• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorral

I must be the only person on the planet who thought 3 was better than 2...not as OMG jaw dropping step up like from 1 to 2, but just more refined than two....also some really good puzzles

I should have mentioned that I am one of those who likes both almost equally and I may like UC3's story elements because of
Drake's past history with Sully and how they met
. What made UC2 overall slightly better (for me) was sitting with friends while playing through all of it.
It was something I couldn't do with UC3. Just that a lot of people around here ended up in saying 2 was better than 3, but I really just think it was because it didn't expand further than 2(the jaw dropping step up you mention) which is to be expected tbh.

This is completely off-topic though. Maybe I shouldn't have included that in my original post.

They are very well aware of what our suggestions are (some of the threads have even been tweeted by a couple of devs). Up to them whether it works for their vision of KZ.

Oh awesome. I didn't know that.

Steven removed all of yesterday's tweets. Weird.

Yeah one of his tweets was a reply to mine on using all the memory in the PS4, but he must have deleted them all.

The rest of his tweets he said that the main campaign had been playable from start to finish for couple months and the mp is being playtested etc.

velociraptor

Great sign that the game is already in a near finalized state.

KZ3 seemed to really be down to the wire. I recall the Beta for that game being a terribly buggy mess. I feel that title suffered as a result.

Having a full 6+ more months for playtesting, minor gameplay tweaks and balances to SP/MP, as well as improving the visuals should make for a very polished experience, unlike KZ3.

KZ2 was fairly polished as well, the beta for that game was actually quite playable 6 months prior to release.

KZ:SF being a launch title is fairly ambitious, so I don't expect any huge shakeups for the series in terms of gameplay. And with how impressive the visuals already are, they aren't going to be anywhere near pushing the system's potential.
I think you're right. KZ2 was extremely polished despite being GG's first proper game on the PS3. This was noticable through the gameplay and the presentation, unlike KZ3's SP which felt rushed. I hope by having the extra dev time, KZSF will have a similar level of polish as KZ2.

jVApzGWW45U5l.png

:(

Why does guerrilla continue to try and make the situation appear complicated and then create games where your only option is to mow down evil glowey eye guys?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What the fuck is wrong with these idiots?

I don't see why people want to play as the Helghast. In an FPS the enemies your shooting at need to be easily recognizable and the Helghast are some of the most iconic enemies in FPS today. You'll be looking at them a lot more when their in your sights versus you being in their boots.

sunnz

Something about the ending, flying through the ISA town and seeing the Helghan side of the city gives me chills.

sunnz

I'd be ok if this was the boxart. Though I imagine it'd be Mature lol.

killzone-shadow-fall-box-art.jpg

Actually really like that, very eye catchy...

One of those simple yet brilliant designs.

Sadly, we will most likely see some blue and orange crap ( thought it has a little of that here, but not enough to make it like the BF style crap)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hmmm has anyone given any thought to the game actually having a greater emphasis on verticality and traversal since it will likely be taking place, at least partially, in the city from the trailer. I think that was hinted at in parts of trailer and Hulst mentioned they couldn't do vaulting in KZ2/KZ3 but perhaps we were taking that a little too literal and he may have meant scaling wasn't possible before but it is now, opening a new avenue for gameplay to the player?

I wonder if the city will have a full day and night cycle?? I am thinking a night infiltration mission on top of a huge skyscraper would be cool!

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
That's disappointing. Hopefully they finally use some of that rich lore to come up with something compelling this time.

Don't understand what is so compelling about the Helghast? Both sides are guilty of wronging the other yet the Helghast act as if they are the only ones who have been transgressed against yet kill innocents and scheme and plot to kill billions of innocents spanning the universe.

Out of curiosity, what GPU do you guys think they have in the dev kit?

It's easy to have 8 gigs of system ram, but they won't be rendering from that system ram.

thugway said Sony started out with really weak devkits and improved them gradually to the final spec. Devs get the final kit in the summer.

Ce-Lin

dedicated servers ?
unranked / custom games ?
matchmaking ?

I think I'll get this again just to rage about the 32 players lagfest spam rocketing each other off the game, it's going to take more than new and fancy tech to top Killzone 2 multiplayer.

thugway said Sony started out with really weak devkits and improved them gradually to the final spec. Devs get the final kit in the summer.

My point is this. PS4 will realistically have 4+ gigs just being used for the GPU. The GPU's that are rumored in the Dev kits is supposedly "less powerful" than in the final kit. Let's say it's a 7850. The largest GPU ram option for that is about 2 gigs.

2, not 4, not 6.

Devs DID NOT (and likely still don't) have a dev kit with that VRAM that is available in the PS4.

TL;DR: Devs don't have 8, let alone 4 gigs of VRAM.

My point is this. PS4 will realistically have 4+ gigs just being used for the GPU. The GPU's that are rumored in the Dev kits is supposedly "less powerful" than in the final kit. Let's say it's a 7850. The largest GPU ram option for that is about 2 gigs.

2, not 4, not 6.

Devs DID NOT (and likely still don't) have a dev kit with that VRAM that is available in the PS4.

TL;DR: Devs don't have 8, let alone 4 gigs of VRAM.

yea sounds about right, I am guess VRam usage will be around 3 gigs. Shadow Fall's VRAM usage was 1.5 GB when this demo was shown. The question is, what will they do with an additional 1.5 GB - 2.5 GB vram? I guess they will increase the textures, add higher quality effects and go for bigger levels. But the game is already finished....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yea sounds about right, I am guess VRam usage will be around 3 gigs. Shadow Fall's VRAM usage was 1.5 GB when this demo was show. The question is, what will they do with an additional 1.5 GB - 2.5 GB vram? I guess they will increase the textures, add higher quality effects and go for bigger levels. But the game is already finished....

It's not rare for the game to be content complete even a year before launch. A lot of the graphics polishing comes later. I expect there to be a big improvement in AA, motion blur, and animation before launch.

It's not rare for the game to be content complete even a year before launch. A lot of the graphics polishing comes later. I expect there to be a big improvement in AA, motion blur, and animation before launch.

most of the effects seem high quality though, I like the motion blur in this game, it isn't over done. What they need to do is increase the particle effects, both in terms of quality and quantity. I guess they could also add cool effects like dust shadows or smoke shadow which would give it a realistic feel. Even Killzone 3 had cloud shadows, don't know if it was real time though

I would rather play as a 3rd faction rather the ISA or hellgast.

Both factions are pretty unlikeable and evil.

Hopefully KZ vita scratches this itch

Boss Man

Did that interview ever happen that someone posted about asking if we had questions to forward?

It seems like those never end up actually happening. :(

I hope for a couple of things:

1) Some notable graphics upgrades. It's beautiful but just not wowing, and I want wowing.
2) Fucking go wild with it. Inject some crazy new gameplay elements into the game, it's got a crazy sci-fi element to it there's so much potential. I'm talking shooting lightning out of your balls and teleporting and shit, not a battle against a futuretech helicopter. Please don't be just another ADS military shooter.

The whole "augmented soldier" concept at least gives me hope for number 2. GG pls.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
most of the effects seem high quality though, I like the motion blur in this game, it isn't over done. What they need to do is increase the particle effects, both in terms of quality and quantity. I guess they could also add cool effects like dust shadows or smoke shadow which would give it a realistic feel. Even Killzone 3 had cloud shadows, don't know if it was real time though

I used a Youtube downloader to grab the gameplay footage in 1080p and put it on my PS3. Bitrate isn't great but it's still the best quality out there of the gameplay portion. I watched the explosions and stuff in slow motion and they look absolutely insane. The fire lights up the billowing, volumetric smoke. It's extremely impressive.

I agree that the motion blur should remain subtle but it could definitely be higher quality. It looks exactly the same as it did in KZ3 in SF. Some more samples would go a long way.

I used a Youtube downloader to grab the gameplay footage in 1080p and put it on my PS3. Bitrate isn't great but it's still the best quality out there of the gameplay portion. I watched the explosions and stuff in slow motion and they look absolutely insane. The fire lights up the billowing, volumetric smoke. It's extremely impressive.

I agree that the motion blur should remain subtle but it could definitely be higher quality. It looks exactly the same as it did in KZ3 in SF. Some more samples would go a long way.

I agree, it's a very impressive looking game! Didn't know that about the motion blur, should be easy to improve it for the final version (hopefully they will implement Planetside 2's motion blur ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom