• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase on FFVII Remake:"You must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen"

sajj316

well .. if you took 13-2 and 13-3 .. time + resources .. maybe VII remake would have been made. However, I'm not sure if I trust VII with Kitase.

To be fair, yes it is. They re-use the engine the characters and lots of assets. Not saying they should keep it up, but it's clearly not as difficult as making a new game from the ground up.

I don't remember the sequels sharing that much assets?

A lot you say? There are a lot of iOS devices. It would also not need a big budget or many staff members.

He obviously isn't talking about a mobile port. But, that's exactly what we're going to get.

The battle system is too archaic. It will need to be redone.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about when I say every choice to change or not change something will piss some people off. I would want the battle/materia system to stay exactly how it was.

E-Jay

Honey Bee Inn, Cross-dressing scene, or that dolphin-jumping mini-game using Advent Children-style graphics.

Think about that for a second, people. How many here would seriously see that working?

How about this in Advent Children-style engine?

KCE9XcF.gif

LogicStep

I've always wanted a remake but I think I would prefer if they made a new game with the older FF titles as inspiration, as a base, for a new game. Instead of making more Lightning games, they should focus on what made the earlier games so great.

watershed

Banned
I don't think they should remake FF7. The original holds a mythic place is gaming and no remake could ever capture that same feeling. I think a remake (depending on how much is changed) would only expose the flaws of the game that nostalgia has mended over.

puzl

Banned
I don't even think it needs the full 3D remake treatment. I like the 2D pre-rendered backgrounds; I just wish they were more detailed and ultra-high res. Redraw them, spruce them up to 11 in widescreen etc..

The polygon-based models are where the real work needs to be done. Just make the characters look as close to the FF movies as possible, with full 3D for the battles like before, but 10000x more detailed. I don't even mind the cartoonish style player models against the pre-rendered backdrops of the original. Just get rid of the hooves for feet.

No need to change much in the way of gameplay. The battle system may be old, but it's still fun and people love it. Don't fix what doesn't need to be fixed etc..

Square Enix could save years and millions doing this. I think fans of the original would appreciate it more too, as I don't trust modern SE to do a faithful full-3D remake.

silenttwn

Can't they just remake it with re-done prerendered assets and stuff? Make it play with fixed perspectives, like the original. That's still time and money I know but at least it's not some massive production that'll never happen. I'd probably prefer that too.

the real marvel of ff7 is that it was 1997 japan corny. 2014 corny would destroy it completely.

That doesn't mean that when we see the ending of crisis core with the "my name is cloud, soldier, first class" you don't get goosebumps. But it means that when the game gets on the comedy department, it would simply not work.

And remaking it on the original style would be considered kiddy and not what "the fans" want (implying those fans who will bitch and whine).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fans will bitch and whine if they ever remake it. The game would make an enormous profit, regardless. But fans will bitch about any change, the art style used and even if they were to change nothing and somehow pick an art style that doesn't piss anybody off, then the fans will bitch that it was just a 1-to-1 port with high res textures.

SE's best move would be to make a game so awesome that fans stop asking for remakes of decades old games.

...lol

saher

Banned
just update the graphics like III and IV , that about the safest thing they can do. (even this will cost lot)

its impossible to do it on HD consoles without fucking it up,there are just many silly little things in the game that will look stupid in HD

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There is a legion of FFVII fanboys that would work for free on a remake with Square. Get people to telecommute.

"Alright Bob from Colorado sent us this new redesign of the 2nd Floor of the Reactor 5 dungeon and we got the updated electrical panel texture from Emily in Wisconsin."

Skilletor

Fans will bitch and whine if they ever remake it. The game would make an enormous profit, regardless. But fans will bitch about any change, the art style used and even if they were to change nothing and somehow pick an art style that doesn't piss anybody off, then the fans will bitch that it was just a 1-to-1 port with high res textures.

SE's best move would be to make a game so awesome that fans stop asking for remakes of decades old games.

...lol

What fans? The fans that keep saying FF6 is the best FF ever? 7? 9?

No game is going to satisfy every FF fan. They're all different and as a result the fanbase has extremely divisive opinions on each one.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There is a legion of FFVII fanboys that would work for free on a remake with Square. Get people to telecommute.

"Alright Bob from Colorado sent us this new redesign of the 2nd Floor of the Reactor 5 dungeon and we got the updated electrical panel texture from Emily in Wisconsin."

I know you're joking, but imagine if they licensed out remakes on limited basis? Hmmm. Sexy.

What fans? The fans that keep saying FF6 is the best FF ever? 7? 9?

No game is going to satisfy every FF fan. They're all different and as a result the fanbase has extremely divisive opinions on each one.

That is literally my point. Like, literally literal.

Jackano

Take a lot, Take a lot of what?

We all know he's talking about that damn hardware manufacturer who would need to moneyhat SquarEnix to death.
But they aren't clever enough to use the same technlogy as before (pre-rendered backgrounds) and will spent too many ressources to redo everything in full 3D.

Skilletor

I know you're joking, but imagine if they licensed out remakes on limited basis? Hmmm. Sexy.

That is literally my point. Like, literally literal.

Sorry, didn't pick up on that. Too many SE threads revolve around the joke that, "they can't make good games," that it's hard to pick up on the jokes. :)

Take a lot, Take a lot of what?

We all know he's talking about that damn hardware manufacturer who would need to moneyhat SquarEnix to death.
But they aren't clever enough to use the same technlogy as before (pre-rendered backgrounds) and will spent too many ressources to redo everything in full 3D.

I assume he means himself, physically, mentally, pride in the end product...all that stuff. It's one of the most famous, loved games ever. The stress of remaking something which so many have already idealized in their heads would be enormous, imo. Every single screenshot would be analyzed, researched, compared to the original. You'd have fans hating that something is changed, fans hating that something isn't changed enough. The size of the game would be huge. Overseeing all of that would be...just wow. I definitely understand where the man is coming from. You'd have to mentally ready yourself for the endeavor far before you even started.

I don't think he's talking about money at all.

Geez Kitase, can you just stop it with the FFVII talk and give us more Lightning. We don't have enough Lightning. She's a very popular character. Whenever she's not around all the gaf members ask, "Where's Lightning?"

I've been waiting for this to happen more than a decade.

Now reading this I realized that... I've finally let it go!

Don't touch this masterpiece SE, please just let it be.

-GOUKI-

I think SE is being stupid not making the game. If this was done a while ago it would sell millions. The more they wait, the less it sells.

Valnen

This

Final Fantasy VII 20th Anniversary Edition in 2017
Believe
Honestly, with the way SE moves these days, if they're not already working on it right now, don't expect it in the next decade. They're like the Valve/Blizzard of Japan with their development process it seems.

RedSwirl

A complete remake would probably have the same budget as a brand new numbered FF game, though that might be justified because it would be virtually guaranteed to sell a few million copies.

Even an "HD port" would cost considerably more than, say, FFX HD because basically none of FFVII's original assets are re-usable. All the CG and backgrounds would have to be completely re-done from nothing.

Cheerilee

Kitase said:
in order to remake Final Fantasy 7 to the quality of Final Fantasy 13 it would take three or four times longer than it took to develop [Final Fantasy 13]
That's why you don't even try to make a fully-realized 3D Midgar with the same apparent quality as "HD towns are hard" FFXIII.

FFXIII took a shortcut by putting the game on rails.

FFVII took a shortcut by making the game pre-rendered.

This was possible on PSone.

This was possible on PS2.

Just remake FFVII in HD and it can be drop dead gorgeous.

valtiel

Banned
At this point only Sony can convince them to make a remake. And offer their own staff to the project.

It doesn't have to be ff13 quality but retouched like tifas bootleg.

personally id be more than happy if they gave us the original psx versions of 7-9 on the ps4 with trophies and some touched up sprites and higher res. Would like a full remake just from a graphical point of view, but dont trust Square to do it justice, so best to leave alone

I believe you Kitase. Keep moving forward, not backward.
Given Square's stance regarding "moving forward" and how they still really are stuck in both the past and present(if you move forward, you can't stop for nearly a decade just to smell the crystal roses), I don't think true progression is Square's thing.

Progression, like change, is a contradiction to everything current Square stands for.

quickwhips

I think they should redo FF7 and FF13 as top down games like Final Fantasy 6. Wouldn't cost alot and probably would be pretty cool.

Arkage

Banned
Eventually they'll get financially desperate enough to devote massive resources to it, since suckers like me will buy it even when it inevitably turns out to be shit.

Top Bottom