• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest (The Odd Gentlemen/Sierra) coming Fall 2015 - PS3/PS4/Xbox One/360/PC

I am totally not liking the new way its taken. The main guy looks like a dork.
I hate the 3D look I would rather it be hand drawn like the way they redid the NEW Monkey Island.
I hated it with a PASSION when Monkey Island went 3d ish and Sam and Max so MUCH that I refused to play them.

Sorry this is a no go for me and i was SOOOOO happy at this news but not anymore.

And how dare he take his hat off. Roberta almost looked like she was going to cry.

I hate the 3D look I would rather it be hand drawn like the way they redid the NEW Monkey Island.
I hated it with a PASSION when Monkey Island went 3d ish and Sam and Max so MUCH that I refused to play them.

Sorry this is a no go for me and i was SOOOOO happy at this news but not anymore.

And how dare he take his hat off. Roberta almost looked like she was going to cry.

I agree that Graham looked a little too clumsy and goofy, not serious enough. It was almost like Guybrush meets Graham

Vandole

I really don't like the way they made Graham look. It looks like Guybrush Threepwood playing medieval adventurer.

*edit* wow gotten beaten to that observation by a minute.

Salz01

I echo this sentiment that it should have been made like the monkey island remake on ps3. That still holds up well. What they are trying to do here makes everything look clunky. But it's a year away so hopefully it will look better.

I think the way I currently feel about the game is that this looks like a game I would love to play regardless, but I'm just nervous about the KQ name attached to it. That comes with a lot of expectations and responsibilities to live up to. I wish Roberta could have been more involved in coming up with ideas for the game. She is an essential ingredient in a KQ game. I do have some faith since the developer stated that KQ was his favorite game series, so I am sure he wants to get it right. It's going to be interesting to see how this game ends up turning out.

Miletius

I need to play the old King's Quest games, what's a good place to start?

Go to GOG, and buy the IV, V, and VI collection. I enjoyed I, II and III, but they are pretty different beasts. I'd consider everything starting V to really be amazing, in particular V, VI, and to some extent VII (which I replayed recently).

If you enjoyed those 3, then I'd go back and play the first ones. Continuity wise, they do all string together, but the connection isn't firm, so you and enjoy all of them without knowing very much backstory about the previous games.

Edit: I think Graham looks fine in the trailer. Personality wise, he was always kind of a guy who bumbled around and stumbled into the right things, with more than a few falls in the process. The visual characteristics fits his persona.

There's always at least one naysayer... Maybe you should call the devs up and offer them your services ��

I agree with the poster. The dragon looked pretty bad because the shadows didn't do the model justice.

1d1B8Ax.jpg

A little info on whether it is PnC or action adventure:

https://twitter.com/mattkorba/status/541115723725012992

so not PnC

inm8num2

A little info on whether it is PnC or action adventure:

https://twitter.com/mattkorba/status/541115723725012992

so not PnC

Haha exactly. "The essence of point and click with new feeling" reads like a shallow non-answer. I didn't expect a KQ financed by Activision to be a pure PnC for a variety of reasons, but I was kind of interested to see what the team is doing regardless. The trailer was probably an adventure purist's worst nightmare.

I guess the pointing and clicking will come in the form of QTEs...

SDCowboy

Why are people getting hung up on it not being pure PnC? Just make it so you walk up to an item and hit X instead. It doesn't change anything.

I'm a huge point and click adventure fan and I thought the trailer looked excellent. I'm really excited for the game and hope the new gameplay stays true to the original.

Arthea

Haha exactly. "The essence of point and click with new feeling" reads like a shallow non-answer. I didn't expect a KQ financed by Activision to be a pure PnC for a variety of reasons, but I was kind of interested to see what the team is doing regardless. The trailer was probably an adventure purist's worst nightmare.

I guess the pointing and clicking will come in the form of QTEs...

thanks for killing my last shreds of hope for this game! (><)

SDCowboy

I hope the game doesn't skimp on crazy deaths when we take a wrong step or use the wrong item. One of my favorite parts of KQ.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm kinda glad its not point and click. I grew up playing and loving King's Quest, but point+click is a little too niche nowadays. I wouldn't mind it, but I think the game will generally see a bigger audience with a more accessible gameplay style.

So long as its a great game on its own merits, I'm ok with it.

iosef

People bumming out about "not PnC" did not play 1, 2, 3, or 4, at least in their original forms.

OG King's Quest involved walking around the screen with the arrow keys and then typing in the command at the right location.

If you move Graham directly with the analog stick and then use buttons to do stuff this is in fact a return to form. KQ 1 and 2, at least, had "jump," "swim," and "duck" keybindings.

People bumming out about "not PnC" did not play 1, 2, 3, or 4, at least in their original forms.

OG King's Quest involved walking around the screen with the arrow keys and then typing in the command at the right location.

If you move Graham directly with the analog stick and then use buttons to do stuff this is in fact a return to form. KQ 1 and 2, at least, had "jump," "swim," and "duck" keybindings.
exactly and maaaaaaan was it hard figuring out what to do in those days :)

inm8num2

Why are people getting hung up on it not being pure PnC? Just make it so you walk up to an item and hit X instead. It doesn't change anything.

I don't think people mind using a controller. I guess here people use "point and click" to mean the kind of focus on logic or inventory puzzles that characterize adventure games.

But the guy's tweet is kind of hilarious, like a thin PR deflection. He'd be better off just saying that the game is a re imagining of KQ with action-adventure gameplay. Otherwise people may cling to that idea of this being a classic adventure game, setting it for disappointment and poor reception.

Boem

That's a bit dramatic. Roberta wasn't emotional because he took off that hat (which he did because he had to talk about how much she and her games meant to him, which he did immediately afterwards), she was emotional because they were celebrating her legacy. You can't blame the guy for being a bit nervous. He has done nothing but geeking out about replaying the old games, visiting Roberta at her home and showing her the game in recent weeks.

As for your other points: you're really missing out on some great adventure games. 2D isn't necessarily better than 3D - I'd say that the Monkey Island remakes (especially the first one) completely missed the mark about what made the original art so special. The original art was done by actual great artists like Steve Purcell and Peter Chan, guys who know how to set up a scene and work with color. The remake looked like somebody half-assed a copy of that in flash. You can tell they were under a lot of pressure with money/time, but man, I can't stand how the first one looks. The second remake is better because they listened to the criticism and stayed closer to the original art a bit more though.

The 3D Sam & Max and Monkey Island games were actually, for a large part, written by the people who wrote the original Lucasarts games. You shouldn't really ignore that. Especially the third Telltale Sam & Max season looks great at times - probably the closest they have gotten to the look of the original comics in any medium. You can criticize titles like this based on the writing or gameplay/puzzles, but purely disregarding them because they're using 3D models (which gives them a lot more freedom in animation and camera angles/movement, allowing them to do much more with their budget compared to a 2D title - something as good looking as Curse of Monkey Island isn't going to happen these days because it costs a ridiculous amount of money to make something like that look good) is just so weird to me. We're not in the 90s anymore, you can actually convey some pretty cool artstyles in 3D.

As for this game - very curious, will probably check it out. I was always more of a Lucasarts guy than a Sierra guy, but I always respected the titles for what they were. I'll give any new adventure game a chance, even if they're doing something a bit different with gameplay.

Boem

Does anyone actually know what the plot is going to be? I remember the guys talking about how it's about an older Graham telling a story about his past to his granddaughter. The trailer shows a lot of scenes that could be from the first game. It's been a while for me, but I recognize the dragon, his cave, the mirror that was found there and the well. Could just be nods, but it makes it seem like it's retelling of the first game (which kind of goes against the narration, although they can extend it quite a bit as there isn't exactly a lot of plot in the first game).

Like I said earlier, I was never really a Sierra guy back in the day, but one thing that I always found really cool was how big the world seemed and how you basically decided where you wanted to go yourself. I hope they'll keep that, instead of turning it into a linear action adventure. I'm not expecting a Skyrim-sized world, but getting lost and deciding where you wanted to explore was kind of magic back in the day.

I don't think I've ever beaten a Sierra game though. I could handle (and liked) the death scenes, but the dead ends and obscure puzzle solutions where way to much to handle for me as a 8-year old non-English speaker. Just liked walking through the world and trying random stuff. My real passion began with the first Monkey Island. Still, pretty cool that it's coming back, and cautiously optimistic about it, depending on what they're actually going to do with it.

Perfect opportunity to let you guys know there is a free fan remade of the first 3 Kings Quest games by AGD Interactive from their website. Yep there is even a Quest for Glory 2 remake.

1EK4.png

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

• PnC Controls
  • Added story and fleshed-out characters
  • Changes to puzzles
  • Enhanced artwork and graphics to be more like Kings Quest 5 onwards
  • Remastered music
  • Added ambiance

By the way, every King's Quest fan should play the KQ I-III remakes, they are superb. They even got the original voice of King Graham from KQ V (Josh Mandel) to voice Graham!

Log4Girlz

This. It has that 80s cartoony feel to it, which considering the King's Quest games originated from that era(and I think half of the series actually came out during the 80s), doesn't feel wrong. Given the fantasical, whimsical feel, it's actually a fitting style.

Yeah its great...would love to see a Zelda in this kind of look.

*flees*

Much as I doubt Odd Gentlemen's including all the old death sequences and myriad ways to enter no-win scenarios (probably for the best, as they apparently make playing the older games a chore), I'm not going to assume the new game's a QTE adventure or something like what Telltale does. I'm not satisfied with the non-answer tweet either, but the trailer showed off set-pieces primarily, and KQ's always had those at some level, so it's likely the trailer's catering to the Game Awards viewers rather than us. Not a single look yet at the UI or catalog of regular actions players can take as Graham and people are jumping to conclusions already. My hope is that inventory puzzles in the vein of Williams' games are here to stay, with multiple solutions and medium challenge involved. Being able to select game progression settings (like starting from the beginning upon death or electing to continue from the last checkpoint) would expand the audience for this more.

sniperpon

What in the world...? Got like fifteen seconds into the trailer before I had to close the browser tab.

And people say they want a Final Fantasy VII reimagining... with the state of today's industry and its designers, be careful what you wish for.

looks amazing. When I was little, I'd watch my older brother play Kings Quest.

As I got older, I played several of them. I only beat Kings Quest IV. But damn, it was an amazing game.

javadoze

KiraXD

Kings%20Quest%201%20-%20Quest%20for%20the%20Crown_3.png

48937-roberta-williams-king-s-quest-vii-the-princeless-bride-windows.gif

Nostalgia's a powerful thing.

lol okay maybe not exactly... im more reminiscent of KQVI

gfs_29883_2_5.jpg

anyway.. my point being that it SHOULD have opted for a better cel-shaded look to give it an updated animation quality (if not outright just being updated hand drawn animation) rather than this quasi-cel-shaded look.

To be honest id rather have a KQ game done in the type of animation used in Curse of Monkey Island but higher resolution

800,600,1445_Bs3Zv.jpg

todofondosdejuegos-com_monkey%20island-11.jpg

Sciz

anyway.. my point being that it SHOULD have opted for a better cel-shaded look to give it an updated animation quality (if not outright just being updated hand drawn animation) rather than this quasi-cel-shaded look.

To be honest id rather have a KQ game done in the type of animation used in Curse of Monkey Island but higher resolution

That's a nice dream and all, but putting together thousands of hand drawn, high resolution animation cels tends to be outside the scope of an indie developer's budget.

quesalupa

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but I guess I will anyways. Trying to figure out which King's Quest I played when I was reaaaaly little. All I remember is that I think at one point you play as a blonde girl (princess?) and have to break out of a dungeon at one point. I really want to try it out again so I would be thankful for some help. Sorry, I know I barely have anything to go on.
Edit: Holy crap, this is the third time I've opened a page today.

Top Bottom