• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was 'fired' by Konami, says Metal Gear Solid voice actress

ShogunDarius

May 30, 2013
Hideo Kojima was "fired" by upper management at Konami, according to tweets made by Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes voice actress Donna Burke.

"Yes don't throw away the Kojima teams work over the last 5 years because upper management fired a genius," Burke tweeted earlier today.

When asked whether she had just confirmed that Kojima was fired, Burke replied: "yes but it's been out in the media for weeks..but it's true"
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/kojima_was_fired_by_konami_says_metal_gear_solid_voice_actress.html

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
May 9, 2009
Was about to make that thread.

Here are the tweets.

So sad.

Looks like people really answer with pre-order cancellations of MGSV. Even the japanese voice actor of Snake (Akio Otsuka) chimes in.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Jul 18, 2014
Geez. Expected it, but to actually see it confirmed...man...they must be nuts for real. Hope Kojima starts his own studio with the rest of the teams.

RootCause

Feb 6, 2015
I loled at the genius part. Sucks about him getting fired. Can't imagine mgs being better for his departure.

Cider

Nov 11, 2014
Oh man I hope she doesn't get into hot waters for "confirming" it or whatever. Japanese business people can be weird about that shit.

Alienous

Jan 20, 2013
I don't think she's in the loop.

She probably reached that conclusion the same way we did. I don't imagine she has Kojima's personal phone number.

RAIDEN1

Aug 2, 2013
That being the case, Konami's long-term rivals could easily snap him up....I'm looking at you Capcom!

dragonlife

Jan 5, 2008
We need some light shed on this whole situation. Maybe once he moves on he can talk about it, but probably not, huh?

Fisty

Jun 26, 2014
Eh i dont know, im still thinking its an Alan Smithee thing. Konami said no and Kojima decided to leave and take his name off the game. There's no way they fired him, he keeps them employed and his name literally prints money

Magwik

Banned
Jul 30, 2013
Detroit, MI
twitter.com
Is this going to be another thread where people say Konami is doomed even though they make money from a ton of other shit?

It's really interesting though whatever went down between the two. Hopefully someone can dig up what it was, would make for a great read

Seth Balmore

Mar 15, 2011
Good to get some insight, but I truly hope there are no majorly bad repercussions from those tweets. I was tired of the main parties involved tiptoeing around the issue. The situation with the Kojima Productions logos and the "A Hideo Kojima game" line being removed from existing products and then restored was ridiculous, as was the total radio silence on social media and the like. Honestly, I hope Kojima and whoever decides to follow him can completely cut ties with Konami after MGSV launches.

SJRB

May 10, 2012
I really wonder what happened. It must be something truly outrageous considering how much of a free pass Kojima seemed to have.

Either that or Konami are just a bunch of clueless morons.

#AHIDEOKOJIMAGAME

Terrified

Mar 19, 2014
I hope one day there's some in-depth investigation into what's gone on here. Something relatively huge must have happened for them to actually fire Kojima. Would be really, really interesting to hear what actually went down...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jun 9, 2004
www.eurogamer.net
Don't understand why Konami management has such disdain for its fans. They been spitting in our faces for years now. They may make a lot of money from pachinko and health clubs but surely they understand that their rich history of IP could be used to make a lot of money as well. They wasted time farming them out to teams incapable of delivering what fans were looking for and deemed them a failure. Kojima and crew really was the last bastion of Konami. Without them they're basically useless to gamers.

KojiKnight

May 24, 2012
It's not like Kojima will have problems finding work... I'm sure there are already offers flying in for him from all over... The question will be will he take one? Or make his own studio? Or take an early retirement?

Dryk

Aug 22, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
I had no idea who she is, but it turns out she was the narrator/main theme vocalist for Crystal Chronicles so she's alright by me

Oh man I hope she doesn't get into hot waters for "confirming" it or whatever. Japanese business people can be weird about that shit.
From the sounds of it she wouldn't mind Konami never wanting to hire her again

Houndi101

Feb 5, 2015
I want to think there's some sort of Kojima ruse buried in here, but this shit must affect sales and the companys status in the stock market so much they wouldn't allow it

AdventureMike

Jul 20, 2011
I'm also interested to know what this would/does mean for Silent Hills? Does this potentially can the game? How much was Kojima directly involved in that development?