• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
kenta said:
There also might be some kind of reward/medal which increases your body armor or something, I'm looking into that right now

The Assault badge doubles your body armor. I don't think a lot of people have that unlocked yet though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Private Hoffman said:
Please note that Assault Classes have body armor, which I think gives them twice the health. That may be what you're seeing occasionally.
Yeah that sounds about right, I just glossed over it when I read it. But now I'm fully going for an Assault class :p

Edit: I just unlocked the Medic a few minutes ago and I really hope the final game comes with some kind of mini-tutorial on how to use it. I had absolutely no idea how to select the medic gun

For all you people reading this: D-PAD LEFT, then TRIANGLE when you want to go back to your normal weapon

Halvie

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Please note that Assault Classes have body armor, which I think gives them twice the health. That may be what you're seeing occasionally.

That explains a lot of the MP beta vids I have seen... I hope

Grayman said:

why so sad? that's a good thing

I hate the whole bunny hop/roll mechanic in halo/gears respectively. get that shit out of my multiplayer please. I don't need the combat to devolve into an elaborate dance.

Grayman

Private Hoffman said:
why so sad? that's a good thing

I hate the whole bunny hop/roll mechanic in halo/gears respectively. get that shit out of my multiplayer please. I don't need the combat to devolve into an elaborate dance.
NDA but I'll send a PM.

Bunny hopping shouldn't be used as a derogatory term. It's a real feature that has only been in one retail game in the last decade.

Grayman said:
NDA but I'll send a PM.

Bunny hopping shouldn't be used as a derogatory term. It's a real feature that has only been in one retail game in the last decade.

It's been used ever since Halo 1, and just got even worse in Halo 2/3. I do hope it's used in a derogative fashion because it's an awful mechanic. I love other aspects of Halo 3, but that's definitely not one of them.

J-Rzez

Private Hoffman said:
KZ2 is in a completely different league than any shooter I've played this gen. It is soo damn addicting. Typically there's some things that I hate about every shooter I play, but I absolutely love every single element KZ2 brings to the table. It is so polished. Here's how I'd rank the big ones:

KZ2 >>> Halo 3 / CoD4 > Gears 1/2 > Resistance 1/2 in terms of competitive multiplayer play

If we're talking shooters overall, I'd disagree with that line up if speaking from a competitive MP play stand point. When I think about it now:

KZ2 > SOCOM >> R1 > CoD4 > R2 > H3 > R6V2 >> Gears.

And I'm a hardcore SOCOM fan for it's ultra competitive realism gameplay style. KZ2 is just that good though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I really wish they wouldn't reset the stats before retail release :(

I guess I have nothing to lose because I love the default rifle and will gladly go through the ranks again but I just hate the feeling of losing progress

Goodnight Killzone 2, I will be dreaming of you~~

kenta said:

They need to. It'd be really unfair to those that didn't get into the beta as everyone would likely have an Assault badge by them and would just steam roll the new users.

I have a feeling Sony is going to expand this beta next week.

After those shitty PS3 NPD numbers they need to raise some hype with some open beta. DO IT YOU SORRY SONS OF BITCHES!

Grayman

Private Hoffman said:
It's been used ever since Halo 1, and just got even worse in Halo 2/3. I do hope it's used in a derogative fashion because it's an awful mechanic. I love other aspects of Halo 3, but that's definitely not one of them.
In Quake World and derivatives(CPM, Warsow, Painkiller) bunny hoping is when jumping and turning the mouse adds acceleration in the air and it's kept over time. In QW and CPM(q3) it only happens while strafing left and right not forwards and backwards. In Painkiller it works in each direction.

J-Rzez said:
If we're talking shooters overall, I'd disagree with that line up if speaking from a competitive MP play stand point. When I think about it now:

And I'm a hardcore SOCOM fan for it's ultra competitive realism gameplay style. KZ2 is just that good though.

I guess it depends on what style of play you prefer. Gears/Halo3 require a lot of bullets for the enemy to go down. CoD4/SOCOM/KZ2, not so much.

I like both approaches, but in general I'm not a big fan at all regarding how long it takes to bring someone down in Gears. It is too long. But, I'm not a big fan of Gears multiplayer in general, it is seriously broken in so many ways. Halo 3 I actually enjoy quite a lot. There's a lot of weapon diversity that seems to be the real meat of the game. The diverse playlists are also a blast.

I couldn't get into Resistance multiplayer too much. Felt flat and spammy. Not my type of shooter.

What I like is that KZ2 integrates my favorite elements from a whole lot of shooters and pretty much beats them for that specific element, too. It is really compelling.

kenta said:

I guess I have nothing to lose because I love the default rifle and will gladly go through the ranks again but I just hate the feeling o that f losing progress

Goodnight Killzone 2, I will be dreaming of you~~

I'm really curious to see the other KZ2 maps. IF they're as good as the ones in the beta, or better...WOW.

I love the maps.

Most shooters have maps that I absolutely HATE, but I can honestly say I love all of the maps in KZ2. They are all great.

I'm glad they're sticking with quality over quantity in terms of map selection.

Grayman

Rapping Granny said:

After those shitty PS3 NPD numbers they need to raise some hype with some open beta. DO IT YOU SORRY SONS OF BITCHES!
because opening a beta to people who own playstation 3's will sell playstation 3's.

Dante

Rapping Granny said:

Stop bringing the sales shit into this thread.

tiddles

Dementia said:
I think that's largely because the person playing never zooms in, which is much less accurate.

The guy is also firing long bursts, not crouching etc.... most of his shots are probably missing.

Those 3 shotgun blasts are fired from medium range (for the shotgun), and not particularly on target.

Zabojnik

Look great. I'm not exactly the biggest FPS player out there and while I enjoyed many of them over the last few years, there were always two things I found missing: characters that had some weight on them and destructible environments (I don't really care for 'real' destructibility, just give me an eye pleasing illusion). F.E.A.R. did this right, but the corridor repetitivity was a bit too much. KZ2 looks like a winner.

Halvie

Banned
J-Rzez said:

You guys really think the game will be the best competitive console shooter? Christ this is going to be a hard couple months wait. And again why didn't more people give UT3 a chance....deserves to be in the upper portion of both of your guys lists :(

Halvie said:
You guys really think the game will be the best competitive console shooter? Christ this is going to be a hard couple months wait. And again why didn't more people give UT3 a chance....deserves to be in the upper portion of both of your guys lists :(

The beta already is for me this gen. Just wish I had more people I know playing it :D

tiddles said:
The guy is also firing long bursts, not crouching etc.... most of his shots are probably missing.

Those 3 shotgun blasts are fired from medium range (for the shotgun), and not particularly on target.

Yup, and this game has no auto aim that I can tell either.

FFChris

Private Hoffman said:

Huh? I'm not sure what Halo you've been playing. You can't bunny hop in Halo games, they slow down your jumps specifically so you don't. In fact, it's much easier to kill somone if they are floating in the air than it is if they are moving on the ground.

If you want bunny hopping, look no further than UT games. The double tap strafe moves make that one the king of hopping.

KZ2 looks more akin to COD4 than any other game, from those videos anyway.

FFChris said:
Huh? I'm not sure what Halo you've been playing. You can't bunny hop in Halo games, they slow down your jumps specifically so you don't. In fact, it's much easier to kill somone if they are floating in the air than it is if they are moving on the ground.

If you want bunny hopping, look no further than UT games. The double tap strafe moves make that one the king of hopping.

KZ2 looks more akin to COD4 than any other game, from those videos anyway.

IT sounds like we're not on the same page with bunny hopping. I'm not referring to the way it is in UT, but in Halo 3, if you're in close quarters and you're fighting someone, it can turn into an elaborate bunny hopping dance in order to evade/confuse the other player.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Compare R2 to K2 is unfair.
In fact compare any current shooter to K2 is unfair.

R2 is a hell of a game, filled with fun all over the place.
K2 is a technical marvel, far above of anything else. Next year is gonna be K2 year.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I watched some gametrailers vids. Graphics are great. They nailed a lot of the subtle post processing effects to make things look real. Particle effects and everything are really nice too.

Im a bit worried about the gun play though. Movement seems a bit floaty and i hate that about some fps. Lack of precision.

FFChris

Private Hoffman said:
IT sounds like we're not on the same page with bunny hopping. I'm not referring to the way it is in UT, but in Halo 3, if you're in close quarters and you're fighting someone, it can turn into an elaborate bunny hopping dance in order to evade/confuse the other player.

I kind of know what you mean. Halo can be a lot like that yes. To me bunny hopping means really fast jumping backwards and forwards while firing at long range, UT and Quake Instagib style.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tonz of new footage:
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-231253.aspx

I would love to see the guys from Guerrilla explaining their tech (aside of the lovely .PDF)

Interviewer: 'So how awesome is your tech.'
GG Developer: 'So awesome.'

Also as a game programmer i have something very negative to say about K2 BETA :
Im not in
sadpandita.png

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Danne-Danger said:
Really? An instant revive from way behind cover sounds like it could be a bitch when people start to get good at the game.

1 - In order to revive, you have to bring up the "medic pistol" which is risky.
2 - Once you successfully revived someone, you have to wait for the pistol to recharge before being able to revive again. Takes a couple of secs.

skybastos

Danne-Danger said:
Really? An instant revive from way behind cover sounds like it could be a bitch when people start to get good at the game.
If the medic is behind cover, then probably some enemy is nearby... and the enemy would see you getting up and will say:

"ooohhh a free kill sweet !"

- and you will die
- and the medic will revive you again
- and you will die again
- and the medic will revive you again
- and you will die again

at this point you will probably be cursing the medic :b

Gibb

Private Hoffman said:
Hahaha, I love how in TTP's vids, he always takes the time to check out the scenery.

This game does that to you.. when I dropped into the beta I just stood there admiring it all.. turning, looking up & down.. I got killed A LOT in tourist mode =)

What are the spawns like in this game?

At about 3mins in the 2nd gamersyde vid it looks like a helghast spawned right in front of TTP. He wasted the Helghast. But one second later a whole army came and raped him.

Was that their base? Or just bad spawning from the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom