• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Death Stranding Had Stronger Criticism in the US, Possibly Because It Flies Above Shooters

Saruhashi

Banned
inteligent people play strategies, not walking sims with piss-poor anime story. Those cringy dialogs are the worst. Was it Kojima writing those? Because they sound like written by someone who doesn't know english.

Maybe people expected more than a boreing walking simulator. Just maybe.

What's the deal with these, low post count, Lego-eaters stinking up the Death Stranding threads?

Lads, stop munching on Bionicle for a moment and understand that no amount of tired and repetitive one liners is going to convince people who like the game that it's not a good game.

You really think you're going to school people on what makes a good video game while openly demonstrating how a steady diet of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene has adversely affected your own brain?

Quick, somebody quote that "Rick & Morty" thing but it's Death Stranding! Again! Just in case somebody missed it!

It's a walking simulator. *munch munch munch*
The game is just pressing L2 and R2. *munch munch munch*
It's the most boringest game ever on Playstation. *munch munch munch*
Fetch quests and base building aren't new! *munch munch munch*
Mommy, we are out of Lego so I'm just going to eat some crayons instead!

Last edited:

yugoluke

No Kojima. It is the same reason that blockbuster films that get critically shit on in the US do gangbusters internationally. I don't want to start anything but the idea that lack of fps mechanics is why it is reviewing bad is poor excuse.

Like no offence, can we stop giving companies and people passes because they did something great in the past. Both can be true, you made some good games in the past and this is not one of them. Kojima has always struck me as a person very insecure with the medium in which he works. To validate himself he surrounds himself with mainstream figures and implements novel ideas in the most pretentious way possible. Then when people call him out on it he cannot tolerate the criticism and ends up saying something stupid like this.

Mozza

All we need to do is look at the video games and movies that sell the most here to understand that yeah, Americans do tend to favor the more easily digestible stuff.

Or something that plays like a videogame and is fun. ;)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well one things for sure, I feel like some of the toxic reviews and reactions that are out there are out of hand, I feel like a lot of gamers have become incredibly toxic, and it's just getting worse. I mean, it's simple to just say you don't like the game, or rather just say nothing at all. I mean, don't even bother, why do so if it's something you don't like? But the amount of, "this guy sucks, everything he does is absolute shit, if you like this game you're stupid and a fanboy" were pretty damn embarrassing IMO. Especially when you know these are "adults" or anyone passed the age of 15. It's legit sad.

I've had a great time with Death Stranding personally, still thinking about Modern Warfare, however I know I'll still be putting more time into this over that. Primarily because I'm invested, I want to see how the story goes, and everything wraps. It's been on my mind nonstop, and as I've mentioned in another thread it's under my skin. I haven't thought about a game like this in a LONG time. It's a great feeling, and honestly it's pretty refreshing considering the type of game it is, especially as a AAA title of its magnitude. I'd also like to add, it does feel pretty damn refreshing to be playing a game that is mature but doesn't revolve around killing.

It's definitely a title that isn't for everyone, and that's the best way to describe it. But after investing 6 hours into the game, I've never experienced cumbersome controls, tedious this or that, etc. It all just flows really well IMO. I've been doing the primary objectives and tasks because I don't want to lose steam attempting to do everything else as I'm sure there's a ton.

Going back to what Kojima said, I don't know about saying it "flies higher than shooters", but yeah, I think there were a number of paths that were paved. Some that revolved around old Kojima fans that wanted to see him return to a stealth/action driven title, some that just wanted a new game with more immediate gratification elements like shooting or action, or people that just despise Kojima for whatever reason.

All in all, I respect the guy for doing a project that he wanted, the way the he saw it through to the end. So much so that he was prepared to see the divided reactions and opinions, but it didn't seem to phase him.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
For instance, In Italy, I can think of only one journalist who pushes politics all the time in his coverage, and he isn't exactly respected for that.
Curious now, since I have friends in the italian gaming press. Who?
I have better things to do with my time, which includes reading about philosophy, mathematics, politics, infrastructure, etc.
An yet you're wasting time on a gaming forum. Holy shit, how pretentious can you be?

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
when MGSV came out i got into a lot of discussions online with people who did not think Snake was a villain. i would explain he has this international army and get "having an army isn't bad" i would say he has a nuke and get "having a nuke isnt bad it's how we won WWII" it was funny cos all the criticisms were just bouncing off these people due to their US-centric view that if our country does it, it can't possibly be bad.

Kojima is saying a lot of things with him games. a good deal of those things fly over people's heads. look at MGSV reviews and how not a single "journalist" covered the geo political nature of the story. it was just about industry gossip "Fuck Konami" etc. they want an easy narrative, they don't want to think. DS might be a victim of "Is it a walking sim?" just because outrage gets clicks. then in 10 or so years someone who actually does their homework will put together a documentary or whatever and people will go "Oh, yeah...."

I can sympathize with the pressure they might be under to get their content out there and then to also get clicks on that content but, as you say, it really feels like they don't want to get into any kind of "debate" over these kinds of games.

Even just giving the game a chance seemed out of the question as I think many just see the opportunity to bring Kojima down a peg or two.
"Kojima thinks he knows videogames, I'll show him".

What Kojima should have done was said "actually, it;s a game about mental health". They would have been all over that shit.
(Massive LOL when Jim Sterling shat all over Hellblade only to backtrack big time when his buddies told him "No Jim, it's got a female main character and it's all about mental health". Fuckin clown.)

Maybe it's not the best situation in the world to have these 40, 50, 70, 100+ hour games being handed to reviewers with a deadline.
I do enjoy Death Stranding very much but if I was being asked to play it 8 hours a day for 2 weeks straight then that would alter my view quite a bit probably.

From that perspective I can see why a quick, fast and relatively painless gaming experience would be preferable to reviewers. With no systems to really learn or complexity to deal with the job just becomes much easier. "Gunplay feels responsive". "The game makes you feel like Spider-man". Etc.

Might be better if these outlets did like a first impressions thing for launch day/week and then a more in depth review down the line?

If you are a game developer and you know the game you are making is 50 to 70 hours long etc then why would you want to cram all of the systems and the action etc into the early parts of the game? Seems like it would make more sense to start slow and gradually open it up?

There's obviously a disconnect there when the dev is making a long form experience and the audience is saying "no I have 10 games in my backlog so I need to get this over with and go onto the next one".

I don't think that's necessarily an American thing but you can see it come up from time to time when American reviewers get their hands on JRPGs and the like and say things like "the game doesn't open up until the 10 hour mark". Well, of course. It's supposed to be a 50 hour game. I would expect a slow and steady build. Not "here is everything in the first hour now enjoy the next 49".

First person shooters, for example, are definitely just "pick up and play" but not every game needs to be like that and you have to be able to review a game according to what it is trying to achieve.

Digity

After spending some more time with it, I did experience some fun in Death Stumbling.

The story, however, is still utter shit.
giphy.gif
To be fair I’m just under 24 hours in and only now is the story starting to pick up and get really interesting.

Nothing in DS is that easy. Just you mentioning "base building" cleary shows you didn't do enough digging into the matter to participate in this discussion.
I have. Rain degrades things. Falling damages items. You spray shit to fix it. You avoid hitting rocks,falling etc... yes,still dull,boring gameplay delivering packages to holograms at its core.Spamming blood grenades at BTs(hyped in the teaser trailers as being epic) is laughably repetitive,easy,and awfully uninspiring gameplay

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I honestly think some people will criticize it because you aren't shooting someone within the first hour of gameplay. It isn't on the same "killing sim" switchboard like a lot of games are. If you think about it. Let's use the word "killing sim" for a minute. Wouldn't that annoy like 80-90% of the industry? If you told them that all they make are killing sims? I even find it annoying. I think the term "walking simulator" is a bit too much. Have you not played "Dear Esther" or a game that had little interaction with the environment? Even then, a simulator it is not. Its basically criticizing its game mechanics, which places 'treading ground over a rough environment" over "shoot to kill''. Let's kill, reload, get to next cutscene, shoot, kill, boss fight.

Honestly, Death Stranding has me thinking outside the box. I'm not trying to say I hate the traditional "kill the enemy" type of game. I'm not at all. I'm just thinking that its hitting a spot that game developers have been comfortable with. This whole "circle of violence" mindset. Its a new mentality for me and I'm personally enjoying Death Stranding.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I have. Rain degrades things. Falling damages items. You spray shit to fix it. You avoid hitting rocks,falling etc... yes,still dull,boring gameplay delivering packages to holograms at its core.Spamming blood grenades at BTs(hyped in the teaser trailers as being epic) is laughably repetitive,easy,and awfully uninspiring gameplay

Is there anything you liked about the game?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year

Equipment load decided how you can move, you have to plan accordingly.
You have to find the best route to lead from A to B.
Being attacked by MULEs can make you lose all your cargos, the game gives you enough possibilities to scout their location and take them out quietly. Or avoid them completly.
Collecting materials gives you the chance to build several things, making your runs easier and participate in a vast online community, that is completly unique in terms of helping and communicating with each other.

I hate how people word their hate for the game the way it sounds so one dimensional and stupid.
It's like saying "Man, GTA is only driving and shooting, so boring". That's just wrong.

This thread is proving him right.

I am absolutely baffled by the reviewers. everyone pretended as if its a tedious, excruciatingly punishing and bizarre game that many will reject out of frustration, but its as gamey as you can get. it's fun, its got combat, it got stealth, its walking is more engaging than zelda botw, uncharted 4 and journey combined. there are dozens of gameplay systems in place at any given point. the social aspect is the most innovative feature in a game since Demon Souls ten years ago.

It's perfectly ok to dislike a game. But the way these journalists talked about the game is embarrassing. fucking jaded cynical bastards. go play more gears 5 and cod reboots. same shit, different coat of paint.

i have had issues with journalists all gen. Metal Gear Survive, Destiny, Andromeda, Days Gone, AC Unity, The Last Guardian, Detroit. all fantastic games. most of them unique. all of them fun. but the critics love to hate play certain games. they love to jump on the bandwagon. andromeda and destiny had issues, but anyone who played those games instantly knew the combat was better than 99% of the games. in the case of andromeda, the class ME story and choice loop was there too. but nope, lets jump on the bandwagon and hate the game.

i think thats exactly what happened here. game obviously didnt click with critics. thats ok. but they knew there was something in the game. the element of fun that made Destiny so addictive. the heart that made The Last Guardian an instant classic. they all wanted to rate it low but simply couldnt because the game is a great game so they went on twitter to shit on the game, they went on podcasts to berate kojima, and they littered their reviews with qualifiers making mountain out of molehills. they poisoned the well as far as i am concerned. i seriously went in expecting a bullshit game that hates me. what i got was a fantastic game that keeps getting better every hour.
Its fun? Its got combat?
Is there anything you liked about the game?
The graphics. I look at how awesome a traditional MGS game with this engine would be.

Cleared_Hot

This comes down to one thing; I am a busy guy. I see a game and allllll the videos show you just running around delivering shit. The game takes over 60 hours to complete. Bro. I get an hour, two if I'm lucky, every couple days. I'm not wasting it on this fucking game. Plus all I've heard is that the story is sub par and the "philosophy" stuff treats the gamer like an idiot. I was super pumped for this game but I'm gonna pass now. Guess I'm not culturally informed enough or whatever. Seriously they can get fucked with those ridiculous comments.

Saruhashi

Banned
Its fun? Its got combat?

The graphics. I look at how awesome a traditional MGS game with this engine would be.

That's it? Just the graphics?

Let's say I'm looking for a game to play instead of Death Stranding right now? Any recommendations?
Must be current gen. Not MGSV.

Cleared_Hot

Being attacked by MULEs can make you lose all your cargos, the game gives you enough possibilities to scout their location and take them out quietly. Or avoid them completly.
Collecting materials gives you the chance to build several things, making your runs easier and participate in a vast online community, that is completly unique in terms of helping and communicating with each other.

I hate how people word their hate for the game the way it sounds so one dimensional and stupid.
It's like saying "Man, GTA is only driving and shooting, so boring". That's just wrong.
Bro, based off everything you said, it sounds pretty fucking one dimensional and stupid. I mean you're honestly trying to sell us on delivering stuff. Then it's like oh there's bad guys "you can totally avoid them" ... Oh. Sooo it's a walking simulator where you have to try not to trip.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
No deflection. Your statement makes zero sense,nor did you explain why the one users statement was foolish.

It's foolish to think that if people don't like what you did, you're a failure.

Game designer, writer, engineer. It doesn't matter.

And I shouldn't have to explain this to any of you.

DarkBatman

Bro, based off everything you said, it sounds pretty fucking one dimensional and stupid. I mean you're honestly trying to sell us on delivering stuff. Then it's like oh there's bad guys "you can totally avoid them" ... Oh. Sooo it's a walking simulator where you have to try not to trip.

You just ignored nearly all of my points.
I would accept you not liking the game, but you're trying to demolish every positive opinion on the game.
There were several points I mentioned, you've only decided to look at one and AGAIN used words to make that one sound one dimensional.
People like you are the one extreme of this stupid DS discussion - trying everything to make it look bad, even if their comments make no sense at all.

Last edited:

Yes,these are all mechanics that have been done before (better in games like Subnautica). Most of these mechanics are boring and not fun. They fill like chores that drag on for several hours. Not good game design. Avoiding tripping on rocks is something i'd never thought i'd see in a game and for good reason.

DarkBatman

Yes,these are all mechanics that have been done before (better in games like Subnautica). Most of these mechanics are boring and not fun. They fill like chores that drag on for several hours. Not good game design. Avoiding tripping on rocks is something i'd never thought i'd see in a game and for good reason.

Other games have done them better before, yeah, right. You aren't even trying anymore, are you? :messenger_winking:

Freeman76

If you want a laugh, check the re-tardera thread about this. A lot of them cunts are obviously who Koki is addressing here, as tears are FLOWING hahahah

Bryank75

Banned
Minecraft comes to mind. It’s pretty tedious in every aspect. You can die of hunger, get attacked by Zombies at night, have to literally make everything while starting with nothing, But from how it sounds, Minecraft seems more fulfilling and more fun than Death Stranding. Tedious can be fun.
Depends on the person, my son loves Minecraft but I played it tried to get into it and couldn't, yet I love Death Stranding......

But gamers are a diverse crowd.

DarkBatman

Many of those mechanics,yes. Subnautica for instance.

No game did the online mode like DS. And I love the game sooo much for that.
Building things in the word and see how others are interacting with them as well as using things other players build - the perfect feeling of a connection, a bond between players.
The others element may have been better in other games (in your opinion), but if I'd look at every game like that, I'd hate myself.

Kojima's pretentious Cali-wankery fartthoughts have completely turned me off from bothering with his newer games any more. And that's sad, because when they showed the monsters for the first time in that one gameplay demo I became VERY intrigued with the game.

But between seeing "gameplay" on various streams and seeing his arrogant remarks on anybody with valid criticism over the game (and now making this about "stupid 'Muricans"...even though you're trying to cozy up with 'Murican actors and Hollywood, funny that), I'm just done. Death Stranding might just be the most pretentious empty-fart of a game this entire generation, and Kojima is its daddy.

This comes down to one thing; I am a busy guy. I see a game and allllll the videos show you just running around delivering shit. The game takes over 60 hours to complete. Bro. I get an hour, two if I'm lucky, every couple days. I'm not wasting it on this fucking game. Plus all I've heard is that the story is sub par and the "philosophy" stuff treats the gamer like an idiot. I was super pumped for this game but I'm gonna pass now. Guess I'm not culturally informed enough or whatever. Seriously they can get fucked with those ridiculous comments.

Exactly. It's really some of the marketing around the game and, recently, Kojima's comments, that just turn me off from wanting to give this a shot. And I love weird games; Cosmology of Kyoto, LSD, D2, etc. Thankfully those games didn't have the creators trying to show those games off by taking photo-ops with Hollywood celebs and music artists over, well, showing off the ACTUAL game, and they didn't shit on critics of their game who live in a particular country simply because they aren't eating it up as the second coming of Jesus Christ.

In fact, those games just...came out, did their thing and whatever audience came to like them, came to like them. They were humble about it the whole way through, the complete opposite of the arrogance we've been seeing from Kojima (and even Sony's PS division more recently).

I'm not rewarding that. I'm not playing a game for 10 hours until it starts to get good, I can spend that time playing legitimately fun games. And whatever "message" DS wants to educate me with, I can very likely find done better in a film that actually presents itself as a film instead of masquerading as a video game.

...Might sound particularly angry on this one, but Kojima's recent stuff and the pretentiousness surrounding this game's really been grating me. Sadly I see it becoming the norm with AAA games going forward and the industry's going to pay the price for it big time.

Last edited:
That's it? Just the graphics?

Let's say I'm looking for a game to play instead of Death Stranding right now? Any recommendations?
Must be current gen. Not MGSV.
Gee,like i don't know where you are going with this :/
But sure: RE 2,Spiderman,Sekiro,Mario Odyssey,Sunset Overdrive,Dishonored 2,Stardew Valley,Ori and the Blind Forest,The Witcher 3,Zelda BOTW,Divinity Original Sin,XCOM 2, RDR2,DOOM,Pillars of Eternity,BloodBorne,Bayonetta 2,Dues Ex MD,GOW,Horizon ZD,Monster Hunter World to name a few

Aceofspades

Banned
He can, I don't think he was controversial or bitter in his response at all.....He basically said Americans are more into shooters, less thinking, less nuance and complexity in their games...….In essence, they like their games with less layers....

Less pillow layers ... sensie-sama

Building things in the word and see how others are interacting with them as well as using things other players build - the perfect feeling of a connection, a bond between players.
The others element may have been better in other games (in your opinion), but if I'd look at every game like that, I'd hate myself.
Ever heard of Minecraft? You should try building things in subnautica. At any rate, the things u just mentioned do not interest me. Leaving random ladders for others to cross is not my idea of bonding,nor some never been done idea.

Ever heard of Minecraft? You should try building things in subnautica. At any rate, the things u just mentioned do not interest me. Leaving random ladders for others to cross is not my idea of bonding,nor some never been done idea.
And a single man treading on foot a great portion of the game across a massive country(due to magical BT senses)carrying dozens of crates as the only means to connecting a country seems silly and not realistic. I have so many issues with the game.Best thing Kojima did was choose the Decima engine to power his game.

Dunki

This comparison does not work. The Interaktion through the asynchronus multiplayer is incredible. The Terrain efen transfirms depending hie many people used the same way. Examples dirt roads

Alebrije

Let’s wait for the sales and legs of this game. Sony must be waiting for the sales next week.. and this holiday. Maybe Konami saw this after MGSV.

I like DS but know not all the people can handle lots of time just walking and doing nothing on large open areas , it’s hard to sell that kind of gameplay everywhere.

This comparison does not work. The Interaktion through the asynchronus multiplayer is incredible. The Terrain efen transfirms depending hie many people used the same way. Examples dirt roads
So that is supposed to sell me and erase all the countless flaws in the game? I'm not a online,multiplayer kind of guy

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LOL 333 you just called the game out for being "unrealistic". like what games are you even playing? every video game ever made is unrealistic. Mario breaks bricks with his head! imagine that! FPS games let you hide for 30 seconds to recover from bullet wounds. how can anyone stand such unrealism???

like LOL what is your favorite game, Microsoft Power Point?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
So that is supposed to sell me and erase all the countless flaws in the game? I'm not a online,multiplayer kind of guy

You're the one coming in here stinking up the place, most of us wouldn't even know you exist if you weren't here complaining about the game incessantly.

The question is rather: what would sell you on the game? If nothing, your time would probably be better spent elsewhere.

DarkBatman

If you don't like so many things that DS does, why not leave this thread and enjoy some hours of Subnautica?
Seems to be your cup of tea.

Dunki

No but it shows what Death standing does differently and why it was never been before. And that is what I was answering

Also the gameplay loop does not change but the way you you traverse through the world does. If you still walking around after 8 hours you are doing something wrong. You can use bikes, Trucks. hell you can also build whole systems of zip lines. And the Multiplayer plays also into this

edit: Example:

Last edited:
He can, I don't think he was controversial or bitter in his response at all.....He basically said Americans are more into shooters, less thinking, less nuance and complexity in their games...….In essence, they like their games with less layers....

summary in one word:
Mcdonald

You're the one coming in here stinking up the place, most of us wouldn't even know you exist if you weren't here complaining about the game incessantly.

The question is rather: what would sell you on the game? If nothing, your time would probably be better spent elsewhere.
As oppose to stinking up a thread by bashing anyone who finds the game bad? You don't have to love a game in order to have the privilage to post your opinion.Read the OP. The creater of the game is basically insulting a nation of gamers as being too ignorant to understand his game. I am posting my reasons why i thihk its a bad game

Roni

Gold Member
Read the OP. The creater of the game is basically insulting a nation of gamers as being too ignorant to understand his game. I am posting my reasons why i thihk its a bad game

If this is what you derived from the OP then you need to play this game more than anyone else... This type of overreaction is at the core of the game's message.

PS: You're overreacting.

Last edited:
If this is what you derived from the OP then you need to play this game more than anyone else... This type of overreaction is that the core of the game's message.

PS: You're overreacting.
Its simple. Many people have explained why they feel DS is a very flawed game and it has nothing to do with Murica or guns. If you or others can't take a different,more negative view of the game,then perhaps YOU should leave and get back to playing DS,stop being too emotionally attached to the game/designer.

Top Bottom