• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III page for Xbox One removed from Japanese Xbox Site

Sölf

As others already wrote, I never really understood why it actually was announced for the Xbox in the first place. Unlike Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts has a story that is still ongoing and missing out on several games - even 2 main games - doesn't really help the player. Add to that that the Xbox is just not doing well in Japan... yeah, I can understand that decision.

FFXV has it being a standalone game working for it. While still a JRPG that don't do to hot on Xbox it isn't attached to other games in the series.

As an outsider to both franchises, I would have thought that Kingdom Hearts would have more appeal to the average person than Final Fantasy, due to the Disney stuff.

I would prefer if they got rid of the Xbox One version altogether, haha, but that's just me being selfish.

Strange attitude to have.

Sölf;215407618 said:
As others already wrote, I never really understood why it actually was announced for the Xbox in the first place. Unlike Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts has a story that is still ongoing and missing out on several games - even 2 main games - doesn't really help the player. Add to that that the Xbox is just not doing well in Japan... yeah, I can understand that decision.

KH is a worldwide franchise, so doing well in Japan isn't the only criteria for its platform choice. With that said, it was announced for the console before either of them were released. I think it's safe to say that Square was expecting the Xbox One to do much better than it is worldwide. That's why you've seen them pull back on Japanese support ever since the released of Type-0 HD.

Zedark

Seems like an expected move to remover the XBOX version is Japan: it's not going to sell anything noticeable there. I would be as tonische if they decided to cancel it everywhere: work is already under way, so there is no reason to stop now, since it will sell at least some reasonable percentage of total sales ww on XBOX one. If they added NX, then there is still no reason to cancel XBOX.

This is one of those Japan xbox things, nothing with regards to ww.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Surely PS4 versions of the collections must be in the works, Xbox who knows, they've been pretty reluctant to put 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8 on anything Xbox so far.

Tai yasue on Xbox One releases basically stated that KH3 will be easy to get into enough for Xbox players because you don't have to worry abou tthe story and just enjoy the disney worlds and gameplay.

Now that was just funny to hear cause even he could not justify it

Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the Xbox One makes 0 sense because of KH 2.8. Before 2.8 it was more like "Odd, but okay." Now it's just silly.
2.8 is exclusive to PS4, so any KH fan is going to need a PS4 to play KH 2.8.

Unless Square Enix plans on doing 2.9 KH complete collection for PS4 AND Xbox One, KH3 being on Xbone is a waste of money for Square and will probably do almost as bad as WiiU Mass Effect 3.

DMONKUMA

Not too surprised there won't be an Xbox version in Japan but everywhere else should probably still get an Xbox version of the game.

NX....I don't know just wouldn't bet too high on it getting it or not getting it.....but I think it's more of wishful thinking.

Lightning

Banned
This is not surprising. XBONE not getting KH2.8, FFXII international, FFVIIR, FFX HD etc are all very telling on what SE think right now. Ps4 are getting everything while the XBONE are only getting what was announced before the systems took off.

This and FFVII remake, is SE giving up on XBONE worldwide or just Japan?
I think we've actually known this since 2015 IIRC when they brought up that they had no games from their non-Eidos/IO studios etc planned for XB1 at a financial meeting.

mao2

Has there been any recent cases where a game has been announced for a system, but ultimately didn't come out to said system?
There are a number of titles originally announced for both PS3 and 360 in Japan but the 360 version got canned before release.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009259/20120912060/

Daisenryaku Perfect: Senjou no Hasha
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/36575462.html

Wet
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1229722_1124.html

Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
http://www.hmv.co.jp/news/article/1010190089/

Deft Beck

I think on the flipside, Kingdom Hearts has a little bit more/a little bit of a different appeal outside the usual JRPG target market.

Who can say how this does in English speaking territories as a Babby's First KH game, really. The Disney pull is not insignificant.

I would feel really, really sorry for anybody going into this as their first KH game, considering how the story isn't entirely straightforward or focused.

DKHF

I would feel really, really sorry for anybody going into this as their first KH game, considering how the story isn't entirely straightforward or focused.
Well they've said the game gets into the action fast so if they're playing through awesome Disney worlds pretty soon after the start I think they will be fine. It will also probably be the best KH gameplay wise since they've learned all the lessons from KH1 and 2 and experimented with different mechanics/elements in the handheld games so newcomers can enjoy that. I think there will be a lot to enjoy for people even if it's their first game, unless they really want to know the story and even then there will probably be some way of catching up within the game before playing.

ash_ag

Confused at people suggesting NX

What confuses you in particular? The alleged compatibility of a franchise starring major kids' characters with a Nintendo console? Or the possibility of a series with already four entries on Nintendo platforms returning there for one more?

Famassu

What confuses you in particular? The alleged compatibility of a franchise starring major kids' characters with a Nintendo console? Or the possibility of a series with already four entries on Nintendo platforms returning there for one more?
NX isn't going to be any kind of powerhouse if the leaks are true. It's doubtful whether NX can deliver the kind of performance needed for what is supposedly going to be a very hardware-pushing game on PS4 and Xbone.

Curious what the WW numbers will be for KH3 on Xbox with no prior releases. Feels like a make or break moment for future SE JRPGs on Xbox platforms.

I'm pretty sure it's long since "break", and it's only coming because they said it was before seeing how badly XBO would do.

ash_ag

NX isn't going to be any kind of powerhouse if the leaks are true. It's doubtful whether NX can deliver the kind of performance needed for what is supposedly going to be a very hardware-pushing game on PS4 and Xbone.

If it can do well with Breath of the Wild, I see no reason to believe it would have an issue with Kingdom Hearts III, even if it costed resolution or some of the special effects. Unreal Engine scales quite well.

I'm not necessarily saying it will make way to NX, but I wouldn't be confused or surprised if it did.

There are a number of titles originally announced for both PS3 and 360 in Japan but the 360 version got canned before release.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009259/20120912060/

Daisenryaku Perfect: Senjou no Hasha
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/36575462.html

Wet
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1229722_1124.html

Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
http://www.hmv.co.jp/news/article/1010190089/

Do we know of any situations where it has happened worldwide?

Deft Beck

Well they've said the game gets into the action fast so if they're playing through awesome Disney worlds pretty soon after the start I think they will be fine. It will also probably be the best KH gameplay wise since they've learned all the lessons from KH1 and 2 and experimented with different mechanics/elements in the handheld games so newcomers can enjoy that. I think there will be a lot to enjoy for people even if it's their first game, unless they really want to know the story and even then there will probably be some way of catching up within the game before playing.

There will probably be another codex.

I mean the nx port begging in every game thread isn't much better so I don't get it but whatever

It is much better. I mean, I can understand people wanting a game to come to their platform or being happy when a game is announced, even though portbegging can be annoying. But celebrating because a game is potentially cancelled on one platform ? That's totally bad, it's never understandable or okay.

I would prefer if they got rid of the Xbox One version altogether, haha, but that's just me being selfish. Still surprised that the Xbox One exists in Japan, though. Is Microsoft actually making money there? Because I would expect them to be losing money.

No, that's you acting like a childish fanboy.

They would literally lose money if they release it on XBO in Japan. Hell I expect the English version to sell like garbage on XBO. It would for sure sell better on NX than XBO if the NX could run it. And the NX is still a mystery.

It is much better. I mean, I can understand people wanting a game to come to their platform or being happy when a game is announced, even though portbegging can be annoying. But celebrating because a game is potentially cancelled on one platform ? That's totally bad, it's never understandable or okay.

There's a perfectly good reason to be glad if it is canceled on XBO: fewer resources wasted on that version and no need for any kind of "parity" concern. They can just get the PS4 version running as well as possible and focus on that.

I think wanting it canceled to make people upset is a dick move, but preferring it to be single-platform absolutely has merit.

bunkitz

Childish, possibly. Fanboy? Nah. I'm loyal to PlayStation, but not blindly. On one hand, having it on a single console will make it easier on the developer's part and allow the game to be better. My reasoning is just from a dumb "purist" kind of perspective, since the two numbered games were on the PlayStation 2, and each entry in the series has been on just one platform. Excluding the remastered versions. If the originals were on the Xbox, I would mostly be sad that I'll miss out if it became an Xbox One exclusive, but a part of me would be glad that it's "coming home."

That said, at the end of the day, the more people that get to play it and enjoy the game, the better. It's still a weird choice to have it on the Xbox, though.

Lebron

Makes sense from a business sense.

Still getting it for X1 here stateside, or on Scorpio if you can play it on that.

Even in NA, the PS4 to X1 sales ratio will be massive for Kingdom Hearts 3.

For people who own both Xbox One and PS4, who would honestly get it for Xbox One? Like everyone has said, many KH fans are entrenched in the PS ecosystem and role playing genre in general.

Looking back on it, the idea of a multi platform release doesn't even seem that financially savvy.

neptunes

The part where we don't know what the NX is or its technical capability.

It never really made much sense for a xbone version even before the launch of both consoles. They were hinging their bets on a seventh gen repeat and that didn't happen. At least the west will still get their sku.

Shin-chan

I bet Square is pissed at themselves for announcing this so fucking early. Not only do they have yet another drawn out development period from announcement to release (assuming this finally releases next year), which you'd assume both them and their fans want to avoid, but they're now locked into making an SKU which anyone could guess will bomb. If they'd kept it closer to their chest until further down the line they'd have been able to decide whether they thought an Xbox SKU would have actually been worthwhile.

gtj1092

Wouldn't the fanboys be the people begging for a game for a console that doesn't even exist. I mean who but a fanboy decides to buy a product without knowing anything about it?

Top Bottom