• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.
And I'd be OK with this too, if it was only the first time. Its one of the very first things I disable on PC and being able to play without walking through those screens every time does make a difference.

Good on Guerrilla and I hope other devs take notice.

jett

D-Member
tumblr_lvgoi7mkmp1qdlkgg.gif

Finally. Fuck all that bullshit.

We have Naughty Dog to thank for that :p.

Oh really? I sure have been waiting several minutes every time I boot up one of their games. Thankfully there's near-mandatory installs this time.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just want to post it because
NdkgKhTSMe

This is the most I've been impressed by smoke effects since Call of Duty 2.

The only bad thing about that moment, is that smoke from explosion is gone after 2 seconds... But this is video gaming, such things are too hardware intensive to happen.

Oh it is important. Anybody remember Crackdown? That game took ages to start up. A lot of gamers are impatient and I think it is pointless to show it to consumers. It is like advertising but to companies. Irrelevant to consumers unless they are fanboys.

antitrop

One of my favorite parts of KZ2. I would often leave it on the title screen to hear visari rumble. Such a good vo man..

You don't have to boot up the whole game, you could just load an LP on YouTube or something. :p

Save your disc-reading laser. I'm not even joking, PS3s weren't built to last. I still have my fatty that I got in 2006 that I've barely used and barely even works, anymore. I got through The Last of Us without it breaking by a miracle of science.

ElFly

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.

Gaf: truly a defense force for absolutely everything.

Jesus man, the only place for splash screens is in the credits.

This direction is absolutely fantastic for this industry. I'm thinking that footage of Yoshida jumping directly into the match from the homescreen was legit now. For instances like that, where the immediacy is a must have, this is fantastic news.

nictron

This is one of, if not my favorite announcements of the new generation. I don't mind seeing this crap once but every time I start up a game is just idiotic.

Bravo Guerilla, Bravo. You just made a sale.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Oh really? I sure have been waiting several minutes every time I boot up one of their games. Thankfully there's near-mandatory installs this time.
Was referring to no load times after the initial loading.

Playing from the HDD won't significantly decrease the loading time (judging by current gen). However on SSD it will.

Das-J

Law of the West
I truly hope this means that Sony is revising their policy and that everyone else will follow.

The amount of pre-game fluff that was mandated last generation was out of control!

Props to GG for leading the way.

jett

D-Member

You actually like splash screens? There are no words.

Was referring to no load times after the initial loading.

Playing from the HDD won't significantly decrease the loading time (judging by current gen). However on SSD it will.

The PSN version of TLOU loads much faster than the disc version.

Soygen

I am going to buy this game simply to support this "feature"!

Ok, I was going to buy it anyway, but I really hope this is going to become more popular.

Volcane

It's a pet peev of mine, having un-skippable start up logos (especially long ones like the THX one). So good news to me.

LCfiner

One of the things I'm looking forward to with next gen is a increased commitment to reduce waiting times to start a game or continue a game. it's gotten out of hand. too many logos, splash screen, loading times.

Seeing a high profile launch game take this approach is really gratifying. I hope more follow suit.

eoa-swam

The only bad thing about that moment, is that smoke from explosion is gone after 2 seconds... But this is video gaming, such things are too hardware intensive to happen.

I'd say that's more explosion 'dust' from the concrete (or whatever material it is) breaking apart suddenly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well, I have a brother with epilepsy and would think that kind of thing is important at least for the first time you put in the disc. Otherwise great news!

Beckx

It's worth noting this is how Nintendo-published games usually work right now. The Wonderful 101 goes straight to the game's intro (skippable with A) and the menu. No logos, credits, legal stuff. Same with Wind Waker, NSMBU, Wii Party U, etc.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
God Damn finally. I was just complaining about this in a thread I created the other day, and I found it incredulous how many people defended those dumb warnings and logos like they are some kind of life's necessity.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Let's not act like epilepsy warnings are bad.
Let's pop them up every time a game is paused and unpaused too, for 5 seconds, just in case that someone left the console running over night and forgot the warning they saw the last time they booted the game. The amount of those warnings on consoles is 100% BS. You don't get them every time your laptop wakes up from sleep, you don't get them every time you unlock your tablet or launch a game on it, why the hell would you get them every time you try do anything with another similar electronics device?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.
Upfront recognition for what though? It's rather hard to tell simply by a logo flashed at you before the game begins. Making people sit through a credit roll sequence isn't going to make them appreciate the work done any better than just letting them get into the game and appreciate that work directly.

Top Bottom