• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Dahaka

°°ToMmY°°;95253994 said:
who are the composers of the soundtrack? i remember reading they had two this time, one for each section. vekta one was joriis de man, as in previous killzones, but who's the new one?

Tyler Bates

sunnz

KZ world and backstory ( oh man that back story) is way too good to remove the SP.

They just need some decent writers and someone who can properly take advantage of it ( maybe get some ND devs on board)

BeeDog

°°ToMmY°°;95253994 said:
who are the composers of the soundtrack? i remember reading they had two this time, one for each section. vekta one was joriis de man, as in previous killzones, but who's the new one?

I don't think Joriis did anything for this game... Believe it's Tyler Bates and Lorn this time around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm glad that the free weekend is over. Yesterday I played a Classic Warzone game where I wasn't revived once, half the team didn't spawn on the beacon I placed near the objectives and no shields placed.

Maybe some people are used to the COD formula of gun, explosive and killstreak and ignore the rest but when you are placed in a "team" like this, it's over before it started. We lost 1-4 and I was the best player overall not because I'm good but I was the only one playing the objetives.

But why would you expect people to know immediately upon entering a game they've never played what the best way to play it is? I know the same thing happened when I got Killzone Mercenaries - having played the beta, I basically knew what I was doing by the time the final product came out, but I also know that when I started playing there was a learning curve - do you need to hack this thing? Is there a certain order I need to do it in? Do my kills still count towards the score, or is that only in certain rounds? Just because a spawn beacon is placed, does it mean that's the best place for me to spawn? None of this stuff is explained very well. Whilst it doesn't take that long to work it all out, it does take some time. You shouldn't automatically assume people are just COD-brainwashed morons.

MAX PAYMENT

I asked this in the MP discussion thread and didn't get a response:

Can someone write up a short simple "KZ multiplayer for dummies?"
The game doesn't really explain itself.
I jump in and try to figure out what's going on, while being a large hindrance. A little bit of knowledge would go a long way for me, and hopefully some others.

For the next Killzone GG should just scrap single player entirely, make the KZ franchise a multiplayer only game and sell it for $20-30.

No, I rather they leave it the way it is. I actually am enjoying the campaign and like single player modes. Must admit, the end of Chapter 7 is extremely annoying though.

JawzPause

I have a feeling GG next game will be set in the killzone universe but will not have the name killzone in its title. The backstory is too rich to throw away.

andycapps

Just got a PS4 on Christmas, and I've been playing through the campaign. I'm partway through chapter 7. The campaign hasn't been nearly as bad as most reviewers have said, thus far. There have been a few really frustrating parts, such as
The free fall segment when having to navigate through various spinning "blades".. I had to redo this about 10 times before I finally got it. Also, the part where some walkers and Helghast were coming up stairs and I had to designate those for the ATACs to take out. That was painful as well. There are some times where I wish they'd just give you an option if you fail them a few times to just let you skip that part.
Maybe there are more painful parts coming later, but so far I'm thinking it's a pretty average game with some good moments. Chapter 3 when you're exploring the ship was a nice standout. I'd like to see Guerrilla move in that direction for future titles. Also, the music is surprisingly fitting in places. I probably wouldn't listen to it on it's own, but it is pretty nice.

Melchiah

Just got a PS4 on Christmas, and I've been playing through the campaign. I'm partway through chapter 7. The campaign hasn't been nearly as bad as most reviewers have said, thus far. There have been a few really frustrating parts, such as
The free fall segment when having to navigate through various spinning "blades".. I had to redo this about 10 times before I finally got it. Also, the part where some walkers and Helghast were coming up stairs and I had to designate those for the ATACs to take out. That was painful as well. There are some times where I wish they'd just give you an option if you fail them a few times to just let you skip that part.
Maybe there are more painful parts coming later, but so far I'm thinking it's a pretty average game with some good moments. Chapter 3 when you're exploring the ship was a nice standout. I'd like to see Guerrilla move in that direction for future titles. Also, the music is surprisingly fitting in places. I probably wouldn't listen to it on it's own, but it is pretty nice.

Regarding the spoiler part, I cleared the former on the first try, but the latter was extremely frustrating. I agree with the idea of having a skip option, if you get stuck and can't experience the whole of the game.

I just finished the SP yesterday and was impressed. Technically this game is on another level and easily the best looking next gen game I've seen. The art is similarly brilliant (as it's always been through the KZ series) and features some of, if not the best sci-fi designs I've seen in a game.

KZ games have generally been a mixed bag when it comes to writing (outside of the brilliant opening speeches), but I though KZ:SF was actually really good in that department, the characters weren't overly developed but each was well done and believable IMHO. Spec Ops: The Line received plenty if kudos for its unsettling story, but I actually felt more conflicted by the end if KZ:SF and still feel that way, especially in light of the epilogue. I don't know who was right and who was wrong at the end if the day, and I appreciate that. I never felt that way in Spec Ops, or certainly not as deeply.

As always, it was the gameplay/game design that let it down. The gunplay felt good, but could have been better. The game could have benefitted from a little more gun diversity as well; they all looked great, albeit the Helghast ones looking a little too similar for my liking (realistic perhaps but not very interesting, a little more uniqueness would have been preferable), but they never felt powerful enough in my opinion. Shotguns should be absolutely devastating at close range but felt underpowered to me (I never used them even in close quarters sections). SMGs never felt like they could melt people up close. Assault rifles never felt very accurate. DMRs didn't feel like they had enough punch. I actually felt the pistol was more useful than some of the SMGs and assault rifles, which is a fairly good sign that the weapons needed a lot more tweaking. Full credit to the sniper fire mode of the default gun though, that looked, sounded and felt brilliant. Unfortunately the other guns weren't as fun.

In terms of the encounter designs, it felt like the game needed a lot more play testing. The enemy hit reactions were good, although I think they should have had their health turned down a bit (they were serious bullet sponges) and maybe their movement speed increased. It felt like the game had such beautiful environments but they were never fully exploited for interesting encounters and set pieces.

As to the controls, they could have been better. I felt like I was fighting them when trying to track enemies accurately, which is not such a good thing given the amount if hours I've logged in console FPS games. There's a lot of talk about aim assist, but with stick controls they need to be a little smoother than what KZ:SF has. That's not a weight thing :)

All in all though I thought it was a great game and didn't deserve the knocks I've seen it get. Honestly with slightly better game design choices I felt like it could have been brilliant. Still one of the best sci-fi games I've played.

I just finished the SP yesterday and was impressed. Technically this game is on another level and easily the best looking next gen game I've seen. The art is similarly brilliant (as it's always been through the KZ series) and features some of, if not the best sci-fi designs I've seen in a game.

KZ games have generally been a mixed bag when it comes to writing (outside of the brilliant opening speeches), but I though KZ:SF was actually really good in that department, the characters weren't overly developed but each was well done and believable IMHO. Spec Ops: The Line received plenty if kudos for its unsettling story, but I actually felt more conflicted by the end if KZ:SF and still feel that way, especially in light of the epilogue. I don't know who was right and who was wrong at the end if the day, and I appreciate that. I never felt that way in Spec Ops, or certainly not as deeply.

As always, it was the gameplay/game design that let it down. The gunplay felt good, but could have been better. The game could have benefitted from a little more gun diversity as well; they all looked great, albeit the Helghast ones looking a little too similar for my liking (realistic perhaps but not very interesting, a little more uniqueness would have been preferable), but they never felt powerful enough in my opinion. Shotguns should be absolutely devastating at close range but felt underpowered to me (I never used them even in close quarters sections). SMGs never felt like they could melt people up close. Assault rifles never felt very accurate. DMRs didn't feel like they had enough punch. I actually felt the pistol was more useful than some of the SMGs and assault rifles, which is a fairly good sign that the weapons needed a lot more tweaking. Full credit to the sniper fire mode of the default gun though, that looked, sounded and felt brilliant. Unfortunately the other guns weren't as fun.

In terms of the encounter designs, it felt like the game needed a lot more play testing. The enemy hit reactions were good, although I think they should have had their health turned down a bit (they were serious bullet sponges) and maybe their movement speed increased. It felt like the game had such beautiful environments but they were never fully exploited for interesting encounters and set pieces.

As to the controls, they could have been better. I felt like I was fighting them when trying to track enemies accurately, which is not such a good thing given the amount if hours I've logged in console FPS games. There's a lot of talk about aim assist, but with stick controls they need to be a little smoother than what KZ:SF has. That's not a weight thing :)

All in all though I thought it was a great game and didn't deserve the knocks I've seen it get. Honestly with slightly better game design choices I felt like it could have been brilliant. Still one of the best sci-fi games I've played.

There's the problem. Once you use the Sickle in CQB, you will know. You're right about SMGs, though. The Valk is the Klobb of the Killzone universe.

And one thing I found annoying. As a Shadow Marshall who operates behind enemy lines, shouldn't you have a silenced weapon at your disposal? Shoot the Spoor once, all the Helghans come running. Even an optional silencer for the pistol would have been nice.

Jibbed

Now that people have had a month or so to get their head around this... is it any good?

Like are we talking Killzone 3 here? Or at a stretch, 2?

Worse?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Now that people have had a month or so to get their head around this... is it any good?

Worse?

I've spent over 50 hours with the game. It's pretty damn good overall. Campaign is uneven, the launch rush definitely shows toward the end, but I like it quite a bit. A good deal better than KZ3's campaign.

Multiplayer is excellent once you get over the initial learning curve.

Worse?

The campaign wasn't as good as 2, but many still enjoyed it. It's very different because you play a Special OPs kinda guy who does solo missions and there's none of the big set pieces like 2 had. The MP is amazing, very close to 2. I never played 3, but I heard it wasn't good.

Jibbed

I've spent over 50 hours with the game. It's pretty damn good overall. Campaign is uneven, the launch rush definitely shows toward the end, but I like it quite a bit. A good deal better than KZ3's campaign.

Multiplayer is excellent once you get over the initial learning curve.

Ok, great.

How would you compare the MP to past titles or even other games? Just trying to gauge whether it's worth buying in a few months. I was a big fan of KZ2's MP, whereas I hated 3's.

BadAss2961

Worse?
Campaign is something different entirely.

Multiplayer is every bit as good as KZ2, if not better.

Ok, great.

How would you compare the MP to past titles or even other games? Just trying to gauge whether it's worth buying in a few months. I was a big fan of KZ2's MP, whereas I hated 3's.

I love the MP. It's a lot of fun and no aim assist means you need a high level of skill to succeed. There are some issues that need addressing (grenades hitting poor geometry, weapon balancing, frame drops when things are hectic, etc). But overall I think it's very well done. The main problem might be player count. More people are playing now, but it's like 2000 tops. I hope more people get into this. But with BF4 and COD around, it might be tough.

There's the problem. Once you use the Sickle in CQB, you will know. You're right about SMGs, though. The Valk is the Klobb of the Killzone universe.

And one thing I found annoying. As a Shadow Marshall who operates behind enemy lines, shouldn't you have a silenced weapon at your disposal? Shoot the Spoor once, all the Helghans come running. Even an optional silencer for the pistol would have been nice.
I meant I used the Sickle for the first CQB section and I thought it sucked so much I never bothered with it again :(

Good point on the suppressed weapons, would have been a nice gameplay wrinkle too.

I meant I used the Sickle for the first CQB section and I thought it sucked so much I never bothered with it again :(

Good point on the suppressed weapons, would have been a nice gameplay wrinkle too.

The Sickle takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the fire rate and timing down, it feels sooooo good.

Koyuga

I have a feeling GG next game will be set in the killzone universe but will not have the name killzone in its title. The backstory is too rich to throw away.

Something that has RPG elements or lots of exploration would be fantastic. The killzone universe is too interesting to be confined to an FPS.

NHale

Ok, great.

I absolutely loved KZ2 multiplayer (still consider it the 2nd best MP of last gen) and didn't like KZ3. From what I played I really enjoy KZ:SF multiplayer and rate it a lot better than KZ3 but still behind KZ2.

My only complaints are the UI, guns and some of the maps. I know it was already on KZ2 and KZ3 but I hope GG makes another "Retro" map pack that includes Salamun Market. So good.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
sinclair kills the stunned guys at the start of the game

"you wanted my help? this is my help!"

so you're going to be the twist bad guy in the end, got it.

----------

shoot out these windows so the sun can sizzle your enemies!

oh you've been ejected from the spacecraft altogether! but it's ok, the sun doesn't hurt you anymore!

-----------

I'm shooting guys in a vtol while hanging from a rope. ropes don't work like this

-----------

Tyran has a gun pointed straight at my head but i pressed the melee prompt in under 3 seconds, so now im going to slowly remove a knife from its pouch and the stab the foot of the slowest trigger finger to ever exist in games

-----------

Zeus: "do blah blah blah in my apartment, you owe me one!"

Zues: "hey, thanks for doing blah blah blah, i owe you one!"

----------

and what am i, like half way through? oh well, good thing this game is gorgeous, but what a waste of amazingly talented artists.

oh you've been ejected from the spacecraft altogether! but it's ok, the sun doesn't hurt you anymore!
Maybe those spaceship windows are made up of magnifying glass, you know, to help with research and other miscellaneous sciency stuff. See? Perfectly reasonable sci-fi explanations for everything.

Those are all solid complaints, and you'll have more by the end I'm sure.

And no, by the sound of things you're not even halfway yet. There are 10 chapters and it sounds like you're still moving through or just finished chapter 3.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe those spaceship windows are made up of magnifying glass, you know, to help with research and other miscellaneous sciency stuff. See? Perfectly reasonable sci-fi explanations for everything.

Those are all solid complaints, and you'll have more by the end I'm sure.

And no, by the sound of things you're not even halfway yet. There are 10 chapters and it sounds like you're still moving through or just finished chapter 3.

Yeah I kept trying to come up with a reason for that one too. Maybe Kellen is wearing a space suit that is designed to withstand it? But then that wouldn't make sense because you take damage from it while in the ship just like the enemies do and you're never shown changing into anything when you go out into space.

Yeah I kept trying to come up with a reason for that one too. Maybe Kellen is wearing a space suit that is designed to withstand it? But then that wouldn't make sense because you take damage from it while in the ship just like the enemies do and you're never shown changing into anything when you go out into space.
Maybe once you're freed from a strong gravitational pull your drone can wrap you in a womb-like nanoshield energy cocoon to protect you from the harmful effects of vacuum and radiation.

See? Simple.

BTW Guerrilla, I'm available for contract work as needed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
sinclair kills the stunned guys at the start of the game

"you wanted my help? this is my help!"

so you're going to be the twist bad guy in the end, got it.

----------

-----------

I'm shooting guys in a vtol while hanging from a rope. ropes don't work like this

-----------

Tyran has a gun pointed straight at my head but i pressed the melee prompt in under 3 seconds, so now im going to slowly remove a knife from its pouch and the stab the foot of the slowest trigger finger to ever exist in games

-----------

Zeus: "do blah blah blah in my apartment, you owe me one!"

Zues: "hey, thanks for doing blah blah blah, i owe you one!"

----------

and what am i, like half way through? oh well, good thing this game is gorgeous, but what a waste of amazingly talented artists.
Looking forward to your impressions of the later half of the campaign, it gets worse!
(I fully agree with you)

And where the hell do you get
the space gun that you can fire when in zero-G
in Ch.7 and 9? They don't even show it on screen when you
do fire it.

Never played a Killzone before. Got up to chapter 5 a couple weeks ago and finally sat down to finish it this morning. Not a bad game at all imo, but again, it was my first Killzone so I don't know how good it's predecessors were.

Multiplayer is decent. Too slow for my liking but that doesn't stop me from completely owning in Team Deathmatch!

Solid game, very pretty.

Grinchy

Banned
And where the hell do you get
the space gun that you can fire when in zero-G
in Ch.7 and 9? They don't even show it on screen when you
do fire it.

lol that is a good question...

It reminds me of the end of KZ3
when you suddenly have a nuke
. Maybe it was told in the dialog but I sure as hell didn't pick up on it.

Hell no

Universe still has some good stories to tell. SP franchise first, then MP.

Drop the SP? No way. The campaigns are the main reason I love this series. And if you want a MP only shooter maybe you should look into Titanfall.

By doing so they'd lose people like me, who prefer the SP campaign over the MP. By bringing co-op to the MP they might convert those, who don't enjoy competitive online play.

Rather have a Helghast campaign.

Jesus NO! Ok this needs to stop, all this campaign sucks, needs to die gibberish.

The Killzone Universe is up there with the Star Wars franchise for fuck sake, its mega awesome, if you dont like it play something else, stop trying to ruin it for those that enjoy it.

No. Do that with Cod and battlefield though.

No, I rather they leave it the way it is. I actually am enjoying the campaign and like single player modes. Must admit, the end of Chapter 7 is extremely annoying though.

I just finished the Shadow Fall campaign yesterday. In my opinion, the Killzone series has never had an above average, let alone a great single player campaign (outside of KZ2 which was pretty decent).

Sure, the universe has great lore and a great concept but that has never materialized in the final product due to atrocious writing, story telling, direction, etc. I honestly don't understand how someone who mainly plays KZ for the SP could continue to be a fan of the series after their last two games. For the SP-only player, Killzone offers a pretty mediocre product.

Something needs to change. If series is going to continue to make SP a centrepiece, then GG needs to fire their entire writing and direction team and hire people who have the slightest clue what they are doing. Otherwise, the series will continue to review poorly, sell poorly and end up getting scrapped (like Resistance, etc.) which I don't want to happen because it's my favourite MP shooter.

Unfortunately, they've already had two cracks at this since KZ2 and failed to change their atrocious writing, storytelling and directing. I've given up on the hope/dream that one day the single player will live up to the potential of the lore/universe. KZ campaigns have now become ancillary throwaways that aren't worth the time to me.

Finally started playing this over the weekend. I see now y the game reviewed badly. I tried playing as a run n gun shooter & failed miserably. So I stop and started playing think first then act & the game is clicking so far. Granted I'm only on chapter 5, but the ppl that say this game is awful most definitely have tried to run n gun. Its not that type of game.

I particularly like how there is time between each missiob. Feels like I'm witnessing Kellens career and not the day he saved the world

wizzbang

Banned
Finally started playing this over the weekend. I see now y the game reviewed badly. I tried playing as a run n gun shooter & failed miserably. So I stop and started playing think first then act & the game is clicking so far. Granted I'm only on chapter 5, but the ppl that say this game is awful most definitely have tried to run n gun. Its not that type of game.

I particularly like how there is time between each missiob. Feels like I'm witnessing Kellens career and not the day he saved the world

Once you crank it to hard you appreciate it a lot more.

ChrisW

Not understanding the amount of hate on the SP portion of the game. I've just reached the start of chapter 8, so only two more chapters after this one.

I read a lot of comments about the story so I lowered my expectations a lot and I think it's made the game for me better. I've sort of ignored all of the actual story sequences, but I'm taking my time with the gameplay sections an actual find it enjoyable.

Some of the level design is odd, but I think that's due to modern shooters forcing you down a single path rather than letting you find your own way and even if you are atuck, just use your objective marker for a clue.

One thing I am really loving is the audio, I've been playing with headphones on and the soundtrack is fantastic! It fits so well with the games asthetic.

Graphics are really nice, I wasn't blown away however like I was with KZ2, although I have been playing on a Tesco TV 32" and sat quite close. The first section to really make me go "holy crap" was the very end of chapter 7 (following the drop ship) and the start of chapter 8!

Overall I'm very satisfied, it's a shame that the story doesn't compliment the huge scale of everything in the game, honestly the scope on this game great! I think people are rushing the campaign too much and need to take their time with it.

wizzbang

Banned
Graphics are really nice, I wasn't blown away however like I was with KZ2, although I have been playing on a Tesco TV 32" and sat quite close. The first section to really make me go "holy crap" was the very end of chapter 7 (following the drop ship) and the start of chapter 8!

7 and 8 I think are probably the best looking levels in the game.

manfestival

so I decided to put on my headphones and try out the game with decent sound as opposed to from my tv speakers and the game sounds much better but the overall sound. However, I am completely disappointed by the lackluster sound direction. The guns seem to sound more toyish than I recall them ever sounding. Sound in general seems worse. Meh

Muffdraul

so I decided to put on my headphones and try out the game with decent sound as opposed to from my tv speakers and the game sounds much better but the overall sound. However, I am completely disappointed by the lackluster sound direction. The guns seem to sound more toyish than I recall them ever sounding. Sound in general seems worse. Meh

I thought the overall sound was great, but I definitely agree about the gun sounds. KZ2 had such excellent gunfire with lots of sharp POP on every shot. With this game they went with sci-fi "pew-pew!" stuff. Though they sound pretty cool after taking a dose of adrenaline and looking down the sights.

Melchiah

Something needs to change. If series is going to continue to make SP a centrepiece, then GG needs to fire their entire writing and direction team and hire people who have the slightest clue what they are doing. Otherwise, the series will continue to review poorly, sell poorly and end up getting scrapped (like Resistance, etc.) which I don't want to happen because it's my favourite MP shooter.

That's only going to change, when the reviewers judge the game on the same metrics as the multiplatform FPS titles. COD and BF aren't reviewed by their SP campaigns alone, and it seems to me their reviews are also somewhat more forgiving.

manfestival

I thought the overall sound was great, but I definitely agree about the gun sounds. KZ2 had such excellent gunfire with lots of sharp POP on every shot. With this game they went with sci-fi "pew-pew!" stuff. Though they sound pretty cool after taking a dose of adrenaline and looking down the sights.

Yeah I think thats ultimately my problem with the sound design. KZ2 was so visceral and awesome sounding. KZSF sounds weak and very much like they went that sci fi direction. Which to me is a problem cause Planetside 2 sounds freaking awesome all around and it went that scifi route. However, I do hear that they did upgrade the sounds right in a patch a day before I got into the game.

That's only going to change, when the reviewers judge the game on the same metrics as the multiplatform FPS titles. COD and BF aren't reviewed by their SP campaigns alone, and it seems to me their reviews are also somewhat more forgiving.

I agree. I was complaining about this exact double standard in another thread.

I’m just calling a spade a spade though. Killzone is a series with an excellent multiplayer component dragged down by a poor to mediocre single player component. GG needs to either focus on what they do well (mp) or drastically improve what they do poorly (sp). They've failed to do the latter, so I think they should do the former.

Melchiah

I agree. I was complaining about this exact double standard in another thread.

I’m just calling a spade a spade though. Killzone is a series with an excellent multiplayer component dragged down by a poor to mediocre single player component. GG needs to either focus on what they do well (mp) or drastically improve what they do poorly (sp). They've failed to do the latter, so I think they should do the former.

Yeah, those kind of double standards annoy me to no end. Everything should be judged fairly, no matter the platform. Unfortunately game press isn't really known for their impartiality.

The SP campaigns haven't been the best in the genre, but I think those that I've played (KZ2 & SF) have certainly been above average. With better writing, and making certain parts of the game challenging by other methods than endless waves of enemies, they might succeed in improving it.

thenexus6

So I played the original Killzone back in the day, remember some of it - didn't get very far though. Got a PS3 maybe 1-2 months ago after completely missing it entire last gen; knowing i'd get SF and a PS4 in the future.. So I buy KZ2 start and wasn't feeling much didn't like the controls and had after things to play.

To my surprise I get a PS4 for christmas with SF and I must say I am enjoying it alot. Currently on chapter 5. The design and look of this game is amazing! and digging the controls too. Might have to jump back to KZ2 after with the DS4 and give it a another go. Then KZ3..

Campaign seems pretty short though, only been playing a few hours and over half way?

Working my way through BF4's campaign right now and holy shit it's like the complete opposite of SF's.

No flavor
No context for anything
No pacing
No options
No challenge

I mean, it's amazing looking and it's production values are definitely through the roof, but still. SOOO goddamned bland!

Top Bottom