• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Death Stranding Had Stronger Criticism in the US, Possibly Because It Flies Above Shooters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This thread kinda validates we need a "Laughing at you" emoji to separate the "Laughing with you"

"I'll just watch the cutscenes on YT"
giphy.gif

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Let's be honest, being a space postman isn't very sexy, even if you're Norman Reedus.

But yeah, there are regional markets more willing to embrace this or that over others. If european markets are leaning towards it, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Has a very old-school, experimental, pioneering home computer feel to it, almost Elite-esque.

It's amazing how much Death Stranding manages to remind me of so many other games all at once but still feel fresh and original.
It def will be the simulator Jeff Bezos and his ilk in the shipping industry will use to train their employees

Lone Wolf

I haven't bought Death Stranding yet. I'm gonna wait for PC for better frame rates so I don't know if I have much valid to say. I imagine if I played the game and didn't like it, I'd be pretty offended by this. I don't just play shooters. I have a lot of shooting games, granted, but I also enjoy other genres. To say that Americans don't like your game because they just like shooters sounds really pompous yet insecure at the same time.

Some IGN reviews of non cookie-cutter/shooter games
Journey was - 9/10
Gravity Rush 2 - 8.4/10
Dark Souls 3 - 9.5/10
The Last Guardian 7.0/10

Just to name a few. All were rated above DS. The evidence doesn't support his reasoning. Again, I haven't played the game, but maybe Kojima focused too much on the art and forgot to include what matters most in a GAME....it's supposed to be FUN. Fun is strongly subjective and individualistic so if Kojima is referring to IGN's criticism, really he's talking about one person's opinion.

Hopefully, he takes a moment to see the swaths of people defending his game to the death....who also live in America.

Asshole.
The IGN review was from the Australian office by an Australian man. So it’s not a good example of Americans not liking the game. Kojima needs to reevaluate what he thinks he is seeing.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The IGN review was from the Australian office by an Australian man. So it’s not a good example of Americans not liking the game. Kojima needs to reevaluate what he thinks he is seeing.
Edited for kindness

Maybe Kojima isn't reflecting on IGN?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was? Didn't know that, but I just checked the IGN guy's profile and yeah Aussie.... _AU tag.

So Kojima is sore at a 6.8 score, thinks it's an American who did the review, but turns out it was an Aussie guy?

lol

thelastword

Banned
You completed it already?
The guys who hate this game the most, are the guys who's spent 50-70 hours in this game non-stop, hate the story but could not put the controller down...…...Right?.....So many hours invested in this game, finished it before all the guys who love the game so far.......Now they are done with DS, they are on forums telling us how much they hate this game, "boring, walking simulator, trash story..........".....which they spent 50-70 hours playing.... :messenger_smirking:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was? Didn't know that, but I just checked the IGN guy's profile and yeah Aussie.... _AU tag.

So Kojima is sore at a 6.8 score, thinks it's an American who did the review, but turns out it was an Aussie guy?

lol

What does Kojima mean by "It flies higher"?

KiNeMz

Banned
If Kojima is brewing in anger over a 6.8 IGN score, where is he criticizing all the English and Aussie folks who gave WORSE scores?

If you look at Metacritic, many of the worst scores come from UK and Aussie/NZ sites.

Aussies?????? How dare they not understand high flying art.

I think eveyrone in this thread needs to indentify where they are so we can identify peoples "KOJIMA ART" level.

Australia here.
KOJIMA ART LEVEL = "Mover, but not quite there yet"

BTW Death Starnding is 10/10

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The guys who hate this game the most, are the guys who's spent 50-70 hours in this game non-stop, hate the story but could not put the controller down...…...Right?.....So many hours invested in this game, finished it before all the guys who love the game so far.......Now they are done with DS, they are on forums telling us how much they hate this game, "boring, walking simulator, trash story..........".....which they spent 50-70 hours playing.... :messenger_smirking:
That's the old Howard Stern mantra of haters.

The people who'd hate his show the most would some reason listen the most.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm guessing you're not referring to the reviewers, who would have needed to finish the game to properly review it.

I'll admit there have been times where I've played a game to it's completion and the feeling I was left with resembled disgust.

Lone Wolf

Edited for kindness

Maybe Kojima isn't reflecting on IGN?
I’m not sure, I just wanted to make sure that everyone isn’t automatically assuming that IGNs review was from the USA. Also, if you average the scores based on region, the scores are worse in other regions.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's not a "low hanging fruit".....
So basically he's saying first-person shooters is an easy homerun if you want the Americans to like your game.

Americans love Dark Souls....
Americans love Metal Gear...which isn't primarily an FPS.
Americans love Final Fantasy
Americans love Persona
Americans love Ninja Gaiden

I mean I can keep going...

thelastword

Banned
That's the old Howard Stern mantra of haters.

The people who'd hate his show the most would some reason listen the most.
Something is a bit off with that type of logic..."you hate it so much, you want to be near it all day, feel it, touch it"...…>Reminds me of the guys who speak the worse of gay people, but somehow are always near or at a gay bar......If you hate something, I'm thinking you would stay away, but I'm miffed...Seems to be some hate-luvin...

I'm guessing you're not referring to the reviewers, who would have needed to finish the game to properly review it.

I'll admit there have been times where I've played a game to it's completion and the feeling I was left with resembled disgust.
Not the reviewers, read the post which TGO quoted and others who have similar sentiments in this thread.....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So basically he's saying first-person shooters is an easy homerun if you want the Americans to like your game.

Americans love Dark Souls....
Americans love Metal Gear...which isn't primarily an FPS.
Americans love Final Fantasy
Americans love Persona
Americans love Ninja Gaiden

I mean I can keep going...
Americans (western country gamers as a whole) are the MOST diverse in genres and gaming franchises. Ok, the average American or gamer from Europe or Canada isn't into Hentei games, dating sims, and playing games where the goal is to do Photo Mode peeking at teenagers in a window, but for the usual genres western gamers can buy and love anything.

If Kojima wants to criticize gamers for being closed minded, where's his egotistical high brow balls to complain fellow Japanese gamers skew to a small number of genres?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Something is a bit off with that type of logic..."you hate it so much, you want to be near it all day, feel it, touch it"...…>Reminds me of the guys who speak the worse of gay people, but somehow are always near or at a gay bar......If you hate something, I'm thinking you would stay away, but I'm miffed...Seems to be some hate-luvin...

Not the reviewers, read the post which TGO quoted and others who have similar sentiments in this thread.....
Well I dunno. The game doesn't lend itself well to streaming. I stopped watching after an hour. I kinda wish I didn't do that because I was still hyped for the game even after the reviews came out. I don't think the streams made me feel like the game was trash...it just made me realize that I can wait to play it on PC.

The guy TGO was quoting who called the game trash, played it for 50+ hours?

Justin9mm

Game looks gorgeous, I'm genuinely interested in the story line. I really appreciate the gruelling development that has gone into this, it looks like a lot of love has been put into the game. I'm very fond of Norman Reedus.

However! I don't have 60 plus hours to spend on this and I especially know that the gameplay will bore me well before the 60 hours. I don't think this game is bad, its just not for everyone and definitely not for the casual gamer. I accept that and I move on. I will most likely buy from the bargain bin just to try it but I know there are other games I will enjoy a lot more for my money and time because I don't have time for this one.

That's my criticism without shitting on the game because I haven't played it. I think it's one of those games that has a mixed bag of reviews which you cannot rely on because the game is very obscure and so people need to at least appreciate that.

thelastword

Banned
Well I dunno. The game doesn't lend itself well to streaming. I stopped watching after an hour. I kinda wish I didn't do that because I was still hyped for the game even after the reviews came out. I don't think the streams made me feel like the game was trash...it just made me realize that I can wait to play it on PC.

The guy TGO was quoting who called the game trash, played it for 50+ hours?
Well, when a game is novel or tries something new, best way to experience it is to play it yourself, especially if it's divisive......There's no other way to know if you like a game but o play...….I refused to wait till the PC version, because by then everything will be spoilt, just reading some of these threads, some people even say a bit too much......I've avoided many spoilers/youtube/videos, even now as I'm playing......There's no way I understand people watching a game they've not played on YouTube.....

The guy TGO was quoting said the story was trash, so it is assumed that he has completed the game...……..

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, when a game is novel or tries something new, best way to experience it is to play it yourself, especially if it's divisive......There's no other way to know if you like a game but o play...….I refused to wait till the PC version, because by then everything will be spoilt, just reading some of these threads, some people even say a bit too much......I've avoided many spoilers/youtube/videos, even now as I'm playing......There's no way I understand people watching a game they've not played on YouTube.....

The guy TGO was quoting said the story was trash, so it is assumed that he has completed the game...……..
Good point...and I did plan on buying it day 1 anyways. I gotta question though. Hows the replayability? If it's good then I might still buy it on PS4. 30 fps and I don't have a pro, so I know it's not gonna look as good, I'd consider it though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good point...and I did plan on buying it day 1 anyways. I gotta question though. Hows the replayability? If it's good then I might still buy it on PS4. 30 fps and I don't have a pro, so I know it's not gonna look as good, I'd consider it though.

It looks fantastic on the base unit and gameplay is locked 30fps. No dips, etc..

Lots of replay, the game is huge. Hard to progress you get so sidetracked. It is a game you have to physically play to understand the nuance of the controls.

No YouTube video generation will be able to replicate or even come close to letting you know what it plays or feels like. It’s intuitive that way.

thelastword

Banned
Game looks gorgeous, I'm genuinely interested in the story line. I really appreciate the gruelling development that has gone into this, it looks like a lot of love has been put into the game. I'm very fond of Norman Reedus.

However! I don't have 60 plus hours to spend on this and I especially know that the gameplay will bore me well before the 60 hours. I don't think this game is bad, its just not for everyone and definitely not for the casual gamer. I accept that and I move on. I will most likely buy from the bargain bin just to try it but I know there are other games I will enjoy a lot more for my money and time because I don't have time for this one.

That's my criticism without shitting on the game because I haven't played it. I think it's one of those games that has a mixed bag of reviews which you cannot rely on because the game is very obscure and so people need to at least appreciate that.
Well, there's no need to rush a purchase if you have your reservations......

If you purchase it though, two things can happen..

1.) You start the game and can't put it down and that 60 hours you didn't have flys buy (where di the time go 🤔)…..or
2.) You thinks it's too slow paced and it will bore you before hour 60 as you are now thinking....

Thing is, if it's time you don't have, I'd suggest putting in a hour every night before bed and doing a bit more on weekends......Not all games have to be "don't stop playing before the final credits roll" this is a long game, so doing a bit here and there is really the best approach if you are time-strapped...….By the first few hours, you should know if you are intrigued enough to want to continue this journey.....

DS looks good on both consoles.......Replayability is there because you can approach things so differently in the game, but there's so much to do in DS, I think you will be content just exploring, doing side missions and trying new ways to get to your destination.......It's really up to you how you want to play and how much time you want to invest......I'd imagine the world stays open after you complete the story line too.....I'm not done yet....

It's so funny, how idiotic Kojima worshippers are, guess what? All of Kojima games have sold better in North America compared to Japan. All of his Metal Gear Solid titles (except PSP and Vita games) have been selling well. Heck, even Zone of Enders have sold better in North America. Kojima is very salty over a review

Last edited:

To be fair, the story drags more and more and the writing worsens. The last 2 chapters are pathetic to sit through. Starts off really strong though.

I hope he never transitions to cinema because the amount of exposition the guy writes is off the charts.

Last edited:
To be fair, the story drags more and more and the writing worsens. The last 2 chapters are pathetic to sit through. Starts off really strong though.

I hope he never transitions to cinema because the amount of exposition the guy writes is off the charts.
The fake credits scene on the beach, oh my god......

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It looks fantastic on the base unit and gameplay is locked 30fps. No dips, etc..

Lots of replay, the game is huge. Hard to progress you get so sidetracked. It is a game you have to physically play to understand the nuance of the controls.

No YouTube video generation will be able to replicate or even come close to letting you know what it plays or feels like. It’s intuitive that way.
SIDETRACKED!? So there are sidequests? Hidden bosses? are the sidequests interesting?

urmie

If he said this about China, he would be bending the knee about now. I guess Japanese don't understand FPS because there are no underage scantily clad cartoon gals in them.
Generalizations are fun see? I'm sure he loves that American money though.

When you resort to generalizations like Kojima did, it means he didn't have any good arguments to begin with. Guys like him live in a bubble of worship, shame to see him so weak from criticism.

That being said, I would welcome a further statement from him on it, in case there was a mis-translation.

GHG

SIDETRACKED!? So there are sidequests? Hidden bosses? are the sidequests interesting?

Yes there sidequests but it's not the primary reason why most people will get sidetracked.

I was only able to play for an hour yesterday but spent that time sneaking around various mule camps stealing materials needed to build roads and bridges so I could contribute towards the online road network that was being built in my session. Managed to get enough stuff together so that it could be completed and now two main delivery hubs are fully connected across ~5km of rough terrain and enemy camps (along with connecting 3 minor hubs along the way). All the other players who happen to join that session will find traversing the map much easier and there are certain other side missions I'll be able to easily complete without having to physically deliver them myself (I won't spoil how that works, it's something you gain access to mid way through chapter 3).

And that's just it, the game has a lot of depth in a whole host of ways. Glancing at a stream doesn't convey what it's like to play for yourself, it nor does it provide any context behind the actions or motivations of the player who is actually streaming the game. It's one of those things you have to try for yourself to know if you'll like it because there's nothing else out there like it.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Kojima: I consider myself 70% film (we can all safely assume that means primarily American film)

Kojima: Americans don't get it.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I haven't played Death Stranding yet, nor do I plan to in the near future (maybe if it's on sale). So I just went ahead and watched a bunch of cutscenes on Youtube (there are 9 hours of cutscenes. 9 HOURS!!! WTF?!).

What the hell? This is the most unoriginal and obtuse plot I've ever seen in a videogame. It's just Neon Genesis Evangelion in game form without the humongous mecha and prettier graphics.

1836._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So Kojima is treading familiar ground that was already laid out by Hideaki Anno. Gimme a break.

Assuming that the intention of the statement from Kojima-san is somewhat correct, there is another factor at play, which is likely less visible to most, and probably even to Kojima-san himself.

As someone who has worked for 20 years in gaming journalism first in Italy and then internationally for American sites for the last 10 years, I have noticed that journalists from most European nations have a VERY different approach compared to the American ones (also among themselves, but the difference with the US is very stark).

Many European journalists tend to be affected a lot less by the "I need to criticize this game from a popular developer/franchise because makes me sound smarter and more refined" which affects the North American (most definitely not South American, which is closer to Europe in attitude) press a whole lot. That's why we get fewer reviews that appear written by a snobbier, stuffier version of Rogert Ebert in Europe than we get in North America.

European press is still closer to the traditional idea of "enthusiast journalism" that we had in the nineties and early 2000s, in which writers were fans of games and gaming first, and journalists second. This attitude has faded a lot more in North America.
Your mileage may vary on which is best.

Another large difference (which probably doesn't apply much to this specific case) is that identity politics have not taken as much hold in Europe as they did in North America, and this most definitely influences reviews. There's one less parameter to bitch about if it doesn't fit the reviewers' views. For instance, In Italy, I can think of only one journalist who pushes politics all the time in his coverage, and he isn't exactly respected for that.

It doesn't surprise me at all that IGN Italy and IGN Spain gave Death Stranding high scores, while IGN US gave it a mediocre score. It's perfectly in line with the two different views of gaming journalism across the two continents.
While I would like to think you are right on this. It was eurogamer itself who started the whole kingdom come deliverance racial bullshit. And they have a far left bent on a lot of things while also pushing idpol. Unfortunately it's not just the US that has idpol "journalists" stuck in an echo chamber of elitist snobs, who push the idpol bs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Assuming that the intention of the statement from Kojima-san is somewhat correct, there is another factor at play, which is likely less visible to most, and probably even to Kojima-san himself.

As someone who has worked for 20 years in gaming journalism first in Italy and then internationally for American sites for the last 10 years, I have noticed that journalists from most European nations have a VERY different approach compared to the American ones (also among themselves, but the difference with the US is very stark).

Many European journalists tend to be affected a lot less by the "I need to criticize this game from a popular developer/franchise because makes me sound smarter and more refined" which affects the North American (most definitely not South American, which is closer to Europe in attitude) press a whole lot. That's why we get fewer reviews that appear written by a snobbier, stuffier version of Rogert Ebert in Europe than we get in North America.

European press is still closer to the traditional idea of "enthusiast journalism" that we had in the nineties and early 2000s, in which writers were fans of games and gaming first, and journalists second. This attitude has faded a lot more in North America.
Your mileage may vary on which is best.

Another large difference (which probably doesn't apply much to this specific case) is that identity politics have not taken as much hold in Europe as they did in North America, and this most definitely influences reviews. There's one less parameter to bitch about if it doesn't fit the reviewers' views. For instance, In Italy, I can think of only one journalist who pushes politics all the time in his coverage, and he isn't exactly respected for that.

It doesn't surprise me at all that IGN Italy and IGN Spain gave Death Stranding high scores, while IGN US gave it a mediocre score. It's perfectly in line with the two different views of gaming journalism across the two continents.

Very well said!

GHG

Within one month of Disco Elysium's release which got great reviews from almost everyone which has absolutely no combat? Nah, I don't buy it.
Heck, I guarantee you DS will get more GOTY nominations/awards than Disco Elysium

I think a key thing to realise is the fact that the general audience for PC games and console games are different in a lot of ways. PC gamers tend to be more open to giving a chance to games that are very different, hence there are a wide range of different types of unique experiences that thrive on the platform. It's engrained in the culture of PC gaming, the vast majority of the major gaming genres were born on the platform. It's a place where new ideas are given a chance and innovation can thrive.

Everything from Euro Truck Simulator, to Disco Elysium, to Rimworld, to civilization, to Divinity Original Sin, etc. Games that have a big following on the PC but only have a niche following on consoles (should they even release).

There's a reason why a lot of the biggest PC titles never see console releases, and it's not primarily due to input methods. The ROI simply wouldn't be worth it.

It will be interesting to see how it's received on the PC, but it might already be tainted and the trolls are dedicated to panning this game everywhere with a level of enthusiasm and dedication I've not witnessed for quite some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom