• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King County Sheriff Detective Pulls Gun on Motorcyclist During Traffic Stop

cdyhybrid

"I'm the Police": Video Shows King County Sheriff's Detective Pulling Gun on Motorcyclist During Traffic Stop

Alex Randall, a motorcyclist known as Squid Tips on YouTube, posted a video on Monday afternoon reportedly showing a plain-clothes King County Sheriff's detective pointing a gun at him during a traffic stop on August 16.

King County Sheriff John Urquhart responded to the video on Facebook, where he said that he was "deeply disturbed with the conduct and tactics" he observed and that he had ordered that the detective be placed on administrative leave as of this morning pending an investigation.

It's unclear what preceded the stop, but the three-minute video appears to show the detective approaching Randall from behind without warning, and with his gun already drawn and pointed at the motorcyclist.

For reference, Seattle is in King County

Video: https://youtu.be/YSNb6NPoCy0

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What a thug, rolling up with a gun drawn on a civilian. Must make that piece of shit feel like a badass.

F34R

Wow... hopefully he's fired at least.

Didn't identify himself until AFTER pulling a gun on someone, and taking their wallet. smh

Jesus christ man.

Why do you have a gun on me?

Cause im the police, thats right!

How do these kinds of videos NOT get Nationwide coverage??? If police acted like this in The Netherlands this "cop" would be out on his ass and serving a sentence!

This shit infuriates me

g11

I'm not 100% sure I believe that guy wasn't actually driving aggressively or speeding (whether or not he hit 100mph) but even if all that's true, there's NOOO need for the officer to approach him with the fucking gun drawn.

"He's speeding..lemme get my gun."

Shit happens

XS5LK.gif

bounchfx

I still can't get over the fact that police are more lax on their bad eggs than any other job. a position of power like that should come with far greater consequences if there is misconduct. they should lose their jobs immediately and not be trusted in any position of power henceforth. and shit like this? man... I don't wanna say jail time, but that's serious abuse of power and intimidation.

grown up children with guns
"im the police"

kmfdmpig

What's going to happen when we all lose trust in law enforcement?

I suspect that if people 20-45 were polled the support for police would be quite low, at least at this point I hope that would be the case as they have issues like this again and again and instead of trying to clean up the issues they more often than not circle the wagons and protect their own. When police put Punisher skulls on their cars, have "you're fucked" inscribed on their guns, and regularly abuse their powers it seems like a broken system to me.

Chris R

Detective should be fired no matter what.

IF the driver was driving in a reckless manner, apply the proper punishment for those crimes as well (no jail time, just suspend the licenses for a period and give him a fine)

JoeBoy101

One question from the cyclist on his video is why he was trying to hold the gun like he was hiding it. My take on it was he was trying to keep it at arm's length from the cyclist.

And that's the beginning and end of where I don't completely condemn the detective's actions here. That fucker walked up fully drawn and ready to go, with no siren, word, or otherwise before the gun was in his face. Then you have all the usual fuckitude surrounding it like him not caring about who was in the gun's background, not getting out of the street, not filing a report, etc and etc.

They want all the toys and badassery feeling of being a military force without any of the oversight, ROE's, or mission goals.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
One question from the cyclist on his video is why he was trying to hold the gun like he was hiding it. My take on it was he was trying to keep it at arm's length from the cyclist.

So other people driving by don't see it. That's the hold up and keep quiet position. Not joking either.

mackattk

How are we, as civilians, supposed to know who a plain clothes cop is compared to other people? I would have freaked out and probably got the hell out of there if someone in normal clothes came up to my car with a gun pulled out. There wasn't any lights or sirens on that undercover car. Dude turned around and saw a man with a gun pointed at him.

Holy fuck. Now imagine if the biker had responded more aggressively to a complete stranger in civilian clothes fucking sneaking up on him with a gun out. Cop would have probably shot him and would have gotten away with it. Hell, he'll probably get away with this. Too many police officers are dumb as hell.

Same people from the slam thread

Smh

What does this mean? Seems like a weird statement unrelated to this incident.

On topic, wow, that video is fucking scary. If some shabby looking dude with a gun appeared behind me? I think I'd just assume I'm about to die.

RPGCrazied

Administrative leave is so stupid. How about you just fire them? Maybe why cops do awful things to get free vacations with pay.

JeTmAn81

I expected another case of overblown GAF outrage but...this is pretty bad. Approaching someone out of nowhere with your gun pointed at them and no identification. Dude should be suspended at the very least.

PJV3

I'm always stunned watching cops in the US, they act like the country is an open prison and everything with a pulse is a threat.

And that's the beginning and end of where I don't completely condemn the detective's actions here. That fucker walked up fully drawn and ready to go, with no siren, word, or otherwise before the gun was in his face. Then you have all the usual fuckitude surrounding it like him not caring about who was in the gun's background, not getting out of the street, not filing a report, etc and etc.

They want all the toys and badassery feeling of being a military force without any of the oversight, ROE's, or mission goals.

Honestly the way he's holding it close to his chest like that looks more to me like he's trying to hide it from view of the majority of people around. Which I'd also assume is because he knows he's not supposed to be doing this shit.

I'm always stunned watching cops in the US, they act like the country is an open prison and everything with a pulse is a threat.

Right? Pretty sure this happening in Austria would lead to the officer being out of a job at least. Instantly.

SigSig

So from the motorcyclists perspective:
He's waiting at the traffic stop, when suddenly some guy pulls a gun on him, shouts at him (which the he can't really understand) then grabs his wallet. Yeah, real nice police work there, detective.

Trouble

Banned
Administrative leave is so stupid. How about you just fire them? Maybe why cops do awful things to get free vacations with pay.

In most cases they literally can't fire them without an investigation. Police are unionized and have contracts that prevent that.

Top Bottom