and tactile.

The voice acting in some of the cut scenes gets better. Especially the later ones.

Some of the character designs are awesome. I really like Hakha and Rico.

I said it before and I say it again: the jump from KZ1 to KZ2 is a quantum leap. It feels like they skipped a console gen or something.

FFObsessed said:
I RULED THE BETA!

*snipes lupinko*

ISA BITCHES BE DROPPIN LIKE FLIES IN MA WAKE!!!

Foo your aim was so bad they called you Plaxico Burress. :p

I kid I kid....I do however miss my green smoke + spot-n-mark.....I need my green smoke back.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Pure comedy gold post from one of our friends at TeamXbox :lol

Schrade said:

well , just remember it's an 2004 game on PS2 , it look very good on PS3 tho ( way better than on PS2 ) , try use surround since the game use Dolby Pro Logic II , the later levels has better designs , better guns too .

and man , play death matches with some bots on the beach it's awesome .

My only local video game store (Tasmania lol, south of Australia) is an EB, and they are doing like a limited edition metal tin for pre-orders.

Side note, Sev looks like he could be Jake Gylenhaal's (sp) uncle or something haha.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kittonwy said:
I wish they would turn the servers back on. I miss it so, so much.
angry.gif
Please dont go to any NPD or X360 thread until KZ2 is released ! :lol

Schrade said:

Bolded: Depends on the level, you will definately see a decent bit of it though.

Underlined: Some of it is pretty bad (ends up being funny, though I don't think that was what they were going for :lol ).

Truant

So, I expect Sony to be releasing a 360 style controller in conjunction with KZ2?

Because I can't play shooters with that flimsy little thing.

Kittonwy

Banned
Truant said:
So, I expect Sony to be releasing a 360 style controller in conjunction with KZ2?

The dual-shock 3 already works perfectly with KZ2, the motion sensor works great with sniping by adding another layer of immersion.
Indifferent2.gif

jett

D-Member
Truant said:

:lol This is what KZ2 trolling has come to? Well too bad for you, I had zero problems when I played the KZ2 beta.

Zen

Banned
Truant said:
Even so, dual analogue movement is so hard on the DS3.

It's certainly nowhere near as natural, from the starting point, nore is it quite as fluid, but it's also not deficient once you get use to it. Besides, the DS3/SixAxis is a huge improvement in stick quality over the DS2. I think it really comes down to the software /how the sticks are tuned for the game. PDZ has worse aiming than any PS3 FPS, imo.

DrPirate

Banned
Kagari said:
Not really? Unless you have giant hands...

I have huge gigantic he-man claws and I'm not bothered with the DS3. As a matter of fact, I never understood how people could have a problem with it (People also say their thumbs hit together). I think people are just holding/using it wrong.

Either way: Mr.Truant, there is a 360 to PS3 adapter, and also: There's the PS3 mouse controller if you prefer that. It's 50 dollars this week at best-Buy.

Schrade

My hands are large and the Playstation 3 controllers are very small in my hands but I can still control Killzone 2 ok. Granted it's not natural for me since I prefer Mouse and Keyboard but I can get by. My hands start to cramp up after a while though :-/

Killzone 2 controls like a dream. Once you start playing you pretty much forget about anything else but the awesomeness that is the game.

All of my impressions above are based on the Multiplayer beta.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DrPirate said:
I have huge gigantic he-man claws and I'm not bothered with the DS3. As a matter of fact, I never understood how people could have a problem with it (People also say their thumbs hit together). I think people are just holding/using it wrong.

Either way: Mr.Truant, there is a 360 to PS3 adapter, and also: There's the PS3 mouse controller if you prefer that. It's 50 dollars this week at best-Buy.

Hmm. Okay, you win!

Zen

Banned
I've seen people (stupidly) have a finger on each shoulder button. That's like a formula for carpal tunnel and hitting the wrong button by mistake.

Baha

Zen said:
I've seen people (stupidly) have a finger on each shoulder button. That's like a formula for carpal tunnel and hitting the wrong button by mistake.

Can you elaborate? I've always used the dual shock controller with both thumbs on the analog stick and both index fingers on L1 & R1. Sometimes I have fingers on L2 & R2. I've never had problems with hitting the wrong button or discomfort after hours of use.

DrPirate

Banned
Baha said:
Can you elaborate? I've always used the dual shock controller with both thumbs on the analog stick and both index fingers on L1 & R1. Sometimes I have fingers on L2 & R2. I've never had problems with hitting the wrong button or discomfort after hours of use.

I've seen people control the DS3 with the middle of their thumbs on the sticks (or even with the side of the thumb joint). I don't know how it's possible to play precisely like that.

It's not..

And I think he means people have their index finger and middle finger on all 4 shoulder buttons, which is super uncomfortable. I only hold it like that when I'm flying in Warhawk.

Zen

Banned
Baha said:

Having your index fingers on L2/R2 is about a million times worse for you hand than just using the pointer fingers to alternate between the L1/L2 / R1R2 buttons on each side. It creates far more tension in the center of your palm. Also, depending on how your hand is wired (for lack of a better term) the pointer and index fingers on a hand can often be somewhat tied to one anothers movement. Meaning that making a motion with one can often result in the other involentarilly doing the same.

But if you aren't having problems, that's cool. I've just seen a lot of casual gamers do it and start messing up. It's probably less of a problem than people blatantly using the DS sticks improperly and then complaining about how they don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom