• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Chinner

Banned
its a shame, this sp does start out pretty decent and even gets good at some points, but around chapter 6/7 it just starts to go down hill. the boss in chapter 9 is like hot garbage.

Grinchy

Banned
Working my way through BF4's campaign right now and holy shit it's like the complete opposite of SF's.

No flavor
No context for anything
No pacing
No options
No challenge

I mean, it's amazing looking and it's production values are definitely through the roof, but still. SOOO goddamned bland!

Yep, I just beat BF4 last night and this sums it up nicely. I enjoyed its mediocrity in a weird way, but people who have complained about KZ's campaign should really try BF4. Playing it on Hard is like playing Killzone on Easy.

KZ3 is in a league of its own visually last gen. I love fighting that MAWLR

Still prefer the visual consistency of KZ2 though. Visuals in KZ3 just came off as I don't know, overall showy I guess and it was at the expense of smaller play areas and such.

cheezcake

Campaign had some ok parts but overall felt really rough, the writing and voice acting was really off putting in particular

Its a shame because the art/tech/mechanics are all great

pa22word

So did anyone else nearly spit their drink out at how horrible the dust effect is?

I mean I normally wouldn't care, but it's such a pointless effect that no one would even notice missing if it wasn't there, and everything else in the game just looks so damned good it just stands out so much. It's like a super low res 2D sprite animated or something. It's like why even include it if it's going to look so awful?

Edit: here's a shot I managed to dig up:

IMG%5D

It looks a lot worse in motion though because in a static shot it gives off the appearance of a standard particle effect, but in motion you can easily tell it's blocky, pixelated, spritetastic nastiness from the rest of the scene.

Also I'm not really saying the game looks like ass or something because of it, but it just looks so laughably awful compared to everything else in the game, whenever it shows up it's immediately recognizable. Like say if you were playing Crysis and a blocky low poly MGS1 genome soldier-esque mother fucker popped up and started shooting at you.

Vibranium

Banned
I finished the campaign, it wasn't horrible but yeah, it could have been much better. Still, the backstory was absolutely amazing, I heart files and intel, thank you for that GG. Plus the environments were very nice.

Next game should definitely be Helghast campaign with Echo as protagonist, I think I'm in love. Seriously, she's cool in my books and has a great design. Hopefully similar-minded people let Guerilla know that.

I'm just going to chill in the multiplayer for a few months than I guess I'll trade the game in.

Melchiah

I finished the campaign, it wasn't horrible but yeah, it could have been much better. Still, the backstory was absolutely amazing, I heart files and intel, thank you for that GG. Plus the environments were very nice.

I found the intel intriguing, particularly the audio logs. The small text in the comics was hard to read though, without leaning closer to the TV.

I enjoyed the game. I really like the killzone universe. I like the fact the the helgast actually have personality. Hope the make another one
with echo as the star. And she finds out Rico is her father.

PS.I like Rico.

Grinchy

Banned
I went ahead and got the trophy for not dying in the campaign earlier, and I can't believe how much easier the freefall section in Chapter 8 is now. I'm glad they fixed it, but I got it on the first try without even really doing much. I almost wish more people could see what us launch players went through haha

Number45

What did they fix in that section? I went through the campaign a few weeks back, not sure if I played the fixed version or not.

Grinchy

Banned
What did they fix in that section? I went through the campaign a few weeks back, not sure if I played the fixed version or not.

They made it so you can fly up much higher. You can now essentially fly over everything that could possibly kill you. Before, you had to fly through all the wreckage and it was really easy to lose just enough momentum not to be able to get through sections.

I had 22 deaths in that section before I replayed it, and then I got it on the first try when I did replay it. And really, 22 deaths wasn't too bad for how it used to be.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So I just finished the game.

Uh...what the fuck is this ending? Jesus GG.

Amazingly pretty game, annoying campaign, and wtf ending.

Ah well, at least I can cross it off my to-do list.

Both I guess.

It was just...not what I was hoping for. It kind of came and went, like a muffled fart.
I can see that. Ending with
a stealth mission, without any decent checkpointing at that, was... well, a strange decision at the very least.

I think it would have worked better if the stealth was done in small chunks, punctuated by more credits, all put to Sinclair's speech. Some more credits, then a hallway, get stabby with a guard and punch a button to disable security, cut back to credits, cut back to grabbing the sniper rifle and working your way into position, cut back to credits, etc. Finish it off with Sinclair's last words as you take the shot.

But the way the game actually ended required a lot more investment than you'd think to ask of a player who has probably put the controller down from such a quick and unrewarding ending.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
So I just finished the game.

Uh...what the fuck is this ending? Jesus GG.

Amazingly pretty game, annoying campaign, and wtf ending.

Ah well, at least I can cross it off my to-do list.

pretty much how i feel. that ending was just... pointless. the story in this game is so poor that I'm not sure how it could to fruition in a AAA game with such amazing graphics. same with a lot of the game design choices; one swappable gun!?

Timu

Guerrilla Reveals First DLC For Killzone: Shadow Fall

Since PlayStation 4’s launch this past November, gamers have been keeping themselves busy with the exclusive first-person shooter Killzone: Shadow Fall from Sony-owned Guerrilla Games. And now, those gamers will be able to spruce up their experience a little bit with some new multiplayer maps.

Following-up on a promise made this past summer, Guerrilla will release these new maps completely free of charge.

One of the two maps is called The Cruiser, “a close-to-mid range combat map set in the confines of a decommissioned ISA cruiser.”

11954686744_6bc35b6cf7_o-610x340.jpg

The other map is called The Hangar, “a wide-open map situated in the hangar bay of one of the Helghan’s humongous mining spires.”
11954542193_07f3c5a72f_o-610x340.jpg

Poria Torkan, Guerrilla Games’ Producer, further notes on the PlayStation Blog that the studio is “also working on the first DLC expansion pack for Killzone[:] Shadow Fall,” with more information available on that in the near future. Unfortunately, neither that expansion pack nor these two new maps have a release date as of yet.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the soundtrack is now available to download on PSN for those who preordered. The bad news is that it's in the form of an app; to my knowledge you can't transfer the tracks to USB (to put into your PC music library and/or smartphone/digital player). And you can't listen to the music while browsing the store/menus/etc; you MUST stay in the app to listen to the music. I don't know if there's another way to get the soundtrack besides the PSN store.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the soundtrack is now available to download on PSN for those who preordered. The bad news is that it's in the form of an app; to my knowledge you can't transfer the tracks to USB (to put into your PC music library and/or smartphone/digital player). And you can't listen to the music while browsing the store/menus/etc; you MUST stay in the app to listen to the music. I don't know if there's another way to get the soundtrack besides the PSN store.
What devilry is this?

wouwie

I'm currently at the final battle in chapter 9. I'm not sure if i will ever have the motivation to finish the game so i watched the ending on youtube.

All in all, i found Killzone Shadow fall to be a dissapointment in many ways. I rarely play FPS games but i did enjoy Killzone 2 and 3 so i was looking forward to playing Shadow Fall as my first next generation game. But for some reason, it didn't click with me this time.

I found the game very uninspired in gameplay and story (and music). In fact, i'm wondering if there is actually a story at all. The storytelling was messy, the characters uninteresting and the dialogue cliche and stereotypical. The gameplay consisted mostly of big battles in what (i suppose) were the multiplayer maps. The AI never did something that stood out. I don't remember any particular musical theme or song that stood out. It was, in short, a very forgettable game.

However, i kept playing to see what next gen graphics are all about and in that sense it was interesting and i was not dissapointed. The game looked very sharp, framerate was smooth and there were some stunning looking parts in there (i still prefer the more consistent art direction from KZ2 though). Next generation games are going to look awesome indeed. Great graphics don't make a good game though.

It puzzles me why developers, who obviously spent a lot of time in making a single player campaign, can't make it more interesting from a story/character point of view. It's a shame.

In short, interesting to have a feel on what next generation can mean in terms of graphics but a forgettable game.

edit: just finished the game. I would also like to add, on the positive side, that i appreciate the fact that Guerilla made an effort to offer a mix of different gameplay styles. It didn't always work (the fly controls were strange for example) but at least they tried.

Melchiah

I've been waiting for this to come out. Is it available to be bought separately? And hopefully they'll fix the issue you mentioned, as I never listen to music on a console.

Apparently you could copy music files from the PS3, is there not an option to do similar on the PS4?

You can't play music on the PS4 (until it gets patched in), so there's no similar option to that PS3 feature.

I've been waiting for this to come out. Is it available to be bought separately? And hopefully they'll fix the issue you mentioned, as I never listen to music on a console.

I preordered the game on PSN, so I have access to the soundtrack. I don't know if people who didn't preorder it have access to it on the store. The PS4 doesn't even have a music player, so I guess that's why the soundtrack is in its own app. It would be nice to be able to download it...

Melchiah

I preordered the game on PSN, so I have access to the soundtrack. I don't know if people who didn't preorder it have access to it on the store. The PS4 doesn't even have a music player, so I guess that's why the soundtrack is in its own app. It would be nice to be able to download it...

Just checked, and it's not available yet. Hopefully it'll be eventually. If I had known there was a special edition that came with the OST, I would have pre-ordered one instead of the vanilla version. =/

meppi

Finished the campaign over the weekend.
In the end I really enjoyed it and had a ton of fun with it.
It did take some getting used to and thus the first couple of levels didn't really click with me. But once all the abilities become second nature and I started playing it differently from any other FPS game it became very enjoyable.

That's perhaps what's putting off so many people. Trying to play the game in a certain way that just doesn't fit the play style. :-/
The campaign certainly had it's ups and downs, but even the most hated parts like the skydiving and all out assault were not a problem at all. Actually really enjoyed it all.

Have to say I really loved the ending.
Glad we finally got to see the true face of the ISA scum in game.
Really liking where they seem to be taking the story, even though they have quite a bit of difficulty to flesh it out and present it in an actual game.
Wish they could take some advice from Naughty Dog on that part.

If the MP maps are free, what is the €19.99 season pass for?

Co-op horde mode plus some unspecified stuff for MP (not maps).

To help you save on the first six expansion packs, we’re introducing the Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass. For just $19.99, you will receive access to the following packs as they become available:
Online co-op expansion pack
Focusing on team play and intense combat, the online co-op expansion pack adds a new co-operative game mode in which you and up to three online friends must survive against impossible odds. Fight waves upon waves of enemies in four new arena maps, featuring a unique leveling system and new unlocks.
Three online co-op map packs
Each map pack consists of two brand-new arena maps you can play in co-op mode with your friends. Please note that these arena maps will only work with the online co-op expansion pack.
Two additional multiplayer expansion packs
We’ll reveal more about these additional multiplayer expansion packs when Killzone Shadow Fall’s launch date nears. Suffice to say they’ll offer many hours of additional multiplayer thrills!
But that’s not all – if you get your Season Pass for day one of Killzone Shadow Fall, you will also receive access to an exclusive OWL combat drone skin and a unique Multiplayer Spotlight move. Take advantage of this excellent value deal to maximize your online experience!

So, yeah... it's a bit pretty, and I like the change of style. Very moody, and the shooting is decent and all. But, these guys just couldn't craft excitement if their lives depended on it. Just cleared the E3 demo mission, and I just know that it was meant to be pulse pounding and with a grand finale... but then it ended up being a lukewarm fart. And the minigun sequence... oy vey.

Oh, and if you're going to go for the open environment stuff... do it right.

Game's not bad though.

Has anyone put a substantial amount of time into KZ:SF over remote play?

I'm at a portion of the game that requires the L1 button but it doesn't seem to respond to the touch panel on the Vita.

It's the chapter where you're
escaping captivity and that chick is helping you by giving you control over spider mines (an absolute low point in the game for me).

So there's a good story here. Somewhere. But the presentation is so hamfisted and cringeworthy that this good story is damned near impossible to follow! But then I wasn't expecting anything more from Guerilla, which is sad in the first place.

Finally finished this tonight after owning it since launch day. My first KZ game.

What a weird game. I agree with several posters above that there's a good story to be found in the lore but it's not in this game. It makes me want to check out the KZ trilogy in PS3 and work through it though. I thought the game was OK but it lacked that certain something and just felt so damn opaque too much of the time. "Where do I need to go? What am I doing, exactly? Who was that guy? Who is THAT guy?" ... That's the kind of questions I kept asking. And that last mission. Yeah, muffled fart is about right. Thankfully it's quite short and once you figure a good route it's over in just a few minutes.

I'll do two things: play it again on normal (was on easy) and check out 1, 2 and 3.

I don't do MP shooters. Do I stand a chance in the MP side of this?

leng jai

Finally finished this tonight after owning it since launch day. My first KZ game.

What a weird game. I agree with several posters above that there's a good story to be found in the lore but it's not in this game. It makes me want to check out the KZ trilogy in PS3 and work through it though. I thought the game was OK but it lacked that certain something and just felt so damn opaque too much of the time. "Where do I need to go? What am I doing, exactly? Who was that guy? Who is THAT guy?" ... That's the kind of questions I kept asking. And that last mission. Yeah, muffled fart is about right. Thankfully it's quite short and once you figure a good route it's over in just a few minutes.

I'll do two things: play it again on normal (was on easy) and check out 1, 2 and 3.

Hard to say for sure but I can tell you that most of the KZSF player base are quite awful at the game.

Is there a way to search for a mp server that runs a specific map?

You can browse the active Warzones to find custom ones that have certain maps enabled, but everyone mostly plays the official ones (TDM, Classic, 24 Player Classic).

The majority of the player base are not very good, but if you play with GAFfers you're pretty much guaranteed a win. There's a bunch of things you should know that the game doesn't explain to you (how certain game types are played, using class abilities effectively), but you can ask in the Killzone MP thread or watch YouTube videos. And there's no auto aim, which might take some getting used to. Try playing some offline bit matches at first to get a feel for everything. Play as an Assault and use the Rumbler or Keyser rifles, they're easy to use. But the Support class is the biggest asset to any team. Learn where to plant spawn beacons and place turrets/air drones; these are very useful.

Here's the MP thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=717455

Quote the OP to get the link to the GoogleDoc with GAFfers' PSN IDs if you want to play with winners.

The majority of the player base are not very good, but if you play with GAFfers you're pretty much guaranteed a win. There's a bunch of things you should know that the game doesn't explain to you (how certain game types are played, using class abilities effectively), but you can ask in the Killzone MP thread or watch YouTube videos. And there's no auto aim, which might take some getting used to. Try playing some offline bit matches at first to get a feel for everything. Play as an Assault and use the Rumbler or Keyser rifles, they're easy to use. But the Support class is the biggest asset to any team. Learn where to plant spawn beacons and place turrets/air drones; these are very useful.

Here's the MP thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=717455

Quote the OP to get the link to the GoogleDoc with GAFfers' PSN IDs if you want to play with winners.
Fantastic. Thanks. I forgot there are bot matches. That will help. I'd like to experience a MP shooter at some point and if this is A) a good one and B) filled with bad players then it might be what I'm looking for, lol.

Another question for series fans: is the HD trilogy a good package? There aren't any known wierd issues or dropped features that make it inferior to the stand alone games?

Top Bottom