• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

JB1981

Goodness gracious. Just had maybe the most frustrating multiplayer experience of my life just now. It was so bad that I don't think I will ever return to this game again. I must have jumped into about 4 or 5 different servers and each one was the same spawn camping, bot spamming, clusterfuck of dogshit. I still can't get over how needlessy chaotic this game is. It is not fun. If you play on a server with more than 16-20 players, have fun trying to stay alive for more than 30 seconds. There are fucking air bots covering every inch of the sky and there are turrets placed around every fucking corner. THIS IS TOO MUCH BULLSHIT, GG. These things are supposed to be used TACTICALLY, not to fucking pin the other team down into their spawn point for the entirety of the match. This game is just overkill. GG needs to play BF: BC2 and learn a thing or two from DICE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yerp, the airbots can absolutely ruin a level. Their increased damage/health is probably one of the worst "fixes" I've seen. This game is no fun unless you're playing with competent teammates.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Goodness gracious. Just had maybe the most frustrating multiplayer experience of my life just now. It was so bad that I don't think I will ever return to this game again. I must have jumped into about 4 or 5 different servers and each one was the same spawn camping, bot spamming, clusterfuck of dogshit. I still can't get over how needlessy chaotic this game is. It is not fun. If you play on a server with more than 16-20 players, have fun trying to stay alive for more than 30 seconds. There are fucking air bots covering every inch of the sky and there are turrets placed around every fucking corner. THIS IS TOO MUCH BULLSHIT, GG. These things are supposed to be used TACTICALLY, not to fucking pin the other team down into their spawn point for the entirety of the match. This game is just overkill. GG needs to play BF: BC2 and learn a thing or two from DICE.

Imagine BFBC2 set in the KZ2 universe, running on KZ2 engine. OMFG that would be the game of the forever.

Airbots as UAVs. Futuristic tanks. EXOs instead of quads. And stuff.

.GqueB.

Banned
JB1981 said:
Then uh... dont play games with more than 16 - 20 people?

Facism

FFObsessed said:
I played til 5am, then I got cranky, ragequit and went to sleep. :p

Wont be on late tonight, got Uni early on Monday.

I played for 20 mins with rick last night, got cranky, ragequit and then went to play some better MP games.

JB1981

.GqueB. said:

Even the 16 player games, which are really only suited for 3 maps turn into the same shit. Bots fucking everywhere, engineers throwing turrets down fucking everywhere. Have fun throwing a spawn grenade. Tact just plops his good ol' fucking turret right there, racks up the kills and fires away with his trusty(overpowered, bullshit) shotgun. Seriously, the shotgun is pure shit. Every other weapon in this game requires you to crouch in order to be accurate. Not the shotgun. Dudes just run around all day firing from the hip and capping people. You can shoot the shotgunner in the face for 5 seconds and still he fires away and takes you out. This game is also rare in that it's one of the biggest offenders when it comes to 'you die, i die' gameplay. I've never seen another game where this happens so frequently. Even when you get a clear jump on someone it usually happens (probably lag).

Also, there are not many people playing on the US servers. If you want to play on a 16 player server in the US with any rank, there are maybe 7 options total. That's horrible.

.GqueB.

Banned
JB1981 said:
Even the 16 player games, which are really only suited for 3 maps turn into the same shit. Bots fucking everywhere, engineers throwing turrets down fucking everywhere. Have fun throwing a spawn grenade. Tact just plops his good ol' fucking turret right there, racks up the kills and fires away with his trusty(overpowered, bullshit) shotgun. Seriously, the shotgun is pure shit. Every other weapon in this game requires you to crouch in order to be accurate. Not the shotgun. Dudes just run around all day firing from the hip and capping people. You can shoot the shotgunner in the face for 5 seconds and still he fires away and takes you out. This game is also rare in that it's one of the biggest offenders when it comes to 'you die, i die' gameplay. I've never seen another game where this happens so frequently. Even when you get a clear jump on someone it usually happens (probably lag).

Also, there are not many people playing on the US servers. If you want to play on a 16 player server in the US with any rank, there are maybe 7 options total. That's horrible.
I see

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
.GqueB. said:

That's the official Guerrilla objection to the clusterfuck complain, but yet people come away from KZ2 with the impression that it is indeed a clusterfuck.

It's a flawed defense because:

1 - People want to jump into a nice match right away without having to deal with filters and stuff.
2 - When such a game is found, there is usually 2 guys in it.
3 - When such a game does not exist, you have to create it. And wait, wait, wait, wait...
4 - Joining a friend is "risky" cos he might be playing in a clusterfuck.

Thrakier

With dedicated servers, no respawn mode and limited to 16 or 20 players KZ2 would be the definitive online game of this generation.

Steroyd

TTP said:
That's the official Guerrilla objection to the clusterfuck complain, but yet people come away from KZ2 with the impression that it is indeed a clusterfuck.

It's a flawed defense because:

1 - People want to jump into a nice match right away
2 - When such a game does not exist, you have to create it. And wait, wait, wait, wait...
3 - Joining a friend is "risky" cos he might be playing in a clusterfuck.

Take away certain badges and it does indeed become much less of a cluster fuck, the moment your rank hits the one where you get the engineer badge, it all goes clusterfuck.

If I had known games would get this crazy, I would have levelled up my engineer badge the moment I got it at a lower rank. :/

TheFatOne

TheFatOne said:
Because of Killzone 2 multi player I am now not going to buy Killzone 3. Even if Killzone 3 gets dedicated servers I'm still not going to buy it. Really GG fucked up on so much shit in Killzone 2 that I hope Killzone 3 bombs. I would love to say I'm joking, but that's how I feel.

Oh boy did I overreact. Yesterday I was so pissed after playing a couple games of Killzone 2 I wanted to punch a wall. Joined a friends game thinking it would be good. It was 32 players on one of the smallest maps in the game with rockets and boost enabled (fuck you Rick). It was especially fun because the other team was mostly made up of assault class. Played two games like that. The next game is where I got really mad. There was so much fucking lag it was ridiculous. I shot someone up close with the shotgun. The person never saw me. After I shot him/her the person turned around shot me in the head and killed me. Ten seconds later I got a kill. Almost every kill I had was a double death. I would shoot someone first up close with the shotgun, and they would kill me right after. I would be inside a building when all of the sudden an airbot would headshot me. Except there would be no possible way for that to happen. That happened all game, and the best part was that for most of the game it was 4vs4. So much fucking bullshit.

Thrakier said:
With dedicated servers, no respawn mode and limited to 16 or 20 players KZ2 would be the definitive online game of this generation.

Add a realistic managment of the damages (2, 3 bullets are far enough to kill someone.... not 2 clips!!!)... isn't the game supposed to be realistic? ( welle that is the answer to the complains about the weird gameplay)

Add the ability to costumize averything (I hate turrets and drones... why can't I just play the old way? A man, a weapon... and the best wins!)

How can such an expensive game and great technical achievement be so broke when it comes to gameplay? I will never understand. So stupid!

PS: btw, GG forum is a joke... Always had to come here to get news.... Ridiculous.

JB1981 said:
Seriously, the shotgun is pure shit. Every other weapon in this game requires you to crouch in order to be accurate. Not the shotgun. Dudes just run around all day firing from the hip and capping people.
I have no issue with you disliking the atmosphere of the game, but this part is simply not true. I play almost exclusively with the M82, and I basically never crouch. It's an extremely accurate weapon, capable of killshots across the long diagonal of Pyrrhus Rise.

DigiMish

KZ2 is definitely not noob friendly. If you don't know anything, and it's your first time, and you join a game only to be gunned down by turrets and flying robots, then I can see how you would not want to come back.

Thrakier said:
I think GG, if they made some good decisions, could make the 32 players work, somehow.

DigiMish said:
KZ2 is definitely not noob friendly. If you don't know anything, and it's your first time, and you join a game only to be gunned down by turrets and flying robots, then I can see how you would not want to come back.

True.

But even for me (i am a 3 stars general IIRC), turrets, drones, clusterfucks, lag, no complete description of the games (duration for instance), ... playing it has become such a pain, i went so mad everytime that I just ended up wondering: "Being the most beautiful game is worth enduring this? Fuck no!!"

JB1981

also, in MP, does anyone find iron sights remotely useful? Even with the standard ISA rifle, I see virtually no reason to ever aim with iron sights. As long as you get the reticle over the enemies head shooting from the hip, you are fine and you didn't have to waste precious time going into the iron sights.

JB1981 said:
also, in MP, does anyone find iron sights remotely useful? Even with the standard ISA rifle, I see virtually no reason to ever aim with iron sights. As long as you get the reticle over the enemies head shooting from the hip, you are fine and you didn't have to waste time going into the iron sights.
Sighting in is only necessary at extreme ranges. It's basically the exact opposite of Modern Warfare, where you are expected to ironsight every enemy starting just outside of arm's reach.

JB1981

Liabe Brave said:
Sighting in is only necessary at extreme ranges. It's basically the exact opposite of Modern Warfare, where you are expected to ironsight every enemy starting just outside of arm's reach.

i would imagine that real life soldiers rarely aim from the hip and are always looking down their sights when targeting an enemy ..... i'd imagine the COD implementation is more 'realistic' as far as this goes. but really, BF BC2 does it better than both of them.

DigiMish

TacticalFox88 said:
I think GG, if they made some good decisions, could make the 32 players work, somehow.

Like the decision to NOT to give a fucking rocket launcher to every schmuck for free with 3 rockets in it.:D

TheFatOne

TacticalFox88 said:

Only one map is capable of handling 32 players. Most of the maps in the game are small so the decision to go 32 players is moronic. Whoever made that decision should be fired. Twenty players should have been the maximum because of the way the maps are.

Thrakier

cassiusclay99 said:
Add a realistic managment of the damages (2, 3 bullets are far enough to kill someone.... not 2 clips!!!)... isn't the game supposed to be realistic?

Nah, I think damage is fine. It's not too easy so that aiminig skill still matters but it's not to hard.

JB1981

TheFatOne said:
Only one map is capable of handling 32 players. Most of the maps in the game are small so the decision to go 32 players is moronic. Whoever made that decision should be fired. Twenty players should have been the maximum because of the way the maps are.

Completely agreed. How in the world did they think this was a good decision? I haven't tried (will now) but are there more 32 player matches available on a server search?

DigiMish

Yea, definitely agree with the player limit being too high. I think it was more of a "look at us, we can do 32 player and have the best graphics on the console" e-dick move. Don't get me wrong, it's very impressive, but games turn into clusterfucks too quickly.

Kind of reminds me of R2 and its 64 player limit. Everybody was all ooing and ahhing it and how amazing and epic it was gonna be and all that, but in the end, it just did not work well.

Quality > Quantity, ALWAYS.

Alright KZ3, 24 players Max. Hows that sound? I hate 16 players because I turn into a fucking nomad looking for the opposing team, which likely are scattered trying to be a one-man army.

TheFatOne

TacticalFox88 said:
Alright KZ3, 24 players Max. Hows that sound? I hate 16 players because I turn into a fucking nomad looking for the opposing team, which likely are scattered trying to be a one-man army.

I think 24 player max is still to big because of the maps. They are just to small.

bdouble

TacticalFox88 said:
Doesn't player count depend on map design/size more than anything. Course you will be a nomad if there are 16 people on a map designed for 64 or something.

DigiMish said:

My girl actually played for her first time last night. It's defaulted to "my rank only" and she actually didn't do half bad, played for a few hours even.

Steroyd

DigiMish said:

"My rank" avoids that when you're in the lower ranks, which reminds me, I might as well turn that off now that every match has turned into a turret whoring spam match now.

Like the decision to NOT to give a fucking rocket launcher to every schmuck for free with 3 rockets in it.

That assualt badge is just pure bullshit of the highest degree.

"Look at me, I have more health run faster and even regenerate" here's a nice nade launcher/rocket launcher for you. :mad:

I don't understand devs who think that the more players, the better. I had my best games on 4vs4, trying to play as stealthy as possible...

When I look at MAG and its 256 players, i can't help thinking "what's the use? You ll never actually SEE these guys!"... and it costs so much to the engine!

I will always prefer smaller games with more gameplay options... In that matter, COD is great: there are so many game modes that you can always find one that fits you.

How many games will GG need to learn?

Robot 492

Banned
cassiusclay99 said:
I don't understand devs who think that the more players, the better. I had my best games on 4vs4, trying to play as stealthy as possible...

When I look at MAG and its 256 players, i can't help thinking "what's the use? You ll never actually SEE these guys!"... and it costs so much to the engine!

I will always prefer smaller games with more gameplay options... In that matter, COD is great: there are so many game modes that you can always find one that fits you.

How many games will GG need to learn?
Yes. I LOVE 4v4 games. Anything higher than 8v8 or even 12v12 turns out to be a clusterfuck -- this is for most games, not just Killzone 2.

Steroyd said:
"My rank" avoids that when you're in the lower ranks, which reminds me, I might as well turn that off now that every match has turned into a turret whoring spam match now.

That assualt badge is just pure bullshit of the highest degree.

"Look at me, I have more health run faster and even regenerate" here's a nice nade launcher/rocket launcher for you. :mad:

I know GG nerfed assault class but it seems like the community still thinks it's super overpowered. Any plans to nerf it again? Why doesn't GG just do another tweak on it?

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
Oh boy did I overreact. Yesterday I was so pissed after playing a couple games of Killzone 2 I wanted to punch a wall. Joined a friends game thinking it would be good. It was 32 players on one of the smallest maps in the game with rockets and boost enabled (fuck you Rick). It was especially fun because the other team was mostly made up of assault class. Played two games like that. The next game is where I got really mad. There was so much fucking lag it was ridiculous. I shot someone up close with the shotgun. The person never saw me. After I shot him/her the person turned around shot me in the head and killed me. Ten seconds later I got a kill. Almost every kill I had was a double death. I would shoot someone first up close with the shotgun, and they would kill me right after. I would be inside a building when all of the sudden an airbot would headshot me. Except there would be no possible way for that to happen. That happened all game, and the best part was that for most of the game it was 4vs4. So much fucking bullshit.

Yeah, yesterday I saw some of the worst, of what I assume was, host advantage, that I've ever seen. One guy was literally killing people instantly. Full health you'd be running by and then you'd die suddenly and see he killed two others at the same time. Not headshots. To make it worse he was warping around like crazy. He was 70-5 by the time I just couldn't be arsed anymore and left to go to sleep. Complete garbage.

Also the way they stupidly did the "double win multiplier weekend" has made games so much worse. I don't know if it's just brought a bunch of idiots back or if people are just desperate to win so they'll use any cheap tactic, but I played all last week and think I came across only one BS Assault game, the majority of games, even 32 player games were great, this weekend, nearly every single game has been boosting rocket BS.

Been a really shitty double XP weekend that's for sure.

cassiusclay99 said:
Add a realistic managment of the damages (2, 3 bullets are far enough to kill someone.... not 2 clips!!!)

Damage in this game is perfect. Doesn't take anywhere near even half a clip to down someone. Try actually hitting them. Game takes skill to kill someone not just hiding in a corner and bam, instant kill. MW2 is that way. ->

isn't the game supposed to be realistic?

no?

KZObsessed

user friendly said:
You too. My highest score to date, what a massacre that was. I hope we get one more weekend with triple the points.

Hope it's actually a proper double experience weekend next time. But I doubt Guerrilla will bother supporting KZ2 in any way anymore.

i-Lo

The game is so solid, controls are fine when you get used to do, good selection of maps. Yet so many players have including me.

I just don't know what the game is missing.

btw, I wish the DLCs in the beginning were free. Criterion has shown how to prolong a life of a game with its exemplary support. I think this may have hurt KZ2.

FFObsessed said:
Hope it's actually a proper double experience weekend next time. But I doubt Guerrilla will bother supporting KZ2 in any way anymore.
I had a lot of connection errors last night, I could barely play one game. Playing all day today with no problems, put in at least 6 hours in today. :/ Last match was bliss.

KZObsessed

Just got about a 1000 points in one game with 200 kills and 50 deaths. Reached 130k. I wanted to get to 150k but I didn't play nearly as much as I had hoped. Couldn't be bothered with the way they did the "double experience". oh, I killed 7 guys with one grenade. ololol

Good game tonight Beamer.
Good game randoms.
Good night GAF.

DigiMish

Got the Valor Grand Cross. I kinda overestimated how hard it would be - I guess The double XP weekend brought some people over. I was 311 out of 80k something, so I was well beyond. Played a lot of pistol matches - that shit is so fun on Radec with the med badge. Good times, I'm going to give this game some rest now before I finish with all my medals.

Oh and that melee medal/ribbons is such bullshit. 10 melee kills during a match - that never happens naturally. I ended up just boosting with the assault class and pistol whipping people. Managed to keep my k/d relatively even. Got 4 ribbons, 4 more to go.

The trick to getting points normally is definitely the Engineer + Tactician as secondary. There's so much shit going on in this game, and the more minions you have the better. Sentry + Airbot is pretty awesome, but you also get the shotgun which is the best weapon in the game.

KZObsessed

DigiMish said:
Got the Valor Grand Cross. I kinda overestimated how hard it would be - I guess The double XP weekend brought some people over. I was 311 out of 80k something, so I was well beyond. Played a lot of pistol matches - that shit is so fun on Radec with the med badge. Good times, I'm going to give this game some rest now before I finish with all my medals.

Oh and that melee medal/ribbons is such bullshit. 10 melee kills during a match - that never happens naturally. I ended up just boosting with the assault class and pistol whipping people. Managed to keep my k/d relatively even. Got 4 ribbons, 4 more to go.

The trick to getting points normally is definitely the Engineer + Tactician as secondary. There's so much shit going on in this game, and the more minions you have the better. Sentry + Airbot is pretty awesome, but you also get the shotgun which is the best weapon in the game.

That would be the ISA Rifle. :p
AKA God's Rifle
AKA FFO's Rifle

JB1981 said:
i would imagine that real life soldiers rarely aim from the hip and are always looking down their sights when targeting an enemy ..... i'd imagine the COD implementation is more 'realistic' as far as this goes. but really, BF BC2 does it better than both of them.

COD more realistic? You never have to even aim a smg in COD :lol

People constantly fire from the hip in COD games.\

Lets not forget all the Akimbo sillyness

DigiMish

FFObsessed said:
That would be the ISA Rifle. :p
AKA God's Rifle
AKA FFO's Rifle

For me:

1) Shotgun - satisfying 1 hit kills. Feels a little cheap sometimes.:D
2) SMG - Nothing like unloading a whole clip on some poor dude.
3) ISA Rifle - Works in all cases. Near, medium or far range - this gun is pretty awesome if you know how to aim semi-well.

Top Bottom