• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was announced 4 years ago, let's recap the KH3 info/dev timeline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydelnae

I also think that the models are from KH3 promotional material, but not representative of the graphic quality of the actual game. I'm sure they have improved them, but they are also retouching the models so the final result looks better.

Kairi's 0.2 model looks closer to the updated medal than the original release, however I'd argue that there are slight differences.

In 0.2 she has really blue eyes as per the other games but now they look toned down, and slightly more purple? Her hair is now more rounded, I guess, but that might just be because the medal isn't be rendered in-game?
Her mouth is a bit different too but that might just be because of her actions in the cutscenes (they didn't show her that well in 0.2):

As for Sora, it looks like his hair has been dialled back a bit

Of course, it could just be the implementation of proper lighting but there has to be a reason why these 0.2 medals are getting updates that make them look different from 0.2 itself.

I could just be a mad man who is seeing changes that aren't really there, but I do think these models are from KHIII itself and not taken from 0.2.

I really thing they just touch the images up a little bit for the medals.

I also think that the models are from KH3 promotional material, but not representative of the graphic quality of the actual game. I'm sure they have improved them, but they are also retouching the models so the final result looks better.

Why would Sora with the KH II outfit be used to promote KH III? I mean, before we knew his look for KH III they used to do this but now we know his new look.

Why would Sora with the KH II outfit be used to promote KH III? I mean, before we knew his look for KH III they used to do this but now we know his new look.

Sora is in his KHII outfit to start KHIII, and most if not all of Olympus will be in that outfit. To have the model touched up for the game is important. It's then easy enough for them to call it "Sora from 0.2" despite there being differences. If they promote the start of the game, as they did in 2015, it would require Sora to be in his KHII outfit.

Ydelnae

Because that's the clothes he uses when the game starts and they make promotional models for every character in every outfit. I'm not saying that they are going to market the game using this model, but this one is the one that's going to appear in official promotional material that aludes to the game's prologue.

Sora is in his KHII outfit to start KHIII, and most if not all of Olympus will be in that outfit. To have the model touched up for the game is important. It's then easy enough for them to call it "Sora from 0.2" despite there being differences.

I know this is the case, but his main outfit is the one fron my avatar, any promotional material will be based on it imo.

Because that's the clothes he uses when the game starts and they make promotional models for every character in every outfit. I'm not saying that they are going to market the game using this model, but this one is the one that's going to appear in official promotional material that aludes to the game's prologue.

They didn't do this for Sora in KH II wearing his old outfits, or did they?

I know this is the case, but his main outfit is the one fron my avatar, any promotional material will be based on it imo.

VzAsQTY.png

????????

If they promote early game, then they have to promote KHII Sora.

Ydelnae

They didn't do this for Sora in KH II wearing his old outfits, or did they?

I think that I have guides for the game that uses an older Sora model with KH1 clothes for that portion of the game, but that case might be conflictive since Limit Form exists. But I think you misunderstood me, I'm not talking about promotional stuff like that's the model that is going to appear in posters, wallpapers and the website, it's just a model they have to make in case any official material needs to evoke the part of the game in which Sora uses his old clothes.

Just like, for example, they made an Atlantica Donald promotional model in case they had to use it as reference for official material. They do this with every model variation.

raven777

Yea it wouldn't be a big surprise if they had 2 renders shown for Sora, one with KH2 outfit and KH3 outfit. Something like official poster, key visual or cover art will probably just going to use the KH3 outfit.

Just like, for example, they made an Atlantica Donald promotional model in case they had to use it as reference for official material. They do this with every model variation.

I think these renders are used in the magazines spreads on the games. Would make sense if they were to advertise Olympus that they would use KHII Sora in order to remain accurate.

VzAsQTY.png

????????

If they promote early game, then they have to promote KHII Sora.

I think that I have guides for the game that uses an older Sora model with KH1 clothes for that portion of the game, but that case might be conflictive since Limit Form exists. But I think you misunderstood me, I'm not talking about promotional stuff like that's the model that is going to appear in posters, wallpapers and the website, it's just a model they have to make in case any official material needs to evoke the part of the game in which Sora uses his old clothes.

Yeah, surely if they show parts of the game he's supposed to be wearing his old clothes that exactly how he's gonna look. I was talk more about the marketing posters, artworks and etc.

Anyway, I hope the medals mean something.

Ray Down

Banned
Nomura announces another KH collection, they made the games that were just HD movies in the other collections are now playable!

4+ Years of development time doesn't seem unreasonable at all given this is a team coming off 3DS game development. I'm sure development for KH2.8 took up their time and some of their team as well.

I do find the "Lord Nomura" stuff a little childish though. Just because some people don't immediately take shots at him doesn't mean they're worshiping the dude.

Lnds500

What if Nomura has been watching Game of Thrones and got carried away when he made the "announcements in winter" trailer?

AnMnU6sGNOP84.webp
xD

goQ4bc8X0Lh6w.webp

I was gonna post this. I was hoping there would be some in depth talk about the game's mechanics this year. And if they're not ready to properly show it yet then this puts the release late 2018 at the earliest (which was expected).
Nomura usually gives the in depth talk about game mechanics in interviews, but he said he won't be there. I have no idea why he's skipping E3 despite being in LA though.

Mediking

Is it hard to cook up a cool trailer with anything substantial?

Sora and Kairi just walking and talking. Show a new world. Show some action. Say its coming 2018. Get a million views. Fans are happy.

Redanto

Nomura usually gives the in depth talk about game mechanics in interviews, but he said he won't be there. I have no idea why he's skipping E3 despite being in LA though.

Yeah you're right, I remember reading he will be at some concert(?). Oh well, "please be excited for more news at TGS where we'll announce an upcoming new world reveal at D23 and then feed you more news with an eyedropper". :p

TuXx

I was gonna post this. I was hoping there would be some in depth talk about the game's mechanics this year. And if they're not ready to properly show it yet then this puts the release late 2018 at the earliest (which was expected).

This is expected. If KH III is there then it would be just a trailer anyway.

Ah, thought as much.

A nice trailer breakdown would've been nice though. Tai coming in and talking about how development is progressing would've been great too.

Ray Down

Banned
Ah, thought as much.

A nice trailer breakdown would've been nice though. Tai coming in and talking about how development is progressing would've been great too.

They will answer that at the end of the trailer...in development.

Lnds500

So Nomura said that he might go to (one of) the LA concerts around March.

Do you plan on participating in the overseas performances?
TN: As many as I can. I want to go to Singapore. The LA performance is around the same time as E3, so there's a good chance I'll make it to that one too. I'm not sure about the others.

The LA concerts are

10/06 20:00
11/06 15:00
14/06 20:00

Has he confirmed that he is going recently? Cause it doesn't seem to conflict with Sony's (or Microsoft's) E3 conference. He could have attended E3 had he wanted to.

Maybe Yasue will be there?

(In which phase of denial am I into? :p )

The LA concerts are

Has he confirmed that he is going recently? Cause it doesn't seem to conflict with Sony's (or Microsoft's) E3 conference. He could have attended E3 had he wanted to.

Maybe they'll show the KH III at the concert.

Ydelnae

Has anyone posted this? KH3 is not even scheduled for any of Square's E3 events.

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/square-enix-presents-e3-2017-program-schedule

The schedule is not indicative of the final show and they have changed it in the past after new announcements, iirc. So it would not rule out KH3 from appearing at E3.

The LA concerts are

He said in the Dissidia stream that he won't attend E3, but he is going to another event around that time in LA, so most people assume that he is attending at least one of the concerts based on his previous words. Plans might have changed, though.

So can we have a discussion about what we think is going on with this game? I wanted to create a new thread just to discuss the current status and let it follow through e3, especially if it's not there but decided I should wait and put this in here since I'm new. I'll make a thread though if people think it should be.

What it means if it's not at e3 or one of the concerts at all? Where does this game stand? If it misses e3 again, people are going to be referring to it as versus 2. I know people do that now, but they do it jokingly. What kinds of problems is development having, are they similar problems to versus or entirely different problems? I assume since they're on a much easier engine, it should be different problems. Is Osaka still having trouble with hd and exponential growth in scope? Is it nomura being difficult to work with problems? Were there a whole bunch of production problems with Disney getting approval of things? There's potentially so many problems they're having with this game, but what stands out to you as being the biggest possible problems other than they announced too early?

Lnds500

So can we have a discussion about what we think is going on with this game? I wanted to create a new thread just to discuss the current status and let it follow through e3, especially if it's not there but decided I should wait and put this in here since I'm new. I'll make a thread though if people think it should be.

What it means if it's not at e3 or one of the concerts at all? Where does this game stand? If it misses e3 again, people are going to be referring to it as versus 2. I know people do that now, but they do it jokingly. What kinds of problems is development having, are they similar problems to versus or entirely different problems? I assume since they're on a much easier engine, it should be different problems. Is Osaka still having trouble with hd and exponential growth in scope? Is it nomura being difficult to work with problems? Were there a whole bunch of production problems with Disney getting approval of things? There's potentially so many problems they're having with this game, but what stands out to you as being the biggest possible problems other than they announced too early?

We should wait until after E3. Discussions really depend on whether the game will make an appearance and what state it's in. We'll know in a few days.

Mijdax

Banned
I have the feeling that Nomura actually just wants to draw some characters with weird clothing but somehow he got in this mess that people at square enix want him to lead a team in order to make the biggest games they have to offer in the company. Everyone is praising him and he does not even know why :D He just wants to draw belts

Square announced KH3 the same month that Naughty Dog released The Last of Us. Since then ND released a critically acclaimed and best selling sequel to Uncharted, is two months away from releasing a substantial side story to Uncharted, and already announced the sequel to TLoU.

Meanwhile Square cant bring themselves to finish the so called conclusion to a series that started in 2002 two gens ago.

JayEH

I have the feeling that Nomura actually just wants to draw some characters with weird clothing but somehow he got in this mess that people at square enix want him to lead a team in order to make the biggest games they have to offer in the company. Everyone is praising him and he does not even know why :D He just wants to draw belts

There probably is some truth to that honestly.

And since he's been working on handhelds for so long I think he doesn't really know he can't be changing the game drastically in scope like you could so easily on the PS2.

you are waiting one fucking year, confident that KH3 will be 100% at this years E3.
You are counting the days, knowing that this is the date that we will finally get a juicy new update and trailer for THE GAME. The E3 comes closer day by day and you're excitement can't be controlled anymore...
The wait for KH3 is giving you motivation during your tought days...because you know everything will get better.

all of that and now few days before E3 ...the dream is dead. 4 Years after its announcement and you have to super duper optimistic to expect this game at E3

the whole year for nothing

i feel like someone sucked my soul out

giphy.gif

sn00zer

So what are the chances they fix the weird plastic-y look of the the skin shaders? Donald and Goofy look real weird.

you are waiting one fucking year, confident that KH3 will be 100% at this years E3.
You are counting the days, knowing that this is the date that we will finally get a juicy new update and trailer for THE GAME. The E3 comes closer day by day and you're excitement can't be controlled anymore...
The wait for KH3 is giving you motivation during your tought days...because you know everything will get better.

all of that and now few days before E3 ...the dream is dead. 4 Years after its announcement and you have to super duper optimistic to expect this game at E3

the whole year for nothing

i feel like someone sucked my soul out

giphy.gif

Yes, then we do two weeks of self loathing and denial. What is wrong with this game? And then it's right back to the hype train. It has to be at D23. It just has to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom