• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima was 'fired' by Konami, says Metal Gear Solid voice actress

They give so little shits about their videogame side, so why the hell aren't they just selling the damn thing off instead of burning it to the ground? It makes no sense. Certainly someone in the industry would pay big bucks for MGS, PES, and their massive back catalog.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He could very well come back and become the president of Konami. I don't know if I want to believe all this.

Silent Hill is doomed if this is true. This could also be Konami pulling our legs. He has close connections to these people.

kewlbot

I'm glad metal gear v is going well but im really worried about silent hill
i wish we could hear something about it, is it cancelled or are they getting a new team to work on it?

konami made a horrible decision. kojima's work made konami what it is today
i highly doubt they can make a better mgs game without kojima because they really havent been able to make a great silent hill without team silent

I really hope Nintendo, Sony and MS keep their hands out of this. I don't want to see Hideo's games locked to one platform. He makes games everyone needs to play

I dont want him to make mobile Games or small-budget Games...If he wants to create an ambitous new IP - he will need a big load of Money - So either Sony/MS/Nintendo or a big Studio will take him over

I dont want him to make mobile Games or small-budget Games...If he wants to create an ambitous new IP - he will need a big load of Money - So either Sony/MS/Nintendo or a big Studio will take him over

Have we been able to figure out if he gets to keep Fox Engine and such?

A Kojima with a super great graphics engine would be invaluable to..........juuuuuuuuuuuuuust about anyone.

mattp

A Kojima with a super great graphics engine would be invaluable to..........juuuuuuuuuuuuuust about anyone.

why would he get to keep fox engine? all of that tech was developed for konami. they own it. it would make no sense for them to just give it to him to take away
maybe they could license it to people?
but at the same time that sounds like something konami doesn't even want to get into
my guess is it just fades into nothingness because konami isnt going to make videogames any longer

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm hoping Sony is courting him. Not to steal his games from other platforms but their ties to Hollywood and support for third and first party on projects will go a ways more than Microsoft just throwing money or the limited install of Nintendo.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

He was able to say "you can't use Fox Engine for Silent Hill" to Konami, so I assume it's his.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. "Cyberland" is not a reliable source.

faridmon

i hope Kojima won't become irrelevant like Itagaki now that he is stripped of his signature games and konami's IPs.

Itagaki isn't irrelevant. He is working with Nintendo with his dream project and alot of devs wish that they were in his position.

Konami needs to be THQed at this stage. THQ going bust was good for gamers and their IPs. They do not deserve Metal Gear, Contra, Castlevania and all the Hudson stuff they have.

1081.gif

Yes, 5,500 people should lose their livelyhood because you don't like how they treat their video game IP. That is totally something that should happen. /sarcasm

Jessmo111

Banned
Arnt Kojima, and Miyamoto friends? Omg Nintendo Court him love him. Give him 1/2 the company here's your chance?

P.S. Is celebrity Demi-god developer begging the same as port begging?

P.P.S My body is not ready for kojima at sony or nintendo. :-(

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Arnt Kojima, and Miyamoto friends? Omg Nintendo Court him love him. Give him 1/2 the company here's your chance?

Not sure they'd fit together :X
Miyamoto said:
Probably the biggest challenge, or I should say the biggest question was whether this game would be really called "a game" and whether this new genre of games can be appreciated by players. I don't want to criticize any other designers, but I have to say that many of the people involved in this industry -- directors and producers -- are trying to make their games more like movies. They are longing to make movies rather than making videogames. In the case of our team, we are not intending to make movies.
Just joshing, that's actually from a super old interview about Miyamoto and his games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can see the meeting now:

"Hey, I have an idea, let's severely damage our reputation and likely lose a bunch of money for a viral marketing gag!"

"Great, we'll get right on that!"

"You mean cancel the revival of one of our notorious franchises that had a superb playable teaser that no one else does for their games?"

"Yes, that's the one - We're doing stuff..important stuff.. that we don't even know yet".

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kojima needs to record himself singing Snake Eater, so I can cry over this news properly.

I give my life not for honor but for yooooouuuuuuu~...

You are not ready for Kojima at Sony? The company that has his largest fanbase and where his games started and most of his stuff resides? Really?

Personally, I'd rather see Kojima go the way of Mikami.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Maybe after TPP someone will let Kojima direct a movie. It's what he's always wanted to do but couldn't because of the Metal Gear Money Printing Machine.

And me thinking Kojima finally had the balls to leave Konami (which he should have done after MGS2), but not even that. Oh well, at least now he should make something new.

Kojima hinted several times in the past years at episodic content and smaller dev cycles, which made me think that TPP would have been the first MGS with DLC stories. Now I fear that KONAMI alone will stretch that concept in the wrong direction. Do you think there will be any major DLC campaign? And if there will be one, who will develop that content for them?

Spoo

Is it an impossibility that Kojima would still work with Konami on a contract basis for Silent Hills? Seems like it would be real stupid for Konami to toss that to someone else -- you already have a team that knows how to use Fox Engine really well, has a game plan, people set up, voice actors...

Even if this wasn't a planned event, I have a hard time believing Silent Hills is really dead because of this.

BBboy20

It would be terrible to not ever again play another installment of these franchises, but at the rate things are going it could very well be a possibility in the next 5 to 6 years if things continue as is.
Sometimes, it's better to let things die if their is nobody worthy of making them.

This is the wrong thing to do here.

It's still Kojima and Kojima Productions game which they've been working on for over 5 years now.

Of course Kojima wants his last Metal Gear game to be a huge success.
How much of the cut will be now? Would it matter in the end? Does purchasing it new strengthens Konami's desires to annualize the franchise? Tough position.

Konami needs a serious re-org after this... they need to truly have talented and dedicated teams to each of their franchises... for a company that owns Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Contra, Castlevania, Pro Evolution Soccer, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dance Dance Revolution, etc.... they shouldn't have such wild quality issues. Dedicate an internal team to each major franchise and let them grow together. It works with Nintendo... the blueprint is right there!
If Konami cared, all those franchises would have never fallen to begin with. Why would they care now in this toxic age of AAA games?

synce

I must be the only one not upset over this... I'm actually kind of excited to see what a Kojima-less will be like. Maybe the protagonist will be a cute anime girl. That would be cool.

Just please don't give the series to a cheap western studio.

why would he get to keep fox engine? all of that tech was developed for konami. they own it.

Yup. Kojipro is owned by Konami and so is the Fox Engine. It would be crazy if they spent multiple years and resources developing this engine only to give it up to one of there (former) employees. Kojipro still exists as a studio, but they have been renamed to Konami LA (or something like that), Konami is not going to scrap this engine. They will more than likely use it for the future installments of Metal Gear that they plan on making. They may even keep Silent Hills in production for all we know. Seems crazy to drop a product with someone as big as Guillermo Del Toro attached to it. They already have the pre-promotion rolling with the PT demo.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I feel like Kojima should go work for Take-Two, get that same setup deal that those Rockstar guys get. Of course, if he doesn't deliver then he'll get the Ken Levine treatment. But, I think Take-Two would be willing to risk a substantial investment in Kojima.

ultra7k

Maybe sometime in the future we'll see a video like the one Sakaguchi did that details the "real" story. Sigh.

Sakaguchi
Matsuno
Inafune
Kojima

I am sad.

Top Bottom