• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami has issued a statement saying MGS Collection will be 1080p60 on consoles.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How are you gonna be able to do the Psycho Mantis trick on these new consoles?

Dude is a serious pain in the balls to take out normally

BlackTron

I wonder what FPS these games would get running in an emulator on a hacked Switch.

Not making excuses for Konami, genuinely curious. HD collection is the originals remade as a PS3/Xbox 360 game. And they are really just bringing over the exact same old collection, running in an emulator, down to the 2012 copyright on the title screen. They aren't hiring Bluepoint Games to remake and recompile the games for a new platform again. So, I wonder what the state of Xbox 360/PS3 emulation is on Switch these days? It's not that hard to believe it can't do it over 30 FPS.

Power Pro

This is still so stupid how they're doing with the Switch version. The PS2 version ran up to 60FPS for MGS2 for cryin' out loud, so releasing a remaster on more powerful hardware that is actually worse in performance than the original version is some straight up bull shit.

BlackTron

50% speed at most, in the lightest scenes.

Switch CPU is absolute shit.

This remaster is a port, nothing to do with emulation whatesoever.
Nobody has come out and directly stated it, but every piece of info I see points to it being a disc image running in an emulator. From the original C 2012 title screen, to only controller support on PC (no keyboard binding), to these performance specs, to Konami saying this presents the games "as they were". Where's the remaster? There isn't one.

Whether it is a port or ROM is a different story, but appears like ROMs to me.

I wonder what FPS these games would get running in an emulator on a hacked Switch.

Not making excuses for Konami, genuinely curious. HD collection is the originals remade as a PS3/Xbox 360 game. And they are really just bringing over the exact same old collection, running in an emulator, down to the 2012 copyright on the title screen. They aren't hiring Bluepoint Games to remake and recompile the games for a new platform again. So, I wonder what the state of Xbox 360/PS3 emulation is on Switch these days? It's not that hard to believe it can't do it over 30 FPS.
They're not using emulation for MGS2 and 3, they've done a few touch ups on certain things. Original HD Collection versions had a bug where the codec took like 2 seconds to load in MGS2, that has been fixed. People have also noticed a graphical issue with Snake's laser sight on the tanker has been resolved also.

Source for the codec thing:

Regardless, Bluepoint are now Sony 1st party. I don't think Konami could use their help if they wanted it.

BlackTron

They're not using emulation for MGS2 and 3, they've done a few touch ups on certain things. Original HD Collection versions had a bug where the codec took like 2 seconds to load in MGS2, that has been fixed. People have also noticed a graphical issue with Snake's laser sight on the tanker has been resolved also.

Source for the codec thing:

Regardless, Bluepoint are now Sony 1st party. I don't think Konami could use their help if they wanted it.

Well be it Bluepoint or another studio, my point was that they didn't appear to be doing it, regardless of who.

If it's indeed a port, the specs are pretty insanely bad. Not gonna lie, I don't see Konami as having the desire or chops to do a port in a new architecture. But if you say so. Sometimes things are tweaked despite emulation, such as when Nintendo upped the quality of textures in SM64 for the Switch triple pack. It was still a N64 rom, despite their adjustments. The stuff you are talking about falls in the same realm of plausibility.

Well be it Bluepoint or another studio, my point was that they didn't appear to be doing it, regardless of who.

If it's indeed a port, the specs are pretty insanely bad. Not gonna lie, I don't see Konami as having the desire or chops to do a port in a new architecture. But if you say so. Sometimes things are tweaked despite emulation, such as when Nintendo upped the quality of textures in SM64 for the Switch triple pack. It was still a N64 rom, despite their adjustments. The stuff you are talking about falls in the same realm of plausibility.
I assume the Switch version existing to begin with is a sign of a port and not emulation, even if the performance isn't ideal. It just doesn't have the specs to emulate the 360 to any reasonable degree.

BlackTron

I assume the Switch version existing to begin with is a sign of a port and not emulation, even if the performance isn't ideal. It just doesn't have the specs to emulate the 360 to any reasonable degree.

Excellent point, Nintendo ports their own PowerPC games to Switch. It's just hard to imagine how they have the technical chops to port over an entire game and have it actually work and run natively, but not at 60FPS with superior hardware. Just, how.

Excellent point, Nintendo ports their own PowerPC games to Switch. It's just hard to imagine how they have the technical chops to port over an entire game and have it actually work and run natively, but not at 60FPS with superior hardware. Just, how.
No clue personally. All of Konami's other efforts with re-releases of old games have been pretty top notch. ZOE2 on PS4 does 4K 60fps with new textures not present in the PS3 remaster, and VR support. There may be some odd factors at work?

I did consider the possibility of Vita emulation for the Switch version, but looking at footage of the Vita being emulated it's definitely not that either. Massive slowdown, visual glitching, without accounting for the fact that MGS on Vita ran at a very similar resolution to the PS2 originals (basically the same, but in 16:9 as opposed to 4:3), and this collection brings them up to 720p or 1080p depending on the mode on Switch.

Edit: The uploader even said he has the Switch running at the maximum possible clock speeds, so that rules that out out even further.

Last edited:

RaduN

Nobody has come out and directly stated it, but every piece of info I see points to it being a disc image running in an emulator. From the original C 2012 title screen, to only controller support on PC (no keyboard binding), to these performance specs, to Konami saying this presents the games "as they were". Where's the remaster? There isn't one.

Whether it is a port or ROM is a different story, but appears like ROMs to me.
It's a straight port, most likely from the Vita version code, which was a complete fucking mess.

As i said, for many reasons outside of actual performane, emulation is completely out of the question. Completely.

Liamario

Banned
Under no circumstances should a person with self respect buy this. For those of you who are lacking in self respect, do you need a hug?
stop-it-get-some-help.gif

Last edited:

Ben87fr

Remember the Silent Hill Hd Collection ? When i see some people saying that konami did good with re-releasing their old games i'm thinking whattttt ? Zone of the enders was far from perfect also, the xbox360 version was a bit fucked wasn't it ?

VulcanRaven

I hope Konami will patch this.

Remember the Silent Hill Hd Collection ? When i see some people saying that konami did good with re-releasing their old games i'm thinking whattttt ? Zone of the enders was far from perfect also, the xbox360 version was a bit fucked wasn't it ?
I heard Zone of the Enders 2 was great on PS4 and it was in 4K. It was released in 2018.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Zone of the enders was far from perfect also, the xbox360 version was a bit fucked wasn't it ?
Zone of the Enders was THAT bad that Konami had to pay another studio to report it and offer it as a patch! The game went from 720p with 20-30fps to 1080p with 60fps. High Voltage was hired to do it first and then HexaDrive did it the second time.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Quake 2 switch has better specs.

Fark you konami

Back in the days of the snes/MD you would have worked your magic.
Embarrassed Shame GIF

mrcroket

I think you could
shoot the statues to make him weaker. Campbell tells about it if you can't change the controller port and you keep calling him.
Wow I didn't know that, and I played the game 24 years ago (yikes) plus a lot of runs over the years.

Esppiral

If it is using xbox 360 emulation 9n Switch (PS3 is out of the question) it would be huge.

Konami has now clarified to VGC that the game will render at the following resolutions:

• All platforms except Switch – 1080p / 60 frames per second target
  • Switch (docked mode) – 1080p / 30 frames per second target
  • Switch (handheld mode) – 720p / 30 frames per second target

That's honestly all I'm asking for. I don't have a 4K TV, so 1080p/60FPS is exactly what I want.

BlackTron

If it is using xbox 360 emulation 9n Switch (PS3 is out of the question) it would be huge.

Everyone here knocked some sense into me and yeah it probably isn't emulation but I mean. You can't blame me for entertaining that idea. It really does seem like it. Like maybe it's really insane emulation instead of a really shitty port lol.

Doesn't have to be one or the other. Maybe MGS1 is running in a PS1 emulator. Things will probably be more clear once the game is out. I know Switch carts only get so big and this is a hefty collection but even with the low performance. I would probably have bought it if the games actually came on the cart. I wonder if any of them even work at all without a download? Even MGS1? I just don't want a physical game that's reduced to being useless in the absence of your Nintendo account. And is a necessary unlock key to play digital content on your SD card. May as well just get the digital version.

Esppiral

Everyone here knocked some sense into me and yeah it probably isn't emulation but I mean. You can't blame me for entertaining that idea. It really does seem like it. Like maybe it's really insane emulation instead of a really shitty port lol.

Doesn't have to be one or the other. Maybe MGS1 is running in a PS1 emulator. Things will probably be more clear once the game is out. I know Switch carts only get so big and this is a hefty collection but even with the low performance. I would probably have bought it if the games actually came on the cart. I wonder if any of them even work at all without a download? Even MGS1? I just don't want a physical game that's reduced to being useless in the absence of your Nintendo account. And is a necessary unlock key to play digital content on your SD card. May as well just get the digital version.
I am pretty sure that older MGS games are emulated I doubt MGS2 and 3 are though

BlackTron

I am pretty sure that older MGS games are emulated I doubt MGS2 and 3 are though

Well sure there's no chance the NES game is a port lol.

2 and 3 are in a really interesting place where almost nothing has changed and it's practically all the original assets down to the date on the title screen. But it's a port. A strange crossroads of technical competence and "what happened"? that is truly vexing. Almost like CEO of Konami was like "I want you to port it exactly the same it was" when outsourcing the work lol

Killer8

Well, it's better than 720p at least. It's actually on my radar now on PC, where I expect modders will unlock the resolution further in a matter of days.

That said, i've played plenty of MGS2 and 3 on Xbox Series X via BC, and both games in 720p look shockingly good on a 4K display. It punches well above its weight somehow. So 1080p should look sufficient enough for Master Collection, even if not optimal.

Throw some dlss at it and upscale to 4K.

To be honest they could probably throw FSR at it to upscale from 1080p to 4K (or even 720p) and it would look pretty good. That's what a lot of modern games seem to do with decent results.

Kerotan

Thank god for traditional home consoles otherwise we'd be playing these in 720p 30fps on our Xbox and playstation portables.

Top Bottom