• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was 'fired' by Konami, says Metal Gear Solid voice actress

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Konami must be exceptionally pleased at how many people take their party line and can't read between the lines whatsoever.

Sure Donna Burke did a fine eye-roll when she was asked to "clarify". Yes he's not fired and been pushed out the door, we've just locked him in the front porch for the rest of the year and the front door will magically open for him to leave all of his own accord in December HURRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR~

Yeah there is nothing more to it.

I'm sure Kojima and his team are not allowed to talk about this freely is just because nothing bad happened at all, everything is sunshine and rainbows over there.

This is you:

ibbcgznauuzwl4s9jo8.jpg

Your post totally misses everything I have already said previously. It was one page back and you couldn't even do that. Sad. I clearly stated that Kojima-san was screwed over, so where did I mention it was "Sunshine and rainbows" for him? I was talking about the situation with Donna.

It honestly doesn't make a difference whether he was fired or not. The outcome was always going to be the same. Konami changed policies and fucked up the entire KP division. So fired or pushed out doesn't make a difference to me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Your post totally misses everything I have already said previously. It was one page back and you couldn't even do that. Sad. I clearly stated that Kojima-san was screwed over, so where did I mention it was "Sunshine and rainbows" for him? I was talking about the situation with Donna.

Yes you think Donna knows as much as a little fish like you or me. What makes you think you know as much as the lead singer of MGSV and other Konami projects?

I'm sure she has contacts over at Konami and knows what she is talking about.

Oh and sad is that you thought I believe in that stupid Chico is Quiet theory, that is sad.

tfoh.gif

Loakum

Banned
Exactly. There is nothing more to it. She made a fuck-up in claiming he was fired and she had to fix it. End of story.

Dude, it's obvious some serious turmoil happened between Kojima and Konami, and folks are very tight lipped about it, which usually means they CAN'T publicly speak about it....as she probably just found out.

Yes you think Donna knows as much as a little fish like you or me. What makes you think you know as much as the lead singer of MGSV and other Konami projects?

I'm sure she has contacts over at Konami and knows what she is talking about.

Oh and sad is that you thought I believe in that stupid Chico is Quiet theory, that is sad.

tfoh.gif

I never said Donna doesn't know much. I said she made a fuck-up with how she presented the situation to the public. Do you honestly read the nonsense your fingers type before hitting the "Submit Reply" button? My god. Every time you post on GAF, this happens to me:

strafe_game_head_mind_blown_explosion_reaction_gif_by_digi_matrix-d8hd5dw.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I never said Donna doesn't know much. I said she made a fuck-up with how she presented the situation to the public. Do you honestly read the nonsense your fingers type before hitting the "Submit Reply" button? My god. Every time you post on GAF, this happens to me:

Then what the hell do you mean with that?

I highly doubt that was Konami. She doesn't work for Konami, so I doubt they have any power over her. She was contracted at a moment in time for music and it's long done.

So who else made her change her previous comment if it wasn't Konami?

She even mention "Konami" in that statement, do you even read what she wrote?

Then what the hell do you mean with that?

So who else made her change her previous comment if it wasn't Konami?

She even mention "Konami" in that statement, do you even read what she wrote?

If I made a public statement as a Journalist about President Obama claiming that he did one thing, when in reality he did another and they asked me to fix my fuck-up so that a needless riot doesn't happen over a lie, shouldn't I? Konami is being put in the context that they are forcing her for censorship of some sort, when in reality, they probably asked her to fix a HUGE fuck-up that caused a massive uproar and was started by something that wasn't entirely true. Yes, they changed his contract, but he is still working with them currently to finish TPP, so he was not fired. He's quitting in December after his contract is up.

Neph1x

Neo Member
Will be interesting to know what really happened as I can't see a Japanese company doing anything that would lower their profits.

Also, I find it very amusing how people are referring to Kojima as "Kojima-san".
Don't see why you would ever mix Japanese honorifics into another language but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Mr. RHC

Will be interesting to know what really happened as I can't see a Japanese company doing anything that would lower their profits.

Also, I find it very amusing how people are referring to Kojima as "Kojima-san".
Don't see why you would ever mix Japanese honorifics into another language but hey, whatever floats your boat.

rgedp.png

Dawg

I highly doubt that was Konami. She doesn't work for Konami, so I doubt they have any power over her. She was contracted at a moment in time for music and it's long done.

Small correction. She does VA work too. She's the voice of the iDroid in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Neph1x

Neo Member

Is that 「オスカー・クローデル」 from 「異国迷路のクロワーゼ」?
Maybe he's called "Claudel" or some such in English? Honestly don't remember.

RobCrossley

Neo Member
"hasn't been fired"

------

"free to leave in December, which he will"

So he's been fired then. What even was the point in Rob Crossley posting that? Contradictory doublespeak. Gotta keep your friends at Konami close I suppose.

Was somewhat disappointed to see some users on this forum characterise me as a Konami puppet for stating that Kojima wasn't fired.

Was also surprised to see people make these assumptions without realising that it was my story, on GameSpot, which broke the news that Kojima will depart in December. This is the same article that brought to light the power struggles at Kojima Productions, as well as a communications block in effect: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

If you look at the details of that story, and the claims on here that I have no insight or editorial independence, I think it shows some people's own distrust of the press is actually preventing them from obtaining the right information. It also shows people are willing to publish false claims (such as the one quoted) without any serious thought, and with little cross examination from others. If this is deemed acceptable conduct on NeoGAF, then fine; such actions speak for themselves.

There is an update, by the way. Donna Burke, the actress who originally claimed Kojima was fired, has retracted her statement: https://www.facebook.com/donnaburkesinger/posts/10152831633942406

What lucky company will get Kojima now I wonder?

Sony would be perfect
Kojima could take over a team at Sony Japan (huge studio) - maybe even Team ICO (the ceo works as a freelancer)

At Sony he would have the budget, the technological power and a Publisher who is very open minded

What lucky company will get Kojima now I wonder?

He will start his own independent studio.

Still expect a big publisher to back it though. Sort like EA and Respawm.

There is a case for any of the 3 platform holders. Sony because they have had a great relationship over the years, MS because they can offer the most money, Nintendo because they also get along, would have a new system coming and could use a big "get" and as always Nintendo is in need of fresh top level creatives.

Cant see any of the other major Japanese pubs getting behind him just because they are all in various levels of on fire.

Maybe a wild card western publisher would try backing him but they only seem to back guys who can release games every year or two and that was never a Kojima thing.

onanie

Was somewhat disappointed to see some users on this forum characterise me as a Konami puppet for stating that Kojima wasn't fired.

Was also surprised to see people make these assumptions without realising that it was my story, on GameSpot, which broke the news that Kojima will depart in December. This is the same article that brought to light the power struggles at Kojima Productions, as well as a communications block in effect: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/kojima-expected-to-leave-konami-after-mgs5-inside-/1100-6426024/

If you look at the details of that story, and the claims on here that I have no insight or editorial independence, I think it shows some people's own distrust of the press is actually preventing them from obtaining the right information. It also shows people are willing to publish false claims (such as the one quoted) without any serious thought, and with little cross examination from others. If this is deemed acceptable conduct on NeoGAF, then fine; such actions speak for themselves.

There is an update, by the way. Donna Burke, the actress who originally claimed Kojima was fired, has retracted her statement: https://www.facebook.com/donnaburkesinger/posts/10152831633942406

After the closure of KP, there will surely be new openings at Konami.

BadWolf

There is a case for any of the 3 platform holders. Sony because they have had a great relationship over the years, MS because they can offer the most money, Nintendo because they also get along, would have a new system coming and could use a big "get" and as always Nintendo is in need of fresh top level creatives.

Sony is the best choice honestly, his games have been associated with their systems since the PS1 and the majority of his fans are on that side of the fence still. Sony is also known to given their devs a good amount of independence and control iirc.

MS has a much more limited audience and is irrelevant in his home country. Going to MS would require abandoning Japan. This is the path Sakaguchi took after leaving Square Enix and he is now making mobile games.

Nintendo is well... Nintendo. They have a more specific audience. Throwing money at stuff in hopes of attracting a new audience isn't really an answer (see Bayonetta 2 and W101).

Jingo

Konami wont lose anything, if the rumors are true and konami just wants to release a "almost yearly" edition of metal gear, they will do a lot of money, doesnt mather if the game is great or not, it has the metal gear brand in it, just like assassins creed can fuck up all they want and ubisoft are still selling those games like hot bread every year.

In the end konami will end up making more money from this, those " oh no i will never buy a metal gear without kojima" are bullshit, times heals everything, kinda remind me when hayter was replaced by kiefer and everybody went nuts saying they wouldnt buy the game bla bla bla, now the same ones are saying that keifer was the right choice all along, loool.

Kojima will make another big game in other company, its a win win situation.

sörine

Banned
This is the path Sakaguchi took after leaving Square Enix and he is now making mobile games.
Okamoto meanwhile aligned with Sony around the same time and he's also now making mobile games. So are other PS favoring Japanese auteurs (Mizuguchi, Okada, etc). I don't think it really means much.

Surprised this post isn't getting any attention.

BadWolf

sörine;159924820 said:
Okamoto meanwhile aligned with Sony around the same time and he's also now making mobile games.

It's not like he didn't get enough chances though, Genji, Genji 2, Folklore etc. all weren't exactly hits. And with the kinds of games Mizuguchi made, mobile is probably a good fit.

Sorry but I have more confidence in Kojima than that.

Xiao Hu

To be honest I don't think that Nintendo have the guts/interest working with Kojima, and neither has he reciprocally. Of course it would be a potent tool for the PR to have Kojima join Nintendo because names of directors and producers start to become steadily relevant and connected to their products. "From the director of *insert important series here*" just has this curious ring to it, you have so much potential if you can use that prestige but I don't assume the current Nintendo are smart enough to use it. Especially if they tend to halfass every effort of winning back the majority of consumers.

Justified

Easy, the blind loyalty is rampant in these threads.

