• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance to have huge battles w/ 100's of NPCs + major castle sieges

-SD-

Banned
You, as the player, will not be leading troops or anything like that. You'll be just one of the men on the battlefield.

http://www.onlysp.com/new-details-k...battles-castle-sieges-hundreds-npcs-involved/

I like the sound of that.

https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com

EDIT: Some interesting info in this Red Bull Games interview with Daniel Vávra: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331702920313/kingdom-come-deliverance-kickstarter-interview

- Game world will be a bit larger than originally planned with one extra location adding a few more km² into the explorable area
- 10-20 extra gameplay hours since the original plan (rough estimate)
- PlayStation 4 and Xbox One ports will run at 30fps.

EDIT: New info: http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/a...in-video-games-with-new-info-about-kc-d/21746

So today was published a very interesting article about sword fighting in video games and among other things there are a lot of information about KC: D because they interviewed Viktor Bocan, a lead combat designer from Warhorse. Unfortunately, it's in czech, so you can read it only in google translator.

Here are few interesting things from the article;

• They were considering for a long time implementation of a blocking system with determining directions of blocks before they decided rather to have just one-button blocking. "Obviously we thought about it a lot, but at the end we came to the conclusion that it's simply not fun. We don't want to make a medieval warrior simulator that would take 6 months for players to learn how to play." - Viktor Bocan
  • There will be stabbing. "Many games just resign on having this move because, let's be honest, it doesn't look very effective. There is no stabbing in The Witcher and in Dark souls only at certain places. We have stabbing fully implemented and many swordsmen who played KC:D praised it a lot." - Viktor
  • One of the problems with first person view in combat is that a player often think that an enemy is closer to him than he actually is. "In this case, we need to help the player and if he attack an enemy while being too far, we will "fix" a distance litle bit. It's not some false displacement, a character will just make one more step, it turned out to be neccesary." - Viktor
  • They consult many experts on medieval combat, but they have a problem that every expert has different opinon how realistic medieval combat should look. "When we do a new combat element based on advice of one medieval expert, the other one will tell us that it's completely wrong and that it is definitely not realistic. And when we change it according to him, then the first one doesn't agree..." - Viktor
  • Guy Windsor complimented their work. "He called us, complimented our game and told us to ask him anything if we want an advice. So we sent him an e-mail with about 200 questions." - Viktor
  • Very important will be your equipment and clothing. You need to adjust your clothing based on what you are going to do and that applies also on the right choice of weapons. "When you need to sneak into the village, you will take just a light armor and a knife. Into the battle, you will take chain mail and armor on it. Against a man with plate armor you have practicaly no chance with a sword and you need an axe or ideally a mace." - Viktor

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Thanks for sharing the link. We'll have a full length interview with the devs up soon.

But yea, I'm super excited to play Kingdom Come myself. Been waiting for a game like this since I was a kid. As much as I like being a force that can change the tide of a battle, I've always wanted to play a game where you feel very insignificant when it comes to larger events. And this seems like it'll scratch that itch. Can't wait to see what they show off this year in regards to combat and these battles.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Is the combat like Mount & Blade? Sounds like it could scratch that itch.

There might be some passing similarities, but from what we've heard and seen so far, it seems like Kingdom Come will have its own distinctive combat system. At the very least, KC is exclusively first-person (unless they decide to add TPV at some later point), whereas M&B built primarily around third-person.

KKRT00

Its known since then first day of the kickstarter campaign :)
There is even video with some prototype and in the first trailer there is fight with like 60 troops

Denton

I wonder how it will run on consoles. 100+ NPCs?

I am a bit sceptical about that too. I really really hope they will pull it off without having to downgrade PC version in the process.

Thanks for sharing the link. We'll have a full length interview with the devs up soon.

But yea, I'm super excited to play Kingdom Come myself. Been waiting for a game like this since I was a kid. As much as I like being a force that can change the tide of a battle, I've always wanted to play a game where you feel very insignificant when it comes to larger events. And this seems like it'll scratch that itch. Can't wait to see what they show off this year in regards to combat and these battles.

This game is in fact very...nontraditional. Hell, the first quest they made available in the tech alpha revolves around making a potion to cure a guy's diarrhea :D (and also find out who poisoned him).

There is btw a video showcasing the quest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=Mk2nHG9XsLQ

And few months ago there was a talk by lead dev about the game design and various problems they encountered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=emH7N-g33qQ&x-yt-cl=84503534

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how it will run on consoles. 100+ NPCs?

I think they'll manage to do it. Ubisoft did 3000 NPC's, although with very basic AI, so I think the devs will do it for consoles.

Mount&Blade laughs at these "features." (Bannerlord, where are you?!)

With such a focus on realism, I wonder how much fun KCD's epic battles will be to participate in - or if the player even has a choice. If they're dying and restarting every five minutes because a stray arrow hits them then I don't know what the appeal will be, aside from being some sort of VR-immersion sim.

Remember, folks: gamification isn't always a bad thing.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
I think they'll manage to do it. Ubisoft did 3000 NPC's, although with very basic AI, so I think the devs will do it for consoles.

In our interview with them, that's what they told us has been one of their biggest challenges thus far was the AI. Not that it's not coming along well, but they're doing some pretty sophisticated stuff from the sounds of it.

Corpekata

Banned
Need to be doing a lot more showing than telling with this game already. EA is still really basic and with how much they've promised I'm not exactly confident in the 2015 release window.

Denton

Need to be doing a lot more showing than telling with this game already. EA is still really basic and with how much they've promised I'm not exactly confident in the 2015 release window.

They already said the date is either Q4 2015 or early 2016. Personally I expect around april 2016. It is more ambitious than most AAA games while the team is smaller than most AAA games.
In any case though, they have already shown a lot more than pretty much any AAA dev has ever shown at this early stage of developement.

In our interview with them, that's what they told us has been one of their biggest challenges thus far was the AI. Not that it's not coming along well, but they're doing some pretty sophisticated stuff from the sounds of it.

After the talk by Vavra I linked above, there was another talk by lead technical designer Viktor Bocan who goes really deep into the AI stuff, sadly it is in Czech though. But yeah they are going for full behavioral trees and all that. It should be pretty impressive...if they manage to pull it off the way they plan.

HockeyDud

Neo Member

They have it planned to come out in Dec of this year. But first combat stuff is expected to arrive in the 0.4 or 0.5 versions of the tech alpha is what they told us.

Edit: The first of three parts is supposed to come out this Dec.

flozuki

Any information why they chose to leave fantasy elements out of the game? Are there any statistics that pinpoint to a market that is large enough for a game in a historical accurate and realistic setting?

Denton

Any information why they chose to leave fantasy elements out of the game? Are there any statistics that pinpoint to a market that is large enough for a game in a historical accurate and realistic setting?

Because there are around thousand fantasy games on the market and zero pure historical RPGs ?
They did actual extensive market research too (described in detail in one of the blog posts https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/blog ). Plus common sense, historical books are extremely popular, as are TV shows, movies etc..

Corpekata

Banned
They have it planned to come out in Dec of this year. But first combat stuff is expected to arrive in the 0.4 or 0.5 versions of the tech alpha is what they told us.

Edit: The first of three parts is supposed to come out this Dec.

I thought the "first part" is just the first game, the other two parts are sequels that are going to be made if this does well.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
I thought the "first part" is just the first game, the other two parts are sequels that are going to be made if this does well.

The first game is the first of three acts, according to Warhorse. Each act will be set in a different location, with new stories and all that is what they've said. I guess, if you want to term it, the game is somewhat episodic. I don't know if the other two entries are dependent on the first's success. I'll ask about that.

From the Kickstarter - Approx. gameplay time: 30 hours (Act 1), 70+ hours (all 3 acts)

Edit: Sent out the email to find out about this. Will update here when I hear back.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
The first game is the first of three acts, according to Warhorse. Each act will be set in a different location, with new stories and all that is what they've said. I guess, if you want to term it, the game is somewhat episodic. I don't know if the other two entries are dependent on the first's success. I'll ask about that.

From the Kickstarter - Approx. gameplay time: 30 hours (Act 1), 70+ hours (all 3 acts)

Edit: Sent out the email to find out about this. Will update here when I hear back.

Here's the response to the after-mentioned question about Acts 2 and 3 depending on the success of act 1

"The financial aspect is always important, not just because of the income, but because it’s a measurement of interest. If no one is buying or playing Act I, then what would be the reason to work on Act II? But we definitely hope for the best." - Jiří Rýdl

Couple more details here on how the story works - http://www.onlysp.com/act-kingdom-come-deliverance-self-contained-story/

Shengar

My complain with "Epic Battle" in openworld games is that the battle barely had 10 ten participants in a mess of brawl. I hope they can pull this right, either by the numbers of the NPC and the AI behavior.

-SD-

Banned
Is this new screenshot from a previously unseen location?

Source: https://twitter.com/WarhorseStudios/status/563742088450560000

b9lqcq7iuae2a922lajm.jpg

EDIT: New info: http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/a...in-video-games-with-new-info-about-kc-d/21746

So today was published a very interesting article about sword fighting in video games and among other things there are a lot of information about KC: D because they interviewed Viktor Bocan, a lead combat designer from Warhorse. Unfortunately, it's in czech, so you can read it only in google translator.

Here are few interesting things from the article;

• They were considering for a long time implementation of a blocking system with determining directions of blocks before they decided rather to have just one-button blocking. "Obviously we thought about it a lot, but at the end we came to the conclusion that it's simply not fun. We don't want to make a medieval warrior simulator that would take 6 months for players to learn how to play." - Viktor Bocan
  • There will be stabbing. "Many games just resign on having this move because, let's be honest, it doesn't look very effective. There is no stabbing in The Witcher and in Dark souls only at certain places. We have stabbing fully implemented and many swordsmen who played KC:D praised it a lot." - Viktor
  • One of the problems with first person view in combat is that a player often think that an enemy is closer to him than he actually is. "In this case, we need to help the player and if he attack an enemy while being too far, we will "fix" a distance litle bit. It's not some false displacement, a character will just make one more step, it turned out to be neccesary." - Viktor
  • They consult many experts on medieval combat, but they have a problem that every expert has different opinon how realistic medieval combat should look. "When we do a new combat element based on advice of one medieval expert, the other one will tell us that it's completely wrong and that it is definitely not realistic. And when we change it according to him, then the first one doesn't agree..." - Viktor
  • Guy Windsor complimented their work. "He called us, complimented our game and told us to ask him anything if we want an advice. So we sent him an e-mail with about 200 questions." - Viktor
  • Very important will be your equipment and clothing. You need to adjust your clothing based on what you are going to do and that applies also on the right choice of weapons. "When you need to sneak into the village, you will take just a light armor and a knife. Into the battle, you will take chain mail and armor on it. Against a man with plate armor you have practicaly no chance with a sword and you need an axe or ideally a mace." - Viktor

There will be stabbing. "Many games just resign on having this move because, let's be honest, it doesn't look very effective. There is no stabbing in The Witcher and in Dark souls only at certain places. We have stabbing fully implemented and many swordsmen who played KC:D praised it a lot." - Viktor
By "stabbing" they must mean stealth kills or something, because both of those games very clearly have swords that inevitably do the stabby-stabby.

Top Bottom