• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

viveks86

No in-game load times, except the first one! God! It took a while for that to sink in! This means that if I suspend the game and switch the PS4 to low power state, I'd never see any loading screens for SP unless I switch to another game!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hell yes.

Assuming this helps a ton with jumping into a game from the OS dashboard into a friends game with ease.

Thank you GG!!! I hope this is the next gen trend because watching those splash screens again and again gets really tiring. Or they should just do it the first time you boot them and never again on the same machine.

I hope MP load times are improved from KZ2/KZ3 as they were atrocious.

mishakoz

Well, if I were developing a game, I would want my logo to show, even if it was just very quick, like a second. I'm glad the other warnings for epilepsy and this game will auto save are gone.

Well, if I were developing a game, I would want my logo to show, even if it was just very quick, like a second. I'm glad the other warnings for epilepsy and this game will auto save are gone.

Nah. I made a tiny little wiiware game and one of the best decisions we made was cutting straight to gameplay. The credits were then integrated into the opening play area as background assets.

Man I'm torn on this.

As a gamer, I certainly appreciate just jumping into it and getting passed everything. So my first thought was, cool!

As a game developer though, getting credit recognition was always a tricky thing. Often, we wouldn't even make the end credits. Plenty of times we would at least get a name recognition in the end credits. It was even nicer to get our individual names into the credits. The big one though was for us to get our logo into the front splash screens. It always felt like a big thing to see because no longer are you hidden in the end credits, but you get a tad bit of recognition up front. We're a smaller company so getting that recognition is a big deal for us. A lot of the projects we do we're not the primary developer despite doing significant contribution so having that upfront logo helps let other people know about us.

I think a reasonable compromise would be upon the first time booting up, you can show the logos but after it's detected a save file of an in progress game, bypass all of that and go straight to the main menu. That way both parties are happy.

Dibbz

Thank you GG!!! I hope this is the next gen trend because watching those splash screens again and again gets really tiring. Or they should just do it the first time you boot them and never again on the same machine.

I hope MP load times are improved from KZ2/KZ3 as they were atrocious.

Yes they were atrocious but judging from the opening at E3 it took Yoshida something like 7 seconds to go from XMB to into a server playing online. I hope it's as fast with the final game.

Man

I think a reasonable compromise would be upon the first time booting up, you can show the logos but after it's detected a save file of an in progress game, bypass all of that and go straight to the main menu. That way both parties are happy.
Developers can have their logo on the boxart, in the credits and in the making-of videos.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It has to start with something. Would you rather them have a 20 minute infomercial to go along with their logo or simply let you know they exist so that you can look them up and find out about their contribution and services later?
Why can't it start with a simple option from the menu screen with a "Made Possible By" option in addition to the traditional credits? At least then you know that the people that come looking for information about a company like Havok were genuinely interested in the first place, not just possibly coming to the site simply to file a complaint about how many times they've had to sit through watching their logo for every game they've played.

Better yet, these new consoles have very dynamic game launch/splash pages in the actual OS interface. Do this stuff there.

The Goat

Man I'm torn on this.

As a gamer, I certainly appreciate just jumping into it and getting passed everything. So my first thought was, cool!

As a game developer though, getting credit recognition was always a tricky thing. Often, we wouldn't even make the end credits. Plenty of times we would at least get a name recognition in the end credits. It was even nicer to get our individual names into the credits. The big one though was for us to get our logo into the front splash screens. It always felt like a big thing to see because no longer are you hidden in the end credits, but you get a tad bit of recognition up front. We're a smaller company so getting that recognition is a big deal for us. A lot of the projects we do we're not the primary developer despite doing significant contribution so having that upfront logo helps let other people know about us.

So why should 3rd parties get intro billing, but not the devs themselves? Getting gamers into what they want, the game, as fast as possible should be everyone's top priority.

Kade

With Nintendo taking the first step it hopefully WILL be normal.

Fixed.

They've been doing it for the past 3 years. The no loading times thing for even longer. Granted Nintendo and Sony/Guerrilla are for all intents and purposes going after different audiences and markets, it's good to see it catch on and like I said previously, hopefully it becomes an industry-wide trend. It's just false to attribute Guerrilla or Sony as the originators of these two things in particular when others have been doing it as shown by some other posts in the thread. It's probably one of the handful of things Nintendo is actually doing right.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Love all the fist pumping and people acting like its a next gen feature. Nintendo games have been doing it for years.

Developers can have their logo on the boxart, in the credits and in the making-of videos.

Box art has extremely limited real estate so it's less likely for other companies to get on there. With credits, like I said, the exposure isn't as good. Removing the front logo is really putting our exposure in the back to where people don't see it.

When did Killzone: Shadow Fall suddenly become the game that could do no wrong. These past couple of days it has been winning my heart with every new piece of info, every trailer, every preview and every video of gameplay footage.

Good going Guerilla.

kpaadet

Fixed.

They've been doing it for the past 3 years. The no loading times thing for even longer. Granted Nintendo and Sony/Guerrilla are for all intents and purposes going after different audiences and markets, it's good to see it catch on and like I said previously, hopefully it becomes an industry-wide trend. It's just false to attribute Guerrilla or Sony as the originators of these two things in particular when others have been doing it as shown by some other posts in the thread. It's probably one of the handful of things Nintendo is actually doing right.

Its a great trend indeed, now if only Nintendo could get rid of their super long and slow tutorials that treats you like you never played a video game before.

Saving 10 to 20 seconds is not a selling point. I don't care either way and gamers need to stop being impatient.
It's not 10 to 20 seconds.

It's usually way more, can't be easily skipped (or at all) and you have to go through it every time you want to play. It's extremely annoying these days and games that allow you to go in-game as fast as possible get extra points from me.

It's the equivalent of non-skippable 30+ seconds ads in video sites, except you already paid for the game.

This is cool. Nothing irks me more than when I start a game, I have to see all those screens every single time. NBA 2K does this the worst and so does GTA

I love it, yeah, we should see it the first time we load it, then maybe during credits.

At least this way, we see all those logos when we beat the game. This should be interesting. I will assume the first minute or so of the game is a movie, and the game is loading during the movie.

Otherwise, we would stare at a black screen for 2 and a half minutes.

viveks86

Saving 10 to 20 seconds is not a selling point. I don't care either way and gamers need to stop being impatient.

It's typically more than 10-20 seconds. Also, the lesser time people spend waiting around, the more interested they would be in squeezing in a quick 5-10 minute game during free time. It's like waiting for a slow website to load for a minute. Even though it's not long in the grand scheme of things, a lot of people will simply avoid it when they are looking for a quickie. Instant gratification is always a major selling point, regardless of product.

darkpower

Banned
Man I'm torn on this.

I'm in the same boat. I think it's fine if they don't waste your time and are giving credit where they should, and they serve their purpose. It's fine to do CYA and give props, but when you have two minutes worth, then you run into problems because you know what you're getting into, you have a feeling there is SOME well known game engine at work to bring you the game.

Thing is, there are a few factors at work here. For one, the seizure warnings have become a standard since the Wipeout HD thing, where Sony had to delay the game after the fail of its epilepsy test was blown way out of proportion (and remember how much the media hated ANYTHING PS3 at the time). They put it in there because there could've been something relative to that specific game that wasn't in most other games. Think of a game like Beat Hazard compared to a game like Uncharted. You NEED that warning in Beat Hazard because that game has intense flashing lights that isn't really found in most other games. Yeah, after a while, it can get annoying when most games don't have those kinds of sequences, but if you're game is going to look like the Breaking Dawn birthing scene (or, even worse, Porygon's comeback), then yeah, you BETTER put that in, unskippable, because of what's in you specific game. Now, something like Uncharted, with realistic graphics, then you might get away with that. After the first time, though, you might be fine having the opportunity to skip the stuff.

Now, as for dev recognition, I don't feel as though some posters on NeoGAF know, or for that matter care, what goes into making a game. Things like dev costs and resources, time, QA, play testing, all of that. It has to come from SOMEWHERE. Yeah, you can put that into the credits at the end and you'll be fine for the most part, but if it doesn't take away from the experience and the game is loading in the background of that and it's someone of importance that is making the game I play possible, then yeah, I'm fine with it because they SHOULD get some recognition in a prominent way, especially for indie titles because the studio should want to let you know who was responsible because they want to get noticed. Triple A titles, maybe you can pass on it to some degree, but if you have people bitching when an indie title wants to get the name of their studio out there, then you run into problems because...how else are they supposed to get their name out there? And when we talk about credits, you have to factor in who watches credits, who appreciates the time they take making that game you just played, and who even finishes the games they play (I have a ton of games on Steam I've yet to finish).

Of course, I don't mean to insult people here, but I don't think people really concern themselves with how much work goes into making games as much as they probably should. I was watching the end credits to GTA5, and good LORD, that took nearly a half hour to complete the credit roll. Not because it was a slow roll or anything like that, but because of the sheer amount of people that were needed to make that game.

Finally, when we talk about logos, keep in mind about how cinematic some games are now. What do you see when you start watching a movie? Probably the distributor's logo, then the production company's logo(s), etc. We have seen those in movies for YEARS without much prominent complaint. And some of those logos have pretty cool looking animations (take Disney and Universal, for example) that actually have their own fans.

But yeah, I'm also on the fence because at SOME point, you just want to play the bloody game, but at the same time, you want to make sure you're not going to get sued, you want to make sure that people know if there's something that's in YOUR game that might be a problem that they might NOT be expecting, and devs still need to be recognized somehow for their hard work that goes into making a game.

Wow, apparently I'm in the minority for not having a strong opinion about epilepsy warnings or splash screens. Didn't realize this was this big of an issue?

How will people see the games "epilepsy warning" in time before they start playing?

Game most likely won't have a physical manual with said warning, and unless its mention on the box, they have to be already playing said game before they can see the warning. :p

They're risking a heavy law suit here if someone suffers from a epilepsy. :p

kpaadet

How will people see the games "epilepsy warning" in time before they start playing?

Game most likely won't have a physical manual with said warning, and unless its mention on the box, they have to be already playing said game before they can see the warning. :p

Couldn't they get around that by putting a manual with the PS4 saying every game can trigger epilepsy?

Eusis

Well, the later GC/GBA games introduced it, but then the Wii/DS started with it while the games lacked it, then the moved it to an information title entirely. It may well be they do the same here, though they technically did the latter then stuck on the former ANYWAY for PS3/Vita. Maybe Guerrila Games convinced them that was being too paranoid.

And I actually don't mind AS much if I'm allowed to skip the logos, but I think fewer and fewer were actually allowing that!
Couldn't they get around that by putting a manual with the PS4 saying every game can trigger epilepsy?
That actually hadn't been enough to stop Nintendo from being sued. And they were doing it since the SNES.

Iacobellis

No in-game load times, except the first one! God! It took a while for that to sink in! This means that if I suspend the game and switch the PS4 to low power state, I'd never see any loading screens for SP unless I switch to another game!

So is the single player one big world a la Tony Hawk's Project 8?

First scene of the game:

Battle raging across a space port dock

bullets can be heard wizzing by followed by a loud explosion.

You awake to a fuzzy light colored screen, screen wobbly, you hear a voice call out to you:

"Soldier! Get on your feet! There is a war to fight!....unless you have epilepsy and are prone to seizures due to excessive colors and light flashing in which case you should consult a doctor and stop playing the game immediately....NOW GET OUT THERE AND TAKE THAT POSITION!! PEW PEW PEW"
Member status for this guy stat lol. That shit would be hilarious.

AFAIK so many games did it to mask loading times. If loading times are no longer an issue, they don't need the splash screens to artificially hide them.

Oppo

There are a few other games that have managed this. I believe the GTAs and Infamous just boot right to the game.

There are a few other games that have managed this. I believe the GTAs and Infamous just boot right to the game.

GTA still has logos that you sit through. What Guerrilla is talking about is that when you startup SF it sends you directly to the menu. You don't have to sit through any company logos.

test_account

XP-39C²
Great news! :) The Call of Duty games did this pretty well in this generation. It was possible to boot directly into the multiplayer, and also to skip the logos in the begining by pressing a button on the controller.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution opening intro credits:

14607aef62eec57e3e2717b70d00330a.jpg

I'm saying there are games that honor the key creators and I love it when games do this. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they did this every time the game booted up. Make it skippable after a few seconds after the first time of course.

Why can't it start with a simple option from the menu screen with a "Made Possible By" option in addition to the traditional credits? At least then you know that the people that come looking for information about a company like Havok were genuinely interested in the first place, not just possibly coming to the site simply to file a complaint about how many times they've had to sit through watching their logo for every game they've played.

Better yet, these new consoles have very dynamic game launch/splash pages in the actual OS interface. Do this stuff there.
Those actually aren't bad ideas.

I just don't mind the splash screen and I understand why it's there is all I'm saying. They're usually skippable after a second or two, allowing you to not "suffer" though them but still allowing the company to imprint their name into your head. A second is really all it takes.

The only one I can remember annoying me recently was Rockstar's from Red Dead Redemption and to a lesser extent, GTAV. There is no need to show the same logo (with a different color) twice just because it's from a portion of the company that happens to be on a different continant from the main hub. That's just obnoxious. If you HAVE to show them both, do it at the same time on the same screen and be done with it. Also, they aren't skippable as far as I remember.

Top Bottom