Im a Kojima fan also, but its a lot of people jumping the gun calling Konami "evil", "bastard" "committed corporate suicide, because they have nothing now", etc.

I tried to have a legit conversation with some who have taking the "Konami f-ed up" stance, and was called a Konami apologist also. Only because I prefer not to call out either side saying its their fault.

I did argued in Konami defense that they are not releasing much info because Kojima is in fact still a contractor for them. So whatever happen my still be internally protected information that they cant release it, and not that they are trying to hide damaging information. Thats as far as Im willing to speculate

catmario

It's like a Schrödinger's Kojima.
Both fired kojima and living kojima are existing in Konami... :(
Anyway... I hope this situation won't affect release of Phantom pain.

Justified

It's like a Schrödinger's Kojima.
Both fired kojima and living kojima are existing in Konami... :(
Anyway... I hope this situation won't affect release of Phantom pain.

It wont, since Kojima will be there through the release...unless of course it gets delayed

Easy, the blind loyalty is rampant in these threads.

Im a Kojima fan also, but its a lot of people jumping the gun calling Konami "evil", "bastard" "committed corporate suicide, because they have nothing now", etc.

I tried to have a legit conversation with some who have taking the "Konami f-ed up" stance, and was call a Konami apologist also. Only because I prefer not to call out either side saying its their fault.

I did argued in Konami defense that they are not releasing much info because Kojima is in fact still a contractor for them. So whatever happen my still be internally protected information that they cant release it, and not that they are trying to hide damaging information. Thats as far as Im willing to speculate

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised, though one wonders if we'll ever get the full story from either side.

Gabe3208

Banned
I don't see how this doesn't "seem" to be causing Konami any anxiety. When I think of Konami, I think of MGS, I think of Kojima. I mean that's just me. So you take him out of there and things just don't stick!!!

Just like when I think of Nintendo, I think Mario, and Miyamoto. Imagine if Miyamoto was fired 😳

KyleHarrison

Neo Member
I don't see how this doesn't "seem" to be causing Konami any anxiety. When I think of Konami, I think of MGS, I think of Kojima. I mean that's just me. So you take him out of there and things just don't stick!!!

Just like when I think of Nintendo, I think Mario, and Miyamoto. Imagine if Miyamoto was fired 😳

Pretty much my take on it. Kojima and Konami are synonymous with eachother to me.

It also just makes me think back to all the really awful E3 presentations and phone-in videos, and just how incredibly terrible the entire line up was except for PES, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear franchises.

Btw, maybe this was already mentioned elsewhere? But how does this affect Silent Hills? Is that still happening now?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Pretty much my take on it. Kojima and Konami are synonymous with eachother to me.

It also just makes me think back to all the really awful E3 presentations and phone-in videos, and just how incredibly terrible the entire line up was except for PES, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear franchises.

Btw, maybe this was already mentioned elsewhere? But how does this affect Silent Hills? Is that still happening now?

Doubt it. Since seemed like Kojima was heading up everything and am sure the same goes for his contacts with the others involved.

Without his guidance the project is either going to be shelved or turn out to be not too hot considering Konami had no idea what to do with the IP for the longest time now.

Konami wont lose anything, if the rumors are true and konami just wants to release a "almost yearly" edition of metal gear, they will do a lot of money, doesnt mather if the game is great or not, it has the metal gear brand in it, just like assassins creed can fuck up all they want and ubisoft are still selling those games like hot bread every year.

In the end konami will end up making more money from this, those " oh no i will never buy a metal gear without kojima" are bullshit, times heals everything, kinda remind me when hayter was replaced by kiefer and everybody went nuts saying they wouldnt buy the game bla bla bla, now the same ones are saying that keifer was the right choice all along, loool.

Kojima will make another big game in other company, its a win win situation.
What made you think Konami can still make great games minus Kojima, when every other game franchise on their watch had died off?
Where is Castlvania? Where is Silent Hill? If Konami is actually capable of making great games they would already be making them. Your argument compltely ignores the fact that two great game franchises have already died, and that there is no reason this time would be any different.

Instro

What made you think Konami can still make great games minus Kojima, when every other game franchise on their watch had died off?
Where is Castlvania? Where is Silent Hill? If Konami is actually capable of making great games they would already be making them. Your argument compltely ignores the fact that two great game franchises have already died, and that there is no reason this time would be any different.

Well its fair to point out that neither of those franchises sold like Metal Gear has over the years.

Well its fair to point out that neither of those franchises sold like Metal Gear has over the years.

The common theme is that neither of these franchises were controlled by Kojima. And soon, the Metal Gear franchise would join them.

All three were made by Konami. If Konami could make great games in the modern day without Kojima, we see no proof of it.

sörine

Banned
It's not like he didn't get enough chances though, Genji, Genji 2, Folklore etc. all weren't exactly hits. And with the kinds of games Mizuguchi made, mobile is probably a good fit.

Sorry but I have more confidence in Kojima than that.
Do you have more faith in Kojima than Sakaguchi as well then? I mean it's not like the Gooch didn't also get multiple bug budget tries (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Last Story).

Top Bottom