• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some things I've taken to...

One, I've finally got the hang of using L1 with "hold to aim" enabled. The poster that suggested releasing L2 and hitting L1 and then pressing L2 again to take cover nailed it. Once you get used to that, it feels perfect. Only side leaning shots are an issue with this and, in those cases, just don't use iron sights (you can still fire using cross hairs). This has made moving around, taking cover, and attacking more enjoyable. Try it!

Secondly, I'm loving many of the firefights presented in single player. It doesn't really hit home initially, but as you progress, most of the battles take place in large, complex areas that you end up moving through. I remember in Call of Duty you would often find yourself bunkered down in specific areas and try to move through in a linear fashion. Gears was more dynamic but still similar. Killzone 2 often drops you in these fairly big, multi-tiered battle zones and force you to keep moving. The enemy keeps you on your toes and you'll end up all over. The deserted mining facility is especially good for this. Lots of crazy bridges and structures all over the place. I've found myself fighting in and around all of these structures and the AI dynamically moves with me. It actually gives you the feeling of making progress in a battle (or that the enemy is pushing down on you). Again, the first couple maps really don't do this, but it's something I've been really enjoying. Try not to sit in one place the entire time as you'll just end up waiting. The AI likes to dig-in and move around you and they often do not just put themselves at risk. It's really pretty cool. I'm looking forward to replaying this.

I just wish they tried to do more with the storyline. It's pretty sparse. The way it is presented reminds me somewhat of Crysis, I suppose, but with more of a military flavor.

mik said:
Awww--it's not as nifty as CoD's or Far Cry 2's, but it looks pretty neat.
I actually think it looks good. It seems like a stream of napalm or something. It's still probably the least impressive looking weapon in the game, though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Me: "Hello my good man, please hand over my pre-ordered Killzone 2 forthwith."

Him: "Not til Friday"

WAT

WHY? WHY NOT TUESDAY?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Why are you hurting yourself dark10x? Get used to standard configuration and you'll end up loving it.
Just an advice from a graphics whore friend.

finished the first level and i'm now somewhere in the second level... my god this game is great.. the art direction is some of the very best i've ever seen, but the immersion..........
is....just................addictive...

i turned all hud stuff off and i'm playing on veteran. seems like the right choice as far as immersion goes. ofcourse i died a couple of times, but i love it. i don't want to quit playing.

edit..: ooh and the music and sound.........

Raist

Banned
Always-honest said:
some of us just started the game or haven't even started..... learn to spoiler tag shit

Shooting higs with 2 well know characters is a spoiler now?

*rolls eyes*

Just found the sniper rifle, it's amazing.

Raist

Banned
Some of you guys... seriously...

Anyway.

Is it me or the higs are way more aggressive on veteran? I don't remember them rushing and flanking that much in the demo.

should I have spoiled that one too?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got to the train and :O

Absolutely incredible looking. Wow, how the hell did they pull these visuals off?! Hopefully other developers take note of the techniques used here. Naughty Dog could especially learn something about post processing. The motion blur is unreal.

BTW, anyone else think the music starts to sound rather "Metal Gear" as you progress in the game?

TTP said:
Why are you hurting yourself dark10x? Get used to standard configuration and you'll end up loving it.
Just an advice from a graphics whore friend.
I'm loving my current method of play, though. The standard isn't bad, but it just feels so much better being able to pull up a weapon with L1. Alternating fingers isn't bad at all.

I'm not sure how I feel about using real-triggers for shooting in this game. I mean, physically it feels awesome, but at the same time I almost enjoy them more in Motorstorm 2. Maybe I'm just weird, but R1 for shooting just feels natural to me. Did so during beta gameplay as well.

GRRRR, I've called about 6 GameStops, 5 Targets, 3 Wal-Marts, and the only 2 smaller shops I could find in my part of Silicon Valley. The rest (older) which I used to depend on to get games ahead of release date are all gone now :(

Wizman23

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
Spoiler that dudez! :mad:

Gimme a break its a first person SHOOTER and everyone knows Rico is a main character. Its the equivalent of saying The Arbiter has a good shooting part in level 4 of Halo

DoomGyver

I want to play online now! PRESS THE BUTTON YOU MONKEY!

SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS SERVERS

Jtrizzy

I didn't like the controls at first, but after playing the demo many, many times, I like the default set up best.

In mp I'll use the COD4 config though since there is toggle crouch and no cover.

BradleyUK

Lucky Russians

i1ffxu.jpg

I want tbh

No_Style

dark10x said:
I'm loving my current method of play, though. The standard isn't bad, but it just feels so much better being able to pull up a weapon with L1. Alternating fingers isn't bad at all.

I might try this. Or just stick with Standard 1 on SP and then flip back to whatever the COD4-esque config is for MP.

Edit: Beatened by Jtrizzy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
patsu said:
Did they say what's conflicting/wrong specifically about the network ?
It's a problem with how packet data gets transmitted through the network. It doesn't understand PSN for gameplay. Hopefully it'll be fixed in a couple weeks.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Standard 1 with a "real trigger" on L2. It's nicely balanced and allows you to hold down on L2 nicely for cover.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
alr1ghtstart said:
Standard 1 with a "real trigger" on L2. It's nicely balanced and allows you to hold down on L2 nicely for cover.
Realtriggers feel great for throwing grenades with the default. They basically did away with any complaints I have with the DS3. I still prefer R1 for shooting but for games that force me to use R2 it's at least tolerable now.

Caps4Stix came in yesterday and today my real triggers came. I have the ultimate ps3 controller now. Ready and waiting for my damn copy of the game.

A.R.K

Was just checking some of the battlezone replays .. its awesome. You could see how some teams are getting totally owned by the other one :lol. They should add gun/explosion sounds to the replays. That will make it better.

But WTF man, are the servers live already???? Some profiles I checked have already ranked up and all. Its not fair to us who can only start on Friday!!!!!!1111!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif

Top Bottom