• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enojado

Hmmm, I don't know if they can be sold, but I would be willing to buy someone's review kit off of them. Any takers? :D And, yes, I am serious. :lol :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EschatonDX said:
I like KZ2's lighting more than pretty much any game i've ever seen. Does that tell you anything D:

Hmm, I see. Anything i can read up on to learn more?
The less you know the more you enjoy :D
Go to Killzone.com ,they have a nice .pdf explaining the light system.
Or you can go to the awesome R&D website from the awesome Insomniac Games
http://www.insomniacgames.com/tech/techpage.php

Adamant

Banned
Fersis said:

The danger is becoming obsessed with graphics technology. Yesterday I almost felt like having a fit because I was seemingly the only person in the world to notice the fixed specularity layer in the Fallout 3 patch for 360.

Even though I see all the 'tricks' or 'techniques' in games like Killzone 2 I still appreciate them, perhaps even moreso.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fersis said:
Go to Killzone.com ,they have a nice .pdf explaining the light system.
Or you can go to the awesome R&D website from the awesome Insomniac Games
http://www.insomniacgames.com/tech/techpage.php

I find it strange that you're trying to pimp Insomniac's R&D since we're talking about lighting here, since the weakest graphical element of the FOUR games they've made on the PS3 has been by far the lighting/shadowing. Ultimately whatever technique a developer is using, if your lighting is flat it simply doesn't provide the immersion, fortunately whatever technique or hack GG is using, Killzone 2's lighting is amazing.
Indifferent2.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kittonwy said:
I find it strange that you're trying to pimp Insomniac's R&D since we're talking about lighting here, since the weakest graphical element of the FOUR games they've made on the PS3 has been by far the lighting/shadowing. Ultimately whatever technique a developer is using, if your lighting is flat it simply doesn't provide the immersion, fortunately whatever technique or hack GG is using, Killzone 2's lighting is amazing.
Indifferent2.gif
He asked about were to read about tech, Insomniac R&D is a really good place to find tech info.
Not only that, R2 uses HDR which is in what he is interested.
If you cant see that because you felt 'betrayed' by Insomniac is another story.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fersis said:
He asked about were to read about tech, Insomniac R&D is a really good place to find tech info.
Not only that, R2 uses HDR which is in what he is interested.
If you cant see that because you felt 'betrayed' by Insomniac is another story.

Are you sure? Because R2 certainly doesn't look like it has HDR, indoor lighting in R2 looks especially flat, not to mention the lighting/shadowing in R2 is the weakest part of the game graphically. For the best usage of HDR, one can look at GT5P, UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, Motorstorm 1/2 and Heavenly Sword, all of those games have excellent implementations, it's also about being able to combine HDR and self-shadowing and tying the scene together, and in the case of Killzone 2, the lighting and shadowing really brings everything together nicely.

Fersis

Kittonwy said:
Are you sure? Because R2 certainly doesn't look like it has HDR, indoor lighting in R2 looks especially flat, not to mention the lighting/shadowing in R2 is the weakest part of the game graphically. For the best usage of HDR, one can look at GT5P, UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, Motorstorm 1/2 and Heavenly Sword, all of those games have excellent implementations, it's also about being able to combine HDR and self-shadowing and tying the scene together, and in the case of Killzone 2, the lighting and shadowing really brings everything together nicely.

It doesnt matter if the lighting is weak or not, the Insomniac R&D Webiste has tonz of nice information and resources about game development.

RiverBed

Banned
Forsete said:
Eh I fear the next PS wont advance tech as much as PS2/PS3.
fear not; it's Sony's business to be among the leading tech CE makers. that' what they do.
have you seen their CES products? the Vaio P? anyone really think they'll pull a Wii on PS4? come on now. they aren't only making a game system, they will continue with their home entertainment goal. they have to to connect all their other services together and make a bigger market for themselves.

Fersis

RiverBed said:
fear not; it's Sony's business to be among the leading tech CE makers. that' what they do.
have you seen their CES products? the Vaio P? anyone really think they'll pull a Wii on PS4? come on now. they aren't only making a game system, they will continue with their home entertainment goal. they have to to connect all their other services together and make a bigger market for themselves.
What does that means ?
The Wii is one of the most succesful consoles ever, you think that they dont want that ?:D

Forsete

Gold Member
RiverBed said:
have you seen their CES produts? the Vaio P? anyone really think they'll pull a Wii on PS4? come on now. they aren't only making a game system, they will continue with their home entertainment goal. they have to to connect all their other services together and make a bigger market for themselves.

