• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well done GG!

idPL6UexOVLH7.gif

Is that timothy oliphant?

E92 M3

x-men_2__clone_wars.gif

It's good that we are back to approaching the gold standard of just the game maam again.

Good job, Guerrilla.

Great game - I remember how there was no start-up screen what so ever.

I'm really impressed with the details that GG is thinking about -- tells me that game should be pretty damn awesome.

Love it.

I would be okay if they showed the splash screens the first time you start the game, but every other time afterwards they show no splash screens.

You actually like splash screens? There are no words.
I said that they have their place and that I feel companies should be recognized up front for their work.
Upfront recognition for what though? It's rather hard to tell simply by a logo flashed at you before the game begins. Making people sit through a credit roll sequence isn't going to make them appreciate the work done any better than just letting them get into the game and appreciate that work directly.
The only reason I know what Havok is is because of a splash screen.

KaiserBecks

Nosplash is a next gen feature now? Well, it's a great thing nevertheless. Splash screens are just annoying, especially when you're playing with friends online and switch games pretty often. I'm all for a seamless experience, very nice of them to actually consider this.

I said that they have their place and that I feel companies should be recognized up front for their work.

I bought their game, that should be enough recognition.

put the logos and warnings either on the box, in the manual, or if it's a digital download on the screen before I buy it.

done.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lots of middleware companies give you the option to pay them a bit more for a license that allows you not to show their logo before the game starts. I know Havok allows for this, and several games have taken advantage of it (I know UC2 and 3 did)

Nymphae

Banned
Guerrilla has completely eliminated in-game load times after an initial 30 seconds, and removed all logos and splash screens from the game's start-up routine.

Fuckin' eh.

Exactly, why the fuck do I care what tech was used to create the game? Do they tell me what kinds of cameras were used at the start of a movie? Save all that shit for the credits, if I care, I'll watch.

Lots of middleware companies give you the option to pay them a bit more for a license that allows you not to show their logo before the game starts. I know Havok allows for this, and several games have taken advantage of it (I know UC2 and 3 did)
So if a developer wants to do this, they just have to pony some more money? I hope most developers start doing this, need some cool cold openings.

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.
Seriously? There is space for them in the credits, along with everyone else. What about all the other fine folks who worked on your game? Why should Havok and Bink and Scaleform and such take precedence over everyone else? Hell, in many games you don't even see the director until the end credits.

Saving 10 to 20 seconds is not a selling point. I don't care either way and gamers need to stop being impatient.
Yeah, how dare they give us improvements?

Good. This should be done for all games. Since this will be my first ps4 game, I'm really looking forward to that first next gen boot up.

Thank fuck for that. Hope this is the beginning of a trend.

Although I wouldn't mind an epilepsy warning. I don't think every household is a gaming household, and new gamers come into the fold all the time. It doesn't hurt to have that warning there and it might even do some good.

Thats what I call next gen! That unskippable shit was annoying in Blops 2, coming from previous CoDs were you could skip those screens.

This passion by GG deserved a preorder! Wanted to wait till reviews, but this sealed it

Give it to me now and swim in money you derserve it gg

Huh. I figured that stuff was largely all something we'd just have forever. (Splash screens.) Interesting to think that it might not always be that way.

I like that 2 1/2 minute start time from the initial insertion of the disk to play. Downloading games to the harddrive has come a long way.

Valnen

No seizure warning? Time to skip on anti-epileptic medicine so we can sue GG!

Pretty sure everyone knows that if you suffer from epilepsy you might have a seizure when playing video games. If their legal department cleared this, I'm sure nobody would win a case against them. Especially if there's a warning on the box.

pottuvoi

Banned
Although I wouldn't mind an epilepsy warning. I don't think every household is a gaming household, and new gamers come into the fold all the time. It doesn't hurt to have that warning there and it might even do some good.
Indeed.

I just hope that there would be a way to turn it off.
it's bloody annoying to get reminder of ones condition every time you try to relax with a game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
But tells you absolutely nothing about what role they played in the game and how significant it was. It's hamfisted, shotgun advertising and there's better ways to get name recognition out there without inconveniencing thousands of players.

Typical narrow minded consumer point of view. But I respect that you don't need to care.

put the logos and warnings either on the box, in the manual, or if it's a digital download on the screen before I buy it.

done.
That only ensures that nobody sees it.

If given that option and the company sees it as worth it, then I have no problem with it. It's their money and name.

They're recognized with my money. Now let me play the game.
Read my first response.

Seriously? There is space for them in the credits, along with everyone else. What about all the other fine folks who worked on your game? Why should Havok and Bink and Scaleform and such take precedence over everyone else? Hell, in many games you don't even see the director until the end credits.
Other fine folks get recognized in many games. Directors, composers, artists and other key people, just to name a few.

But tells you absolutely nothing about what role they played in the game and how significant it was. It's hamfisted, shotgun advertising and there's better ways to get name recognition out there without inconveniencing thousands of players.
It has to start with something. Would you rather them have a 20 minute infomercial to go along with their logo or simply let you know they exist so that you can look them up and find out about their contribution and services later?

DBT85

Advertising to people that aren't going to buy it no less.

hesido

Pretty sure everyone knows that if you suffer from epilepsy you might have a seizure when playing video games. If their legal department cleared this, I'm sure nobody would win a case against them. Especially if there's a warning on the box.

So you mean all those warnings we had to sit through were for nothing?! Damn!

Sure, they come up with this idea after they give our consoles a suspend mode. Pfffft. Could'a used this last gen, fellas.
Well, they tried last gen. When Killzone 2 came out you could immediately skip the Sony and Guerrilla logos and the intro cinematic. It was later patched (I think I recall reading that it was a Sony requirement), so that you can't skip the logos anymore, and it goes deeper into the cinematic before you can skip.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm fine with short splash screens, there's just been an awful lot of bloat this generation. Long animations, legal warnings, middleware companies, etc. Make them simple and to the point and I think everyone would be happy. I think ultimately it's a net positive if consumers are made aware of the developers.

hesido

No install? I'm confused. I thought that all Xbone and PS4 games needed to be installed ?

This has been explained numerous times, the installation will be transparent to the user. Bluray contents (only parts probably marked by the developer, though, some videos need not be installed for example) will be copied when the HDD is left idling. (So it's never idle until the game is installed).. It has also been mentioned that this could take a couple of hours (all the while you are playing, so it doesn't really matter)

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.

You are buying the product. Its pretty clear we know what we are getting into. I love it when movies just start and put you in the action aka The Dark Knight. There's no harm for that in a game. If anything, I rather see it in the middle of the game after the epilogue as they narrate the story, similar to Xmen: Clone Wars.

Its why you have credits in the end. That's where the recognition is. Its not about "typical narrow minded consumers" cause you're now just being absurd with those responses above.

Enjoy the 20 minute unskippable credits in Assassins Creed.

DJwest

This has been explained numerous times, the installation will be transparent to the user. Bluray contents (only parts probably marked by the developer, though, some videos need not be installed for example) will be copied when the HDD is left idling. (So it's never idle until the game is installed).. It has also been mentioned that this could take a couple of hours (all the while you are playing, so it doesn't really matter)
I see, thx for the clarification.

Top Bottom