• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kizuna (Wii) screens

Soule said:
I'll happily admit, despite having decent first impressions of the screens, I already written Kizuna off in my mind. Jaleco hardly filled me with confidence and having been revealed so close to the release date it gave me the impression this was getting rushed out as a half-hearted attempt to fill a void before someone else thinks of the idea...

But wow, the music, the artstyle, the website, the new screens, everything is really surpassing my expectations greatly. I really hope this continues to prove my initial impression wrong, it's really showing some promise.

A game not being hyped or revealed over 5 months before release shouldn't put you off like that.

(and to the 2nd bolded, I would call Opoona that. . . or afew other early Wii titles like RS. Not really something like this)

It looks very good, (which is AMAZING given that we are looking at scans from a mag. Direct feed made all the difference for something like Sonic unleashed Wii but thats not the case here) it sounds good ( love the music myself ), it has a unique art style (big plus), interesting dev pedigree ( according to IGN, between the 2 of them (the scenario writer and director/ programmer) Yoichi Kawaguchi and Miwa Shouda have worked on Final Fantasy XII, Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana, Little King Story and Dragon Quest VIII ).

I expect this to be a solid title. I simply want some vids and maybe some interviews (or atleast someone to translate the scans if theres more info in them) as well as a solid US release date.

Soule

Black-Wind said:
A game not being hyped or revealed over 5 months before release shouldn't put you off like that.

(and to the 2nd bolded, I would call Opoona that. . . or afew other early Wii titles like RS. Not really something like this)

It looks very good, (which is AMAZING given that we are looking at scans from a mag. Direct feed made all the difference for something like Sonic unleashed Wii but thats not the case here) it sounds good ( love the music myself ), it has a unique art style (big plus), interesting dev pedigree ( according to IGN, between the 2 of them (the scenario writer and director/ programmer) Yoichi Kawaguchi and Miwa Shouda have worked on Final Fantasy XII, Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana, Little King Story and Dragon Quest VIII ).

I expect this to be a solid title. I simply want some vids and maybe some interviews (or atleast someone to translate the scans if theres more info in them) as well as a solid US release date.

Opoona! yeah that's the kind of vibe I got from Kizuna initially. Looked semi-interesting but I didn't expect it to be anything to hold my attention nor sell decently. Obviously I've completely changed my opinion on it now but I still worry about how it'll sell.

2nd bold: Didn't know that, certainly makes helps me feel a bit more confident about the game :)

Soule said:
Opoona! yeah that's the kind of vibe I got from Kizuna initially. Looked semi-interesting but I didn't expect it to be anything to hold my attention nor sell decently. Obviously I've completely changed my opinion on it now but I still worry about how it'll sell.

2nd bold: Didn't know that, certainly makes helps me feel a bit more confident about the game :)
Why worry about how it's going to sell?

I would wait for vids, trailers or something (atleast a confirmation that this comes OUT of Japan and lands in the US) before worrying about that myself.:lol

TunaLover

yep, I try to ''save as'', but the site can't be found. If you have the time could you redirect it to another site please n.n

TunaLover said:
yep, I try to ''save as'', but the site can't be found. If you have the time could you redirect it to another site please n.n
I see. That's pretty weird indeed, as I can actually access each file myself, and there is no bandwitdth limit on the site I'm using...
Anyway, if you want to get these files but can't get access to them individually via my usual host, I put all the BGM I ripped so far in an archive (23.98MB), which I hosted somewhere else :

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/7e30bda68c_23.98MB

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=G9TDWMUU

Grecco

Probably been said before but it looks like the bastard son of SOTC and Segas Valkarye of the Batlefield

i like it

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Yeah, anyone who denies the boss battle shown has a really strong resemblance to SOTC is either deluding himself for some dumb reason or has never played it. And it's not just having huge bosses, I mean, look at that screen where the dude is climbing the boss' arm -sword in hand- to stab the weak point he previously scanned. Gee.

And there's no need to get all defensive because it's a good thing. Having big, interactive bosses is awesome and should happen more often in games.

Loving the super high res monster designs on the site, too. Have they been ripped/published somewhere before? Because if they were I just wasted 15 minutes figuring out how to extract the images and putting them together, haha.

Dobkeratops said:
Yeah, anyone who denies the boss battle shown has a really strong resemblance to SOTC is either deluding himself for some dumb reason or has never played it. And it's not just having huge bosses, I mean, look at that screen where the dude is climbing the boss' arm -sword in hand- to stab the weak point he previously scanned. Gee.

I don't think it's the fact that we see him on such bosses that people like myself are replying to, I think it's the fact that some people are trying to dub this a SoTC rip off of shorts simply because of huge Bosses when thats nothing new to games in general.

IMO the screens look more like a mix of the GoW2: Colossus of Rhodes fight/ SoTC and afew other games I remember having these huge bosses when it comes to fighting them. Still don't know exactly how the guy fights them but it looks mainly point-to-jump-to-a-place-on-his-body-after-he-attacks based.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Black-Wind said:
I don't think it's the fact that we see him on such bosses that people like myself are replying to, I think it's the fact that some people are trying to dub this a SoTC rip off of shorts simply because of huge Bosses when thats nothing new to games in general.

IMO the screens look more like a mix of the GoW2: Colossus of Rhodes fight/ SoTC and afew other games I remember having these huge bosses when it comes to fighting them. Still don't know exactly how the guy fights them but it looks mainly point-to-jump-to-a-place-on-his-body-after-he-attacks based.

But it's not because of the huge bosses alone. It's because some of those screenshots have a very particular combination of theme and setting that are very reminiscent of Ueda's game. I entered this thread knowing absolutely nothing about the game and the first thing that came to mind when seeing the pictures was "oh hey I did this in SotC". And I've been playing games with big monsters since way before the PS2 was made.

Don't call it a ripoff, say it's "taking inspiration from" or "paying homage" if you want, but that particular scene is much closer to SotC than to any other game I remember. Now, if all the physical interaction with the boss (climbing, hanging, running on him) is done through QTE then the GoW2 comparison will be suitable, although I hope that isn't the case :p

Now, likening the whole of Kizuna to SotC is an entirely different matter.

And boy, are these artworks big. Can't wait to see the red zombie thingy monster in action.

TunaLover

wow the intro theme is so charming yet cerebral, so epic yet inocent, really who is the composer, Jaleco seems pretty serious in the sound department.

Dobkeratops said:
But it's not because of the huge bosses alone. It's because some of those screenshots have a very particular combination of theme and setting that are very reminiscent of Ueda's game.
Theme and setting? If anything SoTC reminded me of a more muddy "LoTR" type feel were as this has a more "OKM+Dynasty Warriors" feel to the theme. I think they have very different feels and themes myself (it could be because this isn't as muddy looking as SoTC via the art direction but the art direction does effect the feel either way IMO).

And you are very much the only person I have seen that thinks "SoTC" for anything other than the bosses. The bosses seems to be the first and last thing people jump at and yell "SoTC rip off" for.

Also, can you direct me to these pics?

also. . .Meh, Im getting a "R&C devs are joyed to see Nintendo take inspiraction from their "Spherical worlds" idea with SMG! (the idea wasn't actually new. . . been in alot of games before R&C devs used it)" vibe here and I think thats what some other people have been feeling.

It's not the first game to have "huge bosses with a weak spot" nor was it the last. Like that guy who pointed out Contra or what Im about to point out- - -> Mischief Makers huge dragon boss who's fist you had to grab and throw.

I brang up GoW2 boss fight because thats the image I got when I saw him pop the boss in the eye. GoW 2 dealt with the "huge boss" in it's own QTE way, we don't know how this guy deals with huge bosses but I think it has alot to do with the pointer and jumping over the "SoTC like crawling" all over the thing.

Now, likening the whole of Kizuna to SotC is an entirely different matter.
As I and others said before, the "likening" begins and ends at boss size. . .but that drove into "is there any reason for ever game with big bosses to be compared to SoTC/ how are huge bosses a rip off of SoTC when XYZ games had huge bosses before it? Its nothing new".

But to get to why I came here. . . has anyone read this about the latest scans? This info is from the last scans and it's on "Wiifanboy"

The latest Famitsu scan of Jaleco's ARPG Ougon no Kizuna introduces some of the protagonists' traveling companions and other NPCs, who are basically a bunch of unremarkable fantasy-anime character designs, all decked out in some intricate robes. These are presumably the people with whom Lian attempts to form the "bonds of gold" referred to in the title.

But who cares about humans when there are awesome hulking monsters to look at? For example, this guy here, Lanbos, is a giant zombie monster who also seems to be inside-out. That is one creepy monster. Another boss shown in the scans, Argos, seems to be a huge, bipedal hippopotamus man.

The scans also show the cool-looking 3D world map, which reveals some Norse influence in the form of the world's name, "Midgardr."

Did someone here all ready translate the scans? I don't think soo. . . well, this was the first site I saw that talked about what was writen over just guwking at the pics. Just got a few names out of that and team mate characters.

WOW, I'm loving the music! :D

I listened to the Intro, Colossus, and currently Characters4.

The Intro is beautiful, and I love the Characters4 one also. Colossus is pretty good too!

It is funny that the composer(s?) are still a secret, it allows speculation for once in this area! How many games give us music samples, but not the name of the people doing them?!

The game really looks interesting, but the fact that it's a Wii game makes me question its quality. That ameks me sound very anti-Wii, and I am to a certain extent, but I really have trouble believing that a core Wii game won't completely disappoint.

Being a huge fan of SotC, I have to check this out, but... I'm tired of being disappointed in the Wii.

EDIT: Wow! I'm listening to the "Colossus" song, and wow wow wow! Beautiful!

So after a little bit of research, I could finally find the original names of each of the tracks I ripped in the first place (which are obviously a bit different than the name I gave them based mainly on the section of the map they were linked to...). I thought giving them back their original name would help give an even better idea of the places and situations these are used in, so there you go :
The correct names of each track are as follow (previously used names in parenthesis) :

Prologue
(Story)
Battle_Kazan (Huge boss 2)
Mist (Characters)
Ginyoushijin_Eiyuu - Bard Hero (Characters2)
Aina (characters 3)
Mamono_Gelard (characters4)
Mizunoshinden - Water Temple (Colossus)
Town1 (Misc2)
Town2 (Misc1)
Battle_Field (Misc3)
Hikarisasuniwa - Garden of the Shining Light (Intro)
Quest (Quest)
Nightmare (Demon)
Battle_Boss (huge boss)

I also took the liberty to give a translation to the Japanese names.
In addition, you might notice that I replaced each of the previous rips with way better quality samples, which I directly downloaded from the site. So...enjoy !

[edit] Archive with all the files :

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=U6J4FCJU

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Black-Wind said:
It's not the first game to have "huge bosses with a weak spot" nor was it the last.
Huge bosses with weak spots is a common mechanic. Huge bosses that you have to actively climb and hang on while they move around to stab the weak point you previously located is a much more specific gameplay mechanic, and at this moment I can't recall any more fitting matches than SotC.

I love me some Contra, but the closest you'd find to this would be Contra 4's
Harvest Yard, which takes place inside Black Viper... but it's ultimately just a static stage with an organic theme.

If this were as comparable to GoW2 as it is to SotC people would've mentioned the former. They didn't.

Aaand I've pretty much made my point here, any further discussion will only lead to redundant posts.

So here's the boss artworks shown in the site in case anyone cares

kizuna1.jpg

kizuna2.jpg

kizuna3.jpg

(resized for posting convenience)

Stormbringer said:

<3

Cult Hero

I hope it's good. This is the kind of game I want from third parties, not silly minigames party or ultraviolent games like manhunt.

samratty

Just listened to Water Temple (Colossus). It's ridiculously similar to something Kitaro would make.

Gonna download the rest of it now :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Dobkeratops said:
Huge bosses with weak spots is a common mechanic. Huge bosses that you have to actively climb and hang on while they move around to stab the weak point you previously located is a much more specific gameplay mechanic, and at this moment I can't recall any more fitting matches than SotC.

I love me some Contra, but the closest you'd find to this would be Contra 4's
Harvest Yard, which takes place inside Black Viper... but it's ultimately just a static stage with an organic theme.

If this were as comparable to GoW2 as it is to SotC people would've mentioned the former. They didn't.

Aaand I've pretty much made my point here, any further discussion will only lead to redundant posts.

So here's the boss artworks shown in the site in case anyone cares
it's been done since games like the oracle GBC Zelda games
the end boss of Oracle of Seasons ended as a dragon and you had to climb on top of him in order to get up close enough to swing your sword
. the only thing that SotC brought to the table was literal scale and a more realistic way in which to climb the beast. we have no idea of the battle mechanics, so it could be that the ultimate way in which to fight these beasts is fundamentally different. it also looks as the the game in general is fundamentally different since there seems to be further NPCs and towns and creatures that aren't the huge bosses.

JDSN said:
Yeah, I cant wait to climb in his swollen scrotum.
but there's no blatant male phallus. maybe it's a giant vagina o_O

Dobkeratops said:

it's been done since games like the oracle GBC Zelda games
the end boss of Oracle of Seasons ended as a dragon and you had to climb on top of him in order to get up close enough to swing your sword.
the only thing that SotC brought to the table was literal scale and a more realistic way in which to climb the beast. we have no idea of the battle mechanics, so it could be that the ultimate way in which to fight these beasts is fundamentally different. it also looks as the the game in general is fundamentally different since there seems to be further NPCs and towns and creatures that aren't the huge bosses.

Doomed said mostly what I was about to say.

We don't know if you "hang on and climb while they move around" with these bosses like in SoTC. From the scans I saw it seems that, on one page, they showed the steps you take to hit the weak spot and it was more "point to the elbow after you dodge his 2 fisted attack, jump there, than point to his shoulder, jump there, etc etc" as in, you don't have to take you time climbing around the enemy like in SoTC, you more so "chain jump" around it.

I wish someone would translate that page. . . but we don't know how the boss fighting works and any assumption is just that, a assumption at this point. All we know is "huge bosses". SoTC was uniqie in that the whole game was about you having to find a way on the boss so that you could climb all over it well hanging on and stabbing weak points well the boss walked around.
Thats clearly not the focus of this game and I don't see the boss fighting working the same.

Someone actually did point out that GoW2 had huge bosses, I simply pointed that out because thats one of the things I remembered. (Someone also brang up KH. . )

I also find this comparable to TP's
Sky Twilit Dragon Argorok
from the scans myself. People are only pointing out SoTC because thats the image they get from the size of the bosses. . .I don't think theres any known reason other than that seeing as we don't know how you fight them.

Your point seemed to have been that you think that the way these bosses are brung down are the same as SoTC with the "climbing/ hanging on" stuff, my point is that thats just a assumption on your's and other people's part so the only "comparable" thing is the boss size at this point. . . done?

Akai

doomed1 said:

Come on, it's obviously his stomach...You can even see the tan-colored pants underneath, so quit it with the perverted jokes... =\

jrricky

Banned
Stormbringer said:
So after a little bit of research, I could finally find the original names of each of the tracks I ripped in the first place (which are obviously a bit different than the name I gave them based mainly on the section of the map they were linked to...). I thought giving them back their original name would help give an even better idea of the places and situations these are used in, so there you go :
The correct names of each track are as follow (previously used names in parenthesis) :

Prologue
(Story)
Battle_Kazan (Huge boss 2)
Mist (Characters)
Ginyoushijin_Eiyuu - Bard Hero (Characters2)
Aina (characters 3)
Mamono_Gelard (characters4)
Mizunoshinden - Water Temple (Colossus)
Town1 (Misc2)
Town2 (Misc1)
Battle_Field (Misc3)
Hikarisasuniwa - Garden of the Shining Light (Intro)
Quest (Quest)
Nightmare (Demon)
Battle_Boss (huge boss)

I also took the liberty to give a translation to the Japanese names.
In addition, you might notice that I replaced each of the previous rips with way better quality samples, which I directly downloaded from the site. So...enjoy !

OMG, downloading NAO! <3

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Black-Wind said:
Your point seemed to have been that you think that the way these bosses are brung down are the same as SoTC with the "climbing/ hanging on" stuff, my point is that thats just a assumption on your's and other people's part so the only "comparable" thing is the boss size at this point. . . done?
I said before I was done with this pointless discussion.

:3

JDSN said:
Yeah, I cant wait to climb in his swollen scrotum.
doomed1 said:

Thanks for the mental imagery :/

I thought it looked like a butt

Good news GAF:

Thank you very much for writing us about Kizuna, we will definitely look into it.

Ken @ XSEED Games

Looks like they are interested in looking into bringing it over!

I of course asked about Shiren 3 myself:

Shiren 3 is a request that we've received before, but Shiren the Wanderer sold pretty poorly on the DS so it's very hard for us to justify bringing over the Wii version when we're likely to lose money on it.

Yeah, sadly the same answer that another user here got before. :'(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why is it that the good tracks end up looping the same part over and over? Please don't be like this in the final game :(

Vinnk

Well, I'm buying this. Even if the game sucks I just want to hear all the music. But so for to me at least, it looks like the game won't suck either.

Teaser/ad page from Famitsu (these are okay, right ?...) regarding this week's issue, which is apparently going to have even more details :

73511520080921_221800_0_big-1.jpg

Anyway, one rather notable thing this page tells us is that the game is apparently being developed, or at least co-developed, by Town Factory (Little King's Story,...) seeing as that's their logo, next to the Jaleco one. I guess many suspected that, given the involvement of some key LKS staff, but this confirmation is welcome.

Top Bottom