• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami has issued a statement saying MGS Collection will be 1080p60 on consoles.

Tsaki

Surprising. It gets to the absolute minimum floor with 1080@60 (Switch gets shafted though). Watch being output at 1080p and the actual resolution is 720p.

Game journos don't spread misinfo for outrage clicks challenge: IMPOSSIBLE

Anyway, 1080p is fine for MGS2 and 3 anyway. 2160p is overkill for PS2 games frankly, the difference in visual is minor. Smaller than the difference between 720p and 1080p, I would argue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Many 7th gen ports to PS4 ran at 30fps

Besides the game on PS3 and X360 drops to 20fps

You be completely fine when games in 7th gen couldn't even hold 30fps

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

R* could have made the new port 60 if they wanted to. They can easily release a patch for RDR2 as well. But why bother when you can milk with new versions down the road.

Drizzlehell

Banned
chernobyl-not-great.gif

At least it won't be a downgrade compared to the HD Collection from 2012. But still, it shows a supremely lazy attitude that they didn't try to make it run in 4k on consoles that are 2 generations ahead of what was done before. Not to mention that these games are over 20 fucking years old. Pathetic.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
*2022*
- Konami shows three Silent Hill games and a new movie based on the second game
- rumors about Metal Gear surface
- Castlevania stuff
- is Konami back?!

*early 2023*
- MGS 3 remake and a collection are announced
*later 2023*
- no news about Silent Hill
- MGS Collection runs at 1080p on PS5 and Series X

Mr.Phoenix

I hope this finally puts to bed what the difference between a remaster and a remake is.

Konami... just hell bent on pissing their IPs away.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why? If the Switch can render it at 1080p, why is the PS5 and XSX rendering it at the same resolution?
Lack of technical prowess left over there, nor will they spend the resources on it since they know gamers buy up trashgrabs based on IP name alone.

MiguelItUp

Pretty wild that they're not even bothering to do 4K. It is definitely possible across all hardware sans Switch I'm sure. At least hopefully PC will mod it in, but we'll see.

This really makes me want to wait on purchasing it though.

Switch is very long in the tooth. Unfortunate because it'd probably be my preferred platform but not at 30 fps / 720p.
It is long in the tooth. That being said, it is more powerful than both the 360 and PS3 which ran these games at 60fps. Fuck, even the ps2 ran them at 60fps (at least MGS2 did anyway). Absolutely no excuse from Konami here, this is gonna be a lazy fucking port.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't understand why they wouldn't put a little more effort into it.
4K & HDR grading for MGS2 is a must.
They bother to take it up to 1080p so I'm not sure why they stopped there, especially when PS5 has a native version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It’s an artistic choice.
You might actually be right.
Rendering at 4k may bring out some stuff we're not ment to see it such clarity.
I remember Blue Point said in God of War HD Collection they had to redo a area because the original had a flat static background showing a hall that wasn't noticeable in the original but when it was upgraded to HD you could tell it was just a bitmap image.

Aaron Olive

There is no excuse for anyone here that played these when they first came out or HD remastered to buy this shit now.

Since the average demographic of Neogaf is 30-35 I know most of you’ve already played MGS. Stop being pussy ATM’s for these shitty Companies and stand up!

Fabieter

We had another game collection on the switch with 3 games running roms. I dont think this is a bad package at all, sure they could have done more but I think the pricing is reasonable for what they offer.

Seider

Do you think Metal Gear Solid 2 at 30 fps 720p is running through emulation on Switch?

Could it run at 60 fps if it was done in native code?

EDMIX

Yea, most people have shit PC's. Doesnt mean 1080p is better.

Agreed.

Plus, of course many might be still using 1080p on Steam, they are also fucking putting out shit like this collection that literally continues to support it running at that shit resolution lol More might run in 4K, if MORE GAMES like these remaster factored 4K.

This collection is a waste and Konami can't even be fucking trusted with a remaster lol

Apocryphon

I have put off replaying MGS for forever. I wanted to get it for my Vita but you need a PS3 to transfer it for some stupid reason, and the PC port wasn’t great. This will probably the the best way to play it so I’m in for that I think.

CGNoire

Game journos don't spread misinfo for outrage clicks challenge: IMPOSSIBLE

Anyway, 1080p is fine for MGS2 and 3 anyway. 2160p is overkill for PS2 games frankly, the difference in visual is minor. Smaller than the difference between 720p and 1080p, I would argue.
Its not about visuals. Its about a lack of aliasing giving it a pre rendered look.

Last edited:
Yes, MGS2 already runs at a locked 60fps on PS2 and Xbox, whereas MGS3 is only 30fps with frequent dips into the 20s on PS2.
When devs get too ambitious, that what happen

As PS2 games that ran at 60fps weren't ambitious like Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Red Faction

PS3/Xbox 360 games at sub-HD couldn't even ran at 30fps

proandrad

Zone of the Enders 2 is 4K on PS4 Pro so there is no reason why this can't be.

They have the updated textures from the old HD Collection.
Both consoles have enough vram so that shouldn’t cause any performance issues. Fuck it, game should have a 8k60fps quality mode and 4k120fps performance mode if they want to charge $60 for PS2 games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom