• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Quest (The Odd Gentlemen/Sierra) coming Fall 2015 - PS3/PS4/Xbox One/360/PC

Haunted

A weird mish mash of artstyles, not looking super hot. Didn't know this was going to be an action adventure with platforming either.

Main protagonist looks appropriately bumbly at least.

KiraXD

needs a better cel-shading renderer. (like whatever is used in Ni No Kuni... or Guilty Gear Xrd) as it is now looks pretty terrible.

For a game that got its charm from the artwork... this 3D look kills almost all of that... they really really needed to do better with the cel shading to make it look like animation rather than weird shiny 3D.

It seems a bit early to judge that, I'm guessing they felt that there's not really an exciting way to show someone solving a puzzle.

Yeah they still have time to impress, but as adventure game fan, I saw nothing really interesting in this trailer, unfortunately. When gameplay that is shown seem to be more focused on avoiding obstacles then anything else, you're really getting my attention for a very long time.

I feel pretty done with adventure games that are pretty, but are just linear straight paths without any challenge.

Damn, dem memories. I still have King Quest VII in the attic somewhere, used to play that game alot with my parents, especially mom.

KQ7box1.jpg

FUCK THAT SCORPION.

The Lamp

Never played or heard of this series until the Sierra award tonight. This trailer sold me. It looks so good. I love charming games like this!

FireCloud

Welcome back, King's Quest!

Amen to that! It's been so long since I've played a KQ game. Those were good times. Sometimes frustrating, but good nonetheless.

There just better be no f'kin whale tongue that you have to try to get across. Thinking about that still makes me mad.

E-phonk

Banned
Why are cross gen games still a thing.

So I can play this on my PS3 (since for a weird reason they didn't make a Wii U version - I would assume this kind of game fits/sells well on a nintendo console.). Might be the last game I buy on my PS3.

jimboton

Not really feeling this. I didn't expect it to be a point&click adventure game, but I was hoping for something that didn't seem like a slightly more expanded Dragons Lair at least.

If you take away the point&click puzzle solving, you have to replace it with something else interesting, and this trailer didn't show any signs of any interesting gameplay at all.

My thoughts as well. Going by that trailer it would seem this will play out as a linear series of scenes without any sort of exploration involved. Most of the interactions shown looked kinda canned and QTEish too.

Philippo

I never played ome of the old ones, but this one looked very promising last night.

But what type of game is? An adventure game? A puzzle one? Enlighten me please.

I never played ome of the old ones, but this one looked very promising last night.

But what type of game is? An adventure game? A puzzle one? Enlighten me please.

If you can't see what kind of game it is, and you don't have any expectations based on earlier titles in the series, then in what way is this very promising? :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Really sucks this isnt on either Vita, 3DS or Wii U. Can we hope to get ports down the line?

KooopaKid

Banned
I love the animations and overall artstyle. Reminds me of Zelda U. Never played a King's Quest game before, might be my first one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It looks nothing like the King's Quest I grew up with. :\

Definitely doesn't look like point and click gameplay. Looks actiony. :S

Oh well, hopefully that's all cutscenes, and it makes good on its IP.

needs a better cel-shading renderer. (like whatever is used in Ni No Kuni... or Guilty Gear Xrd) as it is now looks pretty terrible.

For a game that got its charm from the artwork... this 3D look kills almost all of that... they really really needed to do better with the cel shading to make it look like animation rather than weird shiny 3D.

There's always at least one naysayer... Maybe you should call the devs up and offer them your services 😐

It looks... Quite good I guess. One thing bothers me though is the shading on the characters. The shape of the shadows show they are well detailed but when the light hit them, these details never appear. It's hard to describe how it bothers me but it seems the threshold between shadowed and lighted in their toon shader is a bit off. It's nothing they can't fix or change by the time it launches though.

Anyway, it's good to see the license is back. I'll be there day one.

Loved King's Quest bit today's audience of "adventure games" are going to hate it. Today's "adventure games" are more interactive story telling devices. Pre modern day adventure games were difficult and progression often halted by abirtray puzzles. We will see the first case of flaming posts here from people purchasing Grim Fandango which has some really difficult parts.

Looks really nice.

I don't know anything about the old King's Quest games though other than hearing their name in passing, apparently reading this thread they were point and click adventures?

SkylineRKR

Yeah they were like Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc.

Kings Quest VII was awesome and I hoped the new one would look a bit like that and the MI remasters.

This looks to be more accessible and action oriented, but stil atmospheric.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Visually this could be great, but I think they need to make it a bit more consistent. If it was next-gen only there might be more scope to make it really look painterly. Some of the environments in the trailer don't quite sit well with the characters or something.

This could be cool, fingers crossed.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
I remember playing the old kings quest games on my friends Compaq computer....might have to try this just based on the nostalgia alone

It reminds me of TellTale's Game of Thrones.. flat and fuzzy.

Why did the developer take off the hat Roberta gave him? I was shocked when it happened.

EVIL

Why did the developer take off the hat Roberta gave him? I was shocked when it happened.
probably thought he would look silly, it was a shitty move, but at least he gave it to the girl.

Arthea

I'm really disappointed with a trailer, it didn't look like King's Quest at all for me, instead I had strong feeling I'm watching Telltale's game or something... Than again it's just a trailer, so I'll wait until I know more before making any kind of judgment.

I see I'm not alone, also it looked like QTE the game, Telltale style, but it's just a trailer, let's hope a game is nothing like that.

Reminds me on Don Bluth stuff, lovely artwork.

This. It has that 80s cartoony feel to it, which considering the King's Quest games originated from that era(and I think half of the series actually came out during the 80s), doesn't feel wrong. Given the fantasical, whimsical feel, it's actually a fitting style.

Yanksfan

I'm really disappointed with a trailer, it didn't look like King's Quest at all for me, instead I had strong feeling I'm watching Telltale's game or something... Than again it's just a trailer, so I'll wait until I know more before making any kind of judgment.

I see I'm not alone, also it looked like QTE the game, Telltale style, but it's just a trailer, let's hope a game is nothing like that.

I did not get a TT vibe at all. TT 'games' always appear to be stiff, where movements in this seemed more fluid and less scripted. I don't believe it is going to be a traditional PnC game, which I am fine with, but rather an attempt to finally succeed where KQ8 failed miserably in taking the series into the action/adventure genre.

Arthea

I did not get a TT vibe at all. TT 'games' always appear to be stiff, where movements in this seemed more fluid and less scripted. I don't believe it is going to be a traditional PnC game, which I am fine with, but rather an attempt to finally succeed where KQ8 failed miserably in taking the series into the action/adventure genre.

but you see, that's my problem, I don't want it to be action adventure, or Telltale style game, or puzzle platformer, I just wanted modern King's Quest (Quest for Glory too, actually), not like modern modern, but looking pretty by these days standards and playing nicely, still remaining a classical KQ game at it's core.

SDCowboy

So is this going to still be an adventure game with puzzles and such? Almost looked like an action game in the trailer.

Top Bottom