Yes I agree, Sony loves being the front runner in everything its involved with (which is why I like the company).
But I still have my doubts regarding PS4, the same goes for the next Xbox. Console gamers don't want to pay the price of great hardware, which is damned sad for us who like games and tech.

Fersis

Forsete said:
Yes I agree, Sony loves being the front runner in everything its involved with (which is why I like the company).
But I still have my doubts regarding PS4, the same goes for the next Xbox. Console gamers don't want to pay the price of great hardware, which is damned sad for us who like games and tech.
Thats why PSX and PS2 were the least powerfull consoles of their generation ?:D

Kittonwy

Banned
Fersis said:
It doesnt matter if the lighting is weak or not, the Insomniac R&D Webiste has tonz of nice information and resources about game development.

It does when at the end of the day it's all about RESULTS. The best part of the techniques GG used, to the actual player, isn't how complicated or simple it is or how cheap it is to implement, it's how good the final product is going to look.
Indifferent2.gif

SamBishop

Banned
FINAL final (or at least final review) builds of the game finally came in today (as opposed to the ones that were sent out like two full months before the game shipped). I would imagine some sites may do yet another set of comparison vids, but at the very least, any future media will likely come from this build as it's sure to have an extra layer of polish on it over the older ones. Just FYI...

Fersis

Kittonwy said:
It does when at the end of the day it's all about RESULTS. The best part of the techniques GG used, to the actual player, isn't how complicated or simple it is or how cheap it is to implement, it's how good the final product is going to look.
Indifferent2.gif
mhmhm I think that we are talking about two different things.
Im talking about the R&D Website, not about the Resitance 2 lighting.
One user asked about good places to read about tech stuff, i pointed the R&D webiste...

Forsete

Gold Member
Fersis said:
Thats why PSX and PS2 were the least powerfull consoles of their generation ?:D

I think both of them were pushing as hard was they could at the time.

PSX was very close to the N64, and to me delivered more impressive looking games. I hated the blurry IQ of the N64.

PS2 was finalized in 1999, the Xbox came out 2 years later. The EE was pretty impressive anyways.

Forsete said:

Sony already has a nice scaleable platform with the Cell. All they need is a newer version with more SPUs and current PS3 engines can be nicely moved over to the PS4.

All they need is an updated GPU from Nvidia and more RAM.

So they should be able to produce a more powerful system for cheap.

Fersis said:
What does that means ?
The Wii is one of the most succesful consoles ever, you think that they dont want that ?:D

He's right though. Sony's entire brand scheme is to be the high end product.
They are not (and probably could not ever be) the best value product maker in the low end.

Their overhead makes it impossible for them to be a "Walmart value" company unless they want to move completely out of Japan.

SamBishop said:
FINAL final (or at least final review) builds of the game finally came in today (as opposed to the ones that were sent out like two full months before the game shipped). I would imagine some sites may do yet another set of comparison vids, but at the very least, any future media will likely come from this build as it's sure to have an extra layer of polish on it over the older ones. Just FYI...
Even more polish? Goddamnnnnn

Gibb

SamBishop said:
Another layer of polish???? ... *faints*

KernelPanic said:
Sony already has a nice scaleable platform with the Cell. All they need is a newer version with more SPUs and current PS3 engines can be nicely moved over to the PS4.

All they need is an updated GPU from Nvidia and more RAM.

So they should be able to produce a more powerful system for cheap.

This is true. The entire premise of Cell/Grid computing was to address scalability.

Fersis

Forsete said:
I think both of them were pushing as hard was they could at the time.

PSX was very close to the N64, and to me delivered more impressive looking games. I hated the blurry IQ of the N64.

PS2 was finalized in 1999, the Xbox came out 2 years later. The EE was pretty impressive anyways.
Dreamcast > PS2 in every single wayyou can think about.

hey... reading my posts looks like im trolling the PS Brand :lol

DeZimatoR

Banned
SamBishop said:

Ehhh, even more polish?

