• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be ok if this was the boxart. Though I imagine it'd be Mature lol.

killzone-shadow-fall-box-art.jpg

Looks like... a wolf...

So... Full circle

gadwn

Its much more interesting gameplay wise shooting red-eyed class based soldiers than generic ISA soldiers.

100% agreed.

Shooting ISA soldiers would be boring. Much of my love for the Killzone series comes from the Helghast's being such iconic and awesome enemies. I want them red eyes and nasty screams. <3

I used a Youtube downloader to grab the gameplay footage in 1080p and put it on my PS3. Bitrate isn't great but it's still the best quality out there of the gameplay portion. I watched the explosions and stuff in slow motion and they look absolutely insane. The fire lights up the billowing, volumetric smoke. It's extremely impressive.

I agree that the motion blur should remain subtle but it could definitely be higher quality. It looks exactly the same as it did in KZ3 in SF. Some more samples would go a long way.

i'm uploading the raw encode provided by Sony on their press page before it was locked. That Youtube Vid really doesnt do it justice and the vid I have here is not even in 1080p.

I'll post it here when it's done.

stryke

i'm uploading the raw encode provided by Sony on their press page before it was locked. That Youtube Vid really doesnt do it justice and the vid I have here is not even in 1080p.

I'll post it here when it's done.

The full length one? The account that was going around earlier only had the short trailer...

Respawn

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with these idiots?

They finally have a good conflict to let the players be the Helghast for once and they blew it. Hey GG, at least make some of the ISA characters likable this time.

Sadly I have to agree with this. Even multiplayer I always try and play with the Helghast.
Really enjoyed looking through their helmets in three.

100% agreed.

Shooting ISA soldiers would be boring. Much of my love for the Killzone series comes from the Helghast's being such iconic and awesome enemies. I want them red eyes and nasty screams. <3

Agreed. The Helghast are cool to look at so the more time I'm looking at them the better. The ISA would make such bland enemies to be looking at all the time.

Thanks. That's about three times the file size as the one I have. Should be much better quality.

I kinda wish they provided the 1080p one but i guess the filesize would be massive as the 1:30s trailer was 1.12 GB.

Same thing with Drive Club, I wasn't impressed by the Vid on youtube and when I got the 1080p 650 MB trailer from the press site I was floored at the details in the cars.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I kinda wish they provided the 1080p one but i guess the filesize would be massive as the 1:30s trailer was 1.12 GB.

Yeah, that would have been amazing. I'm guessing that's what DF did their analysis on. The one I got was 1080p but it was only about 110mb.

Yeah, that would have been amazing. I'm guessing that's what DF did their analysis on. The one I got was 1080p but it was only about 110mb.

I assume so, the little framerate hiccups at the beginning were not really as frequent in the vid which would be why DF concluded it was constant 30 FPS

sunnz

I really hope they add in a lot more scale and copy KZ: Mercenaries in terms of you play how you want with what you want (probably hard to do)

Hopefully the maps are large, open, diverse and allow for greater large scale battles as well as the good old CQB.

I kinda hope they made the jetpack as something you can always use in a way, not like the one in KZ3 with guns, but just a normal small backpack style one that lets you burst up into the air ( imagine bursting like 20 feet into the air, going slow mode and killing everyone you see...)

A good way to change the style of play.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I assume so, the little framerate hiccups at the beginning were not really as frequent in the vid which would be why DF concluded it was constant 30 FPS

Just watched through the vid you posted. Much nicer than mine. The framerate was pretty bad in the one I had to so this one is far more watchable.

This generational transition will be a really smooth one, technically speaking.

Developers are not struggling with going from Emotion Engine to Cell. Or from SD to HD.

Everyone has established their frameworks or are really comfortable in Unteal Engine, etc. It won't be a jarring transition. We should expect some real solid quality launch titles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This generational transition will be a really smooth one, technically speaking.

Developers are not struggling with going from Emotion Engine to Cell. Or from SD to HD.

Everyone has established their frameworks or are really comfortable in Unteal Engine, etc. It won't be a jarring transition. We sjould expect some real solid quality launch titles.
This is what I'm hoping for as well. Shit should be pretty smooth.

I'm expecting a lot out of Shadow Fall and Second Son since they'll have had over two years of dev time and were planning on targeting next gen from the start.

sunnz

I'm expecting a lot out of Shadow Fall and Second Son since they'll have had over two years of dev time and were planning on targeting next gen from the start.

Which true, but as you may have seen with the various rumors and leaks, the ps4 dev kit they have now, or get in the summer, is probably A LOT different to the one from a year ago, from CPU, ram...

So they may not have had 2 years to actually developed with the ps4 we all will get, just 2 years to make the game ( story, settings, planning etc)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Which true, but as you may have seen with the various rumors and leaks, the ps4 dev kit they have now, or get in the summer, is probably A LOT different to the one from a year ago, from CPU, ram...

So they may not have had 2 years to actually developed with the ps4 we all will get, just 2 years to make the game ( story, settings, planning etc)

They started the game right after KZ3. The level design and and story are done they're just polishing gameplay and visuals. They're probably front loading a lot of the gameplay tweaks so they can focus on visuals and performance once the final dev kits arrive. I also just have high expectations for graphics from Guerrilla.

moolhy

Banned
I still can't appreciate half the details this game currently has with that framerate. The only time I was able to discern a real increase in character model fidelity was during the slow down before the knife kill near the beginning.

It's a shame they weren't able to get a buttery smooth 60 frames for this game. It would do wonders.

Well to be fair they could just want to avoid spoilers. For all we know they could be pulling a MGS2 on us, and we end up playing as Helghast for the whole damn game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still can't appreciate half the details this game currently has with that framerate. The only time I was able to discern a real increase in character model fidelity was during the slow down before the knife kill near the beginning.

It's a shame they weren't able to get a buttery smooth 60 frames for this game. It would do wonders.

I don't think Guerrilla is a studio that will ever target 60fps, at least not for Killzone. They're firm believers in pushing graphics as far as they can.

30 fps? I shouldnt be surprised. Next gen isnt even here and it already sucks.
60fps will never be standard on consoles. Ever.

Over 6 months for bug fixing sounds completely unnecessary. Im sure they will spend a lot of that time polishing the graphics and adding features. Sounds like the game should ship extremely polished.

I'm so glad to hear they have that much time to polish things up!

Killzone 3 was clearly rushed in Sony's attempt to get out sequels to all it's franchises at a quick quip once engines were running strong on ps3 (KZ3, Infamous 2, etc. all having ~1.5 year dev cycles vs 2.5-3 year dev cycles for their predecessors), and the game was missing features (offline co-op, etc.) and had more graphical glitches than Killzone 2 (texture pop-in, etc.).

I am overjoyed that this game is going to be "well done" for launch. And goddamit, if Sony wants a "AAA", multimillion selling shooter like Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield, it deserves it. Either that, or significantly increase the size of their team, but I prefer Microsoft's approach to Halo than Ubisoft/Activision/EA's approach to their big franchises. Give us an awesome game every 2.5-3 years as opposed to recycling the same IP every year.

Sony seemed to be learning this by the end of the gen, after even Naughty Dog were like "Uncharted 3 was rushed" (though apparently that was entirely ND's fault), and Ascension ended up getting an extra year in the oven. Too bad that couldn't overcome God of War's franchise fatigue.

There's a reason Cerny did say in his interview that there should be a lot of launch titles.

I do hope they spread them out a bit though throughout the beginning of next year or so. Something like ~10-14 1st and 3rd Party titles day 1 should be good.

I also expect Uncharted 4 next year.

here's link to the vid

watching the video now...

damn this is a good looking game! the art is great and the tech is good too!! This is why I think Bioshock Infinite looks better than Crysis 3, a great art direction goes a long way! really love the subtle use of depth of field, makes the game look really good!!

thanks for uploading madmax

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Just watched the linked video and i am fine with this being 1080/ 30 locked. Especially this being a launch title. i am more interested on how the story will be told. Hoping for a Helghan timeline or side story.

farisr

here's link to the vid

Ah, so it's the same gameplay demo that GG put up in 1080p, the one with the framerate problems. I have no idea what GG did, whether it was framerate in the game or they were having capturing problems, if you were to look and analyze this version, the framerate would actually average overall around 21 fps. The hanging by a rope part at the end fares the best in terms of framerate in this vid.

The Digital Foundry analysis was done on the live stream version and the facebook upload done through the ps4 sharing function which pretty much does not hiccup framerate wise, so them determining its a constant 30fps using that video was fine (even the fallon demo was smooth)

I am curious to know what could've caused the framerate problems present in the 2nd demo that GG put up themselves which wasn't done live. I really wish this video had a consistent framerate as the picture quality is much better than the first demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom