• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Kamina

Golden Boy
Seems like I am one of only a few who actually liked and enjoyed the SP. It might have been a little too hard for my taste though and i cursed a lot because i kept getting killed. But overall I am pretty happy with the story, gameplay and especially the graphics.

NHale

I'm trying to finish this single player but the game isn't helping me one bit. I'm honestly struggling to find a game with worst pacing than this one and I played some classics like Call of Juarez: The Cartel and NCIS.

Right now I spent 60 minutes on chapter 6 and it's so bad it actually becomes hilarious how a company spent so money and time making this. This chapter has it all: bad pathfinding, stealth sections by following instructions from a voice (and some of them are not correct) and spend 60 minutes of a FPS playing as a monkey following orders while shooting 2 guys every 10 minutes. I really feel like I lost 60 minutes of my life.

I can only imagine what the mainstream crowd that got a KZ Bundle at launch thinks about this franchise now. GG heard the KZ3 critics about pacing turned to 11 and they went and turn it into -11. I'm sure the mainstream loves it. If anything, they love the complete opposite of COD...

GG and Sony lost a golden opportunity to establish this franchise during the launch period. I really like this franchise but while the multiplayer is great (only reason it was on my top 10 for GOTY) the campaign is just boring and something that most likely will make most people never touch this franchise ever again. If SCEE wants to keep the hope alive they should never make this a PS+ title. Contain the damage by not exposing this campaign to the masses.

EDIT: Oh the last part of Chapter 6 is actually an adequate way of finish the chapter. I'm now wondering if this is some kind of prank because I refuse to believe someone actually greenlited this campaign.

Melchiah

Talk about hyperbole. The campaign certainly isn't without its flaws, but it isn't as awful as to be hidden away from the players. I personally enjoyed many of its parts, while I was also annoyed by several of them.

leng jai

So I finally got around to finishing the campaign. Pretty much the secret to every hard section is to spam the voltage gun.

Just finished up the majority of campaign trophies, having completed The Knowledge, Outgunned, and Shadows Cannot Be Killed today. All that's left is Outmaneuvered, which I believe is the Zip Line one. Just glad I no longer have to play through the campaign in any prolonged manner. It has its moments, but its just ridiculous how poor many of levels are executed.

Multiplayer is getting better and better, though goddamn I regret lamenting about the lack of voice chat after some of matches. Too many matches are one-sided still though. Hopefully the next Killzone, if there is one, further improves on map and base design.

sono

I have just received my used copy this morning (couldn't afford it new at £50..) and starting playing the single player.

The initial feel of the single player is quite incredible, cant wait to get back to it..

ced

Well my first experience with this game is a bug that I apparently need to restart the chapter to fix, which I'm not doing. It wasn't that fun to get to the end of the first mission, or second chapter?

Soon as I get on the dropship and it cuts to a dark screen after the bridge blows, it comes back in and I fall through the dropship until I hit the ground and die. This happens after restarting the checkpoint, PS4 etc. Again I'm not going through the chapter again, so oh well.

Grisby

Well my first experience with this game is a bug that I apparently need to restart the chapter to fix, which I'm not doing. It wasn't that fun to get to the end of the first mission, or second chapter?

Soon as I get on the dropship and it cuts to a dark screen after the bridge blows, it comes back in and I fall through the dropship until I hit the ground and die. This happens after restarting the checkpoint, PS4 etc. Again I'm not going through the chapter again, so oh well.
Edit- Just restart the section. It worked for me.

Grisby

I realized after posting it doesn't start the entire chapter over, that fixed it and only had to redo 10 mins of the armory.
Yeah, it was short. Although when I was falling through the map with the bug I took some nice pics of the city.

It's strange - every section that I had trouble with on my initial playthrough, now on my second playthrough (on hard), I'm walking through it. I even loved the
wingsuit and space sections.

First off, the checkpoint system is waaay better - way less frustration from restarts. I think it ultimately helps knowing the objectives beforehand though. If there's one thing KZSF was criminally negligent with, it was clear objective markers/indications. There were frequent occurrences of a low volume audio conversation indicating your objective to you once and then never again, so I'd miss where I was supposed to go or why I was going there. This time, things seem much more cohesive but I'm sure there's an element of my pre-existing knowledge.

Regardless, on my initial playthrough, despite some bright spots, this was a 5 or 6 due to the unevenness, but with the new 30 fps patch, no HUD and no reticule - while I still recognize it's weaknesses, I'm having a 9/10 time.

Now bring on the fucking coop, Guerrilla - at least announce a release date.

I think it ultimately helps knowing the objectives beforehand though. If there's one thing KZSF was criminally negligent with, it was clear objective markers/indications. There were frequent occurrences of a low volume audio conversation indicating your objective to you once and then never again, so I'd miss where I was supposed to go or why I was going there. This time, things seem much more cohesive but I'm sure there's an element of my pre-existing knowledge.

I had the exact same experience, first play through I was often wtf am I supposed to be doing right now?

Shinjiru

My PS4's fan is almost silent with the 30fps lock option turned on. Big difference from the noise it makes with the fps unlocked. Not sure yet if I'll keep playing at 30fps, but options are good.

HTupolev

My PS4's fan is almost silent with the 30fps lock option turned on. Big difference from the noise it makes with the fps unlocked.
Interesting. Then the GPU is likely stalling while waiting for the buffer to switch, which would imply either double-buffering or a 3-frame render ahead pipeline (hopefully what they're doing is more akin to the former, since the latter would just add 33ms of input lag for not much benefit).

Which is awesome, because for all the gushy love it gets, triple-buffering is an absolute joke for consistency, even if you have a framerate lock. It makes a lot of sense if you're doing something crazy like rendering 500fps to a 60Hz screen, but it's a terrible idea for sending 35-60fps video on a 30fps lock; your input lag will sawtooth all over the place, and the gameworld time delta between frames will skip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DAY

FUCKING

ONE

My PS4's fan is almost silent with the 30fps lock option turned on. Big difference from the noise it makes with the fps unlocked. Not sure yet if I'll keep playing at 30fps, but options are good.

Yep, sounds like when I would lock the framerate on my gaming laptop

Just got the "Shadows don't die" trophy. Only campaign one I have left is all the intel and then it's just MP trophies from that point forward

I still ADDDOOOORE this game btw <3

Also, the 30fps lock also makes remote play quite a bit better IE: frame judder, or lack there of, really carries over...

T-0800

Just finished the campaign and I have to say I loved it. I don't get the complaints. Nice to play a game where you don't get yelled at to move forward constantly and have to use your brain now and again.

velociraptor

How do I turn off the Dualshock 4 speaker and still hear the audio out of the TV speaker?

I put the volume off on the DS4 and I can't hear any of the DS4 speaker audio. e.g. The audio drops you find in the game.

Help?

Honestly, this is such a terrible feature. It's even worse that Sony have zero oversight or ability to output ALL audio to the TV. I've searched the options and it's driving me nuts.

Got my PS4 with Killzone, just completed it. Damn the Helghast cant catch a break. This is probably the only game series that I feel bad for the enemy ..... because I swear we are the arseholes in this.

Game was fun, but damn you really have to break out of that CoD style gameplay in order to play it, if anything its more Far Cry 3.

Maybe a second playthrough now I have the mechanics sorted .....

DrKelpo

Banned
Ok, just finished the campaign and I think I can a agree with the 7/8 ratings. It's a good game with very good moments but I think they could have made more out of the story. I really like the tone of it and the whole scenario. But when it ended with a nice scene I couldn't help but thinking that it wasn't using its full potential. Maybe launch-pressure related.

My favorite scenes would be
The mission on board of the Cassandra.. The visuals were just awesome, the whole idea of the near sun, the sunbeams that melted the stuff away.. Very cool

The skydive into helghan airspace was a typical wtf - moment for me... Just beautiful

And the ending... It was not even new or especially original, but the setting when echo takes the shot, the whole atmosphere... I really liked it

Mp:
For someone who didn't really play one of the first 3 games, I was kinda surprised how much fun I had with the killzone mercenary beta last year. So I really looked forward for to shadow fall.
After the first few hours I thought that it was fun, but wouldn't keep me for long and at the beginning I thought the whole menu was overly complicated.... But after some time I looked into the mp again and as I got into all the functions and details I really started to like it and spent hours in it.

Just my two cents :)

Tfault

Help please, have reached chapter 7 - The handler (space section), but I seem to have no left stick control for movement, so keep dropping down until it says I'm out of the area. Anyone had this problem or is there a fix?

skynidas

Banned
Help please, have reached chapter 7 - The handler (space section), but I seem to have no left stick control for movement, so keep dropping down until it says I'm out of the area. Anyone had this problem or is there a fix?

I did, just Press start and select restart section

CND

Neo Member
I am a new owner of PS4 / KZ, and I am experiencing a game-breaking bug in single-player.
It happens at the end of chapter 2, after you escape on the drop ship, and the closing cut-scene.
Afterwards, what is *supposed* to happen is another cut-scene, but what happens with my game is that, it cuts back to real-time, and I am doing what can only be described as floating from the skybox back down towards the ground. The graphics are slightly artifacted, and I have very minimal control over my character. I have tried restarting the level to no effect.

Anyone?

Tfault

I am a new owner of PS4 / KZ, and I am experiencing a game-breaking bug in single-player.
It happens at the end of chapter 2, after you escape on the drop ship, and the closing cut-scene.
Afterwards, what is *supposed* to happen is another cut-scene, but what happens with my game is that, it cuts back to real-time, and I am doing what can only be described as floating from the skybox back down towards the ground. The graphics are slightly artifacted, and I have very minimal control over my character. I have tried restarting the level to no effect.

Anyone?

Have a look at chapter 2 end bug video, seems to happen if you hack/enter the drop ship before you should. Apparently restarting the mission rather than the last checkpoint seems to sort the issue out.

kiguel182

Just finished the campaign and wanted to give my two cents. Contains spoilers.

This one took me a while to get back to, I'm not one to play one game for to long and I usually jump around a lot unless the game really grabs me (Bioshock Infinite did that) so even if I have the game since launch only now I finished it.

I think the campaign for this game gets some undeserving hate. It's biggest sins are the padding moments when they just spam enemies for a while with you outnumbered. The game get's really frustrating in this sequences with not a lot of room for failure and tons of moments that just feel unfair since it's easy to go down and some enemies are tricky to defeat. It's no fun and it's the one part of the game I can't find a good thing to say.

While there are moments where the game isn't clear on showing where the objective is this issues are overblown and it only happened an handful of times. It boils down to trial and error and trying to find the path that was overlooked.

Those are the biggest issues the campaign has for me. While the story isn't a masterpiece it has some interesting thematics and I give it props for exploring both sides of the conflict and focuses the narrative in stopping the war instead of winning it. The contrast between both sides of the Wall really sells the whole narrative since we get to see how unfair their situation is. We, like the character, realize that there is more to the war that what is shown to us in the beginning. The villains are still a little cartoony but it doesn't take away from the reality of the war that is happening.

Visually the game is stunning, the chapter in the abandoned ship is probably my favorite artistically, the sun ripping trough the windows is really well done. Every part of that chapter is jaw dropping. This extends to the rest of the game but that chapter was probably my favorite.

Most of the cinematic moments are also well executed. The run to the Wall was a stand-out, as well as the final scenes of chapter 9. The artistic direction is simply top-notch. Not just the technical side of it but the whole aesthetics.

So, to end this rant, I really enjoyed it. The frustrating moments can't be ignored but the game does a lot of things well that compensate for it. I think the issues were overblown and the good things the game does are overlooked. The more open-ended level design, the new artistic direction, the story and the tight controls and weapon feel.

It's not a perfect game but it's far from the awfulness some people describe it as. Not a GOTY contender but a, mostly, good time.

DrKelpo

Banned
While there are moments where the game isn't clear on showing where the objective is this issues are overblown and it only happened an handful of times. It boils down to trial and error and trying to find the path that was overlooked.

had the same problem a few times.

i highly recommend playing through the game a second time, those problems mostly resolve, you get everything from the story and i had a lot more fun, because i knew all the mechanics better.

-Amon-

i highly recommend playing through the game a second time, those problems mostly resolve, you get everything from the story and i had a lot more fun, because i knew all the mechanics better.

I had the feeling the single player portion of the game was made to be replayed several times in fact.

There are several encounters that can be solved in different ways, and the OWL and the waypoints take a while to be understood by lots of players, judging from this thread.

The waypoints problem does not feels that "intentional" though ....

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally put some time in the Campaign and got to chapter 7.

Kinda LTTP I guess, but Guerrilla really did an amazing job crafting their universe in this game. The level where you're in the Helghan settlement really sold their struggle. But overall, the visual design of this game is just on another level. City designs are awe inspiring, and the Helghast designs are utterly drool worthy as well.

Overall the Campaign is really good, though the Enemy AI is really unimpressive and feels like a step down from KZ2 and 3...that is the one thing keeping it from being great so far.

I'm replaying the game with the difficulty set to high, no HUD, no crosshair and 30 fps cap and wow it feels completely different from my first run. I just beat chapter 2 but I really was bored and sometimes was annoyed with the campaign on my first run. I didn't even enjoyed the graphics but now it's like a completely new game.
I'm hoping the game will still be awesome for the other chapters because I didn't enjoy an fps campaign as much since Crysis in 2008.

This game should have been 30 fps from the start.

Dead

well not really...yet
Holy shit, this huge arena at the end of chapter 7 with wave after wave of higs

what the fuck guerrilla

what the fuck

DrKelpo

Banned
I didn't think it was a particular fun moment in the game, but at least on normal I had little problems.
I ordered the owl in assault mode to the ground floor where it shot enemies and kept them a bit away from coming up.
And then I used the pnv06 voltage. You can deal heavy damage, destroy turrets and Shields easily etc.
And sooner or later you can man the turret of the ship, you are guarding and shoot with the big guns.
The only part you have to be careful is when the attack drones come. Quickly kill them.

On higher difficulty it's basically the same, but my team members died quickly and suddenly I was all alone.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm replaying the game with the difficulty set to high, no HUD, no crosshair and 30 fps cap and wow it feels completely different from my first run. I just beat chapter 2 but I really was bored and sometimes was annoyed with the campaign on my first run. I didn't even enjoyed the graphics but now it's like a completely new game.
I'm hoping the game will still be awesome for the other chapters because I didn't enjoy an fps campaign as much since Crysis in 2008.

This game should have been 30 fps from the start.

How does 30fps make a game better? :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Just beat the single player. Was about to be all "wtf" at the ending, then the final chapter came. Pretty solid ending overall. Overall thought this was way better than KZ2 and 3 with the story and character stuff. Still not the best, but a decent improvement.

Game definitely got unnecessarily frustrating towards the end unfortunately, but I can see myself giving a 2nd go round for most of the chapters.

JB1981

Playing my way through the campaign and have been unhappy with the volume level on the sound. I went into the Audio settings in the menu and switched my speakers from Normal to Small and now things sound much punchier. I have a 2.1 digital sound system w/ small satellite front speakers but I am not sure if that's what the Small setting is designed for. The sound effects and overall volume levels are much higher/crisper but also a little too loud.

Anyone else notice the same?

Also in regard to framerate I don't understand how anyone can prefer the locked 30fps look. The game feels less responsive and looks blurrier.

sinclair kills the stunned guys at the start of the game

"you wanted my help? this is my help!"

so you're going to be the twist bad guy in the end, got it.

----------

shoot out these windows so the sun can sizzle your enemies!

oh you've been ejected from the spacecraft altogether! but it's ok, the sun doesn't hurt you anymore!

-----------

I'm shooting guys in a vtol while hanging from a rope. ropes don't work like this

-----------

Tyran has a gun pointed straight at my head but i pressed the melee prompt in under 3 seconds, so now im going to slowly remove a knife from its pouch and the stab the foot of the slowest trigger finger to ever exist in games

-----------

Zeus: "do blah blah blah in my apartment, you owe me one!"

Zues: "hey, thanks for doing blah blah blah, i owe you one!"

----------

and what am i, like half way through? oh well, good thing this game is gorgeous, but what a waste of amazingly talented artists.

Completely agree with you, I was pretty disappointed with the narrative aspects of shadowfall, confusing level design, unclear objectives, emotion-less voice acting from supposedly Hollywood actors, midget sized playable character etc., GG however nailed the graphics of KZ:S's campaign, which makes it easily one of the best looking sci-fi fps.

Caayn

Help, please. I'm currently at the end(I think) of the second mission, I need to evac the area by jumping on board of a dropship. Every time I do that the cutscene plays nicely, the AA turrets are blown up by the C4 you placed earlier, the giant statue is being blown up. After that the screen goes black, which I presume is normal, but after a few seconds the screen comes back again and I'm still in the level get kicked out of the dropship and fall down into an endless pit.

I've tried restarting the game and the entire system but nothing worked. Is there anything I can do to get around this, and get the game to proceed as it should without dropping me into the abyss? I don't really want to replay this level again.

Help, please. I'm currently at the end(I think) of the second mission, I need to evac the area by jumping on board of a dropship. Every time I do that the cutscene plays nicely, the AA turrets are blown up by the C4 you placed earlier, the giant statue is being blown up. After that the screen goes black, which I presume is normal, but after a few seconds the screen comes back again and I'm still in the level get kicked out of the dropship and fall down into an endless pit.

I've tried restarting the game and the entire system but nothing worked. Is there anything I can do to get around this, and get the game to proceed as it should without dropping me into the abyss? I don't really want to replay this level again.

I recal reading something about players having problems when they get on the dropship too early. Maybe it's that?

Top Bottom