Damn! :O

avaya

Forsete said:
Eh I fear the next PS wont advance tech as much as PS2/PS3.

Then you should be thankful for Microsoft for entering the market. The paranoia between Sony and Microsoft will lead them to have a good jump. No nascent format to carry remember. I'm pretty hopeful it won't be Wii'ed. PS1/PS2 business model is not broken.

k79

Banned
SamBishop said:

Holy crap, GG are such detail/polish whores, and i love them for it :D

RiverBed

Banned
Fersis said:
What does that means ?
I obviously meant the tech and you know it. smiley face or not.

Forsete said:
have no fear. because gamers show that they will pay for bigger and better not only by buying new consoles, but by buying the newest PC video cards that cost as much as a brand new system on their own.
that and a weak system will not be able to get both MS nor Sony closer to their vision of home entertainment. forget about Nintendo; they are only focusing purely on the gaming industry while Sony and MS are looking at a broader picture. some gamers may say they are only interested in the games, but what I am saying here is that since Sony is focused on HD entertainment, convergence, digital downloads and streaming they have no choice but to make PS4 a tech monster of a system just like with every single PS system they have made (and even other multimedia systems they produce). and the first thing that will reassure you is what they'll do with PSP2.
that will be announced before the first news about PS4 comes out as there are already announcement that PSP2 is in the works and devs are already making games for it. you will see that despite DS's success, PSP2 will still be a tech monster and have a mutlimedia focus just like PSP did.

some people confuse Nintendo's direction with Sony's because they compete in the same market. but they don't realize that Sony's products compete in Nintendo's market and them some.

having said all that, I still say keep an eye on what can be done on PS3 since like with every past systems, it will continue to amaze and deliver year after year till it's successor arrives. I am salivating on what can be done on PS3 in 2 years time (think KZ3, U4 and the likes!)

AndyD

aka andydumi
UntoldDreams said:
This is true. The entire premise of Cell/Grid computing was to address scalability.

That is a big part of it. The whole plug and play into a giant network of cells.

I think PS4 will have an updated cell but the big question is whether they will stick with traditional video card, or move to a weaker dedicated cell for video. I think KZ2 is showing us that traditional GPU things can "easily" be offloaded to the extra room of the cell for better quality.

Also, even if it is "Wiified" that means duct tape together two previous consoles, which means two PS3s together, which should easily take us to 1080p almost across the board.

I think the Wii phenomenon is restricted to this generation because of the SD/HD shift, but there will be no such shift next time, so its just a matter of how close and good your 1080p visuals will be rather than will they move to 2460p or some such thing.

I think we saw at CES where the future is headed, 3D, and integrating everything to the internet, from TVs to every other device. Almost into a "always on" device. The next console battle may well be fought over 3D quality and "always on" integration and reliability.

iceatcs

SamBishop said:

Hmm, I wondering what IGN was using from the latest video. Title said "final build", I dunno if it is the one.

VNZ

Adamant said:
... but KZ2 seems to do it in higher resolution than most), and probably SSAO (ambient occlusion, I can't be sure the game has it without playing, but in layman's terms this makes concave corners of buildings / objects look naturally dim).
I'm pretty sure KZ2 does not implement SSAO, but it's certainly an interesting option for a deferred/g-buffer based renderer. Why? The SSAO implementations I've yet seen only use the depth buffer for its calculations (since that's the only meaningful data available in a forward renderer), but with the additional data available to the KZ2 engine (screen space normals for example, I don't think KZ2 stores material id but that would be helpful as well) you can probably do a more accurate calculation. Not necessarily a faster one, though, which really is what's needed here.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SamBishop said:

Have you checked it yet?

iceatcs

http://blog.play-mag.co.uk/ps3/i-just-finished-killzone-2-and-its.../

They teasing for next issue Play on Killzone 2 review.

I can say that Killzone 2… surprised me. And I can give you a few intriguing, totally out of context quotes from the review…

“Very, very dangerous…”

“We get a special, fuzzy feeling…”

“…just didn’t feel quite right.”

“…we kinda love them for it.”

“So bad…”

“So exceptionally good…”

“…better than any other game we remember playing before.”

“…we hated it.”

Will be out on February 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom