• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
fool me once

kARmElb.jpg

i don't get the reference, someone please tell me.

Lakitu

st5fu
The first minute was beautiful and tranquil, I was blown away. We'll see how the game plays though, I wasn't a fan of Killzone 3.

amar212

Here's hoping we start the game as Helghast transitioning to Vektan soils. I want to see their side of the story.

My future would be moving from Vektan to Helghast.

Vektans are hypocrite pussies, such shame that Guerilla killed wonderful History of Killzone universe from official web.

Also, moving from Vektan (oppressor) to Helghan (real victims) would be really dramatic climax from eyes of majority of players who take ISS as good guys without knowing the context.

Helghan forever, fight the power.

Arnie

Art style looks amazing, as do the visuals in general.

Have real trepidation about the gameplay though. Not only does this look dull, generic, scripted and linear, but Killzone 3 was also a real mess. Trailer lacked Brian Cox, too. Isn't this a prequel? Killzone 3 spoiler -
not that such things matter because Visari is back from the dead, if I remember correctly.

Have real trepidation about the gameplay though. Not only does this look dull, generic, scripted and linear, but Killzone 3 was also a real mess. Trailer lacked Brian Cox, too. Isn't this a prequel? Killzone 3 spoiler -
not that such things matter because Visari is back from the dead, if I remember correctly.

Not a prequel. Takes place 30 years after nuking Helghan

No, 30 years after KZ3. Looks like they are going to try and forget KZ3 ever happened.

Necron

Apart from some of the animations it's completely stunning and beautiful. The lines between good and evil seem to be blurring which gives me hope that the story and characters might be good this time.

Kouriozan

For an action game I would rather have 720p/60FPS instead of 1080p/30FPS.
I still don't like FPS and this game won't change my opinion.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know that when people are saying corridor shooter they don't mean literal corridors, but it still does not describe Killzone 2 or 3. My point still holds true, you are thrown into a COD size map and can approach it from many different angles with the battle playing out differently each time.

Guerrilla Games described it best in one of their KZ2 or KZ3 interviews, a series of mini-sandboxes. If you want to include that in your definition or pushing the game forward and forward (which is usually how one progresses through a game, right? forward?) then ok.

I think what I'm looking for in a shooter is closer to what Planetside 2 has done with the sense of scale. I'm just tired of what current day shooter design is. I don't know if it translates well into a single player experience.

Re: sandbox comment, I couldn't help but feel that KZ3 especially was very restrictive about areas you can use and move in.

The resolution boost is definitely worth the extra horsepower over some extra shiny things.

This should be 60fps if they want to really impress people. It's a shame they're making a compromise already.

Scrabble

Man GG is one of the best at merging technical design with just incredible art direction. Just the architectural design of that city was something fresh and beautiful to look at.

I love the fresh/clean environment shown in the demo. Very Star Wars'esq which is a welcome change. The rail gun(?) assault rifle was also pretty slick, especially when it transformed for sniper use!

I am also very intrigued by the cold-war / Berlin wall references. At the end of the demo, when the marshal lets go of the rope he lands on top of “the wall” (the dividing line between the Helghast city and the Vektan city). I think we can infer that the game will take place on both sides of the wall which should provide vastly different landscapes, architecture, & color pallets. The idea of a game world inspired by the Berlin wall has me very excited. I can’t wait to see more! It would be great if they showed gameplay from the Helghast side of the wall on Jimmy Fallon tonight.

Also, considering this is set in the future, we can all look forward to NOT listening to Rico’s jibba jabba.

Perkel

Banned
More than Crysis 2, but still not a whole lot. Depends the level, really.

But in that instance I wasn't really trying to compare to Crysis 3, so much as critique the love for skyboxes. A great looking skybox does the world of good for any game with a vista. But if it's not interactable it's hardly what I'd call "scale". There's a reason games with huge explorable environments tend to look much worse than linear, controlled shooters with big vistas.

I think skyboxes is good term. It is not good technically speaking but i think it nails what we want to say.

As of skyboxes if you take Crysis 2 or 3 all their levels look like gameplay area closed in pretty skyboxes no mater how open they are. Gameplay area in both games didn't have actually anything worthwhile to look at. (in comparison to background) nor do i expect KZ4 to show something OMG in actuall gameplay area.

Character models and animation doesn't look better than KZ2 and 3, everything else does. Its a launch title game, which is excusable.

Is it possible to have the same models and animation that we've seen on KZ2 CG trailer on PS4?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I feel like people are gonna shit a brick about 30fps - I'm not surprised and am happy to have 1080p, but I still feel like people are gonna shit.
KZ is a slow moving shooter, I don't really think 30FPS is a problem. It's also known for its use of motion blur, so that goes hand in hand kind of with sub-60 framerate. I think motion blur just looks 'wrong' in a 60FPS game.

Zen

Banned
There are some nice details I didn't really grasp the first time, right at the end:

"Sir, looks like they're heading over the wall, you need to let go of the boat!" (crossing over the wall between each side of the city a la Germany following WWII)

He blows up the ship over the line in Helghast territory after literally landing on the wall.

"Stay clear! get those AA guns offline!"

"Sir! You need to get the hell out of there! NOW!"

After our protagonist stairs down 3 Helghast aircraft at point blank range.

The premise for this game is astounding. I love it. Forcing the Helghast and VSA (ISA got disbanded via Earth I'd bet) to have a forced peace in a close proximity? The amount of terrorism and political maneuvering in that environment could be amazing.

Also the game looks to have brought back alternate fire modes, and our character has some time dilation ability.

As generic mcguyerson as our protagonist seems to be... what a badass.

"I'm a soldier who just came to my senses from a terrorist attack moments ago, dead bodies everywhere and I'm participating in a firefight- someone get me a cigarette!"

you're a shadow marshall, every other soldier refer to you as their leader/commander, kz 2 and 3 have you play as grunts just following order, we're playing as Nick Fury here in shadow fall. ;P

the gif that's been floating around looks much better and cgi like than the actual trailer. some scenes in uncharted 3 and god of war are on par with it imo.

that looks incredible. im not a KZ fan at all but that world looks beautiful. like the citadel in mass effect. i cant wait for the next ME game if it has those sort of graphics. Really like the art direction they are taking with it.

zewone

For an action game I would rather have 720p/60FPS instead of 1080p/30FPS.
I still don't like FPS and this game won't change my opinion.
Amazing contribution.

On topic, I couldn't be any more hyped for true next gen. This will be the first game I pick up at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom